>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics pairing
>NO Speccy. Use HWinfo

CPU
>Athlon 200GE - Bare minimal desktop/gaming
>R3 2200G - Light gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - If you have a $2000+ budget and don't care that it'll be superseded by 7nm CPUs next year
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Wait for R7 3700X - Surely the best overall and not a massive disappointment like the 9900k
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than previous gen
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others w/ small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 w/ Freesync or 1060 6GB - standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 4Gb - lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 - for higher FPS w/ a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti - for higher FPS w/ a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL use
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>NVMe are not for gaming; See "More"

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync w/ AMD cards
>FOR GAMING, START YOUR BUILD WITH A MONITOR FIRST, then make your build to drive it appropriately

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: grand_theft_gentoo.png (3000x1688, 3.37M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/zQHxNQ
pcpartpicker.com/list/VrPVHh
pcpartpicker.com/list/MgnFHh
pcpartpicker.com/list/fBPXZR
pcpartpicker.com/list/nDggJ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/3h2cHh
pcpartpicker.com/list/KJrFGG
pcpartpicker.com/product/HTfmP6/powercolor-radeon-rx-570-41gb-red-devil-video-card-axrx-570-4gbd5-3dhoc
pcpartpicker.com/product/xH448d/msi-radeon-rx-580-8gb-armor-mk2-oc-video-card-rx-580-armor-mk2-8g-oc
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/sxDzK8/intel-core-i7-8700k-37ghz-6-core-processor-bx80684i78700k
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/cjPzK8/intel-core-i7-8700k-37ghz-6-core-processor-cm8068403358220
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: 1541547634197.png (960x504, 152K)

>amd shill out in full force already

is game streaming compared with or without quicksync and why wouldn't you use nvenc either way?

Attached: onlypajeetsandchinksbuyintel.png (4366x2638, 3.42M)

>amd shill
What? It clearly shows Intel is a better 1080p gaming option. You must be pretty insecure to have this much of a persecution complex.

>people buy it so it must be good
isn't this the exact argument you have against intel

it also compares out of date cpus

>it also compares out of date cpus
You're right. Out of both those options, one of the competitors has seen a significant IPC improvement.

as much as I want AMD to be competitive in terms of power, they just aren't right now

why don't you market to your strengths, not your weaknesses? you could easily argue that AMD is more affordable as a whole and that's where AMD shines, intel has the power and AMD has the cost efficiency.

I wonder if the guy who makes these threads is paid by AMD or is just really, really lonely

>AMD has the cost efficiency

They used to. Since Ryzen, they're both expensive and shitty.

Complete trash.

I made the thread this time since the old one hit the bump limit, but I haven't posted anything in it (aside from this).
It's a sad state of affairs in the world when people literally shape their identity by the brand of CPU they buy.

Can I get some feedback on this build pcpartpicker.com/list/zQHxNQ

weird flex, but ok

>as much as I want AMD to be competitive in terms of power, they just aren't right now
what makes you say that?
>you could easily argue that AMD is more affordable as a whole and that's where AMD shines, intel has the power and AMD has the cost efficiency.
AMD has pretty much always been better price/performance (performance per dollar), but nowadays with ryzen 2 and the soon-to-be-released 3 series, they are on par if not better than Intel's equivalent offerings in every single category except gaming - and even there, it's very, very close, to the point of intel only being maybe worth a buy at 1080p/144hz - anything else AMD is equivalent.

its my first time building a computer I just want to know if it is okay or if I should change anything

You should be able to get an 580 8gb for about the same price
>2400mhz ram
>1x8gb
You know the importance of high bandwidth ram in ryzen right? Also 8gb is minimum now

I'm talking specifically about 144hz gaming, where you need all the single core / 2-4 core power you can get. AMD isn't competitive in this area, and the only real 144hz choice is intel. Even when you compare the 2700x to the 8700k AMD fails to compete in video games. The threadripper is a fucking joke for video games.

Yes, AMD is cheaper. Yes, that is valuable for some people. However, for people really looking to max out their 144hz performance, intel/nvidia is the ONLY reasonable option.

