Since usb-c is on phones now, whats stopping one from just buying a hub, connecting a monitor...

Since usb-c is on phones now, whats stopping one from just buying a hub, connecting a monitor, kb/m to it and using their phone as a desktop?

Attached: 41hb-QLmkvL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-Quadro-K1200-VCQK1200DP-PB/dp/B00UPHAT2C/
wiki.osdev.org/Universal_Serial_Bus
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Device support.

because it's usb 2.0 in a c form rather than a usb 3.1 in a c form

retards, kb+m can be bluetooth

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-09-21-46-19(1).jpg (720x1138, 299K)

neat, but i have 37 usb keyboards and mice laying around and 0 bluetooth.
what do?

You're gonna have to use these wonky bois.

Attached: 123.png (820x460, 58K)

Don't quote me on this but you may be able to use a thinner third party usb-c hub too.

>what was/is usb2.0 otg
i want the retarded normies polluting this board with stupid threads to fucking die
kys, u stupid motherfucker

I'll keep posting threads as long as I want and you can continue to stay mad about it

Yes, but video output over USB isn't a given.

what...

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-09-22-01-02(1).jpg (720x971, 118K)

See

If the adapter converts usb-c to hdmi why would device support be a problem? Wouldn't you just need a screen with hdmi input?

Basically you can never know what that usb-c port can do without looking in the manual of the device. And even then it is not guaranteed it will work.
It could support multiple Displayport channels driving a 5k display, have PCI-E capabilities, maybe HDMI, or just be a dumb 2.0 with new packaging.

The connector was a mistake. There should have been color codings and for more serious applications a mechanical locking mechanism.

>mechanical locking mechanism.
That's what made micro usb prone to connector flexing and bending afaik. Bringing that back would be a mistake.

Because you need fucking driver support, at least, you absolute brainlet.

Not him but that makes absolutely no sense, hdmi output doesn't need "driver support" just a fucking hdmi connector. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm using dex on a 2012 tv with just the usb-c to hdmi adapter.

Not for mobile phones.
I think more like this:
amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-Quadro-K1200-VCQK1200DP-PB/dp/B00UPHAT2C/

A clip that locks the connector in place.

Theoretically you could build a display that is powered directly by a special USB-C GPU and gets it's picture over the same cable.

Attached: 4118I3MPVxL.jpg (500x500, 30K)

Why the FUCK would you want to use a shitty low-voltage ARM CPU on a desktop?

Yeah, but a USB-C port is not an HDMI out.

Minus monitor support, you can already do this. Android has supported external keyboards and mice since the early days.
Gaymer kids have been doing this is competitive mobile games to get an edge over others using touch controls.

You can even get USB micro to HDMI connectors currently, the only problem is you need specific Android version (usually above 5 or 6, so most devices are fine there) and there are device compatibility lists (possibly USB-OTG being the core requirement).

Yeah, it's possible your USB-C (or micro) phone can do video out to HDMI (or handle a hub like in OP), but it's also possible it can't.
It's not guaranteed just because there is a certain shape port on the device.

Not all USB-C phones support video output. My Moto X4 doesn't.

Not him either, but I think the thinking comes from 2 things.
1. When micro-usb had the chance of HDMI out, there were issues where the hardware would need to implement the optional pin to support video. I think there were two standards for this. One used by Samsung, and one used by Google's Nexus line, some LG phones, and select few others. Both of which were discontinued with the release of Chromecast.
2. Laptops and computers that have type-C typically have it as a usb 3.1gen 1/2 or thunderbolt. Phones on the other hand, can range from usb 2 to usb 3.1 which means it's up to the phone manufacturers again to wire the stupid thing to support the features it can have.

I could be wrong with all this though...

Yeah, and that's for direct video out. Another option is for the dongle to have a video controller in it and the USB bus to just act as a transport bus. But that relies on the phone having host support for the USB port (OTG) and drivers for the video controller in the dongle.

Driver support is needed at the kernel level. Most smartphone makers don't include the necessary drivers because reasons (users don't care, it saves disk space, manufacturers are braindead pennypinchers, etc.). You can add the necessary modules to your kernel if you're handy enough, but sometimes weird hardware problems come up since these phones are not at all designed to be fucked with.

wiki.osdev.org/Universal_Serial_Bus
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android

Attached: 3d-render-penguin-dressed-cowboy-450w-195266204.jpg (450x470, 19K)

>ITT: Tripfag gets destroyed
I knew I blocked your tripcode for a reason. Fucking dumbass faggot.