Is there any hope for programming on Windows? I need to use NPM for the type of development I'm into...

Is there any hope for programming on Windows? I need to use NPM for the type of development I'm into, but it's causing so many problems it's starting to dawn on me that I'd be better off just buying an SSD and installing Ubuntu. So sorry for the newfaggotry, but if I want to do this seriously is this the best way to go? Will a 500GB SSD be sufficient?

Attached: props3.gif (229x139, 4K)

install gentoo

Why Gentoo? Can you recommend a decent SSD card?

Dude. 32GiB is enought for ubuntu. Basic instal is usually

Nice... can you give a quick rundown of the benefits of programming on linux rather than Windows? Will NPM run better on it? Thanks.

Enable Windows Linux Subsystem, then install Ubuntu through the Microsoft Store, next you can install npm.

wtf, I can just install it in windows? is it really as good?

It's slow. Really, unbearably slow. WSL is a tech demo, not something you use.
node.js supports windows, but first-tier support is delegated towards *nix based OS'es. There may be libraries that will not work on Windows at all
640K ought to be enough for everyone

if you're looking to go down the ubuntu route, don't. it's dummy lignux with more backdoors than a door factory. use debian if you want an easy distro.
however, if you want to go balls deep into things, use gentoo. best decision i ever made. it can be whatever you want, and whatever you install is automatically optimized for your system.

msys2

Yes you can install it for Windows 10. Almost everything I tried with it worked like it should, except of testdisk not recognizing any disks mounted, but I doubt that's relevant to you. I use yarn and after setting it up properly on Ubuntu (requires removing a pre installed package) it works pretty fine. You'll have to add symbolic links to your regular Windows user folder in the Ubuntu install, but that's not that difficult.
People say it's slow. From my experience it's fine. However, the worst in speed I know is an old Raspberry Pi. Apparently Microsoft is working on WLinux which will be a distro that'll be faster in this situation.

Alright I guess I'll get an SSD then
Would i be able to use Homebrew with Gentoo? I'll be needing to use NPM a lot.

>homebrew
Are you talking about macOS' homebrew?

well yeah but it got packed for Linux as Linuxbrew. I guess I shouldve said that.

i use linux for shell (think command prompt on windows). it enables you to install and manage stuff really quickly and painlessly. for example, you'd install node by running
sudo apt install nodejs
and npm by running
sudo apt install npm
in the shell.

Thanks. What are your thoughts on Gentoo?

look up a video on youtube that explains what it is and you'll figure out if you want it yourself. for development, i'd go with ubuntu or it's derivatives. pick the one that you like the look of the most cuz they're all (more or less) the same.

It's usable. Some programs will be broken for you, but you can run PostgreSQL, Redis, Python, Ruby, the JVM and a lot of other software just fine.

You could probably get away with a 64Gb SSD and have plenty of room for projects unless you work heavily with graphical assets. 128GB is the sweet spot with regards to price and availability.

Yeah I had a quick look on youtube, it looks ideal for someone a bit more familiar, i'll start with ubuntu first

>It's slow. Really, unbearably slow. WSL is a tech demo, not something you use.
Elaborate. I've been using WSL for quite some time and haven't encountered any slowness so far.

Then perhaps you were never used to fast development cycles in the first place. Same project that uses Webpack takes 22300ms(on average) to compile without cache under WSL and 11500ms when running natively on both Windows and Linux

>Then perhaps you were never used to fast development cycles in the first place.
Well I still mostly run all my projects in vagrant using default vbox shared folders, so you're not wrong on that.

The only sensible way to program on windows is to set up a Linux vm with your preferred dev environment and connect to it through ssh forwarding in virtualbox. If you want an IDE just set up x server forwarding on Windows.
Then cross compile for win32 using mingw64 on Linux.

Attached: 1532566563054.jpg (1920x1080, 1012K)

you should also consider this

Everything you'll need for programming will run way better on Linux really.
Except for the Windows tech stacks of course (Dotnet, C# ...)

Attached: wovz8ldv54x11.png (1500x1050, 321K)

Where is your problem?

Attached: Annotation 2018-11-09 213229.jpg (2079x987, 162K)