Changes I made:
>2600 comes with a decent cooler, no need to buy one
>3200 MHz RAM, should get 2 sticks for best performance. Get two 8GB sticks if you want 16 GB
>RX 580 8GB is much better and roughly the same price

Oh yeah and I increased the RAM to 16GB since it's only like $20 more and will last you a lot longer.

I'm also retarded and forgot the link
pcpartpicker.com/list/VrPVHh

Your good to go now.
Just one more thing. You'll be surprised how fast 1tb fills up. Maybe try for a 3tb. They're not to price for the value.
Or maybe you can get a 4tb external in the future

I'm not him, but I've basically moved all my media to my home NAS.
500GB SSD in the actual computer for muh games and boot.

anyone know 2700x performance with 3200/14 in heavily unoptimized games like blizz’s starcraft or heroes?
>need threads so 9700k is out
>9900k isn’t getting in stock anytime soon
>8700k is a year back, and I’d rather get 8 over 6
Gonna be 1080p with a 1080ti, although I don’t think there would be any performance difference at 1440p, so I might upgrade that too.

Check YouTube benchmarks.
I really don't expect a significant difference between the lot

I hope AMD pays you because this is actually sad.

Off to with your "mah brand is better than your brand" FUDery

Alright boys, just got a $3k check from work for being a good boi. Do I make the dream small form factor build I have always wanted or do I just beef up my current rig? Will be getting a 5k Christmas bonus as well if you think 3k wouldn't be enough.

Posting your current rig so we can make a more informed decision would be an excellent start.

Sure.

Attached: Specc.png (660x513, 35K)

And what screen resolution are you aiming for? You need to tell us more about your desired outcome and use case.
You could always find a secondhand 5930k and go with moar coars if you want to keep your current HEDT platform, or sell your stuff off (X99 still go ands reasonable second hand prices) and put it into either an mITX X470/B450 Ryzen or Z370 Coffeelake platform. What sort of clockspeed/voltage have you managed out of the 5820k?

Attached: 1413913323099.png (1000x1000, 162K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/MgnFHh

put this build together abut a month ago. the total price is about what i paid for plus 20 bucks for the cooler. how badly did i do?

4.3, don't remember the voltage I have it set at and haven't pushed it further since temps went over 60 after that.
Pretty sure I would be doing a lot of part replacements if I work on my old rig. Probably would get a newer Intel chip and delid it, or pick up the 2700x. Would defenitly need better ram if I go with the 2700x. I have a Corsair h100i which if I remember correctly works with newer amd chips? Haven't looked into that actually. If I'm improving my gaming rig then I probably would start aiming at 1440p, maybe 120hz? I feel like the 1080 could pull that with slightly lower settings in games but mine definitely doesn't have the best cooling.

For the form factor I'm thinking about delidding an 8700k, maybe that's a waste for a tiny PC. Thought about trying a 1060,70,80 in it and thusly using a case that supports full sized cards. Not sure what I would aim for, 1080p 60 or maybe 1080 120? I've meant for it to be a little beast of a PC that's easy to move with me.

>16GB will last you a lot longer
Excuse me?

I'm a poorfag who recently started working and finally have enough for a hopefully decent pc. Don't plan on spending more than 2k CAD but can if necessary.
Should I go for the viewsonic xg2402? It's about the max I want to spend on a decent fps gaming monitor. Based off of what I've read, it's the best 1080p 144 hz freesync monitor for the price
What sort of specs would be the best performance for money for a pc that can play shit like csgo/tf2 on 150+fps but also be able to handle high end graphic-intensive games at over 60 fps?
Also, is freesync worth it? Not spending over $100 for g-sync

8 GB is kind of the minimum memory to have today.
16 GB will allow you to go much longer without upgrading.

I'm looking to get 2 monitors, one 4K. Here's what I'm after
-4K resolution (obviously)
-extremely high color accuracy and coverage
-HDR
-below 32' the smaller the better (I know going too small will cause some loss of details in resolutions but anything around 27 would be ideal)
-at least 60hz

I have a GTX1080 Ti and I will be using this monitor for mostly work such as video editing, drawing, etc. If there's an OLED or similar monitor with these specs that'll be a bonus. For now let's assume there's no limit to budget as I'll try to grab it on Black Friday.

