Untitled

ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac mini Late 2018 Teardown/115210

Attached: NdgXsdWjsCdeHFmG.medium.jpg (592x444, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/mac/docs/Apple_T2_Security_Chip_Overview.pdf
telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8912714/Apple-iTunes-flaw-allowed-government-spying-for-3-years.html
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/05/new-guidelines-outline-what-iphone-data-apple-can-give-to-police/
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3018047/macos-high-sierra-arrives-with-a-password-pinching-zero-day-in-tow
appleinsider.com/articles/18/09/24/some-iphone-xs-xs-max-owners-complaining-of-poor-wireless-reception
forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/09/13/apple-is-deleting-bought-films-from-itunes-accounts-and-dont-expect-a-refund/
youtu.be/VYQgn8J6zbU
cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/applesuit.pdf
washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/johns-hopkins-researchers-discovered-encryption-flaw-in-apples-imessage/2016/03/20/a323f9a0-eca7-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html?utm_term=.d4b7b03614f4
bgr.com/2016/03/21/iphone-imessage-encryption-hackers/
thehackernews.com/2017/08/frappening-celebrity-photos.html
hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/
9to5mac.com/2016/04/19/apple-transparency-report-law-enforcement-requests/
engadget.com/2016/07/21/kickasstorrents-apple-facebook-homeland-security/
cnet.com/news/iphone-apple-brassiere-photos-nude-pictures/
mybroadband.co.za/news/software/234274-put-123-in-your-iphone-calculator-and-get-the-wrong-answer.html
news.softpedia.com/news/iphone-8-plus-battery-bursts-while-charging-destroys-case-and-screen-517860.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=mcTAXsFHu5I
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-bug-letter-i-apple-keyboard-ios-update-software-people-unable-write-type-text-a8039706.html
youtu.be/K669-vhKshU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can upgrade the RAM, but if the chipset dies your data goes with it

Preferred if they added NVMe instead or at least the custom apple connector

That's probably more board space for the T2 controller and the flash chips than the size a Samsung 970 NVMe SSD. (Both have comparable performance.)

Apple claims to be environmentally friendly, but if one storage chip goes bad the whole mainboard has to be replaced. (Not even mentioning the ability to upgrade storage.)

Is this a scam by Apple to clear out surplus low capacity flash chips? (As in 128GB soldered down storage.) Why do people let themselves be swindled by Apple?

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1515815074072.gif (500x491, 376K)

Based-anti-mac Sataniaposter

>soldered ssd
into le trash

What I want to know is where fuck does apple get off hiking the price this high for what is basically a refresh.

>ifixit considers this very upgradable
Literally the only thing you can upgrade is the ram
>says it's deserving of a "pro" name because it reminds them of extremely upgradable mac pros of the past
Jesus Christ

Fucking macfags
I wondered why my phone tried to autocorrect ifixit to idiocracy

>where does apple get off
little boys

Attached: file.png (970x315, 62K)

What's so important about the T2 anyway? Does the mac mini needs it?

>Preferred if they added NVMe

It is NVMe.

Attached: 1510844618922.png (730x985, 158K)

The SSD being non-replaceable is part of the T2 security chain.

Apple products tend to share most of the same basic tech after a period of time. It typically starts at the high end and later trickles down. Also, since 2017 it's been made ever clearer that Apple intends to bring the same hardware-level security of iOS devices to the Mac line, using custom chips like the T2.

based apple making sure our stuff is either safe from privy eyes or destroyed
maybe those ring -3 spooks can bypass the t2 chip but sure as hell they cant bypass a dead ssd controller

I mean the M.2 port

For anyone who wants to know more:

apple.com/mac/docs/Apple_T2_Security_Chip_Overview.pdf

uh-oh

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-09-19-34-03(1).jpg (473x263, 78K)

Better VRMs than your SNSV TUF GAYMEN Z390 PRO GAYMEN

>apple
>using the highest quality components
lmao

Attached: 1515363894796.jpg (1279x557, 217K)

Is that even actually correct? Is the T2 chip actually using NVMe?

The SSD uses NVMe.

>The SSD being non-replaceable is part of the T2 security chain.
Eh, no?
If the T2 chip is properly encrypting the storage then you could easily have the storage on some replaceable daughterboard. The only thing that really needs to be secure is the T2 chip itself.

There is no SSD.
The T2 chip connects directly to the flash memory.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1526499514401.gif (193x200, 2.2M)

Of course not. However, you can clearly see the absence of discrete FETs in favor of integrated powerstages, which are more efficient even if their rated current are low. The VRM implementation on the Mac Mini is fine; there are other aspects which you could have criticized about, such as the soldered NAND flash which screws you over with your data and settings even if something else on the motherboard such as the PCH fails. Now that's something to lament about.

On the other hand, many low-end to mid-range motherboards have skimped VRMs. Some implementations are acceptable, but could have been much better. This time on the Z390, even the Maximus lineup got
condemned with 4 phases, with 2 SiC639 (well they are high quality powerstages) in each phase. While the picture may suggest that the Mac Mini's VRM is also a 4+2 phase, do keep in mind that the TDP of the mobile chip is far smaller than desktop chips such as the 8086K and 9900K.

see

see

Best case scenario base frequency is maintained, worst case it throttles extremely hard despite thermals like on the newest macbook "pro". It's gonna be a shitshow either way.

Attached: justputitinthefreezerbro.png (2560x1440, 2M)

So ultimately the T2 is performing hardware accelerated drive encryption at the block device level, meaning that a compromised OS cannot yield the drive encryption key.

It's good from a security perspective, but unnecessary for the average mactoddler and pretty fucking convenient for Apple that it stops the end user from upgrading the SSD.

