/spg/ - Smartphone General

Samsung One UI Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Samsung-One-UI.jpg (1444x812, 233K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZLMmkMR5dwI
youtube.com/watch?v=l-GiJUCev1c
androidauthority.com/state-of-usb-type-c-870996/
sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/brands_xiaomi_20181111.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Repostan
>Is the Honor 8x worth it for $236? Comes with some earphones included as bonus.

i've fucked my galaxy s8, tried to install lineage from external sd, now stuck on boot screen for lineage and can't get back to odin on twrp. anyone know how to fix this?

Recommend me a cheapish phone (200-400 euro) that'll be reliable for 3-4 years. IPhone for 3 years completely dying off rn. Touch disease and "throttling"

So is Samsung finally taking measures to make a cleaner UI with One UI? I've been waiting for the right time to buy a Galaxy phone but I don't want to buy into planned obsolescence and have my phone slow the fuck down within 2 years.

How often do you change phones Jow Forums? I got myself a LG G6 last year and its been great but recently the Note9 caught my attention and I dont find a valid reason to change phones. My G6 still works great and wont need to change phones for atleast a few years..but still I want the Note9 mainly for dat battery life and screen.

Download the latest Samsung firmware and flash through Odin.
Who cares? Just buy a Samsung device with good custom ROM support.

get a redmeme note 5 for 150 and upgrade in 2 years

Have the gs8 on oreo. I haven't noticed it slow down between nougat and oreo, if anything it became a touch more snappy because of the ability to disable more apps than you could on nougat. My ram usage hasn't changed much, again it probably has gone down a bit. My battery life is still good, gone down some, but then again it's a year and a half old, I'm not blaming oreo for wear and tear.

Is there any reason not to wait for S10? Samshit is really killing it right now

eh is it really any good? Had Samsung, HTC and they both failed pretty fast, so how is even cheaper shit gonna hold out?

>2010 - 2013 BB 9780
>2013 - 2016 Nexus 5
>2016 - 2018 Pixel
>2018 Pixel 2 XL

I average around 3 years it seems.

Nokia 7 Plus

>Samshit is really killing it right now
How so? All of their devices after the S7 are overpriced to high heavens. The S8 and the Note 8 are locked down, as well as the majority of their mid-range devices.

What's the best Android One phone that's not stupidly overpriced?

>2006-2009 ngage qd
>2009-2011 some Alcatel shit
>2011-2014 Nokia n95
>2014-2016 Xperia SP
>2016-2018 Xperia Z3 compact
>Now Xiaomi Mi 8 SE

I don't think so since chink manufacturers are absolutely raping them in the midrange to upper midrange segments and meanwhile competing flagship devices like the Pixels, V35 and P20 Pro are genuinely great alternatives with their own strengths. The S9's camera couldn't compete with P20 and Pixel 2.

Sony Ericsson W995
Sony Ericsson Arc S
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Should my next phone be a Sony again?
How are the newish Sony phones?

Galaxy S1
Galaxy S4
Nexus 5
Moto X Style
Moto Z
Nokia 8

Nah Sony is pretty much out of the game. Go for chink Brand like Huawei, good quality and relatively low prices. Sucks for you if you're in the US tho.

>and meanwhile competing flagship devices like the Pixels, V35
Yeah, but in the US and perhaps a few other countries.
>The S9's camera couldn't compete with P20 and Pixel 2.
Uhh, gcam exists. Hardware is certainly capable on all three devices.

Define "not stupidly overpriced"

youtube.com/watch?v=ZLMmkMR5dwI
youtube.com/watch?v=l-GiJUCev1c

This looks like absolute dumpster fire.

Tuleekohan Black Friday tms?

Xiaomi A2

>>Samshit is really killing it right now
>How so? All of their devices after the S7 are overpriced to high heavens.
Dont be poor
>The S8 and the Note 8 are locked down, as well as the majority of their mid-range devices.
Dont live in third world burgerland

Kyllä ite odottelisin

I still can't get to odin mode on the s8 itself, just boots into lineage splash/boot animation

Eiköhän tää S4 vielä jonkun aikaa toimi. Odottelen. Kiitos!

