Squeaking Automotive Pulley

Hello this is a "Accessory Drive Belt Idler Pulley" according to my shop manual.

First of all, what's this ford. It is not a "belt tensioner"

This thing squeaks. A quick fix is to spray some silicone lube in there, and it stops the squeak for a few days. But then it starts.

Should i just wedge a shitload of actual solid grease in there, or replace the pulley as a whole?

Attached: pulley.jpg (225x225, 5K)

>or replace the pulley as a whole?
This. The bearing is junk, and will eventually fall apart, causing the belt to loosen up and fall off, leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

Yes grease the bearings, and then yoursef. Then slide yourself inside a fullbody leather suit before going back into your cage.

can it run crysis though?

Idler pulleys can be and often ARE used as belt tensioners you fucking retard.

An idler is just a pulley that isn't driving anything. They often are used to maintain shape and tension on the belt, which kinda makes it a tensioner.

Just replace it, the bearings wear out over time and they're pretty easy to replace. The hardest time I've ever had replacing an idler was on the fan belt for a 2004 325i, because getting the fan off the front of the engine is a bitch on those things and it can't be done with the fan installed.

replace that shit, when it seizes up it will melt and your belt will fly off leaving you stranded

Have you tried installing gentoo on it? If not try that always works for me.

doesn't know anything about cars past what they look like on the outside. OP that's an idler pulley that acts as the tensioner... you didn't say what car/engine or I could tell you more, but it really doesn't matter. It needs replaced, the bearings are shot. If you keep hitting it with lube it will eventually fail/fall off and you'll kill your engine in the process.

prove it mathematically, reatard. protip you can't, you're a retard, retard.

>you'll kill your engine in the process.
i can see that happening.

i bet that this one little failing part worth $3-$20 is the reason why i see cars dead on the highway

At first I thought you were just telling him to kill himself.
Then it turned into a riveting microstory. Why a gimp suit? Where is the cage? You have me on the edge of my proverbial seat.

best answer award.

imagine being such a good mechanic you could replace the bearings.

instead of replacing a part for a few bucks you do it for a few cents, but still charging the customer for a few hundred bucks.

replace it retard. the parts like 20-30 american burgers on amazon(maybe cheaper from parts place like napa or autozone) and shop labor should be about an hours worth of work.

so why are there separate names idler pulley and tensioner pulley? define idler and tensioner, retard.

well, i'm a retard so i can change this part myself.

they're press fit you'd be hard pressed to get them out.

>doesn't know anything about cars past what
>they look like on the outside

computers aren't the only technology. why is this forum exclusive to computers?

nobody here knows how computers really work, let alone a fucking pulley.

>why can't this board be about any form of technology?

This.
The only moving part is the bearing. If there is squeaking that means the bearing isn't running cleanly which means it is wearing.

looks like a bolt. spray with some penetrating oil, use a long driver, push lightly once or twice counter clock wise, then harder clockwise.

sorry other way around

tighten clockwise once or twice, lightly
then loosen normally, counter clockwise

>they're press fit
lol yeah now i know what you're saying.

Jesus guys.

They're different things, and idler doesn't put tension on anything, it's not on a spring, it's just there for the belt to route around. A tensioner pulley is mounted on a spring, that when you release it, tensions the belt.
They're replaced as a whole, not just a bearing. You can get just the bearings for bigger parts (starter, alternator, wheel hubs) but pulleys are so inexpensive they don't usually sell bearings for them.
Was making my way to /o/ and saw this, yeah, /o/s a bunch of retards masturbating over sub-2L Hondas for the most part with little actual wrenching going on. However there are a few of us that try to be worth something.

Attached: 2018-06-18 09.16.28.jpg (2829x1590, 3.07M)

Holy shit have you ever worked on machinery in your life? No? Then why are you instantly criticizing what the part is called? It's an idler pulley, it puts constant tension on the accessory belt (the belt that drives the A/C, alternator, various pumps, etc.). If it wasn't installed the belt would last 10% as long because as soon as it stretched a bit it would start to slip. Don't question your betters, pleb.

