Hey anons. I've been a Windows user for years now and I really want to switch to Linux. However...

Hey anons. I've been a Windows user for years now and I really want to switch to Linux. However, I'm not sure which distro I should use. I see a lot of people on here using Arch and Debian, so I was thinking between those two. However, I also heard that Arch is rather difficult to install. So, anons, what would you recommend to a windowsfag?

Sorry in advance if this is asked a lot. I'm pretty new to Jow Forums so I would like some advice on this. Thanks!

Attached: windows background.jpg (2048x1152, 79K)

Dude just go back to windows 7

Soz but no can do chief. I'm looking to move on from windows but need to know where to start.

>move on from windows
I was never this young.

Manjaro

install gentoo

I switched to Ubuntu Mate too see what it's like as a daily driver. So far, all good. I just some nigger boomers reading this thread to give some ricing advice.

Even though you typed this while having a stroke, I appreciate the advice. However, I have very little interest in Ubuntu. Thanks

I'll look into these as alternatives. Thanks

Seconding Manjaro. Linux Mint isn't a horrible choice either but I always found Manjaro and Arch in general to have the best compatibility with my hardware.

Thanks user. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of mint, but I may just have to give it another try.

Don’t start with either arch or debian, they’re designed for people who know how to edit config files and tinker to get them just right. Horrible starting place for beginners and it will put you off.

I would suggest Kubuntu as a good starting place.

Oh God don’t install Manjaro you’ll never use Linux again.

Read through the responses to this thread ‘what is the worst gnu/Linux district you have ever used’ especially stuff like this post

Manjaro is the most frequent worst distro. It’s trash.

Stick with one of the *buntus

How knowledgeable does one need to be in order to fully utilize those features?

fuck these two clowns and their reddit spacing, install fedora op it's a very stable distribution, not too difficult for a newbie too - at some point though you want to move to arch or parabola because that's what the cool kids use

I saw the thread and was about to look through it, but I didn't think it would have exactly the information I wanted. However, since you mention it now, I think I'll check it out. Thanks

I was wondering about stability. How important is it when it comes to Linux distros? I see tons of people talk about stability when it comes to distros but what does it really mean for a distro to be "unstable"?

if you got some time, try and install arch. It'll force you to understand how gnun/linux systems work and what their made of and how to configure them. Might be annoying at the beginning but in the long run its useful stuff

Holy shit dude start with xubuntu

Pretty much any Ubuntu based distro is good, Kubuntu or KDE Neon will probably feel more familiar to you. Debian is pretty standard but it has a bit of a steeper learning curve, you will have to do at least a bit of reading and should stick to the stable version. Stay away from Arch.

With fedora you can be sure that some random updates won't fuck your system up entirely just because you did not feel like reading 5000 pages of manuals before hitting yes (which is not always true for arch), another thing that is great about fedora (some may disagree) is that repositories are usually up to date and well maintained (I haven't experienced any serious issues in quite a while now) it is also backed by redhat (which recently was bought by IBM so you can be sure that the distro stays relevant for the upcoming years)

what makes you say this, user? Some other people are comin up with valid points

Also recommend Xubuntu or better yet, Kubuntu for winfags

Well take mouse tapping for example. If you use Debian it’s never a default option because of libtouch fuckery, so you have to create the file in /etc/X11/x11.conf.d/40-libsomethingorother.conf and then manually enter the touch settings. It’s not hard, but there are a hundred little things you need to do on Debian like that before it’s comfy.

It’s easily the best distro IMO, but not a good starting place.

so it seems like the consensus is to start on some version of Ubuntu and eventually work up to Debian, from which I can go to Arch with enough confidence. Does this sound right?

>falling for the Linux meme

>Xfce

LIPSTICK
ON
A
PIG

what OS do you use user?

Dos

manjaro or ubuntu

Once you’re on Debian there’s no need to switch. It’s most people last distro.

People switch to Debian from arch.

based DR-DOS / FreeDOS poster
fuck MS-DOS

is Arch just a niche distro then? It seems like people either complain about Arch or rave about it in threads

Mint is fun. If you want a Windows-like Linux you should try out Mint. You don't even have to install it, you can try it from a bootable USB.

I've spent some time with mint and it was alright. I'm not too big of a fan of it, but I could just need to try it again desu.

There's also Arch, if you like tinkering with your distro. I woulndn't recommend it if you want to get stuff done, though. For that, I'd recommend something like CentOS or Ubuntu or Fedora.
I like Linux Lite the most, though.

Same, I just went back to Debian testing after that. It's a decent starter, imo.

A lot of anons here made Debian sound difficult to an extent. What are your thoughts on the difficulty of it?

It’s an OK distro but it’s more a meme than anything.

Try Manjaro aka Arch for Die Untermenschen. It's decent and you will install Arch later, trust me.

It's "lower level" than Ubuntu or Mint, but has great support. It also doesn't come pre-configured with bloat that slows down your system like the others. Difficulty-wise, if you can get around in Ubuntu, you'll have no problem with Debian. You usually don't need to tinker around with it much, either.

like this?

