Those of you who actually work as software engineers/programmmers, when do you come into work and when do you go home?

Those of you who actually work as software engineers/programmmers, when do you come into work and when do you go home?

My first job out of college really shilled good work life balance but people consistently work from 8AM to 7PM. People with families. Been told by senior guys at this place that its even worse out west.

I just wanna work my 8-4 and go home, lads.

Attached: comeonnow.jpg (500x313, 20K)

>shilled good work life balance but people consistently work from 8AM to 7PM
Never trust a manager. Ask actual employees.

Attached: 1508362577029.jpg (750x468, 66K)

Actual employees told me the same thing. I had the chance to meet them separately during the interview and ask real questions.

Ask them why they lied to your face.

>that image
That's why you always use an IDE and never use any ebin Jow Forums-certified software

Nigga, did you even read the OP? Other employees said it was a good work life balance relative to what it could be out west in the bay area.

Then maybe OP needs to ask for actual hours worked instead of if it is "good" work life balance which can be relative.

came here to post this

t.east coast US
Old hob was 10 to 4. (startup)
New job is 9 to 6 (Fortune 5, with a lot Pajeets)
>depends on the corp. culture.

Perhaps if you cunts were any fucking good at your jobs you could go home at 4pm like the network team does.

my place is flexible af and dont care too much but generalyl 9-5

The secret is not to work for a software shop. Work for a company that does something else and incidentally hires developers.

i work from 7 to 21, 350 euro/month
eastern yurop

That is exactly where I work, though. We make industrial products and only have 9 software folks myself included.

I have quite a few years of experience (I've seen enough and have enough money that I don't take any bullshit from any company) and I'm quite good at what I do. I was going to work at 6:00 AM, skipping lunch, and going home at 2:00 PM.

If you're actually good at what you do and you are working hard, there is absolutely no reason to do any overtime with a company unless they compensate you for it either in the form of a much higher salary, equity that actually is worth something, or a bonus that is actually paid out.

You have to be willing to call your manager/company out on their bullshit and stand your ground. If you do not, you'll always be underpaid and you'll always be doing a lot of overtime to compensate for the mouthbreathers who make about the same as you do but don't any work.

Dang, sorry to hear that. You should listen to this guy

I work from home. It's nice.

Based, although I've been NEET for the past two years because of this attitude

I get to work about 9:30-10am, take lunch at 11:30am generally, get back around 12-12:30pm, maybe 1pm if we go somewhere different, leave at 4:40pm, get home a couple minutes later since I live next door.

Then play games, watch tv or do some minor junk with my server or whatnot if I feel up to it (which I rarely am) until about 12-1am, then head to bed and get smothered by my two cats.

And you work where? And don't give me the dox meme, nobody cares that much.

There's no need for the guy to state where he works. I can tell you that there are jobs where there are faggots who show up in the late afternoon and then go home a few hours later and yet never get fired. You just have to find a very large company that's badly managed at the upper levels and then work for a manager who doesn't have the balls to do something that will cause people to dislike him.

I come in at ~10:30, leave at 6-6:30 except on Friday when I leave at 3:30-4:30.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you have enough saved to last things out and I hope you find a good job soon. This is actually a pretty good time to look for work before a recession kicks in (we're really late in the business cycle). Get yourself a good job, do good work, and prove that if someone has to be fired, it should be everybody else.

Of course, you do have to be able to get along with other people. However, if you've kicked ass (and you have to be self-aware enough to know when you're awesome and when you're a moron), you can politely but firmly say "No" to the bullshit. If the manager insists, negotiate for money in writing, not comp-time or other bullshit that he can weasel out of.

If that results in your getting fired or laid off, it's not a company worth working for because your #1 job is to make yourself rich and your #2 job is to help the company. Make no mistake, the company's #1 job is not to keep its promises to you; it's #1 job is to make money either for the CEO or the shareholders.

