Everyone talks about how well designed fruit OS is... but its utterly broken at a fundamental level...

Everyone talks about how well designed fruit OS is... but its utterly broken at a fundamental level. The use of a top menu with a dock just wastes valuable screen real estate. A single task bar that combines launching apps with showing open windows is simply superior.
> inb4 autohide dock
But this loses the value of a quick glance showing your open windows, let alone introducing delay if you want to navigate using your mouse
Its simply poor design, as if the whole OS was designed by people who don't do real work

Attached: 1_B4NQemLYBj5qU4SW1Ojh4w[1].jpg (1832x1148, 344K)

you can hide the top bar too stupid

>as if the whole OS was designed by people who don't do real work
This is the whole point. It's for children, so for people who don't do real work.

>hide top bar
>reduce dock size
woah

>if you want to navigate using your mouse
clickity click
this OS is very usable with a keyboard alone, therein lies the good design

>behold ladies and gentlemen the ABSOLUTE state of ganoo degenerates.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

>But this loses the value of a quick glance showing your open windows, let alone introducing delay if you want to navigate using your mouse

>What is Exposé
>What is cmd+tab

>What is Exposé
>What is cmd+tab
shit

Attached: dab.png (686x683, 588K)

cringe

no u

Attached: dab.gif (511x295, 975K)

MOMMY, keyboard is too hard!

>being this new

>being this new

The availability of keyboard shortcuts doesn't somehow justify the shit desktop setup. Its simply inefficient.
Windows view and cycling isn't necessarily more efficient, particularly when you are actually multitasking with multiple duplicate program windows and need to swap between different ones in different sequences.

AHHH no dabssss, where's my mouse, MOOOOM

>The availability of keyboard shortcuts doesn't somehow justify the shit desktop setup. Its simply inefficient.
>Windows view and cycling isn't necessarily...
cmd+opt+d

>particularly when you are actually multitasking with multiple duplicate program windows and need to swap between different ones in different sequences.
Isn't Windows the one that groups windows from the same program under the same button in the taskbar by default?
OS X/macOS shows all the program windows separately, except in Lion and Mountain Lion. My condolences to people using those pieces of turd.
I can roll my trackball to the bottom of the screen faster than I can do that. Keyboard navigation in macOS is ass-backwards. t. macOS user.

>I can roll my trackball to the bottom of the screen faster than I can do that. Keyboard navigation in macOS is ass-backwards. t. macOS user.
why would you even need to do that, is cmd+tab and cmd+` really that hard?

No, in fact I made this post and I use cmd+tab all the time.
But turning dock hiding on and off every time you want to access it is just fucking stupid and requires emacs levels of finger twisting.

Easily fixed
At some point alt tabbing ALONE is simply not as efficient, particularly when you're working with a bunch of different windows of the same program
Case in point

Attached: tbar.jpg (1923x41, 23K)

>But turning dock hiding on and off every time you want to access it is just fucking stupid and requires emacs levels of finger twisting.
I don't use this, just gave an extra option and I don't know what keyboard you use but inputing this shortcut feels comfortable to me.

>At some point alt tabbing ALONE is simply not as efficient
Exactly, and that's why I mentioned Exposé.

cmd+`

this.
Men who do real work use Linux with tiling window managers, not toy MacOS

Attached: download.png (1366x768, 1.07M)

>gaps
>only few usable windows per workspace
nope, floating DE in macos is better

>Exposé
Dogshit when you have more than a few windows open, and in the end is less efficient from a mouse movement and clicks point of view then having windows visible in the taskbar with their names clearly identified.

>I don't know what keyboard you use but inputing this shortcut feels comfortable to me
BTC 5140, ISO Mac layout (aka Super/cmd and alt/opt in the places where they'd be on an Apple keyboard)
Just add more workspaces. I use both macOS on my desktop and Debian with i3-gaps on my laptop, and I feel like floating is more suited towards setups with more screen real state you can waste.
>and in the end is less efficient from a mouse movement and clicks point of view
I have it bound to a button on my trackball. So it literally is "a mouse movement and a click" for me.
>then having windows visible in the taskbar with their names clearly identified.
Are you running an 800x600 monitor or are you blind? Maybe both? How is it that you can't identify windows by their content faster than reading their names?

