/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ps55.jpg (1219x1725, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:W520
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gycOoFN4ZjU9CBfo8F6GNOJcvdLoO2BcYez12eRtbOE/edit#gid=0
libreboot.org/docs/install/x200_external.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw computrace is permanently enabled

Attached: 11334324666453.png (301x307, 157K)

T430 or T420?

T430

Is there really that big a difference between the CPUs?

So I fell for the thinkpad meme as hard as I can I think. I got an x201, flashed custom firmware to remove whitelist, swapped the networking card, threw an ssd into it, and gave it 16gb ram. Anything else besides foss distro?

programming socks and genital mutilation

post ur freedumbpads

Attached: IMG_0717.jpg (4032x3024, 1.44M)

Eu bros, where do you get cheap thinkpads? There aren't many uk offers on ebay and shipping + taxes on stuff from us is expensive.

>I got an x201
That's all? You're just getting started

Attached: AB488577-8389-4C0A-820F-AA0FBD43C8D7.jpg (4032x3024, 2.47M)

This is way too new.

Too thin

>white everywhere
>wireless mouse
>adobe reader
>win10
go home sweden

>13" screen
>decent battery
>aestheticc
>ips screen
>good with loonix (wifi card etc)

What do I choose?

Is it worth buying a thinkpad if you are not an IT professional, and don't know shit about modifying hardware? You just want a hardy, portable, and enduring workstation that won't protest when you try to use linux to customize your desktop on it?

And maybe gradually delve deeper into software during the years? Lot of typing is also going to be involved.

Sure thing.
>Lot of typing is also going to be involved.
Consider the models with the old keyboard style, too

I need something with good battery I'll be using it for broswing the interwebs and writing what would be the best thinkpad to chose

I can get a t440 with 8 gigs of ram a 4300u and a 500gb hd I'll probably swap out for an ssd for 215 usd shipping etc included is it worth?

Guys, i bought a T450s for 500 bucks as i was drunk. Can i get out of this shit? In the discreption ist nothing about that its withoud windows. Or should i keep it ( i need thinkpad but i dont wanted one for 500)

Quad core w/ SMT / HT
~250GB SSD or better, preferably no storage so can add own storage
8GB RAM or better
SD card reader
DVD drive, bluray preferable but not necessary
USB 3.0, preferably multiple (~2 ports)
12-15 inch screen, something around 13"
Preferably no webcam or mic
No keyboard backlighting, or toggleable

What's a good laptop with all, or most of this

Is the X201 better than the X220?

Discrete or integrated intel graphics? Old keyboard or not, excepted battery life? Price range? A W520/30 has all that and more, while a T520/30 won't have a quad core by default and only x30 has usb 3.0.

T480?

Discrete so that hardware acceleration would be slightly better.
No real preference on the keyboard.
Will be within range of a power outlet while out at uni, so it should be fine regardless, but even 2-3 hours should be fine for battery life.
I don't particularly have an expected price range, so all I can really say is on the cheaper side, if possible.
With the X30 USB 3.0 thing, is that also applicable for the W530 > 520?

No. X220 is best of the x breed.

You can get them from companies that change them every 2-3 years. You have to find those companies tho

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:W520
Nope. W520 has 2 USB 3.0, plus 1 2.0 always powered and one 2.0+esata. It's a great machine, but if you want more mobility it's not perfect.

Forgot to say, I use it daily around and don't have problems with it. The battery has some wear but still carries 3 hours, sometimes 4 on light load and almost max brightness. The 2000M is alright for daily usage but Optimus can be a pain in the ass when you're using external monitors, mind this. For the rest, you can get one for a very decent price. Also, it's pretty chill compared to the T equivalents. Browse thinkwiki and check your local prices on ebay.

Mobility should be fine. I'm not a weak lad, and most travel with it will be in a laptop bag that I'm used to carrying. I had the choice of either physical or digital copies of the books I need, and since I've not got a laptop, I had to choose physical, so it should be comparable, weight-wise.
So is there much reason to go for the 530 > 520? It seems like slightly better graphics and processor, but I'm not too sure how much better that would really be for a laptop.
Unironically have never owned a laptop before.

T480s

The old keyboard is much better than the new island, chiclet type, but you can put the old one in the 530 without too many problems. Performance wise there isn't that much difference (look up the cpu model of what you're buying and compare it ot the other options), but it's still a year newer and if you value them they have some weight in your decision.
>Unironically have never owned a laptop before.
You're in for good stuff soon.

If I have a friend in China, can I get the x210 for cheap?

Brainlet here, how risky is it to attempt corebooting a thinkpad?

