LINUX ON SAMSUNG PHONES IS OFFICALLY HERE!

linuxondex.com/

liliputing.com/2018/11/samsung-launches-linux-on-dex-beta-run-linux-on-an-android-phone-or-tablet.html

Full unadulterated Ubuntu linux (more coming soon) on Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (more coming soon) with 100% OFFICIAL SUPPORT from Samsung.

THIS IS IT BOYS!!! Finally a full fledged mobile linux solution that you can carry in your pocket and connect to an external monitor without issue!!! AHHHHHHHH!!! :D

Attached: saveImage.1e62ebb1.png (752x465, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.freedesktop.org/panfrost
a.co/d/0yPTCzJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What a mistake.

Pic related (full DE). "Linux on DeX allows you to enjoy a Linux environment any time any where"

Attached: runLinux.c8415361.png (638x314, 106K)

>more coming soon
Looks like I'm waiting, and will this be extended to their other s9 line? I'm sure people who own the s9 and s9+ would like this as well.

About freaking time

S9 and Note 9 have the same chipset, so I would expect for it to get it as well later in the beta.

Attached: what-i-can-do.3a7a185e.png (1280x550, 295K)

Remind me why I would want to do this again?

A PC ON YOUR PHONE

Wait, are you fucking seriousss

Can you do basic office work on this phone?????

Is this when linux hits the desktop market??

Imagine your current linux setup, but you can carry it anywhere you want and connect it to any monitor and it will be your full setup! And all samsung phones are encrypted by default + you have finger print readers + biometrics to lock it. Way more secure than your typical desktop setup.

And bro, think of the possibilities. Imagine getting an external GPU to work with your mobile device!!! :)

Attached: dex-for-tablet.5ac65522.png (1420x890, 247K)

So your PC become a storage mostly and the phone to "replace" it

>whats a umpc/netbook

Would it be good to put the phone on a wireless charging pad? I doubt the will be a power port and one for the monitor

Cant wait, still waiting on the one UI beta to drop, wanting to get away from touchjizz as soon as I can.
Convergence, what I'm waiting to see is something like what razor was showing off, phone that plugs into a laptop, making it run everything off the phone, using the phone as a touch pad (IDK how well that works), I'd really like to see something like that hit the mainstream.
I'm also hoping samsung releases binary drivers so that you can run any distro on your phone.

hey, you fucking dumbass, you piece of shit, you goddamn dumdum, UMPCs are a thing, you fucking zoomery doo

You could already do basic office work with their Dex. This will now let you use a FULL linux DE instead so you can do more powerful shit like compile code or complex tasks that your shitty android apps can't do. It's the FULL UBUNTU experience man.

Attached: samsung-dex-linux-galaxy.jpg (1300x650, 595K)

That sounds disgusting and a good way to pretend i'm back in early 2000s with performance.

That's what a laptop is for. Also I hope this post was sarcastic with all that biometric talk.

You've been able to do this for fucking years with applications like Linux Deploy. It's a nice idea but no one will use it because it's shit in practice.

Fuck off you Luddites. You dipshits don't understand what's even going on.

Attached: _81738062_risitas.jpg (1024x576, 36K)

terrible editing

The Dex is basically a USB-C dock with a little fan in it. It's open spec and there are cheap clones for it already. So you can power and view with one cable.

There are also monitors that power and display with one cable too.

Attached: 1362527350908.jpg (640x480, 55K)

So how does this work? is this a VM in android or what? Is it going to run like shit, like Windows on ARM?

>enjoy

Attached: 1540593966479.jpg (640x640, 79K)

Pointless. Id rather wait for sailfish or plasma.

You are so fucking utterly stupid it's not even funny. Don't come into this fucking thread without even reading you tech wanna be piece of shit. Linux on Dex is miles ahead of your shitty Linux Deploy.

