OpenBSD

What does Jow Forums think about OpenBSD? For me everything works great except for favorite browsers Chrome and Firefox being sluggish, though others work completely fine.

Attached: images.png (242x208, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsdfoundation.org/activities.html
openbsd.org/innovations.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2014.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2015.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2016.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2017.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2018.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computing_mascots
web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not a CoC'd kernel, based devs but a meme when it comes to daily use and work.

BSD has c.o.c. Sorry, kid.

bump

a non cucked one

The problem with OpenBSD is that they favor security over features, and security is almost never important.

this. I hate it when dumbasses think they know what they're talking about

>sluggish
have to add, this only happens if I run said browsers in full-screen
anyone knows why?

openbsd just runs like shit if you do anything intensive even if your hardware is powerful and supported. they make it clear that they care about security more than anything else. I'm extremely confused when I see threads about openbsd being the best BSD for the desktop when it's the complete opposite

>security is almost never important
You lost me here

The devs eat their own dogfood and in the process make it a better OS for desktop usage. While it may not be efficient compared to other BSDs it's very easy to get a comfy desktop setup and very nice having a desktop setup due to the devs' use of it. Basically if you don't need to squeeze every last bit of performance out of your hardware and the software you use is supported then OpenBSD is a great desktop OS choice.

cuck license

This, most software for Linux can be compiled and run on openbsd. If you depend on wine, systemd, and software that uses Linux only syscalls those won't work.

dumb meme

(1/3)
OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
SSD TRIM is vital to supporting SSDs, as without it, they degrade quickly due to unnecessary reads and writes. Sadly, OpenBSD has decided not to support this.
OpenBSD also does not offer a modern filesystem option. You simply get the very old BSD "Fast File System" or FFS.
Why is this important? Because when most people think of a secure system, they think of being resistant to evil hackers breaking into it. But that's only one part of security. InfoSec can be generally split up into three components: Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability.
In this triad, availability seems to be the one that's lacking here. Who cares how hack-resistant your system is if the data you're protecting is corrupted?
That's not even getting into the volume management stuff that's missing, and the snapshots, and the everything.
"b-b-but MUH BACKUPS!!"
What are you even saying? That bitrot all of a sudden doesn't exist anymore? That backups are the one and only thing you should do and should not be supplemented by a more stable filesystem?
You do realize that if the filesystem is not secure and does not protect against bitrot and corruption, your precious backups are going to be fucked, because you'll be backing up corrupted data. Who even knows how far you'll have to roll back in order to get to a clean state?
"ZFS is one big thing! Very not-Unix! Just combine tools, bro"
OpenBSD doesn't have logical volume management either. Even if it did, FFS doesn't have the checksumming, bitrot protection, etc. Even if it did, OpenBSD softraid doesn't support as many RAID levels as other operating systems' solutions. It's just a worse deal all around.

Attached: puf800X689.gif (800x689, 69K)

(2/3)
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really.
OpenBSD also does not have NFSv4 support even 18 years after its standardization. This is an issue security-wise because version 4 is the only one to offer authentication with Kerberos plus encryption with the krb5p option.
A common retort to this argument is that the NFSv4 protocol is "bloated", and that's why OpenBSD doesn't support it. Going off this, the OpenBSD project seems to think that authentication and encryption are bloat. Take a moment to consider that. It's certainly a very strange stance indeed, for such a "security-focused" operating system.
Let's of course not forget that OpenBSD lacks a Mandatory Access Control solution such as SELinux, AppArmor, or TrustedBSD, which provide benefits that are relevant to companies, organizations, and governments looking to better secure their systems and classified data.

Attached: no-sign-hi.png (600x600, 20K)

it's a shitty tinfoil-hat-lite freebsd for neets

stale pasta
kys

(3/3)
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
"but it's open source! Someone could just fork it"
Oh yeah because surely they'll be able to maintain the entire OS
Actually now that I think about it, that really depends on the person/organization that does it. And they might actually have some sense and be able to fix some of the issues listed here.
It's official. OpenBSD would be better off if it shut down and was restarted.
>C Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU C extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?
>Miscellaneous
OpenBSD's pf has inferior performance, as it only utilizes one core of one processor. GNU/Linux's netfilter firewall does not have this problem. Neither does pfsense.
OpenBSD does not support any 802.11 Wi-Fi standard newer than 'n'. It also lacks Bluetooth.
WINE doesn't exist on OpenBSD.

