Planning to buy a new router. Mainly for constant online work/gaming. Currently have an Archer C2 but it keeps hanging...

Planning to buy a new router. Mainly for constant online work/gaming. Currently have an Archer C2 but it keeps hanging. I'm on an extremely tight budget, so was wondering what's the best replacement.

Saw the wiki, and thought c7 might fit the budget criteria (pic related)

Also what's a dedicated router and how much of a difference does it make?

Attached: Screenshot_20181111-150904__01.jpg (1080x1100, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o-g2P3R84dw
omnia.turris.cz/en/
aliexpress.com/item/chink-router/32796658872.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

try this

Attached: RT-AC5300-5.jpg (920x620, 174K)

TP link are hot garbage. Why you'd buy 2 in a row is beyond my comprehension

What would you recommend then? Note this was the best I could find for under $50

>under $50
I have no recommendations for that.

This.

I have a TL-WN8200ND and it keeps disconnecting (Win10 ain't helpint either). But bricc house walls are thicc and no other antenna gets wifi through them :(

tp link is fine and that c7 is good

What's the cheapest one you can recommend?

don't listen to them, the archer is good

This. Recently bought an Archer C20 and it's been running without issues so far.

Attached: 5987044-1408130290-e6d18.jpg (1965x1107, 108K)

Stay away from TP-link for anything other than simple stuff like cable modems and dumb switches.

I would buy a TM-AC1900 when they go on sale for like $40 and go through the steps to flash it to tomato or openwrt, I have one and it's been great so far.

Attached: 1535077931762.jpg (310x229, 22K)

I currently have a c2 that keeps hanging every 5 minutes, so I understand why he's telling me not to get tp link, but if y'all say c7 is a better product then I guess I'll go for it

I'd personally shoot for a router that can use some flavor of Tomato, the C5's and C7's are either DD-WRT or OpenWRT last time I checked/owned a C5, and neither of them like to play nice with the radio, and tend to shit themselves under load after a while on all but the most ancient firmwares, making it absolutely pointless in 2018. Modern DD-WRT especially is a hollow shell of it's former self, and that being the most functional firmware means you're gonna miss out on some of the essentials that makes a custom firmware worth it

A used R6400 should be crazy cheap by now and runs modern Tomato builds perfectly, and Advanced Tomato should be very set-and-forget for your budget. It has all of the fun meme features everyone suggests natively: DNScrypt, internal adblock and Tor, and lots of other fun shit you probably don't need

TP-Link

more like

TP-LINK FOR MY BUNGHOLE

Also, before someone suggests one, ASUS routers do NOT last, they'll die just for the hell of it, and it's mostly because the CFE just tends to corrupt after a while for no reason. It happened to two of mine just out of the blue, both on and off Merlin, and it's the type of major fuck-up a serial cable can't fix, because there's no way to restore the CFE over serial. Either way, their consumer routers have god-awful QC, and while those T-Mobile RT-AC68U's are surprisingly the most hardy, they cost a fortune because they're the hot meme router, but again, the R6400 is cheap way to get literally the exact same router, only with Netgear's name on it, they're both 1Ghz BCM4708's, and also have the exact same 5Ghz radio if you need fast wifi

nvm listen to this guy, didn't realize the TM-AC1900s were hard to find

Checked out R6400 getting new on sale for $80, and I would've gone for it, but there are so many negative reviews. Is there a single router or there that doesn't face similar problems? I think all routers drop WiFi, hang, have issues with boot time etc

those people are talking about the base firmware

if you replace it with anything else most of those issues go away

flash your C2 to openwrt, it's pretty dank.

dont just buy one with like 8 antennas and 500 lan ports. watch this vid first
youtu.be/o-g2P3R84dw
bufferbloat is the most important aspect to keep in mind

The problem with c2 is it keeps hanging not sure if it's a processor issue. But I need to log into my router, disconnect and reconnect and it works properly for sometime. I've also noticed it's prone to hanging more if I play online games, or other internet intensive work. Will openwrt solve these issues?

dont just buy one with like 8 antennas and 500 lan ports. watch this vid first
youtu.be/o-g2P3R84dw
bufferbloat is the most important aspect to keep in mind

Whatever you go with, don't use power line adapters, they'll fuck up your whole network

why?

Power lines were never designed to transmit high frequency data, essentially it turns your house/room in one huge antenna which will disrupt other signals

>Currently have an Archer C2 but it keeps hanging.
Install OpenWRT on it.

You too.

citation needed

yeah, TPlink's default firmware is absolute trash.

What's wrong with TP-Link? i've been using their cheapo wifi cards for years and never had any major issues

wifi cards dont have much in the way of firmware, and yeah their hardware is pretty damn great for the price.

their router firmware is absolute garbage though, thankfully most of their stuff is Qualcomm Atheros and they're one of the few manufacturers _not_ jewing hard on flash and RAM, so flashing OpenWRT is fairly painless

There's nothing particularly wrong with their hardware, and with wifi cards you're pretty much dealing with the hardware and the proper drivers for that hardware.
The problem is more the software on the routers, which is customized by TP-Link. Poor choices in limits can lead to very disappointing results that can be solved purely in software.

Most of what holds back cheapo routers is the software on them, not their hardware. Third party software solutions, like OpenWRT, can solve this.

omnia.turris.cz/en/

Whats are decent router brands then? I'm using a Sagemcom right now because that's the supplied device with my ISP

That C7 is hardly a budget router, but it has really good Wifi, currently running openWRT on it, pic related is my memory usage with a handfull of GBe/5Ghz clients.

However if Wifi or looks is not a priority you can get something like this aliexpress.com/item/chink-router/32796658872.html which is far superior than any consumer router on the market, you can add your own msata Wifi cards (or 3g modem) later and install any x86 OS you want. Also with that CPU encrypting or analyzing traffic is not a problem.

Attached: Screenshot_20181111_082843.png (551x163, 10K)

Mikrotik

Stop pushing this stupid meme, have you _seen_ Winbox? Also, they're not immune from vulnerabilities, and there are no inherent advantages from using a different software stack on the same damn hardware everybody's using.

OP, the C2 is fine, and you can get a C7 which is also fine though superseded in the price category by the Mi Router 3G/4, but the _first_ thing you should do is just go install OpenWRT. It's great.

I have an archer c7, been using it for a while and I had no complaints. I like that it has night mode, which turns the lights off at a customizeable time of day, not that they're a big issue because they don't blink in the first place.
Oh, and the WAN light turns orange when there's no internet connection, I love that.

Put custom firmware on it, I got a 1043ND and it just wasn't stable with the stock firmware, been rock stable since I put OpenWRT on it.

>Mi router
>No gigabit on most of them
>barely any ports on most of them
>chink firmware that requires you to use their botnet app

No thanks.

Unironically using FRITZ! Box, gets the job done.

c7 ain't too bad but still wouldn't recomend it as your main router.