Switching from my major in ChemE to CS, should I take java or c & c++...

Switching from my major in ChemE to CS, should I take java or c & c++? my school offers a 3 class series for both and only requires that you complete one of them for a BS in CS

Attached: download.jpg (258x195, 7K)

I'll suggest C/C++
Java it's a little bit more opinionated, and, besides Java requires a little bit more or effort to start working with, C/C++ it's compiled, so you always know exactly what your doing, and with Java specially with IDE they do a lot for you but you don't learn as much as with C/C++

>Switching from my major in ChemE to CS
Why the fuck would you do something so retarded?

Because the job market is actually pretty hard for chemE's atm. You have to be a stellar student to get an actual "engineering" job within 9 months of you graduating. Part of the reason is that chemeng is a small field with not a whole lot of growth and the current market is saturated because the number of grads every year exceeds the number of new jobs. Often times you have to have to give up all hope about living somewhere you would actually want to in order to find work which means that its quite common for new grads to be forced to move out into like a town of 2,000 people in the middle of bumfuck nowhere louisiana. If you do manage to land a job, yes you will typically be on the higher end compared to other engineering majors, but overwhelming amounts of chemE's complain about work/life balance being horrid. ChemE is also one of the hardest majors there is, CS is the major where the ChemE students who can't or don't want to handle the difficulty often go.

Its really not uncommon to run into outsiders who hear the words, "Chemical engineer" and are wowed and think that those people must have the world by its balls but it's really quite the opposite. Go on like plebbit's chemical engineering sub and there is multiple threads everyday about recent grads moaning about they regret their major and what they can do to get started in a different industry.

C/C++ is a great choice if you want to learn the core concepts the hard way (and gain a better understanding of it by doing so)

But I do love Java and the job market is better/bigger. It's pretty easy, has a lot of built in data structures and functionality. The whole JVM is pretty great to be honest.

For your career I would recommend Java.

I'd do C and C++. And please, for the sake of those your work with, learn modern C++ after you master the basics.

C/C++ if you would like working with low level hardware and games, Java if you would like to work on front end business stuff or server side.

I would go with C++
Think of C++ as a meta-language that offers MANY constructs to build domain-specific libraries. You have a lot of control. You can do object-oriented programming, but also use completely different paradigms if you want, because you can use operator overloading, etc.

Java is pretty much a pure OO language (with some functional constructs), and it took all the design decisions for you. It's a nice language but you won't learn as much while using it.

I should add: if you're good at C++ you can very easily master Java.
It's like going from riding a motorbike to riding a bicycle.

C/C++
but you should know that C is beautiful, but C++ looks that something made by an amateur

redpilled.
Do C. C++ is meh at best.

CS is oversaturated af these days. Every zoomer thinks he can succeed in CS because he's good at video games and fixing their parents' computer.
Then you have to compete against the pajeet outsourcing menace after you graduate.
That said you should read up some info about C++, if you feel it's over your head then learn Java.

Can't be more oversat than chemE is.

Nice digits, but it seems like everything is oversaturated these days.

Read each of the courses descriptions and syllabuses. See what type of assignments separate them. Whichever you are more willing to do is more important than which language. Java and C++ are similar enough to where you can learn the other one later. Since you seem more career oriented, Java might suite you more. It'll make personal projects easier. As others said, unless you're interested in lower level software, embedded, and performance critical, there is no reason to learn C++. I learned C++ first in college and while it was harder, I always knew I could easily move over.

languages are memes and the algorithms are what is important.

Go back

I was gonna go ChemEng but was convinced by my uncle who works as one.
I went EE instead. How'd I do?

C++

If you can write it in you will easily be able to translate that to C.
Don't start with java because the garbage collection will spoil you and you'll never be able to swap off it.
Also don't take C unless you have too it's outdated, Java, C++ & C# were all created for a reason.
Do C for fun in your free time because by the time you're done with C++ and Java you will practically know all of its ins and outs without ever touching it.

Blow me. There is no chemE board on Jow Forums and /sci/ is full of retards who think ochem is difficult so I'll take what I can.

Fuck if I know. Isn't EE struggling a bit?

It is, but EEs can settle down with a codemonkey job.

these. i love c.

Damn. As a former chemistry major we bitched about shit pay chemist job market and wish we have studied ChemE.

I guess grass is not greener on other side huh?
I

Sure as fuck ain't. The joke as chemE's is that we should of gone CS.

C++, and learn a bit of C too. Just don't be that faggot who writes C++ code like if it was C or viceversa.

Much better. EE is more interesting, challenging, and has more prospects.

Learn a real language: Haskell, Rust, Golang, Scala, Elixir. These are the future. Only grandpa codes in C++ and Java

A ChemE can get any CS job.

I'd suggest learning Java. You can think in terms of what task you're trying to accomplish, whereas with C/C++ you have to worry about ridiculous things like memory management.

yeah. until we get rid of pajeets everything will be competitive

Jow Forums will tell you to learn C/C++ because they are autists without a job. If you want a job learn Java first and after that you can still learn C/C++ or just skip those and learn the much better Rust

Rust is far from an entry level reachable job. Learn Java or python if you're indecisive. Thsts what companies are looking for, but of course it's all about the frameworks you know.
But when you know something as common as those two, you'll still least be ready to learn anything niche and applicable.

Its more difficult though. Its like yeah, I could get a CS job if I already had the skills and I dropped out, but it wouldn't exactly be easy and there would be more risk compared to getting that piece of paper. Besides I already have enough credits to get a minor in regular chem so I was thinking that if I do get a BS in CS, I could one day go for a masters in computational chemistry, who knows, maybe just go for a PhD in it.

EE is a good choice. In the worst case you can study programming a bit and then work with designing and/or programming embedded devices without even switching to a CS degree.

dude what the fuck stay with chemical engineering. I majored in biochemistry and I got a job working for a chemical engineer making $72k/year doing really interesting things. I do programming as a hobby, which is the best way to enjoy it imo.

Dude thats pure anecdotal though. Your one experience doesn't reflect the whole of the market for cheme's

It depends on where you live though. You can be CS anywhere with software companies.

Honestly, chemistry is just more interesting than CS.

Oh dude I 1000% agree. I fell in love with chemistry from the first day I took gen chem. But when I volunteering in my ochem professor's lab he sat me down and had a heart to heart with me. He said that I should pursue my passions, but I should also understand that its quite difficult to get a satisfying career as a chemist. Thats when I switched to chemE.

The only reason Java exists is because muh free compiler for unis on multiple platforms in muh 90s (write once, crash everywhere). The language is a turd.

So is C++ but this is the world we live in