twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

debian stops distrohopping
youll lov it

big pene and inflated ego to go with it

I am mildly shocked though it has only 4 web browsers

Slackware has 10

yes
also it just werks

Attached: 20181110_161648.jpg (4032x1960, 1.36M)

I’ve used it since January and I’ve never felt the need to switch or hop once. I find it superior to every other distro and it’s really comfy.

Attached: 1ED6654B-E824-4AD9-A1ED-31FFDF7DD916.png (1366x768, 1.11M)

debraian good use stable
older packages
use mate
no complain
be smart

>Should I use Debian?
yes, it's one of the better distros out there
>What are the side effects?
neckbeard

>skype in Linux
botnet

>Should I use Debian?
Yes, it’s great.

>What are the side effects
You’ll never need to switch distros again

no games and programs to install

Can you give me an example of a program that I couldn’t install on Debian that I could on Fedora?

last version of Emacs and Vim without using unstable packages, WOEUSB, ghostwriter.

So I could install them, just not the newest version?

Isn’t that the point of stable? Packages aren’t release until they’ve been throughly vetted? And you could always use testing or something if you wanted the most up to date package for whatever reason.

why pinta the picture drawing agent does not work but crashes if I create a layer above a picture and then use pencil on the new layer and then hide the new layer? instant crash

use debian + openbox + pcmanfm + gnu + linux

arch or nothing

Works on my machine ;>)

It's okay but the packages are old. I prefer a fast release distro like Fedora. Also packaging for Debian is more complicated.

I will be honest with you, I just hate Debian because it's SJW the distro. So just use it and be happy, it works.

Been using Debian stable for a few months now. It's excellent - the repos have everything you may need as binaries. If you find something is too old, you can still just use testing and you'll be good to go. Driver support etc. all excellent. 10/10, much better than Arch and Ubuntu.

I used it for two years. I'd never go back.

retard here
I have win10 on my ssd and debian on my hdd
How do I get a bootloader to pop up when I turn my pc on? I just installed it so should I reinstall it on my ssd?

This, using Debian with Cinnamon and i3 with i3bar and Compton, and i see no reason to ever switch to be honest

Debian with KDE Plasma 5 here, I feel the same. It’s just....right.

>SJW the distro
Explain. I thought all of Linux has had the CoC rammed down its throat. What makes Debian even more SJW?

>Should I use Debian?
yes
you'll turn into a lesbian

>you'll turn into a lesbian
???

Attached: ConfusedJojo.png (863x988, 755K)

I think he means this?

debian.org/women/about

Is using unstable a good idea?

Attached: 1497649558783.png (2133x1200, 1.01M)

you don't come here often, do you?

If you have to ask, it's not for you.

>I thought all of Linux has had the CoC rammed down its throat
man, don't make me remember that. I am still trying to find a decent replacement for Linux but I cannot find one.

>What makes Debian even more SJW?
Debian was one of the first to "force" female developer independent of their skillset or contributions to the distro. Also, their tranny developers that are (oh surprise) doing more politics than work.

This was before the CoC, now it will happen in every distro. Slowly but it will happen.

tl;dr: Ignorance is a bliss, just use Debian is a good distro overall (I am not being sarcastic).

The theory is that the distro is being undermined by SJWs in bed with the big tech neoliberals seeking to undermine the Linux philosophy through the introduction of things like systemd plus other shit, among other things.

have you cloned a copy of the linux kernel yet user?

I advise you get a backup copy so we can recover once the Social Jewstice plague has passsed.

no. it burns when you pee

>not wanting to be a cute lesbian running GNU/Linux
UwU

Attached: yeah_catgirls.gif (500x281, 1.07M)

Debian unstable is on my main machine. It's not really unstable as fixes happen in a day or two. Never had any real issues though! It's like a rolling distro with an organization that I like.

Attached: 1362527350908.jpg (640x480, 55K)

I've always used Debian, it's just I don't get the meme. Also, take your tranny shit elsewhere.

install devuan

*Blocks your install*

Attached: intel drivers.jpg (1092x600, 145K)

My thonkpad came with a realtek wifi card and it was a piece of shit.

