Honest opinion on Void?

Attached: kisspng-void-linux-package-manager-linux-distribution-syst-postvoid-dribbling-5b05a8b1744c53.2473790 (900x760, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9PK2QWY5yIU
youtube.com/watch?v=FcM38z8bBjU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZUXLB6IiYQM
voidlinux.org/news/2018/04/my-little-void.html
github.com/void-linux/void-mklive
wiki.voidlinux.eu/Installation_on_UEFI,_via_chroot
git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/bash/APKBUILD
git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/coreutils/APKBUILD
git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/community/emacs/APKBUILD
git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/gcc/APKBUILD
pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#variables-for-ms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bamp

its the best distro there is, just wish it had more packages and users

Hot, hipster, shit.

I blame the tricky install, though when it's accomplished, it feels fucking good

This shit is faster than the speed of light, my friend
Boots in about a sec ffs

no systemd, rolling release and extremely minimal, if that's what you want then it's a great distro

thought about using it to revive an old core duo laptop.

I can forward a guide to install it if anyone is interested. I think the tricky install puts off a lot of potential users.

Deprecated shit now the only person with the ability to maintain and update it killed himself.

Also no systemd so it’s shit.

It's awesome.
Runit is clear and easy to understand.
Many fewer services running for unknown reasons
Plenty of packages especially for those looking to reduce bloat
No odd abstraction layers this making unavailable packages easy to build

I'm interested! Thanks in advance, user.

Just werks

Makes my computer boot quickly.

useless unproductive time-wasting meme, like arch

Fuck it systemd is not init. Boot system, whatever, it's semantics. Writing this before Jow Forums spergs out.

Point is, systemd is literally shit, and I'm not gonna give the reasons for it when there are dedicated websites to explain why.

>boot quickly
Runit is far faster, but hey, if you like bad stuff then that's your thing I guess.

Anyone might want to ask why I preach for Void, and the reason is that I just want others to experience this well-feeling this distro gives.

youtube.com/watch?v=9PK2QWY5yIU

Says the guy who either never used it or couldn't understand why "sudo apt install" wasn't working

Thanks a lot for the link! I'll give it a try tonight.

these are also good videos
youtube.com/watch?v=FcM38z8bBjU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZUXLB6IiYQM

if you don't want to watch the whole video, you can skip to the part where he does the partitioning and stuff. It's also important to choose "install from local .iso" in the installer if you just downloaded the .iso without a desktop, otherwise you can't login.

voidlinux.org/news/2018/04/my-little-void.html
pony furry shit
that's all what you need to know

Void is better at being Arch than Arch itself.
(But provides it own installer because unlike Arch they don't have gatekeeping neckbeard syndrome.)

I like it, more docs here and there would be nice tho

Musl seems more suckless than glibc

Shit just like any Lincuck distro

>Packages

Sort of agree. Would be more convenient but building non critical applications from source is a trivial task compared to gentoo.

Void seems too retarded to mount a currently existing efi partition onto root. Anyone got any suggestions?

Attached: 1326187654487.jpg (960x498, 34K)

Void can be made as difficult or easy as you want. Start from CLI basics or a DE and installing GUI's for everything.

Yeah. Though I think the installer isn't making things easier.

>any suggestions
Use windows

No

Is it just me or does Locale doesn't work in the installer

Installer is ez enough once you figure out its quirks. Much improvement to be made on it, though.
I used Debian for a long time, always on stable, but my buddy finally broke me down and got me to test out the musl variant of Void on an unused box of mine. Made it into a headless server that still runs to this day. Simple, efficient, and fucking fast, with many options, decent-enough repos and a great community (just please bring the forum back online...). Rolling release, but shit seldom breaks. Runit is a fucking godsend and the xbps tools are equally great.
I now run it on most of my hardware. Would recommend Jow Forumsentoomen to spin it up in a VM and give it a shot.

runit
libressl
rolling but no bleeding edge
modular

>No
Gay

The forums are down so I can't view any of the answers. But I keep running into this during the installer. Any ideas? tty8 doesn't exist

Attached: VirtualBox_Void Test_10_11_2018_12_09_49.png (720x400, 4K)

Redpill me on Void. Why should I use it over Manjaro?