While I have not always followed my own advice (much to my eternal regret), I have found that the less agreeable I am (within reason), the more money I make and the less I work.

I just leave when my time is up
Why the fuck would I slave myself out on a salary when the hours are defined.
We work in tech so we can make enough money sue niggas for treating us poorly.

Attached: C0E6CECB-1BE8-4C8D-B6FE-2C03D937F3AF.png (137x155, 44K)

oldfag programmer reporting in. i only work on projects where i meet face to face with clients about 2 times per month. work from home on my own schedule, so no commute time. usually start working on code around 9am, finish up around 4pm, and i take a nap during that time for about 1/2 hour. pretty mellow, good life/work balance.

Attached: 81+8pLuHPuL.png (512x512, 330K)

forgot, west coast

I am so jealous of network guys, realized my mistake my last semester of college and it's too late for me to turn back

Why did no one tell me network is the most c o m f y

No they go home at 3pm because they get in at 6am to break things that wakes everyone else up at 7am. 9/10 times shit breaks across the DCs or the tunnels between them breaks.

How did you get to this point?

You don't need a college degree to be a network engineer. With a CS degree, you should be able to easily get a job as a network engineer if that's what you want. If you have no intention of ever creating any IP, then be a network engineer. It's probably more stable work than being a developer since it's become critical company infrastructure that they will not risk going down.

I usually get in at 9:20am and get to leave between 5:30pm and 11pm
The job is also stressful beyond belief

I work 7AM until 7PM but thats only because Im depressed and have no friends, hobbies or interests. I got tired of video games and anime. I even work on the weekends part time, mostly researching or reading up on stuff for the next week in preparatiin or fixing bugs. Working distracts me from my meaningless life. If it wasnt for work I would have probably killed myself one day. I like to think Im semi good and people praise me for the work done. Most of my colleagues go home early but some stay longer with me even those mostly I dont expect them to do so.

I don't have a CS degree I have a Computer Information Technology degree w/ concentration in programming. It's a more specified degree that focuses on enterprise development and practices, rather than theory.

My other option was Computer Information Technology w/ focus on network (or sysadmin). This degree focuses more on networks, gets you A+/Net+/Sec+ certified, and the professors are realllllll chill

I'm learning python rn

how do i get a tech job? I want to get a good job with good pay and shit.

right now i'm trying to find problems in my life and fix them with computers, like hacking my neibors wifi and shit

you articulate like a nigger, you don't belong in tech

>get dev friend
>have him teach you what he do
>join boot camp/ have him vouch for you
>work at first company for a bit
???
>you're now a dev

bitch i work for GOP campaigns as a day job the fuck do you do

i have a friend in big data and a friend who does some kind of matinence. who do i bug once i finish teaching myself python?

I should also mention that my job directly involves money and we're only 12 devs who are responsible for millions of dollars a day.

But if it was easy I wouldn't do it.

>the fuck do you do
i'm a software engineer

plz teach me

Wanna become a dev?

Step 1: (you're here)
Learn 1 languages general syntax
(You should be able to complete hackerrank mediums with your language of choice)

Step 2:
Build an application
This application will involve multiple languages, and possibly a frame work.

Web applications are by far the easiest to get up and going. My resume for my first job was a LAMP web application I wrote in a week, and a MongoDB/Node.js authentication API I wrote using a tutorial

FINISH your applications too. Work on 1 at a time. Employers want to see completed projects, not 10 half assed projects

Step 3:
Learn git/how to deploy a web server/basic unix commands/agile
(You should also still be building applications

>work life balance
someone lied to you op

"Learning Python" is hardly enough to become a software developer

Can you deploy a web server? Do you know a framework? Are you familiar with enterprise best practices? What applications have you built?

