How to securely read pdf files in linux?

How to securely read pdf files in linux?

Attached: 1521119844261.png (428x421, 280K)

>linux
Cringe

>Cringe
cringe

(you)

>>Cringe
>cringe
cRINGE

Is docker a the choice? How does snap compare?

you can't securely process turing-complete protocol
some reader that doesn't implement the embedded JavaScript execution would help though

Okular.

huh? Implying it's insecure to read pdfs o n linux?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

yes, it's insecure to read PDFs on anything
if you need a recommendation for a fun night, find a "Funky file formats" ccc talk and some langsec.org talks

I'm not familiar with how much damage a PDF can do, but couldnt you transfer it to an airgapped machine, put in VM and check network traffic?

Just use a PDF reader that doesn't execute anything other than the Postscript, ie. doesn't execute JS, Flash bytecode and the third unnecessary crap I forgot about.

Why would a pdf need all those things anyway? Who thought that was a good idea?

Open the files in your web browser.

$ pdf2text .pdf output.txt

>>>Cringe
>>cringe
>cRINGE
cr1ng3

It's so pdf can phone home. It's used for drm and data collection about use. Among other things.

see also Adobe

brainlet here
why can pdf files possibly be harmful?

At least in those ways:
>can contain a couple of programming languages that could break out of their vm
>can contain a ton of data formats (3d models even) whose parsers/decoders are bugged and ripe for exploits
Combine those with the facts that Adobe and Foxit are known for deploying their own, half-broken shit and stuff like file manager preview execution which was also exploited in other contexts.

which pdf reader is safe from all that shit?

install qubes os

no idea
I'm using Sumatra, but its recent versions got bloated up with stuff like animuh reader capabilities, so expect exploits any minute.

what does an anime reader feature even do different than just opening a regular pdf file?

No idea. It might be just some reverse engineered container format, or something that allows to place translation texts. But I don't read chinese cartoons so that's just bare speculation.

Yikes

Secure in what way exactly? What are you reading?

Attached: 1541527802485.jpg (562x630, 92K)

You must be fucking shitting me. What is NOT pozzed in 2018?
And then how the fuck do you actually read PDF besides retarded methods like

Let's say I'm using docker, how would I go about reading a PDF securely?

>yikes
Ç®ìñgê