>I still can't get to odin mode on the s8 itself, just boots into lineage splash/boot animation
It's not a mode, it's a firmware flashing tool. Just take a look at some YouTube tutorials.

You're probably better off asking on XDA

Is the LG G7 worth it for 370 euro? I'm considering either that or a S9+ for 650 euro.

Thoughts on the razer phone 2?

Attached: AndroidPIT-razer-phone-2998-w1400h1400.jpg (1400x1400, 557K)

Attached: Razer Phone 2.png (1328x802, 2.38M)

xz3 is good but overpriced and no headphone jack

For that price I'd say it's worth it considering it's a 2018 flagship with a SD845.

LCD and amoled displays havent evolved since 1080pish became a standard. Colors, nits and general image quality are the same, the lifespan is the same.

We havent progressed a bit

Attached: oneplus-6t-front.jpg (782x522, 44K)

Why do we need to
They're good enough
Anything extra at this point is just memes

Hopefully "we" will with microLED.

Why is the pocophone so fucking ugly goddamnit

Stay content goym

Waiting on Black Friday deals for Galaxy so unlocked, on Verizon. Has anyone experienced lag that wasn't fixable with debloating or resetting?

S9*

My S6's battery is draining about 1% per minute for the past 2 weeks now. Should I wait for the S10 or just buy something now? Shit is ridiculous. I don't think I can even get the battery replaced since its the active version.

Has anyone noticed this - Universities and Schools Prefer to utilize MS Windows when delivering/teaching lessons. They recommend that Students Stick to Microsoft Products also: this is Because, Apple Devices Have Spyware Built Into Their IOS, which is not documented but Built Into The System at Factory Level. Apple Spyware (built-in KeyLogger) allows (.gov) Agents, Unlimited Access, and can link-chain, to All Your Apple Devices, in seconds. I remember our first year Professor, a very respected scientist (I did a Comp-Science Degree) specifically lecturing on this, quote: "THE APPLE COMPANY IS A MORE INTRUSIVE AND A BIGGER SPY THAN GOOGLE - THEY LOOK NICE, ARE SHINY, SHINY - BUT BEWARE!! APPLE IS JUST SHINY SPYWARE. THE DIFFERENCE IS, EVERYONE KNOWS GOOGLE IS SPYING ON YOU ((Google admit it)) - APPLE IS THE MOST INTRUSIVE, UBIQUITOUS SPY IN THE WORLD ((THE man/Big Brother)) BUT PRETEND OTHERWISE. " Imagine this, me with all my iPhone, iPad and brand new MacBook- I FELT SUCH A FOOL and was embarrassed to get my laptop out. I was maxed out and had to rush out and buy a cheap chrome book ((It got me thru a 3 yr B.Sc. ok though)) Has anyone else heard similar? Thoughts? Is it still the same now? I like the look of the new iPhones but it's the thought of people listening in on everything you do... I would really love some advice on this. ANYONE ELSE BEEN TOLD THIS??

I had a Galaxy S4 from ~2013-2016. I got an HTC 10 in 2016 and will replace it soon. I would've replaced it sooner but I really wanted to take it to 2 years

2-3 years.
Cheap phones (around 200 €) have got to the point where they're good enough for me.
Well, for me and for most people even though they don't want to admit it. Only gaming and photography might make you want to buy an expensive phone.

enjoy your 'innovashun' and 'curridge'
i.e.
>notches
>phones so thin and bezels so thin that you can't ever grip the phone properly, making drops more likely
>glass sandwich for more fragility
>lack of 3.5mm jack - carry dongles instead!
>lack of micro sd card slot - hurr durr le smart sim!!!
>high and higher pixel densities which are pointless because we're already at the point where you can't discern any more - even 1080 is the max anyone needs - 1440 is a meme that simply taxes the chip and thus the battery more
>smaller and smaller batteries (but we made it more 'efficient', goyim! less is more hehehe)
>no more fingerprint sensor - either it's under the screen, or it scans your face instead

>and now...FOLDABLE SCREENS! "i need a foldable screen!" (said no one). Just another solution to a problem no one had in the first place. That'll be three thousand dollars, goyim. You should buy it, don't you want to fund future INNOVASHUN?? You're holding humanity back, you're halting PROGRESS!

