Slackware advice thread

Anyone curious about Slackware? Those of us with a little knowledge can try to help out.

I personally am not an expert, I've been using it for about a year, so I consider myself a step above a novice. But if anyone has any questions, I'll do my best so assist. Maybe other Slackers can join in too.

Attached: slackware_linux.jpg (268x307, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/slackware/comments/937i5v/slackware_founder_the_slackware_store_has_been/
ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.2/patches/packages/?C=M;O=D
docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide#create_a_user_account
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/KERNEL.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Borderline abandonware and overrated af

I just installed slackware for the first time rather recently. It's pretty neat but having to compile software with slackbuilds is pretty shitty. Is there a better alternative?

>install slackware
>install bootloader
>whole process was pretty much automated
>pc doesnt boot
hmm...

Void Linux. Unironically.
You're in control and everything just works.

this. i got rid of slack after i failed the install (despite it being mostly automated) and was never happier

i've tried to install void on my laptop before but for some reason it always fails to even start
i think i'm just gonna go back to devuan i was happy with that

use grub, sbopkg

devuan + wdm + wmaker = instant pant cum

Show a screenshot

Just downloaded the iso, what i up to?

Same, just tried last night on bare metal, and about a month ago in a VM.

>in control
>can't remove runit and use openrc
based and cringepilled

Is there a minimal installer of slackware anywhere? I'm not one to be autistic about "NEED UNDER 50 PACKAGES OR BLOAT" but god damn the defaut options installed shit i'll never use

Just uncheck all the shit you don’t want during the installation

ya but im too lazy to do that

It literally takes too seconds. You scroll with the arrow keys and de-select what you don’t want with the space bar.

Attached: image.jpg (1400x1400, 466K)

install salix

kk i'll probs do that tommorow

Not really advice but I think writing a slackware package manager yourself is a good bash "exercise" Am i wrong?

it wont work on new hardware, get an Thinkpad made in 2010 or so

Fucken die you stupid cunt.

I've been slacking since 2004. You're probably like me & are astonished by how fucking retarded the Jow Forums community is.

Failing installs...I mean, for fucks sake. Fucken donkeys.

Attached: 1537561534306.jpg (686x461, 22K)

I've seen slackware shilled in a lot of places as better than debian.

I like debian because it has a shitload of packages and generally just werks.

Is there anything really im missing out on that slackware has?

Kek this is my experience running on new hardware. On older hardware it's worked great.

it's probably more about what debian depends on that slackware doesn't

I use Slackware since 14.0 and it works for me.
It doesn't restrict me in any way, I'm free to do whatever I want.
Using "current" right now.
If you set up your things once you can forgot about everything, nothing will break on it's own.
Current branch is rolling though so there are problems as everywhere.
From time to time something doesn't compile, but it's not because of Slackware,
but because of this particular program or mismatched shared libraries version.
Sometimes fix is as simple as creating symbolic link, sometimes needs recompiling more stuff.
Very very rarely you need to manually change something in Makefiles, but it happened few times.
Using it at least you should do is reading, you mustn't just compile something without looking at all at anything
(READMEs are very helpful, if there is no readme at least you have makefiles).
Most problematic packages are perl ones.
The least problematic ones are the ones written in rust, go and java(for obvious reasons).

Attached: 2018-11-10-125326_291x137_scrot.png (291x137, 12K)

Sbopkg is what you want. It's a slackbuilds browser that can automatically download compile and install programs. Also comes with sqg, which solves dependencies

ELILO?

sweet i'll try this out

Never happen to me. first install 2007

>not installing Slackware Current
it's as if you like bitching just for the sake of bitching
>after I failed the installer
ffs I bet you failed at life as well
great, another tard
is it Slackware Current? use Rufus and dd mode if on windows and enjoy
is this thread just full of fail? how the fuck can you faggots install arch and gentoo and not Slackware?
>replacing one of the best init systems with a worse one
I mean OpenRC isn't bad but it isn't as fast as runit
>install this spin with an old as Linux version and not up to date whatsoever
horrible advice, kys
ugggghh SLACKWARE CURRENT YOU DUMB CUNTS

what the fuck is your problem

bitching about a brilliant distro because you can't be bothered to actually learn how to install the thing, that's my fucking problem you utter melt

Great distro but having to compile everything from slackbuild takes too much time. And I don't see relevant advantages over Debian/Devuan. Plus the libraries are somewhat too old for a lot of stuff now.

What are you talking about.
I know how to install it.

