>Good for analytics
>Good for AI
>Good for small/quick tasks

Java
>Extensive frameworks
>Great enterprise support

C++
>???

Seriously, what is this language good for? What exactly in 2018, would you make, where C++ would be the best programming language to use over all the other ones. Because I can't think of one case

Attached: cplusplus.png (1200x1349, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zBkNBP00wJE
youtube.com/watch?v=D7Sd8A6_fYU
mbed.com/en/platform/mbed-os/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Because I can't think
/thread

Speed, native applications, game engines, libraries with bindings for other languages, cross platform code, large applications, games.
Also, most projects you encounter in your career are legacy projects, they're already there and your job is to improve them or fix them.
but if you were an actual developer you'd already know all this.

If you NEED OOP features and almost C tier optimization, it makes sense. That's rare though.

high-performance scientific computing, but NOT really because of the language itself so much as the massive standard library. I can prototype new processing pipelines in C++ as easily as I can in python but with much, much better performance.

I stay the fuck away from OOP, so I don't see much value in C++ for that. But yeah, the above is my use case. I'm currently learning Rust as well.

>being too dumb for oop

I don't need the abstraction OOP provides, it literally never comes up.

I like oop for some things, but I don't agree with the oop philosophy of making methods anytime you're repeating code. Like I think it's so ridiculous that people will make an entire method for 2 lines of copy paste code that they're only ever going to be using twice. Okay you were going to write 4 lines of code in the first place, but now you've instead removed those lines, replaced them with some terribly named method, and now I have to jump to some random place in your code to figure out what the fuck you're doing

fair enough but that's not really something unique to OOP

>Seriously, what is this language good for?
It's good for large projects that need OOP and performance, like web browsers.
>b-b-but web browsers are slow
Yes, and they would be even slower if they had been written in python/java/whatever other garbage.

>but I don't agree with the oop philosophy of making methods anytime you're repeating code.
That's not unique to OOP at all (unless you're complaining about getters and setters, but then you are retarded).

>C
>>Good for embedded programming
>>Good for operating systems
That's C++

>what is this language good for?
Any time when you think "I need a programming language for this", C++ is the language for you.

These green blocks between the blue blocks are RAM memory. The dark green ones are in use (10kbyte). Would you rather use C or C++?

Attached: quartus_2018-11-07_02-08-44.png (823x1143, 98K)

C++

Except the entire Linux kernel is written in C

Intel (Altera) provides cut down versions of the C standard library, because those are literally too bloated. Wrong answer.

Attached: 1539037364309.gif (230x230, 1.54M)

C++ is not the C++ Standard Library

C++ doesn't provide much value without it's standard library. What, you want to use OOP? Wow you just shot yourself in the foot by polluting memory with VTBLs and precious cycles for function ptr lookups.

t e m p l a t e s l m a o

you're usually working with very specific data types, usually fixed point, templates don't buy you much at all

You seem to be mistaken.
The C++ standard library isn't required to use C++ and isn't all C++ has to offer.

k?

youtube.com/watch?v=zBkNBP00wJE

what the fuck in here do you need C++ for? He's using stuff you can use in C.

youtube.com/watch?v=D7Sd8A6_fYU

Interesting, sadly I do not know anything about C++ (yet). Still learning C, but will put in watch later. Thanks C++ bro.
Okay, now I am confused on who is right.

Attached: 1541069755694.png (400x450, 286K)

>He's using stuff you can use in C
No he's not.
Watch the entire video.

>I can prototype new processing pipelines in C++ as easily as I can in python
[x] extreme doubt

You wouldn't want to write an OS in c++. Much easier for portability to just write it in c. So much easier than using a huge and clunky c++ compiler

>You wouldn't want to write an OS in C++.
I do and I am.
C++ isn't Java.

>So much easier than using a huge and clunky c++ compiler
As if the difference between gcc and g++ matters. They're both huge and complex.

Oh and compiling C++ for freestanding is no harder than compiling C for freestanding.

Large scale, low latency software like trading platforms and of course vidya.

You're a fucking retard OP.