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

>muh storage filesystem
Use raid or softraid. HDDs have some protection built-in to combat bitrot.
>2 holes is nothing to brag about
There is a lot of shit in the default install. As an example, how many systems include a capable web server out of the box? There is a lot of surface area actually. Don't pretend otherwise.
>Openbsd doesn't have NFSv4
There may be very good reasons they won't even consider support. Also, a lack of a security protocol is not inherently a security issue. You look at the system as it is without the protocol as if the protocol doesn't exist and ask if the system is secure to assess that question without bias. Encryption is not some magic fairy dust that just makes things secure. Sometimes adding a new protocol that sounds to secure creates more security problems than it solves due to increased attack vectors and surface area.
This is directly from Theo
>NFSv4 is not on our roadmap. It is a ridiculous bloated protocolwhich they keep adding crap to. In about a decade the people whoactually start auditing it are going to see all the mistakes that ithides.
>SELinux, AppArmor
Look at jails, pledge, unveil, and priv sep
OpenSSH is very secure but doesn't use those bloated methods.
>A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down
Far from true now. Donations are on the rise. Corporate sponsorships as well. Don't take my word for it. Look yourself:
openbsdfoundation.org/activities.html
Funny thing is that freebsd is getting fewer donations now than openbsd.
>Rant about c standards compliance being bad
That's just personal taste. What actually matters is how high quality the openbsd codebase is and that they continually audit every piece of their source tree (everything in default install).
>It also lacks Bluetooth.
They took it out for security reasons.
>openbsd innovations openbsd.org/innovations.html

BTW I have you to thank why I use openbsd now. Thanks.

Attached: Harry.gif (227x343, 23K)

>security is almost never important.

Attached: 1529256197098.jpg (550x547, 46K)

>> 68401764
>> 68401777
>> 68401858
Meme as dumb as ever.

- SSDs handle wear leveling in firmware now.
- OpenBSD's base system is nicely full featured. You can do a lot without installing anything external. The only package on my router is Tor and the only one on my webserver is CGit.
- Along with the base system OpenBSD has security features like ASLR, strict malloc, retguard, stack canaries, and more, that benefit ALL packages. I'd rather run packaged software on OpenBSD than Linux.
- You make a big deal about NFSv4 but you don't actually use it, because it sucks.
- Every RHEL machine I've ever seen in industry has SELinux turned off. Your fancy MAC won't do you any good if it's too complicated for even sysadmins to use.
- The call for donations worked. These days OpenBSD has no trouble keeping the lights on:
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2014.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2015.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2016.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2017.html
openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2018.html
- OpenBSD isn't strict ISO C, they happily and logically extend the standard where it makes sense. Meanwhile GNU land gives you shitty extensions like strfry() and not anything useful. 2018, and you still can't call arc4random(), arc4random_buf(), or arc4random_uniform() with glibc! What a fucking joke.

Only decent point is lack of a good filesystem, but FFS with software RAID will be enough to prevent bitrot. Nothing wrong with running DragonFly/HAMMER2 on your backup server if you feel strongly about it.

Why haven't you killed yourself yet? Your life is meaningless, you are posting the same pasta in every thread like a desperate kid, looking for attention. Just end your pathetic and miserable life already, nobody wants to read your boring pasta over and over again.

>works great
>except chrome and firefox
get the fuckk off shit license faggot

Attached: gnusnap.jpg (675x506, 103K)

Firefox and chrome run in openbsd.

I couldn't think of a gayer logo if I tried.
Why don't they just make another? Why does it get posted all the time? Don't you see it as annoying as I do?

>Why don't they just make another?
I'd assume they like it, I mean they chose to use it in the first place.
>Why does it get posted all the time?
When discussing a project with a logo it's rather common to post the project's logo
> Don't you see it as annoying as I do?
no

Attached: 1540770249235.png (500x762, 486K)

other os and kernel mascots:
>penguin who slides down mountains GOTTA GO FAST
>gay demon who fists his asshole with his pitchfork
>guy with a hat
>a flag
>bunny with a spacesuit on
>platypus with helmet and pitchfork

openbsd:
>pufferfish who SUCCs and steals your bike + inflates when under pressure and produces poison
in terms of LETHAL poison it's darwin and openbsd and nothin else.

How's bsd's linux compatibility nowadays?

because the cool logo already is in use

Attached: freebsd_podcast.jpg (564x451, 18K)

Just ignore that he/she/zhe/whatever freebsd jealous tranny.

if you mean binary compatibility you'd better go elsewhere, tooling-wise your stuff'll be there.

>I couldn't think of a gayer logo if I tried.
I have a candidate.
Pic related is the alternate logo for the 2018 World Chess Championship, with Game 1 being played this Friday (November 9) between Carlsen and Caruana. Just thought I'd share.

Attached: WCCh_2018_logo.png (475x305, 61K)

Show me where this cool logo still used.

They raped it to make it "corporate-friendly". New logo is nowhere as cool as the old one.

FreeBSD used to be awesome, now it is only bunch of SJW whores.

Beastie's a generic BSD mascot and is as much the logo of FreeBSD as he is OpenBSD. FreeBSD's logo is the orb.

