Hey Jow Forums, please redsuppository me on discord alternatives. I'm looking at riot.im and signal...

Hey Jow Forums, please redsuppository me on discord alternatives. I'm looking at riot.im and signal, which both sound nice on their blurbs but why should i trust them over discord? Specifically for using their hosted servers - i can't self-host.

Any technical reason to choose one over the other?
Any privacy concerns?
Did Jow Forums meme me and i should trust discord?

Attached: discord-logo.png (1013x449, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

open.rocket.chat/home
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Enjoy the clusterfuck of key verification on riot

Just convince people to use xmpp for chat, it's like email but as an instant messenger. You can choose your provider and also self host which makes it the most trustworthy modern messenger

Attached: Xmpp.png (1200x1234, 86K)

This person is a paid shill. Pay no attention to them

This person is an unpaid proprietary shill. Everybody should know that a protocol and not a service or product like XMPP is unable to pay for shills. Pay no attention to proprietary shills, they just want your data shekels.

Attached: no u.jpg (640x454, 30K)

We self-host a non-federated Matrix server at work for internal chat and it's pretty nice

Isn't matrix just a protocol like IRC? Reading about riot made it sound like it was using the "matrix protocol" so i figured there was no 'matrix server'.

riot (matrix synapse):
>federated
>has no notifications in android when app is closed
>has lackluster server side performance
>remember to letsencrypt your certificate faggot
>has end to end quantum resistant encryption from my understanding (messages are encrypted so that they're decoded in a chain)
>has end to end holepunching voip with your server as a bouncer
>auditable codebase

signal:
>hosted by someone else
>voip
>commercial
>nicer app imho and notifications when app is closed
>auditable(?)

discord:
>hosted by a company which has previously had shit for abusing their trust with devices
>works with the splc to remove hate speech
>proprietary and they're not cool with you running a 3rd party client and will ban your ass if they realise
>has meme emotes
>has pretty good ux
>auditable with local code if you don't mind grokking hundreds of thousands of lines of obsfucated javascript and trusting the binary package of chromium headless

honestly, functionally, unlike what said riot (matrix protocol) and xmpp (jabber) are functionally the same (except xmpp does not do voip at the protocol level). i wouldn't trust anything without an auditable codebase (for one) and without end to end encryption/option to host your own servers if you are concerned with your privacy. but that's just me. discord's convenience in a lot of cases and the sheer number of people using it can outweigh the reasons why you might consider something else. it's more important to ask yourself why you'd consider something because ultimately it's your chat partner's call because they're gonna be the one who has to get stuffed to use a specific service.

google captcha:
>please try again
8 TIMES

Rocketchat is good for just hosting a server, if you know what you're doing. You need to host it on your Linux server, it's not just click a button and make it like on discord. There is also no universal friendlist outside of your server, so people register for your server and you talk with them only there. It's extremely customizable, again only if you know what you're doing. There's a custom CSS page in the settings where you can do just about anything from changing the background picture to making avatars bigger or circle. You won't find other peoples meme servers like you do on discord though, the target audience is software devs and the like. But if you just want to have your own server to invite people to it's great.

IRC OR NOTHING, NIGGER

Just use IRC.
It has worked since the 90's, it isn't going anywhere.
Ever.

>implying anyone who fiddled with xmpp has enough money to pay shills on an anonymous Siberian basket weaving forum

IRC doesn't have voice.

OP here, I do miss IRC but it's all but dead apart from freenode now. Besides, i need something normie friendly.

xmpp and rocketchat sound good but a lot of work setting up user lists etc, not very normie friendly.

based summary, thanks. good point re discord is kind of auditable, i forgot it's an electron app. Maybe i should look for a hacked discord with some of the bullshit like system-wide process scanning removed instead of trying to migrate other people to riot or signal.

For reference i want privacy/encryption as a right, it's not strictly necessary (i'm not doing anything sensitive) which means i don't want to spend a great deal of effort toward it.

Discord works in a browser. Surely there's some form of publicly accessible API that you could use to drop yourself into a voice room sans everything else. Discord still harvests your voice but sure whatever CIA doesn't care about me calling Lucio players faggots.

xmpp doesn't require much effort desu, just tell them "it's like email" and they'll get the concept. You add your friends to your friendlist and are good to go. Besides, the main goal is to be free and independent, not to carter to gaymer brainlets with a psychological age of 5 year olds

If you want a Qt based Discord/Slack client, there's always Ripcord which has better features than discord like having tabs.

>what is Tox
>what is Telegram

irc

>Isn't matrix just a protocol like IRC?
Yes, but it still needs a server. Matrix clients (like Riot) talk to Matrix servers (like Synapse) over the Matrix protocol. Matrix servers also talk to each other using the Matrix protocol (federation)

>google captcha:
>>please try again
>8 TIMES
disable firefox tracking protection.
you can't escape the botnet anyways

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-10 16-22-32.png (365x178, 15K)

based, had no idea discord had been REd. i know it doesnt stop them keeping my data, but i at least want to trust the damn client isn't spying on data i havent explicitly given it.

Haha, the ripcord website's first 'feature' advertised
>Features
> Not made from a web browser

>setting up user lists etc
How normie-friendly do you need it? with rocketchat (and mattermost, another opensource slack clone), you can do the usual "sign in with twitter/fb/google/etc" if your normie friends can't be arsed to create a new account. See the rocketchat demo
open.rocket.chat/home

I think overall though, if you just prioritize normie friendliness over decentralization, you can just use discord in a locked down separate browser profile (and on mobile with something like a shelter work profile if you want). The information discord the company can collect on you is then as limited as possible, no more than browsing a random webpage.

Why can't you self host? Are you a poorfag? Even if you can't host at home just get a 5$ vps and get it over with. Less than a cup of coffee!