Ubuntu or Windows on T450?
Waht are the pros and cons?

How do I remove a cat from a Thinkpad

Attached: IMG_20181110_144954.jpg (2976x3968, 1.64M)

scary stickers

Going into cs, what's the best thinkpad laptop that I can use under 200$ for programming

Get a second thinkpad to use as a decoy

the best t or x you can get

Any x120e users? If so, is it an ok netbook like thinkpad?

I'm probably going to buy a t440p, but I don't need a disc drive.
Is there anything else that I could put in that slot?

Why don't you just buy an x230 and install the x220 kb?

performance is ok but the case is shit, it willbreak even if you take care of it

because it does not work 100%

I think it does when you flash its firmware. But afaik if you don't the only problems that you get is wrong fn symbols on the keys, e.g. thinklight is printed on some f-key and not on space.

planning y730 for gaming

Does anyone have experience with eBay's squaretrade warranty? I normally don't go for add on warranties, but I'm considering getting one on the replacement keyboard that I need since I already got one that ended up failing after 90 days.

>the only problems that you get is wrong fn symbols on the keys, e.g. thinklight is printed on some f-key and not on space.
doesn't sound like 100% to me. why even bother with the x230? the x220 is just as fast, all you get is usb 3.0, who even needs that. there's the i7 x220 with the non-native usb 3.0, good if you really really need usb 3.0. the bios is also more locked down on the x230

shit keyboard but easy to clean and maintain. good cooling.

Goona teardown the t61 stinkpad. We’ll see how much damage the cigarette smoke has done.

I mostly use mine for browsing and I will say it does a fine job. Arch worked right out of the box so it's Linux friendly. It's pretty good for typing imo.
Only "problem" is that it's not super portable if you compare it to some new meme laptops that weight 10g.

t. T420 owner.

Thinking about either a T420 or a T520. I have a buddy at school with a W520, he says he gets about 6 hours of battery life, and it's not unmanageably heavy. My only problem is that, while I don't need the latest and greatest, I'd at least like some Vulkan support, and the NVS4000M doesn't support it. I could coreboot it and slot in an IB CPU instead, since HD4000 GPUs support it. Is it worth actively avoiding the nvidia ones on ebay? Does Coreboot have a noticeable affect on battery life that would make the whole thing moot?

I was thinking about other laptops. Thinkpads are cursed, but unfortunately, other laptops are even more cursed.

My T420 is acting weird. When it boots, sometimes nothing displays on the screen unless I move it a bit.
Anyone had a simliar issue?

Update: the area by the fan and HS is disgusting but the rest of the mobo looks alright.
Pic related is the mobo frame near the fan

Attached: 2702C7A5-B508-4E78-B974-0B55A1F59A3D.jpg (3024x3024, 1.97M)

second drive caddy

ew

Attached: ergh.png (460x535, 308K)

I think i am going to buy a ThinkPad A485 with a the Ryzen 7. Should i take it with the touchscreen ?

what about y530?

x230 with 9-cell

Hi /tpg/, it's been a while: I've been using my T430 for over a year and I quite love it.
So my friend's old Asus is dying and he asked me to find him a new laptop.
His budget is €350, he just needs an ssd, 8 gigs of ram and a sturdy machine that lasts at least 5 years. Main use is for computer science in uni.
Since he doesn't really care about screen quality I thought a ThinkPad would be a good choice. What do you think he should buy?

I'm tempted to tell him to buy a t430, but I'm afraid it's getting a bit too old.

Attached: IMG-20181106-WA0001.jpg (4032x2016, 486K)

A T430 with a quad core is still competitive with modern machines. It'll last.

Is paying 190 usd with shipping and tax for a x230 with 4 gigs of ram 250 hdd(will throw in ram and a ssd) and an i5-3320m way too much? I live in eastern europe this is so far the best I could find around here

I'm speaking from an American perspective here, so take my word with a grain of salt but it does not seem like too bad of a price. I got one that was similarly speced to yours (everything the same except mine came with a 128gb SSD) for roughly $180. Mine wasn't in the best condition either, and I could've probably done better, but I needed a laptop for school at the time. I know that prices in Yurop are a bit higher, so I would say to get it unless you have some time or think the deal is sketchy for whatever reason.

Thanks, I'm not in a huge hurry, jewrope is more expensive especially around here for whatever reason, I'll look around.

hello fellow t480s bro, what's up with the windows scaling, you using it at 200%?