You're legitimately giving Slackware users a bad rap. Stfu.

which faggot were you that I responded to?

That's me.

slackware is fine it's just a pain to hook up the floppy drive and keep a supply of blank disks.

did you even try Current?
>floppy discs
how fucking old are you?

Attached: file_0.png (557x510, 275K)

I used Slackware for about a year or two.

For some reason I had an enormous problem trying to install Docker for my work, and since I didn't had the time to look ways to fix it I just installed Ubuntu and moved on with life.

I tried to install Void however their main dev was missing at the time and I wasn't really needing any more troubles.

Attached: 1529180174009.jpg (975x1210, 349K)

Used it for a total of 1.5 years, some tips.

>Always doa FULL install unless you really understand what you're doing
>Use -current if you want latest software and if you have new hardware.
>Sbotools over sbopkg
>Search third party repositiories like AlienBob for binary packages if you have shit hardware like me and can't feasibly compile every package and its dependencies
>Dont remove any packages unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
>after you're done installing packages and have setup your system, run the builtin package manager (slackpkg) and make a template
>backup the template so you can easily reinstall your system with all its packages should something happen or you want to transfer the install to a new machine
>sign up on linuxquestions.org and the lurk Slackware subforum

>4gb+ install to install useless utilities recommended
>unironically recommends current so you can pour through your configs, break packages and spend a weekend searching through linuxquestions for a fix
>kernel 4.14

You probably just run slack in a vm anyways.

bare metal like a real man
>kernel 4.14
check again dipshit

>it's void's fault I am unable to prepare a Linux CD/USB drive image

Current is not designed for production use. Keep shifting the goalposts, faggot.

Bet you have sbopkg installed too, just to get your shit box to run. lol

>not designed for production
>production
its cute when brainlets like you try to speak in intelligent vernacular, keep trying champ you'll get there some day

Attached: repent_sinner_point.webm (426x240, 2.66M)

>You're probably like me & are astonished by how fucking retarded the Jow Forums community is.

Yes, this thread didn't go how I intended, I thought there may be some useful advice imparted but no, Jow Forums is a bunch of girls, handbags flying everywhere. It's shameful.

>I like debian because it has a shitload of packages and generally just werks.

I used to be on Debian but I have always been fascinated by Slackware, which is why I moved over.

>Is there anything really im missing out on that slackware has?

The main three things for me are

1. No systemd - which you may or may not care about, but I do find Slackware to be more stable than Debian 9. For instance, sometimes Debian would fail to boot because systemd would hang on loading the graphics drivers, it's not a problem I've had at all with Slackware and SysV.

2. You lean a lot more about Linux and your system with Slackware.

3. The community is excellent.

>No refutal

Boy you sure got me. See kids, this is how you utterly destroy a slackfaggot fan fuckboi. Pray that alienbob doesn't quit his job like Pat. You'll be switching to gentoo in no time.

>refutal
>gentoo fanboi
and you say I give Slackware fans a bad rep, hownare you able to put on pants?

Not really, other than there might be a little more pain if you try to not go for the full install and find out later that you need it. But then, using sbopkg to fill in your dependancies is a help like the other user said.

I like how vanilla it is, so you can compile almost anything from source and not have to wait for a specific .deb or .rpm to come out.

Not who you're replying to, but Slackwares packages are piss easy to build, and considering Slackwares release cycle, namely not having one, you can be sure that there are plenty of capable people that would have no problem running it. The question is why are you so upsett over Slackware?

>3. The community is excellent
I bet all 20 Slackware users are great guys.

I'm not. I've been using Slackware since 2000 and also posted The other dude is just an autist who thinks his basement dwelling smugbox is flawless. Look how he treats other anons (muh sekrit club). Normal people can accept that every distro has its faults and move on.

I cut my teeth on slackware linux. I feel that I was lucky to have picked that out in the store, because of the cool name. Eventually I swapped into freebsd, and eventually whatever I wound up inheriting at work. Slackware is (or was? I haven't used it in ages) great. The mindset of the distro was very comfortable. The switch to bsd was pretty much seamless. Felt like they shared a lot in common.

Attached: 1540129071972.jpg (310x368, 22K)

lol. Seems like the writing is on the wall since Patrick came out saying he can't afford his bills. I haven't really followed up since that announcement.