Attached: 1402065566623.jpg (450x450, 43K)

Linuxtards being retards like always

its native, and 64-bit arm only

It runs directly on the hardware. No BS. They worked with Canonical/Ubuntu officially for this.

Attached: 2000px-Canonical_logo.svg.png (2000x265, 51K)

₩230 has been deposited into your account

None of those have corporate money like Samsung or the official relationship between Samsung and Ubuntu.

Attached: 1540120327826.jpg (720x843, 54K)

? its not Linux on baremetal
>Here is how it works. You need to install the Linux on DeX app on your device, once the app is installed a secure container will be created and you can add an Ubuntu Linux image on container to run it.

It's running as an Android app so you still have Android overhead and the risk of the OS choosing to slay the application due to memory constraints and other whims.

Better than nothing.

Nice argument faggit. Try running a fucking DE on Linux deploy.

Better than a shitty virtual machine thank God

Attached: large_2260_MA-DHKB6.png (500x371, 286K)

People have only been waiting since the fucking timeshare days for thinclient dockables like this.

These have existed for a long time but have never taken off for some reason.
I wonder if this will be different since everyone already owns a phone and other vendors may copy them.

>Try running a fucking DE on Linux deploy.
I have and I don't understand your point. It's a cool idea but utterly useless in practice. A notebook lets you work literally anywhere. This requires you to have a docking station set up for you.

Well, before this big announcement, there was talks of it rebooting into linux, not android, guess things have changed a little bit, though it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's the direction they're taking with it. The last time I head of linux on dex was 5 months ago? It doesn't surprise me either that they did this the same time one UI was announced.
>fun time
Anyone remember HP trying something like this right before the Microsoft phone died, used the phones Bluetooth to send a signal to the dummy laptop, apparently really cool.

Ok but the sell is that you can connect it to a monitor and keyboard. Seems hardly superior to mounting Linux from my N5 5 years ago and booting in to linux on baremetal? This seems very overblown to me. The only benefit would be not requiring a reboot.

What monitor is that?

Imagine being this fucking stupid guys.

Put a fucking dock at your house and your workplace you fucking cheap asses. I'd rather carry my fucking phone rather than a phone + a shitty netbook/laptop.

I swear to god you fucking basement dwelling pricks can't think out of the box even just once. This product is for working professionals not Linux ricing piss drinking weebs like you guys.

Attached: 1452127171215.png (398x293, 8K)

Thinking harder I suppose the 4g connectivity would be another benefit. But still- not seeing this as that exciting. Give me Debian without Android and a working Ofono service for the cellular functions and I will be happy.

This stupid post proves you don't have a real job.

I am a fucking senior engineer earning 135k which is on the low end. You can suck my left nut and maybe you'd be able to get even 1% on my skills (which are just mediocre BTW).

Attached: 1462143090734.jpg (419x480, 81K)

Why would I need anything more than termux?

t. basement dweller

FUCK YOU and read the thread.

Attached: 1489501902533.png (689x448, 62K)

Like I give a flying fuck shill. I dont want a Linux container I want the entire system as my primary system. This shit is no better than windows 10 Linux.

Guess what you fucking little mountain dew drinking little prick? You're not gonna get it. Bitch as much as you fucking want and it still won't happen.

The only device that comes close to what you want is the Purism Librem 5 and that shit will be outdated the day it comes to market.

Have fun fixing all the bugs. Oh what's that? You want it fixed? Boo hoo little Timmy

Attached: 1498791033016.jpg (316x202, 15K)

>jewbuntu

I'll pass on this.

Gentoo when? OpenSUSE when?

Nigger I can install sailfish 3 onto my phone whenever I please and I have 2.1 on my oneplus. This shit you're peddling is DOA.

Arch when?

that's not how software works, samsung won't support the s9 so it will have issues. just like pixel and other shit has the same chipset but android pie isn't supported so doesn't work

Then fucking do it and walk out of this thread you whiny little bitch. You're obviously here because you didn't install sailfish 3 into your phone because you know it's not up to par and you don't want to deal with the issues it has. And those phones don't have official support from the manufacturers.

