I have 4 years experience as a software dev. why do i have to study for interviews...

i have 4 years experience as a software dev. why do i have to study for interviews? why does every company expect me to solve multiple leetcode problems on a whiteboard? why do they expect me to regurgitate CS fundamentals that I learned in college? for fucks sake i have to relearn that shit every time between interviews because it's has hardly ever been relevant while on the job. does every company think they are Google or something? whats the deal?

Attached: 1410635585321.jpg (600x399, 68K)

>does every company think they are Google

a lot of owners/managers think they are much more important than they are, and to reinforce this delusion they parade around holding people to impossible standards.

>Impossible standards
>Being able to program is impossible

Fucking brainlets lol

Attached: 1530115678947.png (1280x720, 1.11M)

Why don't you just program yourself a job.

Attached: 1447539110777.png (1064x983, 1.55M)

this industry is frustrating as fuck and sometimes i wish i never entered it. i know to some extent the "hipness" of Google and Apple and Silicon Valley tech is part of the reason i studied CS in the first place, but what a fucking shitshow of an industry it is when there is an entire separate industry of solely INTERVIEW PREPARATION. it blows my mind that in todays world, a modern programmer will probably have read more books on preparing for interviews than actual software engineering.

all this shows me is that companies are too incompetent to properly screen their candidates or come up with actually effective interview methods.

to some extent, this is what i envision myself of doing. i'll accept being underpaid/underworked at my current job, and contribute to OSS i find useful. and if something good comes of it, cool, if not, whatever man i guess ill die a poorass softwaredev

it pisses me off to OP esp. when the solution boils down to some weird theorem of arithmetic and number theory lol then they want you to parse json files on the job

The stupidest thing is how the companies that grill interviewers the hardest are the ones where your day to day work will have little to no impact and it's damn near impossible for you to fuck anything up. We're talking "your job is a single tab on the polish translation of the admin settings page" type shit.

Meanwhile, small startups often hire with little to no whiteboarding fizzbuzz bullshit for roles that come with massive responsibilities to the point where these companies frequently have teams of 1-3 college dropouts in charge of an entire platform.

It's totally backwards.

It'd be like if before I hired a plumber I ask him to go into great depth about types of fittings, pipe construction, ask him to whiteboard out flow rate through my hypothetical toilet. It's asinine.

>why do i have to study for interviews? why does every company expect me to solve multiple leetcode problems on a whiteboard?
oversupply caused by h1b

They want to know if you can follow simple instructions.

this would be fucking hilarious.

>to some extent, this is what i envision myself of doing. i'll accept being underpaid/underworked at my current job, and contribute to OSS i find useful. and if something good comes of it, cool, if not, whatever man i guess ill die a poorass softwaredev
jesus christ user, just practice leetcode easy/medium for a few months, you'll be able to pass the interview if you are competent. Get yourself the 200k+ jobs

>teams of 1-3 college dropouts in charge of an entire platform.
u mad?
t. dropout who's making more than you in terms of money and code output

Holy shit dude I'm sorry I triggered you. I was helping this guy bitch about his troubles a little bit by empathizing with him and letting him know he's not alone in this world, but I respect your need to assert that programming is super easy because of your incalculable intelligence quotient.

>u mad?
>t. dropout who's making more than you in terms of money and code output
Not at all, in fact I'm one of those tiny starup college dropouts myself. I just find the situation ridiculous, there's no reason for Google, etc to put interviewees through the bullshit they do.

>why do they expect me to regurgitate CS fundamentals

Because they're also the fundamentals of the job you moron

Just do what I do, write down the names of every person in the company that rejected you then go a suicidal murder spree killing everyone because fuck this industry the only thing I have left to look forward to is death.

Attached: it didn't have to be this way.jpg (750x741, 315K)

>small startups often hire with little to no whiteboarding fizzbuzz bullshit
This makes me smile a bit and remember my first job. Only 1 interview which almost exclusively consisted of me chatting with the interviewer, who was another engineer, about the technology and alternatives. On the job I was basically given free reign as long as it worked at the end of the day. Absolutely fucking awful for learning about working in a team or any other that other enterprise stuff, but I had to learn a lot on the job.

Actual employed webdev (at a startup) here,

I can confirm that I have dropout level programming knowledge, but am in charge of WAY TOO MUCH. Not only is the whole fucking platform in your hands, but so are the hopes and dreams of the god damned CEO, and that's just too much for someone with no experience and no skill like me. Holy shit they need to fire me ASAP.

not OP but i think i lack the study skills to do this desu. im ok with my current job, but also suck at whiteboarding. i do best when companies give me like a weekend assignment to complete. it seems more realistic anyway

you'll never make it user, the crash that's coming will hit startups/lower rungs hard.

not for 90% of webdev jobs yet they still drill you as if they are in Silicon Valley when in actuality they just need an OOP code monkey they could pay 50K a year

>that's just too much for someone with no experience and no skill like me
Just like don't accept the job, dude

because once you're hired, you'll be a number. nobody will know you (perhaps your closest cubicle/open space neighbour) and everybody needs to cover their ass, so if you ever shit something up, the HR will come around saying "not my fault, look, he passed the accredited test"
welcome to bureaucracy. it's what normies vote for day in day out, better get accustomed to it.

is that dog boy okay?

> spend hours refining an anti-whiteboard homework assignment, very realistic UI prototype
> spent just as long reviewing applicant code as thoroughly as if it were a real pull request
> managers throw my feedback out and hire the wrong person anyway

the only way to keep yourself sane in this industry is to just abandon any sense of pride or ownership in your craft and coast on these fucking paychecks.

I have no idea. The idea of whiteboarding and quizzing over algorithms you will rarely need to implement yourself or concern yourself with is just stupid. Makes me glad the company I work at we just talk to the candidates in depth about their experience, they're process, etc.

They all have these rigorous interviews despite the fact that most of the day to day work is hardly complicated at all.

Honestly Google kind of has to do this shit to find decent employees. The only other options would be face to face talk about your resume interviews, where chad brogrammers can easily lie their way through and shit the job up, or give you a take home project that gums up the process of interviewing a lot. It's the most efficient way of separating the tards from those who at least care enough to know CS concepts for an interview. It fucking sucks and isn't relevant, but it's kind of the most efficient of the many evils.

Attached: 03D2A97864D0491A98B1F8BA3ED3AC3F.jpg (280x280, 27K)

This this this

Programming at a real job is fucking awful and Jow Forums has no idea because they're all programming sock wearing truck drivers. Being in industry annihilate any passion you have for programming.

Because for most large companies, the whole process is just a gigantic masturbation session to make the staff feel smart and important.

Whiteboard interviews are completely unrelated to any day to day work you will do as a developer.

>software dev
programmer

>Needing to study for interviews
If you weren't stupid and actually knew how to program, you wouldn't need to.