Bearings wear, then they seize, and no amount of grease will make a worn bearing less worn. Just fucking replace it. It'll take like an hour or two. Follow the service guide or watch a YouTube video. It's one of the easiest things to replace on most cars.

Well fuck me I look retarded. I've never encountered a failing idler that wasn't spring mounted so I assumed it was.

>idler pulley, it puts constant

see that's where i'm confused. i thought it just worked when idling. i idle a lot. i thought maybe that's why it wore out quickly.

>and you'll kill your engine in the process
Probably not, it's an accessory belt pulley, not a timing belt one. It could certainly lead to a sudden loss of power and that could mean a wreck, though.

I don't know how you stand /o/ at all. I gave up after too many times when I'd give people solid advice based on my professional experience (at a well-regarded BMW/Porsche race prep/fab/tuning shop) and would just get flooded by people calling me a retard because I contradicted their forum lore bullshit.

On that note, if you ever want to watch /o/ lose their collective minds, just tell them that cheap coilovers are a waste of money and that they should buy shocks and springs instead.

I think I remember you, and I agreed with you
thanks to Alphonse and Mr. Cummy, that place turned to shit
Frosty turning trap after two bids was fucking hilarious tho

>all that shit
or you could order a new one, replace it in under 30 minutes for even the most bitching serpentine belt then test drive it for 15 to make sure it was the cause and not something else making a slapping noise

It was termi who got under my skin, dude was always spouting some bullshit. I can tune out alphonse and cummy, but it's like termi would seek out my posts just to start shit and argue. I thought frosty was kinda funny just from some of the shit he would say to rag on people, but damn is he a fuckin liar.

>cheap coilovers are a waste of money and that they should buy shocks and springs instead.

but muh lowered vehicle with lower center of gravity and mad cornering skills disagrees with you 1000%!

he meant lowering springs and sport shocks, dingus

No, "idling" in this context doesn't mean engine idling. It means the pulley is passive, it spins freely. Compare that to the water pump or anything else the belt is hooked around and you'll notice they all are consuming power from the engine to do stuff. The idling pulley thought? Nah, it's just there to route the belt around or keep it tensioned. It's not a mechanical load.

i bet you if your truck still runs funny in a month Im destroying your subs

i agree

Your still going to need a tensioner. odds are the squeak you hear is from the belt because the tensioner is weak and not applying enough pressure therefore the belt is loose.

Underrated

Nah, just shit bearings. It's obvious since if he squirts silicone lube on it the shrieking stops for a bit.

That, and a lot of parts that cost pennies to make but cost hundreds-thousands to buy. I've got a local junkyard that specializes in cars and trucks, where they'll pay you $400 for just about any car to keep their yard full. You go there, pay a buck to look around, and if you find the part you need on one of their cars, you can buy it for a flat rate. I think it's like $20, but I haven't been there in a while. Every car I've had, I go there and pull my own parts if they're $22 or more.

The bearing needs replacing. Problem is if you have a rice burner and the belt is the timing belt and that bearing goes your engine can be destroyed quickly(in seconds). Happened on a civic to a friend of mine.

He clearly states it's an accessory drive pulley. Besides changing the cambelt never hurts while you're already in there, OP. Don't forget to replace the waterpump and change oil and filter while you're at it. Bam, you saved yourself 300€.

>Replace water pump that still works.
Do you do this on a service interval? Seems overkill.

Holy shit Jow Forums needs to stfu with the car advice. You guys can't even get your shit together for PC advice. Wtf makes you think you know how to fix automobiles?

Don’t forget the belt drives the water pump... so yes, can kill the engine through overheating.

It’s an idler pulley, and the bearings are shot. They’re stupidly easy to replace and shouldn’t take more than 20 min or so, depending on the complexity of your belt drive.

Replace idler pulley. Replace accessory belt if cracked.

Cars are vastly simpler so it stands to reason that the average retard on Jow Forums would be able to work on a car with at least greater competence than they have with computers.

accessory pulley, to be changed with the belt tensioner pulley and the belt itself.

i see thank you for the amazing explanation!