But that is once you have a compiler set up. It just takes more time to compile and is more a pain in the ass. To each there own though. If you like it and it works well for you then by all means go ahead. Just in my experience it's been more difficult.

>But that is once you have a compiler set up
Same with C
>It just takes more time to compile
It takes ages to compile GCC anyway, and it's a one time only thing. Who cares.
>and is more a pain in the ass
It's literally exactly the same process as with C.

>This nigga misunderstood modularity with OOP

Attached: 1540046932013.gif (464x387, 308K)

The more I learn about C++, the more I start seeing the appeal. I can't justify using it, though, because I've never written anything sufficiently complex enough to take advantage of it, though. The language is a monster but there's a lot of cool shit you can do with it if you buy into the OOP meme wholesale. Also being able to do functional programming at bare-metal speeds is pretty cool but I'm too stupid to wrap my head around that even though on paper Functional Programming is appealing.

Thanks for reading my personal blog.

Attached: baka considers the following.jpg (700x700, 127K)

That's modularity, not object-oriented programming.....

In that situation it's alright to not do it, but in a huge project, it really becomes useful to modularize

C++
>Because C is is inferior

I use c++ over c just for saner strings and smart pointers and vectors. Everything else is dumb bloat

It's a language that can do great things in the right hands. But most of the time it's in the wrong hands and so you usually work with horrible abominations that would almost certainly have more success running in a managed runtime. The reality is most people simply cannot be trusted with the level of control C++ gives you.

Except that you can use template libraries that work on your very specific data types.

C++ is good for embedded systems and operating systems.

t. Is making an OS for an embedded platform.

the speed of C with objects, so
>muh vidya gaem

>with objects
Yet another tard who thinks C++ is Java.

>java
>speed
top kek

The implication is that C++ is more than just OOP.
In fact no one gives a shit about OOP in C++ and little people actually program in that style.
C++ has it's own distinct style that is not OOP.

if it's not OOP then what is it?

game companies are moving away from all the C++ bloat though and use it more like C + objects.

C
>Good for embedded programming
>Good for operating systems
>Good for analytics
>Good for AI
>Extensive frameworks

Python
>Good for analytics
>Good for AI
>Extensive frameworks

C++
>Good for analytics
>Good for AI
>Extensive frameworks

Two of those are lies.
Hint: It doesn't include the last one

Wrong.
Source: me, work in game dev.
Only part where C++ is moving is on servers where there is no GUI.
We have experimentation in rust and go.
Rust is the current favorite but this might change in the future (doubt it)
Current vulkan experimentations are mostly done in C++ (atleast at a lot of studio where I know people) so I don't see C++ leaving anytime soon except if someone show us on-par if not better rust-based solutions.

C
>Good for literally everything.
There, fixed it.

I use C++ for the expensive parts of my numerical computations. Everything else i do in python, because i fucking hate dealing with C++ (and programming in general).

>In fact no one gives a shit about OOP in C++ and little people actually program in that style.
user if only that were the caseā€¦

Attached: 1532103251284324329.png (500x700, 58K)

It was a nice blog ^_^

Sorry I meant non retards and non students because they don't count as C++ programmers.

Modern C++ guidelines deemphasize OOP style dynamic polymorphism and prefer stailtic polymorphism with templates and overloading.

An OS for an embedded system defeats the whole point of having an embedded system.

mbed.com/en/platform/mbed-os/
retard

That's for brainlets who can't write their own embedded programs.
>embedded operating system designed specifically for the "things" in the Internet of Things.
Just...lol

Can you give me an article/video that substantiates your opinion? I thought the point of RTOS (which there are many of) was to be used for embedded systems.

>Dude just write everything from scratch lmao
No surprise you're a NEET.

C++
>>Good at everything that needs to be fast.

>KDE

C++
>Good for applications
>Good for scientific visualization
>Good for AI (what language is used most to write TensorFlow, user?)
>Good for trading software

Python
>???
>is a slow ugly brainlet tier piece of shit

ftfy

C++
>High-performance applications
Wow that was so fucking easy it's almost like I'm smarter than you.

this

Take it from me, don't avoid something just because other people are loud about their opposition to it.
You need to understand *your* reasons for not using something.