What do you mean tricky install? It provides a gui type installer on the command line and is 10 times way more faster than installing arch. Can you please clarify what you mean by tricky install?

I think you should install it via chroot.

Got it on an old ass Core 2 machine and it's fine.

Chroot install if you're having trouble with the ncurses install. Should be easy if you know how to install Arch.

>breaks your system in the name of minimalism
this is the one Jow Forums meme I am not gonna fall for

The partitioning-guide inside the installer and the wiki gave me this every time. The video in the last post ITT addresses how to fix that, at least for me on a GPT system.

Its been a while since I did an install but I believe root and/or UEFI etc/boot kept resetting if you clicked trough certain dialog boxes.

Before installing check wether it formats root and boot correctly

using it right now

>no bleeding edge
honestly the whole package situation is the reason why I haven't moved to void yet
guess time will tell

musl works fine for 95% of programs. i use alpine with musl on my servers and desktop, but i chose void-glibc for laptop only so i could have an additional compile/testing target for dev

all they had to do was add support for glibc's extensions but they won't because of their unwarranted elitism, fuck musl

are you speaking out of your ass? the 5% of programs that dont work well without patches / bugfixes, they dont work because theyre buggy, not because they rely on glibc extensions. i dont think ive used one program that actually relies on any extensions

the fact of the matter is glibc is the standard, you can try to shift the blame all you want but when you switch libc and things start to shit the bed then the only one to blame is the newcomers

no, retard, posix is the standard

i didnt think underage idiots were allowed on this site

why did you bring up posix all of a sudden? are you brain damaged? I was talking about glibc extensions

and i told you already that there are virtually no programs that rely on glibc extensions

learn how to read or kill yourself

>and i told you already that there are virtually no programs that rely on glibc extensions
look who's talking out of his ass, how ironic

ive compiled a shitload of programs for alpine and not once have i run into a glibc-specific feature that was required. the only issues ive routinely run into are programs that rely on a nonstandard stack size for pthreads, and programs that assume __GLIBC__ is defined for all linux hosts. seriously, quit making yourself look stupid

You have problems because ISOs are old
just make them yourself ffs

git clone github.com/void-linux/void-mklive
make
sudo ./mklive.sh -a x86_64
that's it

if that's not enough try installing without installer wiki.voidlinux.eu/Installation_on_UEFI,_via_chroot

your anecdotes are worthless, they didn't come up with those extensions for no reason, saying "hurr nobody needs them" only makes you look retarded

then tell me what programs you use that dont compile without glibc extensions. i'll wait

the entirety of gnu, systemd also only supports glibc

what the fuck is "the entirety of gnu"? i can install gcc, coreutils, emacs, and bash just fine on alpine
>systemd
if that's the only real example you have then that's pretty good. systemd isn't worth using anyway

It's okay now I was just virtualbox, maybe it's something to to do how I set up the environment, works fine on my x220

>install
we're talking about libc you absolute moron, what the fuck has this got to do with it? i dare you to try to compile any of those with musl
>systemd isn't worth using anyway
nobody asked for your worthless opinion

I'm used to the Debian safety practice of no using su, is there a way to get rid of this on void? I unchecked myself from wheel, but want to get rid of completely.

someone had to compile them with musl for them to even be available on my system, retard

sudo passwd -l root

you mean the packagers had to apply dozens of out of tree patches to get them to work with your special snowflake libc? no fucking shit, moron

Wouldn't this lock sudo aswell?

git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/bash/APKBUILD
git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/coreutils/APKBUILD
git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/community/emacs/APKBUILD
i dont see any glibc-related patches here
git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/gcc/APKBUILD
most of these patches are hardening, iirc the non-hardening patches are to specify build target but i haven't looked in a while and i'm tired. do your own fucking research, idk why i'm sitting here wiping your ass for you

no?

