Why do you use this piece of garbage already ?

Why do you use this piece of garbage already ?

Attached: image.jpg (225x225, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/discordapp/status/897170310348263426
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So I can talk to my friends plus Im not a paranoid sperg

There are much better apps for chatting with friends

What language is this? It seems Germanic but I can't make it out.

K, convince all my friends to use it.

Bet OP is a poo

to talk to a qt 3.14 16yo girl

I don't. For some reason the guys in my engineering school's hacking club have a Discord, that's pretty stupid.

Hackers use discord a lot.

I'll give you a few minutes to rub a couple brain cells together and figure out why.

more like script kiddies

>thinks online friends are friends.

Stop playing with people that aren't your friends, you're better off playing single player games, then wasting mental energy with retards.

it just werks

based and redpilled

I don't even use the big group servers. The friends I'm talking about are my IRL friends.

>being this wrong
>reddit spacing
every time

>user forgets that real-life friends exist

>Discord

Attached: i-sit-here-to-smug-at-you-sleep-was-a-13864314 (1).png (500x495, 89K)

Just use matrix and use a bridge to talk to the non-believers.

Stop posting this and make a better alternative then. I agree that it is a piece of shit from a privacy/security standpoint, but from a functionality standpoint it is top notch.
Go start a Discord Alternative General /DAC/, and if enough people care you can organize an open source project.
But to answer your question, people use it because it works flawlessly and integrates with everything. Most people don't really care about open source or privacy.

Alternatives already exist why do you think Jow Forums should make another alternative?

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

It get's even better when you realize that Jow Forums was incharge of tox

Because there is an asshole on Jow Forums that keeps killing threads by complaining about Discord existing. And Jow Forums is always bitching about how bad other software is, I want to see what happens when someone here tries to make something as polished as Discord.
If anything someone should at the very least make a Matrix client as sleek as Discord, Matrix is a fine protocol but all of it's clients are shit. And people are already working on bridging Discord to Matrix.

Now it's not that fine of a protocol, but it gets the job done if one implements a client carefully. And at least it has E2E.

So I can talk to my friends, I'm not gonna be the cunt that forces my autism upon them.

Plus I can make it look like this

Attached: 1535815391725.png (1366x768, 427K)

What isn't fine about it? It has E2E and allows you to connect to any other service there is a bridge for.

>i can make the program that transmits all of my personal messages to third party servers look like I am a hacker, therefore it's alright to use

Attached: 1518804573887.jpg (800x600, 45K)

Never said that, just said I can make it look pretty, never said that that makes up for the bullshit it does

ive gotten my friends to set up an xmpp account and use conversations and gajim. whats your excuse

>xmpp account

nice argument

is that really how you think xmpp works?

can everyone just go back to Mumble already?

Attached: 1200px-Icons_mumble.svg.png (1200x1200, 183K)

ive been hosting my own xmpp server for years, what have you been doing

Sure, when it has all the features Discord has. IDK why someone hasn't just slapped Discord's UI and features onto mumble, it shouldn't be very hard considering all the design and features have been made for you, someone just needs to implement them.

You should've said "than" instead of "then" because now it looks like an order.

not telling lies on anonymous imageboards.

asking stupid questions isn't lying but it still makes you look like a mouthbreathing nigger

All features of discord + more

Attached: mumble_2018-11-10_12-03-14.png (1600x837, 155K)

Since when can you use it from a web browser on any device?
Since when does it embed videos/images that are linked in the chat?
Since when does it allow PMs and direct calls outside normal servers?

it sure does if you like an interface that belongs on windows 98

>an interface that belongs on windows 98
Based

FOSS interface > anything else

Well E2E isn't fully specced. Many things aren't fully specced. Without server side member lazy loading you get huge initial sync responses which are quite hard to handle for a client, resulting in slow clients.

It's getting better but it will always be quite a heavy and verbose protocol.

Mumble:
+Comes bundled with a Fisher-Price™ theme specifically designed for newborns
-Harder to use, decreases accesibility for developmentally-challenged individuals
-No funny gifs; doesn’t feel like my Tumblr dashboard

Discord:
+Web 5.0-ready; ready to be absorbed into the Google-Facebook conglomerate within a minute’s notice
+No certificate-based security for authentication and communication means more accessibility!
+Bad
+Dehumanize yourself and become the botnet
+Is run by litteral and figurative faggots twitter.com/discordapp/status/897170310348263426
+Used by the cool people I watch on Twitch who play LoL
-Name is intimidating

>real life friends don't exist
Not everyone is asocial sperg, user.

Why do i need certificate based security on a chat client.

Communication platforms aren't a choice. The most essential product they offer are the users. They inherently form natural monopolies. People have limited attention and limited time, so they will only use services that have the most people they care about. You are going to miss out if you don't use what people use.

I've tried to make people move over to matrix. But it never works. I have however, successfully convinced others to NOT move over to discord.

That only gives you a sliver of the discord functionality, and the functionality that you DO get is still on discords botnet.

It gives you E2E for the people using matrix as well, which is more important than the rest of the botnet functionality on discord .

>I can make it look like this
how?

>Web 5.0-ready
Aren't we on 3.0 now?

BetterDiscord + ClearVision Sapphire + Minimal CSS edits

i really need that theme

Why is your UI so terrible?

Reminder that nowadays the UI and UX is 70% of a software. That's why user-end softwares without design teams can't actually compete on the market and are doomed to stay niche/underground softwares.

