The Internet

Why do I have to pay an ISP to access the Internet, is there a way to do it for free?

Attached: images.jpg (275x184, 12K)

There's free wifi at McDongles

you can build a huge wifi receiving antenna on your roof and leech off the nearest wifi hotspot or old lady's unsecured wifi.

>equipment doesn't cost money
>infrastructure and maintenance doesn't cost money

> why can't i have free stuff REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
fucking neet, get a job

The internet is a bunch of interconnected networks. Your network is your router and whatever computers are on it. If you want to talk to another network, you need a direct line to that network, or you need a direct line to some intermediate network that has a direct line to that network (there may be several levels of indirection, but all intermediate networks are connected to each other by direct line). The reason you pay an ISP is to have a direct line to their network, which has direct or indirect lines to every other network.

If you don't want to pay an ISP you need to be connected to a network that is indirectly connected to all the other networks and is willing to forward your traffic for free. Why would any network operator be willing to use their equipment to forward your traffic for free?

Thank you, so the question is how would I go about building my own network with a line to other networks? Basically becoming my own ISP?

You need a couple thousand dollars, a looong cable, and a willing partner.

Not to ISP. The government subsidize this shit.

This does not apply to the United States.

You need to have something to offer. If you don't want to offer money, the most common other thing is a mutual direct connection, called a peering agreement. In a peering agreement, both parties are offering connections to networks on the internet. A peering agreement is when you say "you route all my traffic to the networks you're connected to, and I'll route all your traffic to the networks I'm connected to". But you're not connected to any networks, so you can't enter such an agreement, because it would be one-sided. That's why you instead have to offer money, because you can't offer any connections.

tl;dr you can't be your own isp because you have nothing to offer another entity to peer with you.

he wants internet, not sex partner.

>There's free wifi at McDongles
Apple store?

Don't be so stingy, goy

It's conceptually the same thing.

You could try stealing the internet.

Not in merica

Find your nearest fibreoptics cabinet or 4G relay station.
Hook up your disposable router.
Connect your network to the said router.
Profit?

Attached: 1452233724-2087826084-kinomax-5.jpg (521x800, 282K)

can you imagine there was a time when angelina jolie was fucking hot?

I remember the time when she was in her prime.

Attached: 1520391846517.webm (1272x544, 204K)

does this actually work?

Attached: 1539288121129.jpg (446x604, 65K)

maybe he has a printer in his network

Until you're discovered

by who user?

Attached: cayman.jpg (640x484, 83K)

My grandma can make some mean ass cookies, I think we can reach a deal.

Maintenance technicians

Of course it does.
Its just that sometimes a technician from the company visits the said fibreoptics cabinet or 4G relay station and removes your equipment. Or its too much of a hassle and can be more expensive or unreliable...
My uncle has the fibreoptics cabinet for his block from his isp in the basement of his building right next to his storage room in the basement.
Its been years since someone went there and he pays the regular price for shitty 10Mb/s down 2Mb/s up connection while using their shit illegally.
He even considered become the buildings janitor so he can lock the basement and have the only key.

There was a Kickstarter project to produce a device that would connect directly to satellites to access the internet bypassing isp and government restrictions. The name escapes me right now. It was big during arab spring.

just keep posting with your phone ya fucking poor faggot.

Hes late on his bill its about to be disconnected

Because you haven't made the agreements you would need with higher level service providers and you don't own/have license to use the physical infrastructure.

If you want to you can imagine yourself an ISP working under a terrible higher level provider with no customers.

Attached: 2000-11-fig1.png (508x217, 5K)

What sort of equipment do you need?

Isn't there a PPPoE login or whatever like when you use ADSL?

We are starting to get FTTN boxes (photo) pop up here in Australia, can I do the same thing?

Attached: 0_450_800_0_70__Galleries_20160318113851_NBN15.jpg (676x450, 53K)

if everything is direct line in the end, how do networks get connected from a far distance? stupid question, but is there cables?

You mean across oceans?
It's just really cool. There's also satellite but that obviously wouldn't do when it comes to the transfer rates required.

Attached: 140227141834-north-america-europe-submarine-cable-map-2014-2-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg (980x552, 136K)

There are cables going across the bottom of the ocean. Sharks biting them and terrorists cutting them is an actual concern.

Attached: grug.png (798x490, 95K)

It's true for a lot of countries that the state owns the infrastructure and basically contracts away expansions.
It's called municipal broadband usually.
It tends to have much more favorable outcomes for the consumer.

How much public money do you think has gone into private communications infrastructure in the US?
I'll give you a hint: The number is not zero but it does have a lot of zeroes in it.

Attached: 1429136140619.jpg (384x395, 24K)

Maybe this is me being naive but I doubt the US government would actually be so blatant as to pump out money to infrastructure contracts with no return or ownership from that.

It still costs money, whether from taxpayers or subscribers. Tier 1 and Tier 2 providers are stil private enterprises.
Probably less than you seem to be implying.
State governments have pumped money into larger ISPs like Verizon to go toward universal service. It hasn't worked very well.

>tier 1 and 2 are still private
Depends on the particular ISP.
>it still costs money
I don't understand why you bring it up. Yes, people pay other people for services rendered across both the private and public sector. This is how modern western democracy tend to exchange goods. Winter is coming in the northern hemisphere and the earth still moves around the sun.

Seeing how the US has faster internet than 99% of Yurop, it has gone well.

Also every single municipal ISP in the US is deep in the red and often end up getting sold to private ISP's.

you are ustasha

Get cancer, government drone.

You need a router, a short utp cable with RJ-45 connections and a laptop.

you really are ustasha

Get cancer, government drone.

You could register yourself an ASN number, setup your own BGP routers'n shit and just directly link yourself to the nearest internet-exchange.

dzesika alba je uvek bila bolja dbi

you are indeed an ustasha

Attached: zorad.jpg (598x450, 24K)

Hello Jow Forums
I just here to tell you not to take anything... !CMPT96zAPo says seriously becouse he is infact a cia nigger that works against his own country.

Ugly woman.

Mama ti je ustasa

>State governments have pumped money into larger ISPs like Verizon to go toward universal service. It hasn't worked very well.
this is misleading, states are responsible for handing out infrastructure development money, if they aren't stipulating specific things be done with that money, that's on them.

Verizon is the largest single fiber ISP in the nation for customers serviced, over 6 million on pure FTTH fiber internet.

Yeah I’ll just go to job mart and get a job

Just steal internet from your neighbor

Sadly I do not remember the name, but there were threads about an alternative internet (iirc you cannot access THE internet). It uses radio for the connections on some unused/free frequency. All it needed was you buying a receiver/sender and other peers near you (to create a mesh for the internet to work obviously).

I know it isnt't really related but I thought it was interesting.

The ISPs pocketed the money, but they donate to campaigns too. Round and round it goes.

>Seeing how the US has faster internet than 99% of Yurop, it has gone well.
*inhales*
Lol no

Jow Forumsternet?

Are you being serious?

I live in eastern europe (bratislava) and I have 1Gbps internet.
Average is about 300/100 for 13eurodollars/month. My dad in very rural mountain area has 300/50 mbps optics for 25eur/month.
When I was playing Lineage 2 with american clan they all had shitty expensive connections except for 2 guys that lived in Boston.

So it's the politicians rufusing to hold them accountable.

Sounds like a government problem, not corporation.

any meshnet functions that way, but nothing prevents anyone from running their own private or public meshnet to internet bridges

kaj?