So, do it and walk away. That's what I thought, you spineless cocksucker. Next time you walk into a tech thread, grow a fucking pair rather than spout a single world, Sailfish, without knowing just ehst the fuck it actually entails.

And fuck you for wasting my time. I'm monitoring this thread for helpful replies but I'm just getting useless asshats like you who think they know what they're talking about.

Attached: 1474554154326.gif (800x430, 564K)

dex is already decent enough for shitposting and watching videos

>buy note8 for $300
>buy phony dex for $30
>buy mediocre monitor for $50, keyboard moose for $15
>better than any $500 laptop

Yea it's unfortunate. Most likely they would want to keep it for the new S10 as a selling point.

Attached: 1481223905977.jpg (402x413, 56K)

Gemini PDA
>QWERTY keyboard
>Sailfish 3
>Debian Linux
>Ofono for cellular services
Missing Mali drivers for GPU acceleration.
>But then theirs this
gitlab.freedesktop.org/panfrost

Sure is shill in here. What botnet did they sneak into this app.

Continuing,
I worked out all of the issues on SFOS that were present. Both manufacturer and Sailfish devs officially support it.

They're probably barely even going to mention it. Samsung is promising sensor in display for edge to edge display and some new in-sensor ID shit. We'll probably get a new camera and the next gen Snapdragon based on the A76, which should be a decent bump up bringing them closer to Apple. Not to mention the Galaxy V or F or whatever that folding shit is. Dex is kinda low on the list of selling points.

Im waiting for the dalvik images to be put up but thanks for the word spaghetti shill.

Well, at least you can always LFS.

Do I need to install any additional codecs on the sailfishx port or does it just werk from the start. I can only think of one android app I need to work and thats just banking.

>No Gentoo
Trash

Imagine having this much free time. You obviously don't have a job which is the people Linux on Dex was designed for.

Have fun!

Attached: 1470864774344.png (246x200, 12K)

Cringe and shillpilled

The only issue I had with SFOS 3.0.0.5 on Gemini PDA was the USB tethering & screen orientation. Screen orientation is same fix as previous 2.x builds. Android app support requires AlienDalvik service which is only officially available on specific Jolla devices. However you can get AlienDalvik running with modified on other devices.

Now would be a good time for Samsung to come out with a laptop shell for their phones. Then again maybe that's where they're going with the foldable OLED displays.

The actually useful use case would be a smaller tablet or phablet that unfolds into a 5:4 display so people can use it as a larger table or dock it with a keyboard clamshell to create a laptop.

I do not have a use for Dex because it would only be useful for a tiny minority. I have a laptop and actual workstations because I am not poor.

>But I don't need to carry a laptop hur dur
Still carrying a dock
>Ill have a dock at my workstation and at home hur dur
And when you need to travel or work anywhere else you will be carrying the same shit

My phone already triple boots Android, Sailfish, and Debian on baremetal so where are you going with this because I see no real convincing arguments being made.

Attached: GPDA_.png (858x621, 636K)

>running a linux VM but on a botnet device
wow its litterally nothing.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: absolutely.jpg (480x451, 57K)

a.co/d/0yPTCzJ
$25 and the size of a pocket knife

good luck getting shit done on that micro keyboard

Imagine being this fucking autistic. Linux on Dex is made for professionals who don't want to waste time tinkering.

Attached: 1476713124169.png (1440x810, 1.36M)

Im waiting for the paid version for xa2 plus. Hopefully they dont take forever.

Piss poor argument.

I can connect my phone to a hub for video and USB keyboard + mouse in the same way this does.

And here we are full circle.
You can already boot Linux on a desktop over USB years ago as well.

