What is the appeal of Chromebooks?

What is the appeal of Chromebooks?

Attached: 1383606657750.jpg (240x260, 38K)

>good battery life
>just works

They are cheap as fuck. My school bought like 50 million.

Cheap, it just werks, learn how to code cheaply on loonix

cheap windows-free laptops to give to mom so she can watch YouTube and use facebook. require minimal maintenance so she won't be calling you every other week about a "virus"

< $200 for a computer that does pretty much everything the average normalfag does on a daily basis

GalliumOS

Attached: Screenshot_20181107-231055.png (2560x1600, 1.79M)

>

ghetto schools can finally have computers

They don’t need computers to learn how to commit armed robbery and carjacking

For normalfags? Cheap hardware with Chrome, a wallpaper, and no malware. For Jow Forumsentoomen? Long battery life, decent specs, no winshit tax, can easily unlock the bootloader and install Ubuntu/Fedora or any other distro with guaranteed hardware support in Linux.

Attached: 16c801a11469d83859ed54be1cf73ef0db2c5c59f6109b0198531c013cb519ae.jpg (720x1006, 275K)

i use it as my main
its a good operating system

Attached: Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 8.26.34 PM.png (1365x768, 319K)

>What's the deal with chromebooks?
>You buy a laptop but you don't have a computer
>Your computer is in cloud that goes to the computer on your lap
>I mean come on people!

Coreboot

Cheap and can do homework.

$200 facebook machine

Decent build quality

This. Gave them to boomer family and all but ended my days of being tech support. For that alone I praise Google. Also, if you don't want a heavy thinkpad, a cheap cb is a decent daily driver with termux or cruton.

They're not made of chrome, and they're not books

Attached: 1465107376587.gif (159x146, 1.94M)

Remove the write protect screw, flash tranny-libre/coreboot, $150 Linux machine that RMS would almost approve of. 80-90% there.

build for chrome.

cheap
~3 seond boot
~8 hour battery

You can put it in dev mode and run crouton for a standard linux environment.

came here only to post this

LOL I read that in Jerry's voice too.

Any way, the answer is already here. Cheap AF. Schools love them because buying laptops for students used to be much more expensive before they came along.

How good is a Chromebook for gayming? Whats the "highest-spec" game it could run?

Does my asus laptop with windows 10, a celeron, 4gb of ram and a 64gb emmc storage count as a chromebook ?

Chromebooks are botnet, don't buy them

Come join us don't be afraid.

2nding for school use.
I worked for a district, and they were cheap as fuck so we bought them to replace the Windows laptops. All the kids really did was internet research/games, and use Google docs to write papers. They integrate with enterprise settings pretty well too, so onboarding them wasn't too difficult and we didn't have to worry about kids downloading bullshit chrome apps.

We did keep a few sets of Windows laptops, and Windows machines in the computer lab/computer classes for compatibility with Windows software when it was needed. They were also much more powerful and could do things like image editing, etc.

Fucking stop with the botnet meme. Chromebooks are fine if you don't use ChromeOS.

clash of clans

I could give a fuck about ChromeOS but I'm still pissed I didn't get a Cr-48.

Maybe someday I'll buy an old Chromebook Pixel to fuck around with if I ever get a wild hair up my ass. Did they ever get Windows working on those things?

Pixel book and Pixel Slate should not be classified as Chromebooks. League of their own, beats the tar and water sauce outta Mac shits.