Attached: Arch_Comic_1.png (650x4377, 871K)

Not him, but Debian isn’t hard, desu no Linux distro is hard. It’s just you need a deeper understanding of how gnu/Linux works if you want to configure something like Debian or arch than you do with Ubuntu, for example. It’s just little bits of tinkering here and there, but if you don’t know the functionality exists you wouldn’t know what to tinker with.

I used Debian XFCE, and its barebones compared to KDE. After a bit of tinkering, you can make it look nice and modern. Debian Stable is just for server stuff, wouldn't use it as a daily driver. Currently using Debian Testing, nothing has broken yet and up to date packages, not like SID but... its good for daily use.
Basically Debian is for those who want to config/tinker a bit more than just stock ubuntu. I never really liked ubuntu, preferred debian instead (might try xubuntu tho)

So you're saying that I should start simple with Ubuntu and once I get how GNU works on at least a basic level, I could move to debian?

>Manjaro is decent

Kek

What's the difference between the different -buntus, like Ubuntu vs Xubuntu vs Kubuntu?

>making xfce look modern

LIPSTICK. ON. A. PIG.

It is, if you are too stupid to install the real Arch. Tell me a better distro.

Different Desktop Environment
Dunno what to tell you, it does look like ass when you install it

this

Are the differences between DEs mainly visual, or is there more to it than I'm seeing?

Fedora or Ubuntu
Fedora if you plan on using GNOME DE.
Ubuntu if you plan on using any other DE.
Not Linux Mint, it's adware.
Not any Arch-based distro, those are nightmares to deal with for first-time users.
NOT GENTOO.
I've heard good things about OpenSuse, but I've had serious problems with it on my computer, so tread lightly. Same with Debian.

Ubuntu comes loaded with blood

Xubuntu uses the xfce desktop environment. Which looks hideous in my opinion but is pretty low on ram.

Kubuntu used KDE, which is pretty. There is a minimal install option too, which is nice.

Lubuntu uses LXDE which is super light weight, for toasters. Looks about as good as xfce.

Ubuntu mate uses the Mate DE. Which is pretty. Ubuntu budgie uses the budgie DE.

That’s all the difference. I’d say go for Kubuntu minimal. KDE is pretty. Pic related, Debian KDE.

Attached: 9CADB5C2-FD65-48BA-B886-E8CB11C1D79D.png (1366x768, 1.11M)

Usually pre-installed applications, or what Jow Forums calls bloatware. I liked KDE, but I don't use like 90% of their shit... and their "Discover" manager is biggest piece of shit ever.

This is real good information. Thanks user!

Looks like I'm gonna lean towards Kubuntu thanks to you anons. Well, thanks for all the help, anons. I've gotta sleep now. God speed

Mainly visual. Nonetheless, it is an extremely important choice; make your decision carefully.
I recommend KDE (Kubuntu), as it is the only good DE. KDE is highly customizable and all around a good chocie for everyone (my KDE looks like a mac). Gnome doesn't even have desktop icons and is bloated as hell, Xfce and LXDE is ugly af, and Cinnamon is sparcely supported, with Linux Mint (the distro the DE is made for) being adware.

Yeah no problem, KDE is probably more people's style,and the user above me said its customization. Yes that is true, install latte dock... if you care about docks.
Shit, use i3 if you want to use it

Literally anything. It’s a meme distro based on a meme distro. I installed Manjaro on my ThinkPad and fucking hated it.

>Closing the laptop lid caused some retarded screen issue, managed to fix it
>Installed the most recent (((proprietary))) GPU driver, somehow installing catalyst fucked Whisker menu, and it lost my config
>Graphics performance somehow managed to be worse
>Uninstall and reinstall free drivers
>Things seemed ok
>Few days later random crash while Pacman -Syu
>Have to hard reset as nothing is doing anything
>Whoops looks like it somehow managed to corrupt lightDM and I have a cli only system now
>Use LiveUSB to recover light DM, recovery and repair seems to go well reboot
>Whoops looks like grub is now fucked and you have no efi partition

And that's when I reinstalled Xubuntu

Fuck Manjaro. If you're going to make a "just wurks" distro, make it actually work

I used manjaro for a few months and I never had those issues. I was using i3.
>Xubuntu
user...

You haven’t been using it long enough then. My favourite new Manjaro retardation is here

>Manjaro once decided to remove my fucking swap partition for no reason after restoring from hibernation. I have no idea how it managed it, and I couldn’t extend my home logical volume with lvm to use the extra space. It just disappeared. Manjaro literally ate my fucking disk space.

>Had to end up creating a swap file until other Manjaro issues caused me to find a non-shit distro

Arch linux good distro for newbies. Try it. Neofetch + anime wallpaper.

>using swap
Holy shit, what the fuck is wrong with people?

Yes

Even if you don’t want a swap partition, you should always have at least a swap file.

Jesus Christ manjaro what the fuck...

Try out TempleOS.

Yes.

Manjaro , works alot better than ubuntu for me. And it's more up to date

Install Manjaro.

>However, I'm not sure which distro I should use.
Windows.

I kinda like Kali Linux its good for coding and pen testing

Manjaro is retarded and everyone who shills it is too.