Windows and MacOS vs. GNU/Linux

Hello Jow Forums

I'm using both MacOS and Windows to do whatever I need to do under the sun. Both operating systems cover eachother well enough so that I'm not SOL when there's something I cant do on the other. Mostly development tools and Unix utilities are what separate the two for me. I'm not doing any crazy shit where a OS is critical to my work, I just program and get stuff done.

My question for you Jow Forums, from a productivity standpoint, what utilities can Linux offer to users that MacOS and Windows 10 can't, or what can Linux do better than both Operating systems? Is there a good reason to have Linux as a tool for production focused users?

Attached: Tux_Mono.svg.png (636x768, 55K)

>what utilities can Linux offer to users that MacOS and Windows 10 can't

nothing.

Yo. Depends on the task. I do not use mac (but almost everybody around me using mac), it would be a nightmare for me. Im using mainly linux, and a (virtualized) windows. Linux is the best choice for me, at least when im wofking, im an it guy btw. If i have to create proper documents (reports mainly), presentations, office is essential. Linux has openoffice and other stuff but it cant beat ms office/tools. Yeah, i would say its all about the tools. What is your interest, what are you doing with the machine?

I got tired of smelly bathrooms from pooping so I bought a deep freezer and poop in that so it freezes. It seems to help with smell. It's been about 6 months now and it's almost full though. How do I clean it out?

I use both Mac OS and GNU/Linux, and I don't think there is much difference between the two. GNU/Linux is just simpler to set up and run on a regular basis. I think everyone can agree that there is no point using Windows if you want to be as productive as possible.

Can not agree, its highly task dependent.

To me MacOS is just a better version of what Linux offers. Unless you are an activist who needs "free software" the reason to use Linux is the price. $0 vs price of a whole new computer. I'd be interested in hearing what you prefer about Linux from a user standpoint.

I like having all of my software from a central repository. GNU/Linux has up to date software by default, as no distros refuse to come with GPLv3 software. I like to be able to easily upgrade or change my hardware when necessary. GNU/Linux, to me, is simply easier to set up and far more versatile.

sorry for hijacking your thread, but im in similar position.
I have a macOS at the office but i can replace it if i wish. My workflow is all about frontend dev so I use VScodium, git, chromium+firefox, slack, skype, thunderbird and samba + vpn.
What distro should i go for as a main driver that isnt very bloated?

Debian. Less bloated than its more popular derivatives, and very stable.

Install Gentoo.

Attached: 1538519209061.jpg (1242x2208, 115K)

If i want to write windows programs my choice is visual studio on win. If im a music producer/ dj: ableton suite on mac. For android programming i prefer linux. Have to write reports? Create presentations? Draw pro diagrams, wokflows? Office on win. Have to handle network traffic, forge and modify packets? Quickly create a router, webserver, vpn? Linux. Cut professional videos? Final cut pro on mac. Do not have to be professional, yo need only basic videocut features? Openshot on any platform. I do not have a shitload of money? Mac is out of the game. I can continue the list, but thats my point. Choose your tool for the task. Using a screwdriver against a nail is not the best choice, nor using a hammer for cutting tiles.

lol @ pic
is it for real

This is why linux based operating systems are best suited for servers and developers. For general desktop use browsing the internet and playing video games, I wouldn't advise one to switch. But if you want full control over your file system and the ability to set up custom environments for all of your programming languages, or hosting a server for various purposes, going linux based offers you the most versatility.

agree

I use Linux just because it does less. There's just so much on OS X.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using GNU/Linux for "general desktop use", whatever that actually means. Web browsing should be part of that, really, and I don't know enough about video games to comment on the state of them in relation to GNU/Linux.

The whole consumer market is based around Windows and MacOS. Why would you switch to GNU/Linux if you aren't a developer or plan on managing a server?

I know it isn't because of "freedom" because you're likely still running proprietary hardware plus you're posting on a website that uses proprietary image board software.

There's no reason to install a linux based operating system if all you do is post on here and watch hentai.

Well you have to use an operating system, and if you don't have a Mac you don't have much of a choice. The only viable option at that point is GNU/Linux.
>The whole consumer market is based around Windows and MacOS
All the software you need for general use is available with GNU/Linux.

And you choose GNU/Linux because you don't want to pay for Windows I'm assuming? You know it's free right?

I don't like using Windows. I personally find it to be an unusable mess.

Fair enough. I only have Windows on my desktop for Steam, which I hardly even use anymore because I travel.

GL with that... Cause Windows and Java is everywhere today.
>Linux for sure
As a side note;
- Facebook doesn't work in this nation for various reasons, and yet it's here anyway (Servers).

I know, and I've felt the same since the launch of Windows 10, hence why I don't have it.

Attached: 219.gif (300x100, 11K)

The main benefit of using linux is that everything will natively "just work" for programming.

This isn't a huge issue on windows, because you can run servers in WSL. But it IS an issue if you plan to use things like language servers, or the terminal inside windows. It becomes a massive pain in the dick and you end up having to have everything installed twice, so you can have intellisense for example.

You also get slower performance running things through WSL.

But (if) you buy a mac then you do avoid these problems, so there's that I guess, for macfags