>Linux professional
>Not able to mirror display with a single command
Pick one

>Way more secure than your typical desktop setup
How much do you get paid to shill? Is the baseband open source? Bootloader open? Firmware? Phones are the least secure consumerist gimmick there is.

Hes shilling a Ubuntu virtual box for sameshit phones of course it isn't secure. I bet you theres something malicious hidden in there.

>I bet you theres something malicious hidden in there
It's not "unadulterated" Ubuntu, but botnet, I have no doubt. Android is already Linux, if a manufacturer like Samsung actually wanted to offer Linux, all they need to do is offer an open-source ROM or at the very least not locked down. But they don't, and instead push this gimmick. They refuse to allow any freedom to the consumer whatsoever, they're terrified of it.

the point is that the phone and desktop share applications, not 2 operating systems sharing a hard drive

so you have no counter for "dock is bulky" no it's not "well haha anyways"

>With Dex you can connect your Linux VM that runs on top of Android with a USB-C adapter. Nothing your shitty Gemini PDA can d-
OH NO NO NO NO NO

Attached: gemini-pda-monitor.jpg (770x512, 106K)

you have a shitty phone that doubles as a shitty microlaptop? good for you; I have a top of the line phone that doubles as a mediocre desktop environment

I use my phone as a phone. I am not trying to impress anyone with a phone (that truly runs Linux on baremetal) with cellular service as a desktop replacement. I am just pointing out the obvious and that triggers you. The product your shilling is not impressive and can already be done.

>I'm the one upset
>I'm the one shilling

most people already have S8-Note9 galaxy phones, I'm suggesting they buy a $25 adapter instead of a $500 pda

>Zoomer technology
You faggots will buy any gimmicky piece of shit on the market.

Attached: 1539029956604.jpg (351x351, 26K)

>what is throttling?
>What is ram?
>What is cpu performance?
Do people unironically believe this could replace a laptop or computer?

The absolutely state of g

Most people also have laptops and desktops at their place of work too. The use case is a fringe audience.

Don't go buy a $500 Gemini. Use your already working computer.

right now my choices are a core2duo laptop that can only be used plugged into a wall or dock my note8

well the note 9 has 6-8gb of ram and im assuming the 845 is pretty decent. You can get the hub that has a fan in it to deal with throttling.

There isn't quote enough throughput in just USB-C to make something like this a really hardcore device, but it would be really nice if the dex pod itself or something like it could have those high speed interconnects, permanent storage devices, and etc.
At that point though, why not just mount the phone as storage?

>I cannot afford a decent laptop or even a laptop battery
>My work doesn't provide me a computer either
>Professional by the way

Attached: N8_US.png (1386x711, 222K)

If you think a low-voltage mobile ARM processor can hold a candle to workstation class x86 CPUs used by real professionals, then you are truly delusional. Literally and unironically kill yourself.

With 8gb of RAM these start becoming capable of theoretically replacing 70% of what I do on my x230 (forgetting I/O). The biggest concern I'd have would be how the phone handles heavy workloads. Performance degradation has been pretty terrible on ARM in the past when you start pushing them.

Even if it could, what kind of a consumerist retard would want to? Phones are botnet.

got the note7 when they still offered deals for signing phone contracts (paid $200 upfront, nothing more). when it shit the bed and got recalled, samsung gave me a free s7. when the note8 launched, they contacted me again and gave me $500 off the purchase of a note8, tmobile gave me $200 rebate for my s7, so the Note8 cost me $150 out of pocket

cry more bitch

quads of truth

Attached: 3eb.jpg (602x481, 42K)

One of Samsung's more recent Freesync enabled VA panels. Their model names are too atrocious to remember.

So user cannot afford a decent computer. Anons work does not provide a decent computer. Yet user needs his phone to provide a full desktop environment for work?
>user does not have a job

Is this an Android sandwich or something?
Linux on the top and bottom with Android in the middle?

i'll still be carrying around a keyboard, i aint typing on that shit.