Let's presume you do go with an ITX and it is just for gaming, the thermal advantage of a 2600X over the 2700X will probably be of more advantage than having more cores, unless you're also doing productivity work. If you do go the i7 route, it might be worth just going for the marginally lower clocked 8700, again for thermals, but I guess you could also get the unlocked 8700k and play with the multiplier until you're happy with temps. I'd personally just go a Ryzen at 1440p to be honest.
Definitely buy the screen you want and just try out your existing 1080 (if you already have it, may as well try!), and if it doesn't do what you need it to, you can always upgrade to a 1080ti/2080 and sell your 1080.
First thing with an ITX system is selecting your case though, as there's a lot of different packaging and thermal differences when looking at SFF.
It's fine.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/VrPVHh
looks good thanks a lot for the help man

Looking to buy parts for a gaming pc, budget of ~$600USD

I'll only need a:
intel cpu (preferably unlocked for OCing)
cpu cooler (water cooled, doesn't need to be too fancy)
16gb ram
& compatible motherboard

It will be paired with a 980ti (gifting) and 144hz monitor, and all other parts are accounted for already.

I've been out of the components markets for years now, what would be a good build within this budget?

>intel cpu (preferably unlocked for OCing)

Attached: finger-vomiting-spewing-puppet-green-1275579860t.jpg (400x300, 10K)

Just get an 8400/H310 or B360/2666mhz memory. If has to be Intel at that budget you stand more to gain from the 6 core 8400 other than the 4 core 8350k. Otherwise just get a 2600/B450/3000mhz Ryzen setup.

If you insist on Intel and liquid cooling, this is about the best you're gonna do for $600:
pcpartpicker.com/list/fBPXZR

If you jump to AMD's 2700x and use the stock air cooler (actually good), you get more threads while keeping a similar single thread performance to the i5-8600k
pcpartpicker.com/list/nDggJ8

If you want best of best intel i7-8700k, you're gonna have to squeeze on the other components and stretch your price a bit:
pcpartpicker.com/list/3h2cHh

whoops I fucced up on the AMD RAM, this one has the right memory:

pcpartpicker.com/list/KJrFGG

ty for the input

>ty for the input
Budgeting on a PC that'll last you 5+ years is silly. Just saying

I understand. If it were a build for myself I wouldn't really have any restraints, but others have their price point and I'd like to honor it.

Is that a serious question?
Because lower quality. Fucking duh.

Like how the hell are you aware of quicksync and nvenc, but not aware that they are vastly inferior quality to software encoding? That's so dubious.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/MgnFHh
>put this build together abut a month ago. the total price is about what i paid for plus 20 bucks for the cooler. how badly did i do?
Could have gotten a 1440p 144hz IPS monitor included for about $100 cheaper instead of just a 1080p tn. Pretty bad, really. Even a month ago, that wasn't very good, either.

I'd get a different card. The cooler on the Armor is so bad. Unless you're going to really undervolt, I guess, but you'll lose some perf.
You could save 25% getting an RX570 and just lose at most like 15% performance.
pcpartpicker.com/product/HTfmP6/powercolor-radeon-rx-570-41gb-red-devil-video-card-axrx-570-4gbd5-3dhoc

If you want an RX580, spend $15 more to get one which has a better cooler.
pcpartpicker.com/product/xH448d/msi-radeon-rx-580-8gb-armor-mk2-oc-video-card-rx-580-armor-mk2-8g-oc
But the 570 is easily far better value if you can turn settings down a little when needed.

>I understand. If it were a build for myself I wouldn't really have any restraints, but others have their price point and I'd like to honor it.
You should explain that to then atleast. So they understand forking out alil more is much more worth it for longevity

Thanks for letting me know, I'll probably go with the RX570 since I will mainly just be playing league of legends

Both are completely transparent.

You should try to explain some sense to them.