Attached: IMG_20181110_210220.jpg (1536x2048, 226K)

test

Why would I switch to something else when everyone I know always use Discord?

Irc or telegram are great alternative

Attached: 1493577740669.jpg (476x535, 23K)

>thicc discord girl
wtf I love discord now

Is there though? It's technically superior to all other group chat applications.

Mumble is the only OSS option that gets a pass.

I love this comic because discord actually succeeded, i used to have friends on skype TS mumble and IRC. Now they all use discord.

does mumble have persistent text chat yet? Probably discord's best feature is I don't have to be connected to the server 24/7 to participate in chat, I can close my client for an hour then open it and know that I didn't miss anything.

Name some

inb4 a bunch of obscure garbage no one uses

but users loved windows xp with its clunky 5-pane interfaces covered with scrollbars and tiny undecipherable icons. there are really only 2 rules to ui design, change is bad and discoverability is good.

mine are all tech illiterates who use spyware on a daily basis

Because all my friends use it.
It's quite good for voice-chat while gaming.

It's also very flexible, since you don't need to install anything, just open a browser window and you have voice chat and rich media chat with a nice UI.

Web 4.0, afaik.

but my online friends are the same as my real friends user
don't tell me you don't know anyone in real life

Has anyone bothered to find a better alternative?
>130 million users
>free
>public and private servers
>ez pz

It's essentially the de facto replacement for IRC. No other platform has managed to compete with Discord in this and attract as much of a userbase. And as other people in this thread have said, the amount of people who use this thing makes it unavoidable. Do you suggest there's an alternative? (Seems like you are)

I've used ts3 since 2005 and I see no reason to switch really. Its proprietary too but I prefer it.

>It gives you E2E for the people using matrix as well
useless when the message is on discord servers

>which is more important than the rest of the botnet functionality on discord .
I don't know if you realize how little a matrix bridge does. All it gives you is the messages in your own discord server. It does not have access to other servers, voice chat or private messages, so you might as well not use it.

I only have 2 people that I would call a "friend", everyone else is an aquaintance/coworker.

People waste too much time on fickle friends, who are just using them for their extroverted needs.

I'm an introvert, and the only friends I need are the ones that I can drink with; real friends.

Hating Discord is for contrarian autists and brainlets who think that technical performance is the only thing that a communication tool needs.

Fuck off you shitty zoomer cunts. Gmod is for queers and your servers are trash. neck yourself

>free
exept its not

yes

All of my friends use it and won't switch to TeamSpeak.

Attached: 1532523010665.gif (367x219, 523K)

>the amount of people who use this thing makes it unavoidable

Like Facebook?

>changing the appearance but not changing anything that's part of the flawed UI
Still looks like shit user

What is the flawed part of the UI?

>playing single player games, then wasting mental energy with retards
I'd rather do that in the opposite order so I wash off the bad feel of retards with my single player games

because all of the cute boys ask me if I have discord.

You're right, communication tools also need
>Privacy (OTR messaging) and encryption built in
>non-proprietary in order to avoid network dependence
>standardized protocol so there is actually a market for services around it that can bring in money
Discord has none of this, it's just another shit VC-backed startup that intentionally loses money for years an stifles the market just to datamine people and push proprietary software that they will sell off later.

heh yeah

>Privacy (OTR messaging) and encryption built in
I dont give a shit about some attacker listening the shitposts with my friends while playing

>non-proprietary in order to avoid network dependence
I dont care either as a user I only want to use it, not compile or anything, just use it

>standardized protocol so there is actually a market for services around it that can bring in money
Discord is the product itself, if they want to sell more services they can do it what reason is this

man discord disabled my account liek 10 times already and i still dont know why they do it

Yes, we already know the average discord user doesn't care about engaging in any communication besides calling people niggers 1000 times on fortnite.

Software being non-proprietary and having less network dependence actually makes it easier to use. Discord is not "the product" as it doesn't cost money. Reminder that if it's free, the product is you. If it's proprietary, they have additionally expressed their interest in making it intentionally difficult for you to make any money off of any secondary markets that would potentially appear. The protocol being proprietary and locked down isn't to make it easier for them to sell services, it's to make it harder for anyone else to do so on top of their platform. They don't even profit off of doing this, they do it just to be twats.

Is this discord? Sorry I don't hang out with 14 year olds.

>calls people retards
>makes an OP with a retarded headline
>spouts inane arguments that don't even work from a subjective point of view let alone an objective one
I hate Discord too but god damn man.

Cuz everyone else does

my lads are twits who can barely understand python, there is no way they can be bothered learning how to use Matrix or Pidgin, let alone Irssi.
Gamers can go jump in a tire fire.

Working music bot

OTR is poorly-designed and poorly-implemented. all the half-decent shit is using double-ratchet encryption algorithms now

Does anyone have actual proof that hammer&chisel sell discord user info and not just ">trusting companies"?

Should we tell him normies use discord too?

Cause everyone else uses it

How do I use Conversations without paying after 6 months?

this is the stupidest shit i've seen on this website

trillian :^)
slack :^)
riot.im :^)
aim 6:&)
skype (pre microsoft :^) )
teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble :^)
blow it out your ass
miranda
[spoiler]pidgin[/spoiler]
google hangouts

maybe they need a good friend (maybe YOU) to enlighten them and show them that things don't need to be so horrible?