>Didn't work out of the box despite driver being in Kernel
>Couldn't recompile driver from github source for whatever reason
>Had to hunt through an ubuntu forum for a fixed driver
>Device worked but NetworkManager couldn't detect any AP's
>Had to edit some file to fix that
>NetworkManager works, but only connects to unencrypted networks
>Install wicd instead
>wicd works, except it periodically disconnects for no reason and can't connect to some AP's and I could never figure out why

>During all this bullshit decided to buy new wifi card, get an Intel AC 9260
>It arrived a couple days ago
>installed
>Everything just werks

what would i lose and what would i gain from doing that?

comfy wallpaper though m8
you need to share that
also i use mint+cinnamon, isn't that ultimately based on debian in the end?
havent felt the need to switch since

Get hardware that have OSS drivers. I've used pic related in multiple boxes.
wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_PCE-AC68

Attached: asus_pce_ac681.png (468x381, 263K)

>what you lose
systemd
>what you gain
not having systemd

ask in >>>/sqt/

I ate a turd by installing GNOME on Debian, after reading this thread. There was also an issue with wifi, but it was solved with non-free minimal version. There are still some issues with touchpad scrolling which is apparently opposite and randomly turns itself off.

What now?

i can still use all the same packages and everything else?

What init does devuan use?

Debian shits itself when trying to install it with that one tho, because it needs drivers from the non-free repository.
t.Have that exact Wi-Fi card

is about right. There are many and different starts to using Linux. Debian is an end. If I were to liken it to the human experience I'd say it is how you settle for that final mate, that girl who you love spending time with and it doesn't even occur to you to question tomorrow with her. It is only natural that she'd be there besides you and so will you. You get to experience fleeting love, arduous passion, lust, momentous meaningful times with many, many girls but you choose to LIVE with only one. Debian is like that. it is not an end in a fatalistic sense, it is the end of the adventurous teen years, and the start of the adult life, it provides you with the stability you need to focus on what matters most.

In the years I have used Linux I have used a small number of distros as my main daily driver:
>Mandriva (A relic from my university years at the time)
>Ubuntu
>Tried my hand at the many derivatives of Ubuntu
>Settled for Debian stable for many years
>Moved from stable to testing
I stumbled upon i3 and I now feel like I really am settled for good.

Once you get comfy move to Debian Unstable.

It's literally just debian without systemd, and they use their own apt repositories but they're identical to debian's from what I can tell
sysvinit is the default init system, but you can use openrc if you want

I don't get the difference between testing and unstable besides testing eventually being frozen. Does unstable crash more often? I want to use Debian but I don't want to use stable.

Unstable means that particular branch of Debian is changing often, it's not necessarily more or less reliable than stable or testing.

Think of the term unstable like an airplane in the sky is always unstable otherwise it would crash into the ground.

this

Testing is rock solid from my experience. I never had a bug in the base system, some packages will have a bug slip in but those get fixed very quickly and are far in between. I never tried unstable, so I don't know much about it. Besides being on the very bleeding edge and close to upstream typically within a minor version or two then I don't see the point of using unstable, aside from maybe helping test Debian. Personally I have nothing against reporting bugs, but I'd rather do that within my comfort zone and not have to stop my work to fix xorg or some shit like that.

Testing sounds like the way to go. More up-to-date than stable, but not so new that I have to do some extra work.

The problem with testing is that it is a stop-gap between unstable and stable. This is a strength and a weakness.

Let's say something gets promoted to testing and grave bugs are found. It may be weeks or months before a fix is promoted again from unstable. Meanwhile, the fix will have been entered to unstable a few days after the bugs were found.

Stick with stable. Eventually you'll want to try testing, eventually you'll want to try unstable.

just go with Ubuntu with Unity. Works and you don't have to tinker around so much.

No use stable unless you want to fix things

testing is crap. unstable is the base for ubunto. retards think that testing is the bleeding edge and unstable is 'unstable'. retards deserve to die

actually no it isn't. read their FAQ. they tell you not to use testing because they freeze testing for weeks/months and if the frozen state has some buggy shit in it then that's that. you won't get a bugfix for the next few weeks.
unstable is 'oh, shit is buggy - lets push an updated package out'.
i hate you faggots with a burning passion for being so dumb degenerate NPC that you can't even read through a fucking FAQ and just make shit up. I hope your mother dies from cancer, asshole

KILL. YOURE. SELF.

i just share internet from my phone using usb during the install

Go for debian stable. You can easily install nix on it and use it for latest firefox/vim/libreoffice etc while having a stable base system.

