Is X compromised?

We see this kind of thread all the time.
Is Tor compromised? Does the Linux kernel have a backdoor? Is Firefox botnet? Is Systemd botnet?
All the threads seem to want to influence people to not believe in open source, and stay within the reach of various huge personal-data-selling corps and various intelligence agencies. "Stay on Windows, stay on Mac, keep using Gmail, privacy is dead, you cannot meaningfully oppose this, you cannot escape".

Here are the current stats:
Tor: Acceptably safe, if you follow the intended guidelines.
Linux kernel: No backdoor.
Firefox: No "botnet", i e it doesn't have any hidden tracking features [1].
Systemd: No "botnet". No hidden features [2].

1. Telemetry can be disabled. If you believe they can be magically turned on again, then link a source for it.
2. Default DNS fallback is Google DNS, but this "will most likely never be needed" and can be manually changed.

The above stats are true, until further notice.
If you believe that any of these programs are insecure, please show where in the source code:
github.com/TheTorProject
github.com/torvalds/linux
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Source_Code/Downloading_Source_Archives
github.com/systemd/systemd
(or provide a link to a news article)

Attached: 3.jpg (1284x1648, 2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReportingBadRelays#Doyouactivelylookforbadrelays
borncity.com/win/2018/10/29/linux-vulnerability-cve-2018-15688-in-systemd/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump out of interest

Not expecting a lot from the shillers. It's easier to just make unfounded FUD shitposts

>Is X compromised?

yes, this why wayland is now a thing

Bumping

Is OP compromised?

No one has pointed out the "OBVIOUS flaws" in the software yet. That's odd!

It's funny considering that every shitposter seems to know that X is a botnet, but no one is willing to prove it.

Brainlet here, if the government owns tor nodes is it still good to use if you follow guidelines?

Bumping for this. Can the exit node get any info on you?

An exit node can get info on what data it is retrieving and its previous node

so realistically they would need to have access to multiple nodes in your path to get information on you, but there are some analytic methods to get additional information about tor users that are too complicated for a brainlet like me to understand

look it up on arxiv

yes. the government would have to own the majority of nodes for there to be a real problem. even then it still wouldn't be that useful as https is so prevelant, and hidden services are encrypted. tor are actively searching for bad nodes, though, so there's very little risk of any correlation. sniffing and exploiting gets you kicked off of the network.

How could an exit node operator get caught sniffling and exploiting?

trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReportingBadRelays#Doyouactivelylookforbadrelays
they use a bunch of monitoring systems.

seems alright then

>the government would have to own the majority of nodes for there to be a real problem
>implying they don't

>even then it still wouldn't be that useful as https is so prevelant
moot point when cloudflare exists
cloudflare completely breaks SSL

Standard SSL handshake:
User -> website's key -> website
User cloudflare's key -> cloudflare -> website's key -> website
User

And they say Americans aren't a race. I literally cannot tell anyone in that picture apart.

Firefox spyware can be disabled...but Mozilla will add more and change your settings after every update.

what about freenet?

Is this a conspiracy theory about conspiracy theories?

Windows telemetry turns on after updates.

Why would linux kernel have a backdoor

It's open source

>All the threads seem to want to influence people to not believe in open source, and stay within the reach of various huge personal-data-selling corps and various intelligence agencies.
Are you saying this is a coördinated effort?

>using cloudfare-based clearnet sites
>using clearnet sites in the first place

bump

user, you're on a clearnet site.

Needle in a haystack.

>the Linux kernel
A bit of a redundant thing to say. What else would Linux be but a kernel?

>Linux kernel: No backdoor.[1]
Almost always contains proprietary blobs that can't be confirmed for anything really. Easily removable though.

i'm not on tor.

>Systemd: No "botnet". No hidden features [2].
just a few weeks ago we learned that sending a special dhcpv6 packet to systemd would compromise it and let you crash it and run code.
borncity.com/win/2018/10/29/linux-vulnerability-cve-2018-15688-in-systemd/

systemd is one of those really big piles of poor code which should be considered compromised. Don't care if it's intentional or not. I can't say with any certainty that a serious exploit exists in ISC's dhclient - but I can tell you that it is an absolute certainty that several will be found in systemd the next 12 months. The quality control or lack there of in that project guarantees it.

As for backdoors in general: it's quite possible to make a minor subtle changes which have huge security implications (remember debians ssl "patch"?). It's always hard to tell if it's by design or not. If someone spots a "glitch" in a open source project then it's easy to say "oops we made a mistake there" and pretend you didn't know all along.

I like this picture.

Isn't it fascinating how Christians always make the best programmers?

black-pilled

Pretty much. Personally I'm thinking it's a gubment disinformation campaign to keep everyone here from questioning actually questionable things.

190 IQ cybersec genius here. Always keep in mind:
>1. Think in probabilities, not absolutes
(i.e. what are the degrees of "compromised" and how likey are they?)
> 2. Have a threat model.
i.e., 1024 bit keys are "compromised" but at astronomical cost. Many other attacks are very expensive. Others, not.
> 3. Defense in depth
If a single plausible "compromise" would have serious consequences, just don't do it. If there is a fallback (i.e. VPN for tracking, virtualized containers), use it. SPOF is sin.

Shit-flinging and agonizing about whether individual pieces of software are "compromised" is the lowest form of cybersec thinking.

Unless those monitoring systems are compromised.

Systemd may not be compromised (yet) but it is bloat and in my experience, terrible to use in comparison to say runit.