Come to the dark side

Come to the dark side

Attached: 58482afbcef1014c0b5e4a21.png (496x512, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller/releases
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I was forced to in work. Never used a windows machine to dev on before because I don't shit where I eat... But it wasn't as bad as expected. Was pretty comfy once I learned my way around the ide.

it's pretty good

Wake me when it works offline and the installer actually works reliably and an installation takes 1GB or less

Already use it for work, pretty comfy once you get the hang of it tbqh

Worked in it for little, it reminds me of Visual Basic so it's okay. Minus points for telemetry and botnet stuff. Anyone heard of VSCodium?

But I already use the dark theme.

yes, i have heard of it

Does Visual Code allow me to sign into my Microsoft account to sync settings between devices? If so I will probably switch over from vim

I am not an MS fan, but some people in here are lying big time. Works fine on my debian install and has no bloat whatsoever.

You either use that and do actual work, or pretend you do work on vi/emacs

lmfao

How do I install this on a different harddrive than my OS? It seems like no matter what, it needs to but at least 30 gigs on my SSD. How the fuck does Microsoft get away with this shit?

Attached: 1531928327791.jpg (750x750, 65K)

>30 gigs
Nice meme fag. It takes up like 3 gigs on my drive.

Which is still too much for me because muh 60 gig SSD.

The MS compiler only does C89 I think. I'll use gcc/clang to make my little 50kb programs :)

It does not. There are extensions which let you do it through github instead if MS.

Is that not the visual studio icon? Cause i was talking about visual studio not VS code

Well if it was 30 gigs it would be impossible to fit on my drive. It does throw around a lot of shit on the drive but I'm pretty sure it's not more than 3-4 gigs.

If you only install the Core Editor, it's 600 MB. But no one installs only that.
A typical installation (C#, C++) s between 5 and 9 GB. If you're feeling really cheeky, you're seeing a massive 89 GB monstrosity.

89 GB for an IDE.

In that case I only have C# and ASP.NET.

>Open source
>Needs an account and internet to run

Any non botnet version of Visual Studio?

emacs

>If you only install the Core Editor, it's 600 MB
...which refuses to load any WinForms or WPF projects even if you don't use their visual designer

>>Open source
>>Needs an account and internet to run
No it doesn't.

>No it doesn't.
Wrong.

Hey, I never said it had to work out-of-the-box!

>y u use so much space >:(
>i use little space >:(
>but have same problem :))

It literally told me my time is over and that I need to log in to continue

>windows exclusive
Windows is a fucking joke. I'm trying to install an education edition and it keeps telling me it's "home" edition. What a piece of shit OS.

Alright I checked. It might ask you to login but you can still use it without an internet connection. This is on the Enterprise version.

I meant it is a fault on my end.
>getting this mad at someone using software you don't like

I want to but microsoft servers hosting compilers in my counry is fucking slow as fuck that it will take me 2 days

I'm trying to learn C++ and the other day I ran the VS installer, which showed me a window similar to this where I could choose what to install.
I have no idea what all of these things are.
Do I have to install all of the C++ stuff, or it's all just bells and whistles?
I don't have much space on my drive already.

Attached: vs2017-modify-workloads.png (1258x639, 102K)

>visual studio for mac doesn´t have a c/c++ compiler, need to install visual studio code for that
>if you click on run shit still opens a cmd instead of having an output like clion

You want desktop development with c++. Universal Windows Platform is for windows store applications (noone uses this).

Visual Studio still has one of the most comprehensive debugging IDEs I've ever seen. Still, it can let me down when dealing with both managed and unmanaged code (work in shop that deals with both C++/MFC and .NET shit).
Project management in it can be pretty clunky. They have made it easier to deploy .NET packages straight to repos, but they still shit all over their C++ users.
Initial install and setup can be opaque to people who haven't been programming professionally for years. Default install is really scattershot in terms of toolsets.

Attached: 1396047934623.gif (543x600, 20K)

So I'm ok with just that and nothing else?
What about the stuff inside of it (shown on the right side of gif related)?
Do I need everything?

Attached: vscpp-concierge-choose-workload.gif (1290x719, 199K)

this, it works but is just so bloated

wut?

Attached: 1529987858034.gif (300x162, 1.25M)

One of the best IDEs but unironically. Only one problem - that thing is fucking fat. I have lots of hobby projects I do, so everything takes up a lot of space. It also has a tendency to fuck up if you install different versions - I had an incident where I had to wipe my hard drive just so I could install it after uninstalling some very old version some time ago.

they even made a custom uninstaller for it, that shit is really embarrassing : github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller/releases but hey atleast this tool will uninstall old versions properly.

The (un)installer in VS 2017 is improved though, more options for what to install will keep it less bloated.

lmao, yeah I saw that. Didn't help that time, but tbf I think I had butchered my version back then myself.
I remember hearing you have to install it oldest >> newest and uninstall newest >> oldest for it to go without problems. Haven't had to do this yet and hopefully never will.

>tfw use this now
I finally got a job, bros. We're all going to make it.

Since when is Visual Studio open source?

No

How do I know what to download?
Even googling each one I can't decide if I need it or not.

>electron
does it use cookies?

it has literally been ages since i coded in c++ but at that time i think i just downloaded gcc for windows and used geany. Depends on what you want to learn ofc but may be a better option desu

I prefer CLion over Visual Studio.

Attached: 1529337671886.jpg (923x713, 62K)

It’s just a poorfag who
A) can’t afford proper storage so it’s gotta be a small install
B) can’t afford a good PC that can run a big boy IDE
C) is a seething neckbeard who needs to cope

Attached: image.jpg (432x610, 382K)

Is there any legitimate reason for an IDE to be 30GB in size?

Visual Studio > Visual Studio Code >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other linux-let IDE >>>>>>>>> Android Studio

Probably the biggest brainlet post I've ever seen on Jow Forums.

>maintains its own parallel file system which is different from the real one
>stored in xml config which is a great generator of merge conflicts
>shits itself when you try to rearrange files outside of it

This is probably just me being used to sane IDEs like IDEA but jfc you can get into a really horrible state in VS easily. Nothing like recreating your project from scratch because everything is royally fucked