Face it, we reached peak smartphone about 3 years ago. Everything since then has been about making phones worse, not better (and more expensive for an ever worse experience)

Attached: 230.jpg (490x586, 14K)

Xiaomi Mi A2

I'm getting that shit tomorrow for the 11/11 sales.

>3.5 year old phone
It's time for an upgrade.

>time for an upgrade
Do you think everyone's rich like you? Faggot?

>If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.
I need a decent yet cheap phone mainly for calling, sending messages, and reading email. US Verizon. Haven't purchased a phone in 8 years and my dumb phone is shitting the bed and whimpering in the corner.

some kind of Moto G5 or Moto G6
(lots of different models of each so compare and choose by yourself)

Quality post, which is the last thing I though I'd say about any posts with that unfunny new meme.

I spend 200 bucks on a phone at most. I'm not rich.

Oneplus 6T comes on Wednesday but not 100% sure ill keep it. Still wanting a note 9 especially as one ui seems like it'll be nice

Even when I plug it on a wall socket using quick charge cable, my v20 says it's charging through USB and charges REALLY slowly (can take like 6 or more hours to get to 100%).
Any ideas on how to fix this shit?

Attached: 1520916125355.jpg (1600x1200, 432K)

you can reflash stock

is the charger a quick charger?

I didnt notice slowdown on my s7 or s8, i only need something new because the s8 is cracked and my mom has the s7

Redmi 5 or Mi A2

Pocophone

It is. I tried both the stock one and a quick charger I bought the other day, both go slow.

I made a factory reset yesterday, didn't fix anything.

did it used to work before (with this exact same setup - same cable, same charger, same socket in the house)?

Nope, never worked, but I just assumed the charger wasn't quick charge. Now I got one that's supposed to quick charge but it's not working.

I guess you're gonna have to go old school - trial and error
Change each variable until you figure out the culprit
Good ruck

Redmi Note 5 and flash LineageOS

The next real innovation step would be smartphone sized computers with top desktop CPUs and GPUs (making it an all in one), holographics, brain chip implants and neuroreality.

Xiaomi Mi A2
>3000 mAh battery
>no headphone jack
>no expandable storage
>USB Type C
>Android One
>Snapdragon 660

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5
>4000 mAh battery
>headphone jack
>expandable storage
>micro USB
>MIUI
>Snapdragon 636

You tell me, user. Personally, I don't want to install any ROM. I want my phone to just werk, so I'm inclined to buy the A2.
Also, sooner or later everything will be USB Type C and phones will not have a headphone jack, so the sooner you adapt, the easier your life will be.

The only real downside for me is the lack of expandable storage in the A2.

Motorola phones are the best budget option on Verizon. Several of their phones are on sale currently If your budget allows, I'd be considering the X4 or Z2 Play. If you want something cheaper then the E-series phones (E4 and E4 Plus, E5, E5 Play and E5 Plus) is what you should look at.

>I want my phone to just werk
Which you can achieve by installing a custom ROM as well. Custom ROMs don't inherently render your device inoperable.
>Also, sooner or later everything will be USB Type C and phones will not have a headphone jack, so the sooner you adapt, the easier your life will be.
And it's not looking good, so you might want to reconsider this.
androidauthority.com/state-of-usb-type-c-870996/

Guys my S5's screen developed some sort of cancer where apparently everything worked but the screen stayed dark(still got notifications calls etc but couldnt do anything)
I went to my provider to buy a new phone and the assistant wanted me to get an s9. I balked a bit at the prices and asked if a previous generation was available and quite reluctantly got an s8. I hated it at first because it has all the standard google facebook samsung unremovable cancer which wasnt present on my s5 because I had LineageOS on it. The thing is Im not even sure if I will bother with debotneting this phone since all the few apps I use just werk now. So I guess I became an NPC phone normie.