Can either of you two arguing about musl and glibc very easily explain why I ought to use one or the other for a simple void desktop that only uses a few browsers and a few games?

glibc's only necessary if you're running precompiled (e.g. proprietary closed-source) software, because most of it is dynamically-linked. otherwise you're fine with musl. i have a debootstrap chroot on my desktop to run shit like minecraft and android studio and it works fine

Low level components like libc should concern users like you, if things doesn't work with musl then use glibc, it's that simple

s/should/should not/

i might be wrong about gnu packages using glibc extensions but the fact of the matter is those extensions exist and people use them, just because they don't have fancy names like posix or iso or ansi doesn't make them any less standard

I've thought about trying void, but I can't come up with a reason to switch from Gentoo.

you gotta remember that your initial post claimed that musl broke anything. the fact is, it only breaks broken software, and on top of that most software doesnt utilise gnu extensions. keep in mind a lot of shit tries to run on windows and/or bsd as well, so they have to be generic enough

maybe you're right but that still doesn't prove that nobody uses glibc extensions, i personally am not gonna hesitate using anything that will make my code look/work better, fuck windows/bsd

>if that's not enough try installing without installer wiki.voidlinux.eu/Installation_on_UEFI,_via_chroot
I'll never understand people who complain about this. They want to use a more-minimal-than-average distro but don't want to type in commands to install it?

I use Void

Attached: 3DB9B4BD-9D78-431C-9AE6-557C9D288298.jpg (2448x3264, 2.11M)

Good distro, good community, lack of packages, lack of people. I used it for a while, then it started constantly crashing so I jumped ship, still my favorite distro though

It's awesome in theory but it has 2 packages and it's a pain to use LaTeX with it. Also no wine-staging which means I can't play muh gaymes.

you don't compile shit

>no wine-staging
fuck what's the status of this? can play a few wine games, but league of legends doesn't work yet..

the only issue i've got with it is that it doesn't convert my markdown to pdf. maybe i'm stupid, but i don't know how to find a non-latex md to pdf converter... and i don't want to use online services.

I used vim for my rmd, what are you using RStudio?

it's not a question of the text editor (i just use mousepad). it's a question of converting a .md file to a .pdf file without using online services. i'm writing something, and i like markdown formatting.

Can you use pandoc + groff?
$ pandoc -f markdown -t ms doc.md | groff -ms -Tpdf > doc.pdf

haven't thought of that but i'll try

Actually, pandoc will call groff for you if you output to a .pdf file:
$ pandoc -f markdown -t ms -o doc.pdf doc.md

pretty gud i like the musl release. pretty gud init too brother

this one worked better, but it gives me indentations, and i don't want that. also, it doesn't put vertical lines near my quotations and i want that...

They should work the same, you just need to use -s on pandoc if you call groff separately (-o doc.pdf implies -s)

You can tweak the output using templates and variables:
pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#variables-for-ms
For example, -V indent=0 will turn off the indent.

they should work the same, but the first command didn't render the apostrophes correctly.

but i guess it's easier if just use dillinger.io

Compiling is a feature of gentoo, it’s part of the reason I use it

>but i guess it's easier if just use dillinger.io
Probably, but if you don't want to use online services, and you want a specific look to the PDF output, you're going to need to learn some kind of tool.

There are many more alternatives, but it's impossible to say if their "default" look will satisfy you, so unless you get lucky you will have to put in some work to customize it.

Personally, I would probably convert to an XML format like DocBook (can be done with pandoc) and then use XSL-FO to create a custom stylesheet for PDF output. But that's mostly because I use those tools already for work, you might find pandoc's template system more than enough and easier to pick up.

I know this isn't FLT, but can anyone explain the process of building from source to a brainlet?

If it works and is practical, just don't fucking switch. Curious? Just use a vm and see for yourself before installing.

Butt that's me, not you skinny fat

But that's me, not you skinny fat

I use it since 2months.
The installer is a bit tricky but easy to fix with chroot.
Not a distro for video games, Optimus is broken, an AMD user have been complaining about the drivers on IRC as well.
Runit is the best thing, very fast and simple. They have alternative to pulseaudio, dbus, udiskie, etc... Ram usage can be very low. I tried it on a old laptop and it runned nicely.
Overall it feels clean and lightweight. I'm happy with it so far. Good for simple usage I'd say.
I read musl is slower than glibc but haven't tried myself. I think it's meant for embedded systems for lower ram usage and increased security.

>dbus
what's a better alternative for void?

2 stoopid 2 install it.