>reddit spacing
>thinking ANY thread in Jow Forums of all fucking places is free from shitposting
>having your knickers in a twist this hard
oh ffs go back and fucking stay there redditard, you people are no fun cancerous fuckwits

I used Slackware during its golden years, 2004-2007. At that time even though Slackware didn't have a package manager other distros' package managers were not mature and often had problems. If you used a distro with a package manager back then, chances are you still compiled a lot of software. Slackware offered BSD stability and I knew a guy who ran Slackware on all his servers, he swore by it. But as time moved on other distros became more polished, improved their package managers, offered more than one choice of DE, you could install GRUB/2, Slackware was on LILO only (are they still?). Basically the Linux world moved forward while Slackware stayed behind, claiming its traditionalism and resistance to change were an advantage. And now no one uses Slackware because there isn't anything it does better than other distros.

Time to spend some dosh on slackware paraphernalia it seems.

Last I heard, the slackware store was fucking him over, too.

If you want to help, search out his direct pay method. Can't remember what system it was through off-hand.

Gonna mail him currency if I have too. Where are you getting this information from? I'll look for it but I need a place to start.

reddit.com/r/slackware/comments/937i5v/slackware_founder_the_slackware_store_has_been/

>>Always doa FULL install unless you really understand what you're doing
If you are a Jow Forums tard you don't so do a full install

>abandonware
still getting updated
ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.2/patches/packages/?C=M;O=D

Hope you did your part Jow Forumsentleman. inb4 two bucks. I make a little under $300/month.

Thanks.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-10 PayPal Send Payments.png (500x262, 5K)

>I've not been paid any money by them in two years. That was upon the 14.2 release (and followed another long period of time with no income). The 14.2 release generated nearly $100K in revenue. The store gave me $15K, and later said that I was "overpaid".

>When I agreed to set up the store, it was structured as a company where they owned 60%, and my wife and I owned 40%. I had not yet escaped California and would have quickly gone broke there with a house underwater had I not taken the deal. And 60% seemed fair, since the idea was that the company would be providing health insurance, paying for the production of the goods, and handling shipping and related customer service.

Dude literally cucked himself out to a company.
>they handle manufacture and distribution
Like it's hard. What an idiot.

>The switch to bsd was pretty much seamless.

I've looked at the installer, it looks pretty much identical to the Slackware installer.

Quality over quantity, friend. It's the most knowledgeable, professional and educated Linux community I've come across.

Okay how about I contribute an actual question to for the thread.

So I've installed slackware and I've created my user account and none of the commandline programs installed are available to the user, I have to be root to run any program at all.

It seems that the programs aren't even available under userspace because when I try it says "command not found" instead of throwing a permission error.

There was also no .bashrc generated and if I try to use my own bashrc to export sbin to the user's $PATH nothing seems to happen.

This is really annoying. How can I fix this?

First install , got encryption working without any boot problems.
Really like the way sware does something.

>as they say , slackware doesnt teach you ubuntu, debian, .... it does teach you linux.

It seems you haven't added yourself to the right groups. Read this:

docs.slackware.com/slackware:beginners_guide#create_a_user_account

No, no .bashrc is generated because Slackware won't assume you want one. Not everyone does. You have to create one yourself. Slackware won't automate shit like that because it won't make those kinds of decisions for you. It's about user control.

Good work.

Nice to see one of two serious posters here.

Did you add userself to groups? When you use

# useradd
It tells you to use the UP arrow key if you want to use the default groups. If you just clicked enter it wont add you to any groups, whereas if u use the up arrow key it will list a bunch of groups, and you click enter again. Run useradd again and read the prompts carefully this time.

I didn't create the account, the useradd script that that exact article on the wiki suggests you use did.

I fixed the problem by adding sbin to the default path in /etc/profile.

I'm pretty ambivalent with slack because of stupid stuff like this. The solutions provided by the distro itself don't work or seem to be geared towards getting the thing to run on a toaster.

It's billed as "most unix like" but so far to me "most unix like" seems to mean manually dealing with annoying niggly little things. Which is fine if you need to fine tune it to running on your toaster from the '20s but anything more modern I don't really see the appeal.

yes I read the prompts and I understood them and I was added to all the groups and others I manually specified (since it wasn't going to add me to wheel)

this isn't my first rodeo.

>useradd

I mean adduser, I didn't manually create the user.

>It's billed as "most unix like" but so far to me "most unix like" seems to mean manually dealing with annoying niggly little things.

You're learning about processes which a lot of the more 'modernised' Linux OSs automate for you. What that means is that you have less control of your OS and you don't understand what you're working with.

Slack is not an easy ride. There is a LOT of learning to be done. But that's the point. If you care enough, you'll continue, and you'll learn a lot about Linux and your computer. If you don't care, carry on with your more automated Linux OS.