>"""journalist"""
>can't even write the names correctly
If they miss something this obvious how could they ever believe they can inform?

>street shitting ipajeet
>thinks he belongs on Jow Forums

Attached: 1516167005311.png (1920x1080, 2.64M)

Too bad it's already been bypassed (takes longer than webm related tho). Sqr55s my ass.

Attached: ios_in_a_nutshell.webm (640x360, 2.94M)

>ignoring what i've written to get in an extra shitpost
>still evading your ban

>attacking the source to avoid the argument
nice mental gymnastics there buddy

>Itoddler capitalizes the 2nd letter in wordsinstead of the first because "muh fruit shit"
>claims others can't spell
SEETHING

Who's arguing, andreet? I just said that it's sloppy journalism to get the names wrong. At least find higher-quality shitposting material.

Attached: download.jpg (278x181, 10K)

based

>when your terminal autism turns everything into an argument

Projecting much?

Attached: lel33.jpg (1280x720, 75K)

>thinks i'm projecting
>still trying to argue when no argument was made
This is sad.

10/10

Attached: 223_donate.jpg (574x460, 46K)

POO IN LOO

>It's good from a security perspective, but unnecessary for the average mactoddler

This is why Apple is a (sometimes) trillion-dollar company while Microsoft and Google are left sucking fumes delivering fake broken Asian security to billions of poors.

Tell us more.

They neglected fixing a security vulnerability for three years so law enforcement could use it as a backdoor. Who says they don't the same with iOS?
telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8912714/Apple-iTunes-flaw-allowed-government-spying-for-3-years.html

Most iCloud data and some data from passcode-locked devices can be provided.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/05/new-guidelines-outline-what-iphone-data-apple-can-give-to-police/

theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3018047/macos-high-sierra-arrives-with-a-password-pinching-zero-day-in-tow

>A1226/A1260 2007-2008 Macbook GPU failures, warranty service refusal
>A1226/A1260 2007-2008 Macbook Pro hinge/frame problem
>A1286 Macbook Pro - the "Unibody" myth, glued together pieces fall apart
>A1286/A1297 MCP power circuit failure due to poor buck converter design: C7771 issue
>iPhone 4 cellular placement fail
>iPhone 5 power button problem
>A1286 2010 Macbook Pro GPU kernel panics due to same buck converter defect from 2008/2009
>A1286 2011 Macbook Pro GPU failure, Apple gets sued over not addressing problem.
>Apple gives out badly refurbished boards as warranty replacements for 2011 GPU failures.
>2012 Retina Macbook Pro: another motherboard issue (U8900), due to poor soldering/manufacturing method on the GPU buck converter.
>Mac Pro GPU failure (again).
>iPhone 6/6+ touchscreen issue due to structural issue. You have to pay for support.
>SSD soldered straight into the motherboard+ chip that would kill the macbook, because a power line would short out to ground when the chip dies.
>2016 Macbook keyboard reliability issue.
>2016 Macbook Battery failure issue.
>A1278 Macbook Pro SATA cable failures(yes, really).
>2018 Macbook Pro i9 throttling in a freezer.
>2019 Macbook Pro (2018) VRM failures due to stress of the 2018 fix.

>it has removable RAM
yikes

>one or two high-profile security bugs and some well-understood compromises for cloud convenience = IT'S A CONSPIRACY BURN IT ALL DOWN

Let's keep going.

appleinsider.com/articles/18/09/24/some-iphone-xs-xs-max-owners-complaining-of-poor-wireless-reception

forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/09/13/apple-is-deleting-bought-films-from-itunes-accounts-and-dont-expect-a-refund/

youtu.be/VYQgn8J6zbU 6 vs 9

cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/applesuit.pdf

washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/johns-hopkins-researchers-discovered-encryption-flaw-in-apples-imessage/2016/03/20/a323f9a0-eca7-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html?utm_term=.d4b7b03614f4

bgr.com/2016/03/21/iphone-imessage-encryption-hackers/

thehackernews.com/2017/08/frappening-celebrity-photos.html

hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/

9to5mac.com/2016/04/19/apple-transparency-report-law-enforcement-requests/

engadget.com/2016/07/21/kickasstorrents-apple-facebook-homeland-security/

cnet.com/news/iphone-apple-brassiere-photos-nude-pictures/

mybroadband.co.za/news/software/234274-put-123-in-your-iphone-calculator-and-get-the-wrong-answer.html

news.softpedia.com/news/iphone-8-plus-battery-bursts-while-charging-destroys-case-and-screen-517860.shtml

youtube.com/watch?v=mcTAXsFHu5I

independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-bug-letter-i-apple-keyboard-ios-update-software-people-unable-write-type-text-a8039706.html

Attached: 1507373237403.png (847x1063, 419K)

based Apple making sure unlicensed poos don't fuck up my computer

I would argue that the thermal solution on the CPU is the main culprit, and not the efficiency (or lack thereof) of the VRMs. The heatsinks don't look beefy at all in the Mac Mini

So there's no mention of NVMe in that document and there is nothing on the document that requires the flash memory to be onboard and not a daughterboard based module. Such a module would still be proprietary, but it could also be made available so that if, for instance, the flash memory dies you can swap out the module rather than throwing out the motherboard.

youtu.be/K669-vhKshU

now they are banning people from selling refurbs on amazon

>i3, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
hmmmm
i have a i3-6100, 8gb ram and a 240gb ssd. how feasible is it to set up a hackintosh?

the problem is that one user is being pedantic, and another user doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about when he says "nvme"
there's this group of retarded brainlets on Jow Forums than mixes up terms like "m2", "sata", "nvme", "type c". they don't know what they actually mean

>wanting to run IOS at all

Macs do not run iOS.

i get it, you don't like Cisco, but IOS has a really nice CLI.