>Show me where this cool logo still used.
duh, on the main page?
>They raped it to make it "corporate-friendly".
This is not true, it has little to do with corporations, if you were on bsd forums which I assume isn't the case, you'd know the main problem was Daemon's awkward complex contours and colouring that can't be easily converted into a simplified vector logotype, because it was an old sketch made by hand. Everyone in linux and other major free os communities was doing similar things around that time.
>FreeBSD used to be awesome, now it is only bunch of SJW whores.
Now this is some delusional political trash.

Yeah, but before the orb (which is Daemon's stylized head) it was Daemon, officially. He also was the official logo of OpenBSD and NetBSD, before they came up with their current individual logos. Only FreeBSD stayed true to its visual roots and adopted the Daemon head as their logo

>the main problem was Daemon's awkward complex contours and colouring that can't be easily converted into a simplified vector logotype
That is BS and you know it. Explain Linux Tux or Puffy or any other in here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computing_mascots

>>political trash
What was political in original post? Trump?

Your reply sounds exactly what SJW would use as "argument" from SJW's handbook.

Also stop spamming these OpenBSD threads with your (x/3) pastas.

> chrome
Daily remainder that on openbsd 6.4 you can execute chrome with --enable-unveil and it won't be able to see any directory except ~/Downloads/ and ~/Uploads

What? are you a massive retard? Fuck off

Attached: theo_de_based.jpg (200x198, 3K)

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computing_mascots
>what is logotypes
double retard

Oh man, thanks. I'm impressed. The most I've done is cuddle while playing chess.

>nih syndrome
>the os
yeah nah

Attached: proofs.png (249x243, 14K)

>be UNIX post AT&T lawsuit era
>be splitting into even more pieces all the time most of which will become abandoned by billion dollar companies
>BSD branch has the best code, widest number of target architectures, best amenities for users
>literally all Bell Labs code replaced with faster, better, more correct, and more readable code
>famous book details the design of BSD according to the scientific method and enlightenment ideals
>practically only remnant of original Unix in use to this day excepting corner and edge cases at Oracle and IBM
>perfect trinity of Net, Free, Open, each serving different needs but cross pollinating
>proactive security in OpenBSD benefits all, wife arch support in Net keeps it portable, massive commercial muscle behind Free makes progress as quickly as Linux

>be Linux
>be some dog shit an autistic Finn shat out one file at a time plus now sòÿim and trannies and the fucking north koreans are helping
>thing was never, and has never been, designed, rather congealing like wet dog vomit that the dog vomited up after eating it’s own poop
>non-standard everything, shit bolted on receives no design work or scrutiny, if it runs keep it
>kernel is growing in size more rapidly than the Wikipedia
>ancient features technically work, maybe not, nobody tries most stuff
>init system source code now larger than source code to all of OpenBSD’s default install including a full X system and multiple window managers
>3-5 incompatible network, sound, device node, drive auto mount managers, safety not guaranteed
>no security testing whatsoever in any distro, literally bugs everywhere
>it does support some nonfree gaymes
Fuck Linus and fuck Linux and Intel and Lennart Poettering.

Attached: 75AD1E0B-93D2-4920-B66C-440CB4065BA4.png (1024x768, 280K)

> >be UNIX
> >thing was never, and has never been, designed
FTFY TBQH.
web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf

>what is POSIX

>he doesn’t know

Attached: 806BA134-F626-425D-B821-04D4F04D627B.png (388x389, 79K)

bump

Otter-browser would be preferable as I got YT to work on it, but it misses a few addons sadly

httpd
libressl

Those are actually good pieces of software though.

No, I'm actually going to ask it every time he posts until he actually necks himself. Shitposters need to die

>posting facts
>shitposting

Why haven't you killed yourself yet?

I'm not him tho, there's more than one person who sees OpenBSD for that it is - a useless and stale hipster meme.

Hipster to a degree sure, though the arguments are have been proven to be flawed again and again. Everyone who knows a bit more about tech than just how to install Ubuntu knows this, understands the general approach of OpenBSD. It's not perfect, some area are seriously lacking, like the package management. The majority of you fags don't even understand what journaling does, nor what the difference between ext4 or btrfs is, you are just throwing buzzwords like the uneducated shitposters that you are, that need to be shot and removed from the gene pool

bamp

Both of those projects sprang from the predecessor projects' inability to maintain a decent codebase.

>tfw browsers work good now

>Filename
Gebaseerd en Theopilled

>I got YT to work on it
how?

I don't remember exactly how it happened and which package it was, but here's what I did..
>pkg_add pkg_mgr
>su
>pkg_mgr
>s, codecs
maybe it's libmpeg, don't remember. it was something from that search or smth else from the multimedia-section. worked with otter-browser at least.