Simple overclocking scales very poorly now days.
A 10% OC maybe gives a 2-3% performance increase for Intel because games aren't bottlenecked by the operations per second. They're bottlenecked by waiting on memory and other things.
All those extra mhz are mostly idle, just waiting on RAM. You hit diminishing returns, at nominal IPC, much past 4GHz.
You're just wasting electricity, and you actually get better bang for you buck pairing an 8700 non-k with b-die than spending that money on a k CPU and exotic cooling and deliding it.

Ryzen gains about 1:1 gains a BCLK OC only because it also speeds up the IMC, lowering memory latency as well as increasing clock speeds.

Yeah then. I missed if you mentioned that. Should get around 144 fine with an RX570 in that game. Definitely just save the money.

Attached: 101 bclk oc.png (539x518, 91K)

KYS winshill
gaymerfag

Would the 4gb vs 8gb with the 570 & 580 make a big difference?

>Would the 4gb vs 8gb ... make a big difference
In LoL? Absolutely not.
There will be some newer games where you'll need to drop textures or something to high, sure. Games have started to use over 3Gb the past few years. Some games use as much as 8gb-15gb maxed out. But 4Gb is generally enough, and enough to look good, especially if you're willing to turn settings down from maxed in some cases.

In newer games you'll see bigger and bigger textures being loaded. At 1080p it shouldn't make any difference, but considering the price difference isn't that much I'd get the 8GB model. But if you have to keep it under budget, it's a corner you can cut without second thoughts.

>Simple overclocking scales very poorly now days.
A 10% OC maybe gives a 2-3% performance increase for Intel because games aren't bottlenecked by the operations per second. They're bottlenecked by waiting on memory and other things.
And yet there's actually people out there right now who are willing to pay a $70 premium for an 8086k over an 8700k. Some folks can't be taught

$55 isn't an insignificant difference.
$70 difference if you're comparing to an RX580 which actually has a decent cooler.

For lighter games like LoL, I'd save the money.

It's the exact same way you have people coming in here asking why they shouldn't get Bulldozer when "It's also 8 cores and almost 5GHz!"
They don't contemplate that anything more than GHz and core count can matter.

>$55 isn't an insignificant difference.
>$70 difference if you're comparing to an RX580 which actually has a decent cooler
Oh wait, in the US. Sorry, my mind has gotten used to all the EU deals I keep seeing. It looks like some sellers are just trying to get rid of them, 4GB and 8GB alike. I can't even factually remember what it's supposed to cost. Nevermind me then.

Buying Intel in 2018 is like buying Bulldozer in 2012.

MSRP was $170 for RX570 and I think.. $220 for RX580?
There have been 130-170 euro RX570s in Europe as well the past week or so.

I just looked and you replied, so clockwork. Speaking for France, right now there's a 570 4GB in both Sapphire Nitro+ (160€) and Pulse (150€) plus three games... the same three games everyone seems to bundle with those cards (Strange Brigade, Star Control Origins, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey); which if you have no interest in AC: Odyssey roughly makes the card 45€ cheaper. Two weeks ago (Oct. 25th) Amazon.fr sold, with no games, the Sapphire Pulse 580 4GB for 162€ and the Nitro Plus 8GB model for 201€. For all intents and purposes, 1€=$1.

>tfw I got a 10% discount code from newegg in my email
>when I tried to use it the page said the code isn't valid for my country
fuck you too, newegg

Huh they are still running that games bundle in Europe? Looks like it ended in the US, unless I'm missing something.

Odyssey is a new game and is pretty easy to sell for around $45. So yeah that's cheaper than the US is, currently, if you want the games or go through the hoops of selling them.

whats the difference between de.pcpartpicker.com/product/sxDzK8/intel-core-i7-8700k-37ghz-6-core-processor-bx80684i78700k and de.pcpartpicker.com/product/cjPzK8/intel-core-i7-8700k-37ghz-6-core-processor-cm8068403358220 ?

First one is a retail box
Second one is a Tray model, which means it comes very lightly packed with just some plastic around it. Most of them are meant for system builders so that they dont have to deal with gorillion retail boxes.

just checking back in after 4 years, have we made any progress in the way of building laptops?