>Are you running an 800x600 monitor or are you blind? Maybe both? How is it that you can't identify windows by their content faster than reading their names?
Motherfucker if you do real work and have 4 or 5 spreadsheets/w.ever windows open how can you quickly identify them by their "contents"? Unless you are some faggot graphic designer if you are working with texts/numbers task view offers almost no advantage.

please use cmd+tab and cmd+` for more than a month and you'll realise why alt+tabbing gets inefficient with many windows on windows and why it doesn't on macos

I don't think ricing your anime watching machine counts as "real work".

>how can you quickly identify them by their "contents"?
By seeing their contents? The question is, how can you not? Even on my 15 year old 23" 1920x1200 monitor, content inside spreadsheets and text documents is easily discernible in the Exposé previews.
Have you even tried Exposé by yourself?

Expose is only useful for faggot artists like you to help switch between their latest furry fanart and futa they are jerking off to
If you have multiple windows of lines and lines of code/data expose is worse than useless and is infinitely less useful than a taskbar

>If I say it again, it'll become the truth!
My art skills are absolutely awful, I couldn't become an artist even if I wanted to.
Listen, if you find the taskbar more convenient, good for you. Use whatever you like. But saying Exposé is useless for spreadsheets/code/text documents is just stupid.

What’s the point of complaining about awkward default keyboard shortcuts in macOS when they can all be user-customized in System Preferences?

I use spotlight to open all of my apps and rarely if ever see my desktop.
You can't try to use macOS like windows any more than you can try to use Linux like windows.

You do realize that 90% of the people who complain about macOS on Jow Forums have probably tried it only once or twice, right?

I wrote my own script that hides the dock when you require the screen real estate where the dock resides (e.g.: when dragging a window to the bottom of the screen). It literally makes your post and point null and void. Fuck off.

>A single task bar that combines launching apps with showing open windows is simply superior.
no it's not, the top bar and consistency of programs having their menu settings integrated there is the only good thing about macOS. if you don't know what programs you have running that you need something that is constantly visible then you are a disorganized person.
t. dwmfag

well there's always uBar

Attached: products_ubar_image100.png (1960x650, 812K)

God this is so many times worse than using the Dock and Mission Control, and is clearly aimed at dumb Windows users.

Finally! You can replace dock with dock for just 30$, tax included!
[spoiler]How about learning how to use the os instead[/spoiler]

>spoiler

lol

>but its utterly broken at a fundamental level
Yes, it's a UNIX.

>navigate using your mouse
Why would you do that if you can switch to the next desktop with a much faster gesture?

GNOME does it better

Attached: gnomestone.jpg (500x375, 151K)

> A single task bar that combines launching apps with showing open windows is simply superior
Yes, it is.
God, Linux and Windows users are such an envious group of fools.
Imagine being this deranged about an operating system that is simply superior to theirs.

Attached: apps.png (5120x2880, 1.99M)

Vomits
Windows idiots that bought a 2011 MBA, thinking they are going to impress us. I bet it is paid.

UNIX is not in any way near broken, it's just desktop Linux.

Where did the Apple haters went after this?

Attached: download.jpg (300x168, 4K)

What a fucking idiot. That's your opinion, not a fact, and the reality is that you can, if you want.

>the dock and menubar is a waste of screen real-state
Why do you think that most macs have 16:10 displays instead of 16:9?
Also, if you're so bothered see inb4 "you have to pay for it" just pirate it on macbed like 90% of OSX programs ffs...

>A single task bar that combines launching apps with showing open windows is simply superior.
I sort of agree and you used to be able to put the Dock at the top of the screen right under the menubar. If you shrunk it down to the height of the titlebar and pinned it to the right, it didn't get in the way as much as you would think.

Then they took away the option and started putting crap in the titlebar or getting rid of it altogether which would have ruined that arrangement anyway.

macOS UI is crap and has been getting worse for years.

STFU
> you used to be able to put the Dock at the top of the screen right under the menubar.

That's stupid and you never been able to do that.

> If you shrunk it down to the height of the titlebar and pinned it to the right, it didn't get in the way as much as you would think.

You can do that, you piece of shit.

> Then they took away the option and started putting crap in the titlebar or getting rid of it altogether which would have ruined that arrangement anyway.

No, they didn't.

> macOS UI is crap and has been getting worse for years.

Keep telling yourself that.

Today, I will remind them.

Attached: 1528149094956.jpg (1024x768, 232K)

>That's stupid and you never been able to do that.
defaults write com.apple.dock position top
Definitely worked in 10.3, maybe 10.4. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Macs could be great but then Apple realized that idiots like you would keep buying their crap even if they stopped trying, which explains the sorry state of macOS and Mac hardware today.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

>I don't know how to use it so it is shit.