Python by itself doesn't have much use in the enterprise world unless you're doing data analytics. In enterprise you'll probably be using python w/ flask or django

Nigga I do nothing and make six figs.
Computers do the work, not you silly chimp.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Attached: rubocop.png (225x225, 2K)

t. Pajeet with 24 years of java and haskell / golang / reactjsnativejs experience

Attached: PhotoFunia-1525929664.jpg (750x537, 117K)

i'm learning python. what should i learn after that?

also i want to make twitter bots to troll and spam and stuff like that

so i should learn flask and django after python?

>so i should learn flask and django after python?

Attached: eda hvat.jpg (734x729, 91K)

Learn flask, or django, not both.

Flask is easier to learn

Django is more relevant

if i have connections in politics as well, what kind of programming do i need for a job with those kind of companies?

I remember we had our own app telling us which houses to knock on and such, is it possible to use those connections to get something once i'm tech literate?

Generally work 9 to 6 with the occasional after hours or weekend stint. Can't get away from it since software doesn't sleep and management has little respect for other's time.
The real shitter is the commute. Takes an hour fifteen one way on a good day due to the NYC MTA's gross incompetence and petty spite towards its customers.

Attached: 1437926957459.jpg (825x757, 221K)

Politics? Web development. Except don't get into politics and programming. There's two professions that don't mix well with programming. Thats the medical field, and politics. Both doctors and politicians are equal levels retarded with managing anything involving computers

Federal government? Java, C++, but you just have to know those to get in. You'll actually be spending most of your time as a developer fighting bureaucracy and sitting in meetings. Also spend enough time in the federal government and you're basically no longer hireable as a software dev because you'll be stuck in legacy CRUD software and everyone will have moved on 3-4 generations of technology

i kinda had the dream of doing security for campaigns and being white hat GOP hackerman

i know influential people who could sign off on me once i have the skills, is this a viable career path?

Software engineer in test spotted

usually 9 to 5, but I can fudge the hours if I want. I have a strong work ethic so I dont usually

Thats not a job

don't pen testers do things like that? Test a campaigns security and give them a write up and get paid for it?

i never leave home

private contracting for life senpai

also lmao college cucks

>My other option was Computer Information Technology w/ focus on network
this is what i got
>, gets you A+/Net+/Sec+ certified
this did not happen for me
you take classes that "would prepare you for them" but they don't actually cert you or give you the tests for free or anything
of course, i can take 10 practice tests and average a 95%+ score on all of them and could go get certed if i wanted to, but it was just a waste of money imho because i landed a job anyway
>the professors are realllllll chill
by real chill, you mean absolutely fucking useless, teach you nothing, and blow 2 hour class periods with "uhhhh today you're just gonna play with the routers...if you have any questions ask me..." and that's it

>private contracting for life senpai
how do i get clients

No, that would be done by the campaigns hired security.

Campaigns aren't very technically involved

just constantly learning new technologies and then finding one in particular to get really good at so that people need me. also, i keep my hourly rate at a decent level so that i stay busy. when i was younger, i got caught up in the always-gotta-increase-my-rate game because i wanted to make as much money as i could, but i discovered there's a point at which you price yourself out of good projects. these days, my lifestyle is more important to me, so i'll give up some dollars in order to have flexibility and peace.

I'm an idiot. that post above was supposed to be a response to you.

Attached: dork.jpg (318x326, 19K)

>Python by itself doesn't have much use in the enterprise world unless you're doing data analytics
This is false

Today (technically yesterday) I started work at 9pm and stopped at 5am. The day before that I started at 4pm and stopped at 12am.

I work when and how long as I want to. The only thing I need to show up to during daylight is project meetings with the clients.

t. freelancer

Being awesome and thinking you're awesome are two completely different things

Fuck. The straight up bluntness and wording of this made me laugh harder than I have in ages. Thanks dude

Legitimately good advice though.

What's a good job title for someone who does a mixture of IT and programming (mobile & python)? Should I just call myself a software engineer?

code monkey

Attached: 5d0acd96.jpg (600x338, 18K)