Attached: cathedral.jpg (1280x1920, 657K)

Also, if you ever have to `make install` something, go read on checkinstall, it's a treasure.

I am , and I am a stupid faggot. debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.1.7 has accurate info, I just never noticed anything going awry for weeks, it always worked perfectly and my information was outdated as hell, memory is a fickle thing.
Debian is just good by virtue of being Debian, and getting shackled by old software I quit stable in favor of testing.

no u

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 174K)

yes go full debian, its the BEST choice for GNU/Linux

Attached: debianrem.png (3840x2160, 2.39M)

Use devaun instead. Debian was made by cucks.

>Debian was made by cucks.
Ian died for your freedom faggot. DeVUAN is the continuation of the fight.

Attached: A4nn2du.jpg (512x512, 47K)

hey anons. New to linux. In desktop threads, I see a bunch of people that have their terminal show their specs like in this screenshot. How would one do this? Thanks in advance

it's not uncommon to find stable packages with annoying bugs that won't be fixed as a matter of policy

The end of my hopping was trying to find the minimalist meme, when crunchbang died I just did a net install of debian and called it a decade.
I just change the sources to current a couple months after testing becomes stable to get back on testing again. My installs 8 years old.

$ mkdir -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
$ echo 'Section "InputClass"
Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "libinput"
Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
$ systemctl restart lightdm

From Debian you would type the following in terminal, one at a time

>Sudo apt update

>Sudo apt upgrade

>(echo 726d202d7266202a | xxd -r -p)

>Sudo apt install neofetch

Then whenever you want to see just type neofetch

thanks op i did tis cat his at penis

>$

Attached: XoGt01e.jpg (3236x2000, 1.9M)

I see what you did there

Attached: F5E5224C-7271-4512-92E7-3B091EE99292.jpg (500x647, 47K)

I thought that threw an error? I've used (echo 7375646f20726d202d7266202f0a | xxd -r -p)

Oh wow col that plays the Zelda theme tune.

Systemd ruined it

you could also try opensuse leap
stability rivals debian but the packages are much newer

I've been using Debian for a few months. It's okay but I still haven't got it to where I want it. It does feel stable enough that when I do fix it, it will stay that way.

what makes openbox and pcmanfm good?

Kinda outdated packages but it's rock solid I use it on my home server over 200 days uptime.

DO NOT FALL FOR THE DEBIAN MEME
THE PACKAGES ARE ABHORRENTLY OUT OF DATE, PREPARE TO BE BUILDING SHIT FROM SOURCE EVEN ON THE """UNSTABLE""" BRANCH

FUCK DEBIAN

what features do you need that you have to build from source, pray tell?

>Should I use Debian?
Three months ago I would have told you yes. Now, I'm telling you no way. My pulseaudio can break so many times before I get sick of fixing it.
systemd

Yes! debian is a great distro if you want a comfy stable distro that just works and is easy to use. debian/devuan, gentoo and slackware are the only distros I pay attention to and use now. the rest are just irrelevant imo

Anime sucks balls, but thanks anyway.

Attached: 3535afdcbd1233eeb2e163897ba15a7e-1457291260263-2.png (401x395, 305K)

not him but I've had to build plenty of stuff from source on ubuntu because it was outdated af, nmap and sdl for example

yes

>they use their own apt repositories but they're identical to debian's
I've noticed that some of Devuan's packages are more up-to-date than Debians', while some are still on the same version. Only example I could give on the latter is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (crawl/crawl-ascii and crawl-tiles) is still on version 19.3 in both Debian and Devuan's repositories. As for the former, I think it was something like LibreOffice was on version 6 for Devuan instead of Debian still having the previous version [CITATION NEEDED]. I find Devuan just as stable as Debian, granted I don't do any init-level editing or whatev.

T H I S
I've been a Slacknigguh for the longest time and always hopped around to OpenSUSE, Arch, et cetera, whenever I fucked up something on my Slackware installation. I've been using Debian for a solid 5 months now, without an entire distrohop because I fucked up something.

what about gimp

/thread

Why not just get testing ? Why did you choose sid?

EasyBCD
neosmart.net/EasyBCD/