Both use the same socket, T420 can use the same CPU as T430 (or even W530) with a modded BIOS or coreboot. T430 has USB 3.0, but you can get cheap expresscard adapters that don't protrude out, so it doesn't matter as well. T430 can use a T420 keyboard, so it's not really a difference. I'd say you should pick whichever one happens to be cheaper at the moment.

Question for trannyboot-T60 users: assuming ultra-minimal software like void linux with bspwm or something, how fast is it as opposed to say a T420s?

I have both.
For general use, web browsing, multimedia and shit, office, programming its pretty much the same.
I upgraded the T60 screen with 1600x1200 IPS, and with CCFL backlight i like it much more than my T420 900p LED screen.
But T420 LCD isnt that bad, way better option than 768, avoid that screen.

Battery life is shit on both.

My T420 has major coil whine while T60 is okay. Fans are not loud on any of them even after all these years.

On both i have Arch Linux with XFCE, i remeber that KDE was a little bit too bloated for T60 and lagged a bit, but XFCE runs nice.
Web browsing on Chrome with approx 10 tabs is great on both, pretty much the same.

I like the T420 more because its way more sturdy, also has a way better trackpad. T60 is too plasticky, Lenovo did a really god job with T420 regarding palm rest and plastics, T60 has a bit of flex on palm rest but T420 is rock solid everywhere.

Also speakers are shit on T420, T60 is better.

Graphics performance is major difference, but in general use or programming it doesnt matter anyways.
But on T420 i can do CAD work comfortably, even though AutoCAD has no support for HD3000 but there is a bypass.
On T60 any modern CAD work or graphics editing is literally hell.
But T60 is obsolete nowdays, T420 with Ivy Bridge quadcore HD4000 and 16gb of ram is a way to go.

Also both of the machines have the same SSD.

T420s would still feel faster with the same setup. Core 2 Duo is adequate for things like web browsing (but some heavy sites might be sluggish even with firefox) and relatively light productive work. The only reason you'd want to use such an old thinkpad would be to get it to be fully free, and in that case I'd still recommend xx00 series, as you will get newer and faster CPUs.

Which one of these should I buy brahs?

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gycOoFN4ZjU9CBfo8F6GNOJcvdLoO2BcYez12eRtbOE/edit#gid=0

T440p. You can quad-core it, put the trackpad from the T450 on it, and a 1080p panel.

Which should I get an x240 with i7 or an x431s with an i5. Which has longer battery life?

What is best OS for a dusty old x220?

arch

X230 TN worth it for sub $170?

gentoo

opensuse

Hello frens, I'm thinking of buying a x200 and making it a my libreboot model. Are there any guides or tutorials on how to do this yourself?

You mean T431s?
If battery life is your concern get whatever with a removable battery and buy a 6 cell battery.

TempleOS

X1 Carbon 3.Gen mint condition for 300 Yurobucks. Worth it?

>tfw you libreboot/coreboot to remove it

Attached: 1533959302650.png (112x112, 12K)

libreboot.org/docs/install/x200_external.html
instead of beaglebone black you can also use raspberry pi

Can you make x220 or x230 botnet free?
Or does it have to be older one of those librebootable models?

Open the lid

Absolutely disgusting

You can coreboot both X220/X230, which neuters the Intel management engine, but it does not completely remove it like you can with libreboot on the older models like X200/T400

$72 USD Classic Thinkpad USB Keyboard
vs
$56 USD Compact Thinkpad Usb Keyboard

Which one and why?

Attached: classic vs compact.png (993x593, 413K)

Because the x230 doesn't have a modern quad-core processor.

Will add that the heatsink/fan unit basically bled nicotine when I gave it a good douse of isopropyl. Tar was seeping from between the thermal tape and the HS itself. Cleaned the HS grills with a toothbrush. The alcohol destroyed any oil the fan had so now I gotta lube that too.
It’s a long process but she’s looking better lads

desu they look cute af, and regardless of what Jow Forums says the processor is even more efficient, no need of 37W bullshit

classic because of the layout. But the compact feels better desu

godspeed user

I have the Bluetooth version of the compact. Great little keyboard. Feels good man

Any of you anons have experience installing Debian on an x220?
The wireless module ain't working for me and manually installing iwlwifi is giving me no dice.

there is a physical wifi switch on x220, you sure it isn't flipped by accident?

I got a T430 after my old t420 got fucked up when I got liquid in it through the bottom, I installed void linux on the bitch today and the damn touchpad doesn't work, anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this? It works until I start the X server at which point it stops responding

Im pretty sure I fried a backlight fuse considering I forgot to unplug the machine an all and instinctually unplugged the LCD and all but besides that its bios locked. would the brainlets solution be new mobo?