Decline of Smartphone Value

After what generation did the good ol days of pure utility based innovation, disappear and smartphone really start to become bloatware with silly features to appeal to a young an impulsive audience?

Attached: akrales_180814_2817_0380.0.jpg (1200x800, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/BLU-Vivo-Factory-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B07JFLT1GT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

when people born after 1995 came of phone age, so around 2013

>start?

what's a good 2013 or before smartphone I can buy that is decently future proof for basic use?

>implying smartphones have ever not been bloated devices filled with silly features
OP confirmed one of those idiots that spends more then $50 when buying a phone.

Attached: 1300044776986.jpg (600x600, 34K)

Almost none.

You need a phone that does voice over LTE.

Voice over LTE started to be used only about late 2012.

LG Connect 4G is one example.

the only benefit i've ever gotten from a smartphone is not needing a separate car gps in the 2000s, and that's just a small convenience, smartphones are trash

It all makes sense now. Peak smartphone was 2013—2014, now all flagships are notched glass sandwich no headphone jack pieces of shit.

Nowadays smartphones are like cars, there's no innovation except the size and shape

Had an HTC One (M7), back when they owned 25% of beats audio.

It was the best phone I ever had.
Amazing audio quality, 2 speakers, metal back, flat screen, a very good flagship in it's time.

Switched to S6 edge+ then S8+, both are trash.
I even feel the S8+ to be trashier than the S6E+ since I felt no significant improvement in terms of disk space or performance.

Samsung is shit, don't buy it. Too bad HTC went down the glass-back route/no jack plug route too.

Honestly I'm at the stage I'm willing to go back to a feature phone as long as it has good gps and Google maps. Perhaps the only thing stopping me from ditching my smart phone for a Nokia 3310.

>tfw I used to think 4'0 was too big for a phone
When smartphone started to cather to roasties and kiddies so has their handbags and schoolbags to keep their phones in.

what innovation would compel you to replace whatever phone you already have?

we're already at a place where you can play games (mobile games are 95% trash but at least you can emulate games well), take pictures, listen to music and watch videos and so forth with your phone.

the only things left to work on are embiggening battery capacity and making smartwatches project hard-light holographic interfaces with tactile feedback

Attached: image16.png (347x301, 136K)

Is pic related gud tho ? I've been thinking about getting one. I'd use it mostly for spreadsheets on the go and playing emulators. Am I going to regret getting it ?

That was the last year Samsung phones had removable batteries, which caused the chain effect throughout the industry

Exactly like a car, its when the phone breaks, and it costs more to fix than the phone is worth.

Also when you stop getting software updates, and major applications stop supporting your OS version.

But Android OEMs hate supporting their products with software and OS updates

exactly but most developers will support older versions of android for longer. Ios will give better OS updates, but developers rarely support pass 2 or 3 versions behind.

>disk space
>no performance improvement
confirmed for being braindead

this, I got the Galaxy Note 3 as my first expensive smartphone and it also was instantly, the last.

had note for 3 years, but i finally upgraded to a note 8.

sounds dumb and a waste of money, Im not gonna get another Samsung

>no significant improvement != no improvement
Confirmed shill.

>y-you must be a shill
you just have crippling autism

cool faggot not your blog
where do i unsubscribe?

>not even directly quoting him
>calling him braindead
wew
you have crippling brainletism
be sure to get your $1400 iPhone next year user

why are phone threads ALWAYS garbage? even when the topic is about making fun of them

But that tradeoff resulted in waterproof phones which was a major concern back then.

Many things are useless nowadays but sdaying that smartphones have no use at all is also stupid.
Google maps alone is great.
The convenience of buying a train ticket while walking to the station, instead of waiting in line.
Online check in for flights with smartphone boarding pass.
Browsing the internet for several things like news.
I don't know when it stopped exactly, but I definitely don't need more than a Galaxy S5.

I'd say 2016
Never used discrete ports on phones except usb and 3.5
Now all this notch cancer is gonna age like shit when they finally put a camera behind the screen or some other way to do cringe selfies
Phones are getting faster and more power efficient finally I wunna see some 5nm stuff

this. step one, go to target(electronics are really cheap there idkw) and buy a super cheap phone attached to a provider(att,etc)
step two. have it turned on with a cheap af plan
profit

cant you just update to a newer OS?

I mean can I go full sci fi? Then something like thought control, or just very good VR would be a good reason.
Also a good open source phone.

>The convenience of buying a train ticket while walking to the station

>The stupidy of letting Google, my bank, Credit reference agencies, countless government departments, and anyone who wants to buy my data can find out my travelling arrangements

>Also a good open source phone.
$$$$$$ fuck that. how do i just wipe a cheap phone and install an linux OS?

s5 was ip67 and removable battery. removable battery and expandable storage helps with planned obsolescence. they can easily make waterproof phones with removable batteries.

maybe try not to be a fucking autistic faggot. Buy a normal 2k18 phone and use that for the next few years. Why spend money on something that is 5 years old and doesn't have LTE, up-to-date OS or other crap.

who cares you stupid mongrel, you don't waste your time waiting in the crowd to buy a fucking ticket
but hey how would you know that? there are no train stations at your room where you spend half of your life staring at anime wallpapers and masturbating to your linoox distros

I buy an annual pass, because I'm not a poorfag.

gg fgt

Attached: 061.jpg (500x500, 33K)

The current one.
The first phone I was completely satisfied with was xiaomi mi mix 2 (2017).
The main use of smartphone is to browse the net and that requires lots of ram no matter what the rest is doing.
6GB is a minimum. My previous phone had 3GB and it wasn't enough - tabs were being closed in the background.
Fast cpu is good too.

It's the first time I can genuinely see not upgrading for several years, until foldable phones or something similar arrives. Before 2017 even high-end phones were shit on release - they were only good in comparison to other phones, not in itself.

My s5 is plenty water resistant. 1 point less than the s9 infact.

nice flaps you have. shame if anything were to happen to them.

The answer will always be a few years ago, in the good old days.

The new phones aren't necessarily worse, I just don't like paying for stuff I hardly use.

>requires a lot of ram
yeah maybe if you like to keep 100 tabs open

>100 tabs
not even close, right now I have 30 tabs open on desktop and firefox takes 3.6GB alone.
There's nothing special about smartphones that would allow browsers there to use less memory. Every ram saving means less cache = more computations = more battery use.

That's inevitable when you buy a device where most of the functionality comes from the software.

2015-2016

Not him but buying a note 8, after using a 3 for 5 years doesn't equate to wasting over a grand every year on the latest crapple. Quit being an antisocial poor fag and you'd understand.

2013 was about when everything became just another featureless black iClone slab with no reason to exist other than a price point.

>quotes 3 posts
>all me
always makes me smile

This is pretty much all you need.

amazon.com/BLU-Vivo-Factory-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B07JFLT1GT

Doubt anything would happen sooner than a non-removable battery would degrade enough to make a phone very annoying to use. He'll I don't know if normies even get a year of decent battey life anymore. What a joke. Batteries cost a few bucks and breath new life into a phone. Not having that option is insane unless you upgrade every release. I guess that is what they intend.