>have we made any progress in the way of building laptops?
Yes.
2400GE, a bare panel, + 3d printed case.

any companies selling the facilitation of the case? because if what you meant was an easier way to say "produce the model used by the 3d printer yourself", then you could have just made it even easier and said "no".

Even more soldered parts so that they are even thinner, lighter and less repairable.

>intel
cringe and newfagpilled

>$600
>Intel
>OC
Nice meme.

amd is shit

Attached: relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png (500x1450, 95K)

There's a pretty big promo for everything Kingston in my country. Are their SSDs and DDR4 RAM worth anything?

>bro just pay 3x more for 8.6% more performance at poverty res

Attached: LOL.png (500x1450, 99K)

>8400 costs half the 2700x and still better
LOL

>8400 costs half the 2700x
in your dreams
only recently did it go down to reasonable prices again and now it has price parity with the 2600x while being way worse for anything that's not playing games

>2600X costs same as 8400 but obliterates it
LOL

Is there any real reason to have a dedicated sound card?

other than advanced connection options and maybe native ASIO support not really. if you want retro gaming with EAX creative sells software that does it now. and realtek has a thing you can download too.

Yeah
Internal one for 3d sound in games. Check out 3d sound examples on yt.
External usb DAC with amp if you have good heaphones and want better sound for music and movies and games.

>obliterates it
>graph shows it 4% behind
Nice try pajeet
Now add the mobo and ram prices you need for poozen lol
>games don't matter

>Have web browser running
>8400 loses 10% fps and makes the game stutter
No thanks. Too much of a pain to close and reopen browser just to game. Some games I use web apps while playing for drafting, trade alerts, etc, too.

A DAC, yes. If you are a professional.

>External usb
>for games

if you want a headphone amp get a xonar, the latency of usb is unreal

Ssd's are alright
Depends what ram you want. You understand cas or cl? Their rams are alright
Show us what your looking to get?

What's the best value ?
gtx 1050 ti + 8GB ram ddr3 (180$)
gtx 960 2gb (90$)
gtx 970 4gb (125$)
gtx 1060 3gb by Zotac (160$)

>Ranjit already bargaining about percentages
You will soon accept it.

3000mhz is the baseline for ram these days and amd motherboards are cheaper than intel

970, it's faster than 1050, and you kinda need 4gb vram these days

I don't have any idea about memory desu, I want something for gayming and occassionally software dev

Show proof of it actually happening than just spouting lies and memes
>i just have to call him ranjit to win the argument
Nice try
>2666 doesnt cost less than 3000
>b360 doesnt cost less than x470
Jesus you are so retarded it hurts

>Denial
Lmao. You are clinical, rasheesh.
Arguments is benchmarks that have been posted here a million times that show 2600X is the way to go.

>gtx 1060 3gb by Zotac (160$)
Still pumping my 1060 3gb with no complaints.
But I do recognize that its end is near
>for honor maxed uses 2600mb
And its not even an intense game
Personally I think you should rather try get 580 8gb or just wait

>pick the cheapest intel
>pick the most expensive amd
real epic ranjit

Attached: 6 bucks.png (1972x269, 117K)

But I'm looking at UV500 and 8Gb 2666 CL19/2133 CL15/2400 CL17.
On the other hand Amazon has MX500 for almost the same price

Intel or ryzen CPU?
Anyways I think Kingston is fine from what I've seen
Try get a 3000/3200mhz cl15 16gb ram.
I think cl15 or cl16 is their lowest

Thanks guys

wtf intelbros how can this be happening?

Attached: mdwtfi.png (1466x229, 195K)

>Arguments is benchmarks that have been posted here a million times that show 2600X is the way to go.
There is no such benchmark
>picking the most expensive 2666 model
No one will fall for your bullshit

>Intel or ryzen CPU?
Whichever will be better for 1440p 144hz, I didnt upgrade cpu yet
>3000/3200mhz cl15 16gb ram.
There aren't any like that, only those