>i cant read so your dum
Mactoddlerism.

>mouse
>gestures
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN

>I tried to use macOS like wangblows and it didn't work out
t. wincel

>as if the whole OS was designed by people who don't do real work
This is the whole point. It's for billionaires, so for people who don't do real work.
fixed

>I tried to use every other OS on the planet like fagOS and it didn't work out
t. mactoddler

UNIX has been around since 1970. It’s not “desktop linux”. Linux was made to be UNIX-like and did a damn good job. UNIX was also very expensive and not the kind of OS somebody would buy to use for their home desktop.

I used Mac OS for a year. I have to agree that the workflow is garbage. Don't fall for Apple's marketing.

t. Too retarded to learn how to use an OS in one year

The dock is trash. Expose is trash. Virtual desktops on Mac OS are trash. The global menu is trash. What a pile of shit.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Care to explain why? Because it's fine for me.

>but its utterly broken at a fundamental level
OH SHIT HE SAID IT. HE SAID THE MOST POPULAR THING REALLY SUCKS. WOOO THIS GUY MUST BE GOOD.

It is as if my monitor real estate isn't as valuable as san franciscos or something.

Who doesn't auto-hide the dock?

Rare to see mimi posted

Windows is just as bad. I use Arch Linux with a heavily modified i3-gaps

Yah well, some people have low standards.

Attached: e5e5fbd798b1ff8f2c3a63af8fc8b8ad1ea0e433b1d24243f08beb8883963edf.gif (495x540, 116K)

ITT: Baby ducks justify the imprinting of their chosen ecosystem.

All Oses have fucking awful UI paradigms all over them, OSX has more than the rest though. The OSX dock and global menu is a natural mapping disaster, The global menu is half context dependent half not. Many actions are hidden behind unintuitive Option/Alt Clicks which is insane for a company which builds the hardware which interfaces with their software, and they have the tenacity to change behavior every version because they think it just works better that way.

You didn't explain why.

looks like dolphin

>introducing delay if you want to navigate using your mouse
I'm going to search the links but mouse has been proved to be more effective/faster than keyboard in everything except actually typing things even among hardcore typists.

This is why I gave up on "start menu" like things. It all went to shit from Vista and onwards, so I just type what I want in all OSes.

>tfw no windows xp multi column programs menu

Attached: start menu.jpg (1280x1024, 178K)

>thinks you get to be a billionaire without doing real work
kek

Attached: drop down menu.gif (600x338, 2.18M)

the windows 7 taskbar is the best thing that Microsoft has ever invented

I'm so glad they re-wrote the Mac App Store app.

OSX It looks like it’s trying too hard to be KDE.

God I love KDS

Attached: BD929AD7-6BC8-4DE3-BF12-19EB324A7567.png (1366x768, 1.11M)

>OSX It looks like it’s trying too hard to be KDE.
This is some pretty advanced mental gymnastics

Sounds like bullshit, keyboard is faster on pretty much everything except navigating websites

you make kde users look bad

Yeah but I have to move my hand
I just prefer not moving them around and doing more things with the keyboard

>top menu
I agree. Grannies who use the OS can NEVER find the "save" menu. Oh it's at the top... not on the application window itself...

Attached: desktop_elements.png (640x523, 556K)

I always thought their GUI design was shit. The icons aren't intuitive, and all those ugly grey tabs look outdated. Even most linux distros have a more aesthetically pleasing DE. It's strange considering they are very good at the physical design of their products, they seem to have stopped in time and neglected their GUI.

Linux does it better.

Attached: KaOS-2015-02-Distro-Brings-a-Unique-Pure-KDE-Plasma-5-Experience-Screenshot-Tour-474204-8[1].jpg (1024x768, 55K)

Auto-hide the dock dipshit

That's because the original MacOS didn't have proper multitasking. The dock was an afterthought.

Windows taskbar was made with task switching in mind, unlike the global menu

Attached: main[1].gif (420x281, 27K)

>best system ever
>premium quality
>even handling windows are a pain in the ass

Attached: macos_mojave_trash.webm (1920x1080, 1.24M)

What is that webm supposed to show? What would be the expected result of double clicking that?

Okay, now post a picture from Mojave since that's not the most recent macOS.

previous versions did a vertical maximize

works on my machine

it still does