But, if you continue, and learn hard, the learning curve will eventually level out and you'll know a shitload about your computer, Linux, and have massively transferable skills to pretty much any other Linux distro or BSD.

Are CRUX users welcome?

>>reddit spacing

ease of reading easily trumps your "our s3kret club only uses single spacing"

and just because it will fucking trigger you further, have a :)

Yeah I hear that a lot but coming from things like Void, devuan netinstall, a bunch of other distrohopping and a bit of arch I don't find I'm "learning" too much more than I already was and am with those distros. (particularly void)

Just because I'm not having to manually do things like configure the initrams, or add every conceivable group to the user account doesn't mean I don't understand how the system works.

It's more quality of life than anything else. People inclined will learn, you don't have to be forced to walk up hills both ways to be able to understand how something works (especially since other linux systems don't bar you from actually doing anything you want to do manually, especially if they aren't using systemd)

I see what you're saying but sacrificing ease of use and quality of life for an "authentic" experience seems backward.

how to update Slackware kernel:
use the automated kernel update named slackpkg and its updates

how to not update slackware kernel:
compile it yourself from source taken from latest kernel sources
if you do it yourself, you end up with a broken system

also, slackware kernel cannot be updated without internet connection, it just wont work if you load updated file from usb attached drive

>the absolute state of slacktrash

I was about to disagree, but compiling my own kernel has been a harsh experience. But anyway, if you take the precautions to has a spare USB with a live distro just in case there is no reason of not doing it if you want to.

The only caveat is the bad documentation. Like, you have to try and try to see how far you can go.

Related, here is a proper guide on compiling your own kernel github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/KERNEL.md

friendly reminder to use the superior 'make nconfig' to configure your kernel.

>nconfig
Haven't seen that one in action but according to documentation is only aesthetically different than menuconfig.

one of many useless linuxes

I switched to Slackware for my webserver after opensuse automagic went and shat itself. I like the hands on way of doing things with Slackware and I've learned a lot by it.

>be steady system for aeons
>give your userbase the same experience they are used to since their very first try when linux distros was not just handholding like wangblows
>some jerkoff newfag who has know it all impressions cums over this because it's not like every other distro out there
I'd say all your dick hopping made you a colossal faggot, consider seppuku

Attached: 1541005577978.jpg (679x908, 61K)

>know it all impressions

Forgive me for developing my own tastes and preferences while using my own machine.

Yeah, it gave the same experience since the 90s. It's stuck in the past.

I didn't even "cum all over it" I fully acknowledge that it has it's uses and I'm positive it'll provide a stable system after you jack off all the config files just the right way.

The only faggot I see here is you and you faggoty fanboyism over linux distros.

This is the first distro I ever tried, it was on the cover of PC Format (now defunct) around 2001/2002. I remember how excited I was to get home and try it out and of course the disc was faulty so got a replacement.

In the end I never got a working install, being inexperienced (and quite scared) at the whole layout, I remember how out of my comfort zone I felt after a life of DOS and Windows.

Just thought I would share that, I'm sure everyone remembers there first time.

>use the automated kernel update named slackpkg and its updates

Actually this is not the recommended way. The recommended way is to switch to a generic kernel and manually install the six kernel packages.

I feel you. It took me several goes to get a working install.

This thread divides people into two halves, the methodical types who like to learn and the types who don't have the time to learn a distro like this, or want to. Both camps are perfectly valid. The only problem in this thread is coming from those who are imparting inaccurate advice, but this is Jow Forums, it's to be expected.

>I used Slackware during its golden years, 2004-2007.

Why were these it's "golden years"?

Because at that time it was pretty much on-par with other distributions and even had the edge when it came to stability (after initial configuration of course) and other things. But as time moved on the fact that you had to spend a day or two making it work for your particular computer became less endearing and "a Linux thing" and more of an annoyance, especially cause other distros were becoming "just works".

I think this is due only a small team maintaining Slackware. Most of the packages were maintained by alien BOB, while system was done by Patrick. Hard to keep up with companies like Debian, Canonical, Red Hat, etc. when you're tiny and poorly funded.

I enjoyed using Slackware and I would like to use it now, but as I said, I don't see any benefits of using Slackware over Gentoo or Void.

Nice answer, thank you. Either way you look at it, it's good that Slackware is often put in the same camp as Gentoo. Void is an interesting up-and-coming release.

For what it's worth, I use Void.

You mean, "I use Void, btw"

bump

Attached: CRUX.png (726x366, 9K)