If I have to install a ROM, then it doesn't just werk. I can't be bothered with that stuff, so I won't.

Poco or mi8? Mi8 is $100 more than poco

You don't have to install a ROM though

POCOOOO

>If I have to install a ROM, then it doesn't just werk
How does it not? Do you even know what you're trying to say? Pre-installed OEM firmwares do work, I don't know what you're getting at here.
>I can't be bothered with that stuff, so I won't.
Cool. Don't complain when you have a choice not to give in to planned obsolescence and you did, because you were too lazy to follow a simple procedure.

Also I don't think I'll even root this samsung s8. Apart from installing clover, fdroid and the few essential Foss apps that I still love and use I don't think I'll ever mess around with some pajeet Rom ever again. Sure having all this unremovable bloatware is kind of annoying and probably doesn't help my battery but having everything just work is a huge tradeup. Was all that Foss rooting custom rom shit I used to do just a meme and ultimately a massive timesink?

I think he's saying custom ROMs sometimes sacrifice some abilities in phones. For my phone there were some like volte that i still wanted to use and some other things that I decided to just go back to stock and use nova launcher.

Is nilkin the best chink brand if I want a case that will actually protect my chink phone?

I hate the notch and want a headphone Jack but want flagship tier phone. Whats out there?

Galaxy Note 9 or S9

I don't want that. It sounds horrible.

The most I'm willing to go out of my way with a phone is installing apks. That's it. I already suffer enough by using Windows and having to fix my shit at home and at work. I don't want that kind of experience in my phone, too.

>Oh, yeah, it works, just install this other OS / version of the OS!
No, thanks. Too complicated.

get an iphone then

Then no phone in existance just werks.

Any recommendations for a phone under 500 that is a major upgrade over an IPhone 6s Plus? I am on a 2-3 year upgrade cycle and need a Phone that will hold up.

looking for a back up phone just in case my original phone goes to shit. Amazon has Moto x4, G6, Honor 7x, and Nokia 6.1 (Android One) for $200. Which should I go for?

>I already suffer enough by using Windows and having to fix my shit at home and at work
You don't have to use the atrocity that is Windows 10 on your own machine. I'm assuming that's what's causing you problems.
>Oh, yeah, it works, just install this other OS / version of the OS!
As I've said - all pre-installed OEM firmwares work, but features you like might not be implemented in every single variant.
>No, thanks. Too complicated.
No more complicated than posting on this website. Suit yourself.

Pixel2

Wouldn't even a $100 phone do for a backup phone if it's likely going to just sit unused?

Bluetooth stopped working for cell calls on my 3t which is something I need along with being ready for a better phone. Carrier is US at&t bugget is is 300-400$. Larger screen and good performance in Mobile games is a plus. Had a buddy say to get the mi mix 3 or are there better choices?

Attached: IMG_20180222_215221.jpg (4640x2610, 1.69M)

Apple won't even give up info to the FBI, you fool!

Is chinkshit really the number 1 buy right now? I want a quality phone but I just can’t bring myself to giving even more money to the slants if I can manage.
And yes I know all the phones are made in Bing-dong’s rice paddy.

Yeah, got the e5 play. It is nice.

thoughts on the lenovo k5 pro?
>no notch
>3.5mm jack AND usb-c connector
>6 GB RAM + 128 GB expandable storage
>snapdragon 636
on paper it beats all the xiaomis at its price range, so why is it so unpopular?

Attached: lenovo k5 pro.png (1200x755, 564K)

K. Which one should I get, then? Global or Chinese model? What is the difference?

Mi Mix 3 is over your budget but Mix 2S and Mi8 are on sale currently:
sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/brands_xiaomi_20181111.htm

If you can stay on the OP3T for a little longer then I'd consider waiting for Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals if you're not into the Xiaomi phones mentioned above.

They support different frequencies, use the Kimovil frequency checker to see which one you want:

nice but the glass back is a fucking stupid move and the led logo it's awful. Get it if you have the money and like blocky phones