Hey Jow Forums I love the look of casios Japanese dictionaries/translators. and they have pretty useful functionality...

hey Jow Forums I love the look of casios Japanese dictionaries/translators. and they have pretty useful functionality. Problem is I have no use for a pocket dictionary let alone a Japanese one. It would probably be possible to put some kind of OS on here right (raspberry pi or something?)? It could be cool for audio stuff since it has a mic. I'm a guitarist so I could use it to record sessions or something. I'm not knowledgeable enough with hardware tho. Ill admit i am a board tourist.
someone please help me

Attached: exword.jpg (300x300, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jknlfWH7c0Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I hope this is just a slow board

no idea dude but it looks cute

It's 2018 use your smartphone.

this, I've owned two denshijishos and honestly theyre useless. If you're wondering why japanese still use them just look at the ubiquity of fax machines over there.

Attached: 1530460590815.png (800x1119, 718K)

>I'm a guitarist

Is everyone on Jow Forums either a programming autist or a hipster "musician"? It became obvious when I saw the battlestation threads with all the retards with overpriced mics and speakers but shitty monitors and PCs.

Attached: 1463443127960.jpg (2721x1041, 1.03M)

This, Japs are weird about "tradition" and holding onto shit because "it's just how we do it." That cultural attitude sometimes manifests as an omnipresent and anachronistic use of outdated hardware like faxes and electronic dictionaries etc

wouldnt it be nice to have a dedicated device for stuff like that? phones are always cracking and getting lost.

forget the fact that its a dictionary, it has the functionality of a small laptop minus internet. Imagine basic audio editing programs, maybe a tuner?

someone helpppp

if you want a OS or linux port to that thing do it yourself and be happy, free software is awesome isnt it?

t. someone who's never ported anything significant in his life

i literally ported linux to the 3DS but ok

Doubt it, but last I remember Linux on the 3DS was pretty much useless anyway so even if you did it's not like that really means much. OP is obviously wondering if there's a practical solution.

You don't just casually port an operating system over to undoubtedly poorly documented hardware like this, even the best developers in the free software space have difficulty with that when it comes to getting something actually worth using.

wtf you mean undocumented hardware? the latest models just use a ARM cpu

>thinking a system is just the ISA of the CPU
Yeah, you've never ported jack shit. Fuck off.

i never said i ported anything, are you ok?

OP here,
youtube.com/watch?v=jknlfWH7c0Q

If a port is possible Id want to design the look of the menus in shit so It would have to be completely customizable. Thats why I mentioned raspberry pi cuz I always see those lil emulators running it.

Imagine windows 95 running on it tho. That would be asthetic.

Attached: win95.png (970x728, 289K)

You *might* be able to fit a Pi Zero or something similar in there, adapt the main display and keyboard to it and at that point just run a regular Linux distribution with whatever window manager/environment you want, but it would probably be a pretty bad experience if it ended up working, and having something really worth using would still take some serious work, especially with the dual-screen design and different keyboard layout that isn't really conducive to any kind of real computing usage.

Doing it with the original hardware would probably be even more difficult just figuring out a way to completely replace the on-board software with something else, not even considering the potential for undocumented or shittily documented components and peripherals probably lurking in there.

I don't think there's really too much hope for what you're looking for, unfortunately. But maybe someone has at least tried it.

Yeah it probably wouldn't be a great environment for actual computing but Im thinking about a window environment thats dedicated to the hardware and includes that extra screen. Remember the original xbox 360 environment? I was thinking something like that. Very basic, like just a means to access some custom applications. I was thinking it could have the dreamcast os aesthetic, i really like that.

It's something you can definitely try at but it sure won't be easy.
NetBSD has been ported a few weird Japanese electronics that might have somewhat similar obstacles, maybe it might be worth doing some research to see what needs to be done and seeing if you can pique someone's interest on their mailing list or something.

You might also be interested in something else that already exists, a UMPC or newer Windows CE Handheld PC might do what you want, though I'm not sure how good the microphones are on them. Casio made a number of H/PCs and PDAs but dropped out of the market just as they became somewhat decent for media usage.

Attached: nec-mobilepro-900-handheld-pc-model_1_6590237f83146b3c12f54d9d4557a7ec.jpg (1440x1080, 262K)

Not only does google translate have better OCR, but you can pirate the dictionaries in those casios and search them on your phone.

Look into the Sony CLIÉ and similar device lines, they run Palm OS so you've already got a system that supports third party applications.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (592x444, 53K)

In class, sometimes I want to quickly search a word in the dictionary, and it is too slow to type in a phone. My x220 does the job well, but I've seen some classmates using a denshijisho and they take a lot less space on the desk, so I am considering buying one.