Fedora newbie

Currently installing f28 design suite to get away with botnets
I m a newbie i never had any linux experience before
What do i need to know and to do anons ?
>pic unrelated

Attached: Screenshot_20181110-211543~2.png (559x1010, 704K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rpmfusion.org/
negativo17.org/
flathub.org/home
software.opensuse.org/package/mpv
archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/mpv/
packages.debian.org/sid/mpv
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unless you want to be a hardcore freetard, add RPM Fusion.
rpmfusion.org/

Is that a penis bulge?

Just install opensuse leap, use packman for codecs and move on.

If you want fedora way, use gnome wayland for security, install brave browser(to watch non free videos on youtube) and mpv/vlc flatpak to run non free videos in your machine.
So you don't need to install or add any third party repo.

This is useful thanks

Jesus fuck. If it's your first time on Linux just use Linux Mint for a year before jumping onto a distribution made for enterprise/professionals/powerusers.

Go big or go home fag

this

Fedora user here, Fedora is my first Linux distro too.
It just werks and any issue is easily solved just by googling it

>Enable free and non-free rpm fusion
If you want to install fusion packages via GUI, update core after you enable the repos.
>sudo dnf groupupdate core
Install non-free video and sound codecs.
>sudo dnf groupupdate sound-and-video
>sudo dnf groupupdate multimedia
Maybe do a group install of devel tools too.
>sudo dnf groupupdate development-tools.
If you have a new-ish NVIDIA card, you may also want to enable the NVIDIA graphics drivers repo.

As already said, install the rpmfusion free & nonfree repos initially. That way you get all the things that aren't included because of licensing issues etc.
Once you're more comfortable with linux you can actually manage without those but by then you'll understand the tradeoff.
In general you should try to use free software exclusively for a while, and only go back to the proprietary software you're used to only if you can't do without it. You'll quickly find out that beyond the philosophical reasons why you would prefer free software, proprietary software is just badly integrated into the OS and you'll run into needless trouble.
By the same reasoning, try to stick to the free drivers bundled into to the kernel for your GPU unless you REALLY want to play games. You'll have an infinitely easier time.
That being said, you will probably want to install these repos negativo17.org/ to conveniently install stuff like spotify or steam or whichever of that crap you may need. Another alternative is flatpak which I cbf explaining what it does.

Just look at the all the work you have to go through to get started on your computer. OP just stick to Windows. Learn a useful skill or focus on a real hobby. An OS is a piece of software you have to USE your PC (read: hardware). Windows has the most support in terms of drivers, software, games, etc. You'll regret it. I regret spending anytime at all on Linux. You get nothing out of it. It's great for specific purposes like running a server, or because you're developing specifically for Linux (say on an embedded system) but until that scenario comes up just stick to Windows. I am saying this so you don't waste your time.

There's tons of shit you have to do on a fresh windows install as well. When you know how to do it, a linux system is actually much faster to maintain because all the updating is done through the package manager, not through every program's different autoupdater.
Also fedora isn't the most straight forward distro, ubuntu or mint just work with configuring anything.
You're just looking at it from the eyes of someone with 10 years of experience on windows and 2 weeks on linux. There's so many hoops you have to jump through on windows, you just don't realize it because you're so used to it.

1. rpmfusion for more useful packages
2. install and enable fedora-workstation-repositories for chrome
3. tlp for battery and power saving
4. thinkfan if you installed on a thinkpad (use the arch wiki to help you setup)

if-not-true-then-false.com has a lot of useful fedora-specific tutorials

why 28 when 29 is the newest release?

Anyway, everyone else has already told you the most important one, adding RPM Fusion repos.

Fedy is almost always a must on a fresh install. Adds RPM fusion, and a few other small repos, makes it way easier install applications you'll want and runs tweaks like font rendering improvement.

learn selinux or learn how to disable it

Well how about installing F29?

>f28
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

>Fedy is almost always a must on a fresh install. Fedy didn't work for me on 29. Not even sure if it's supported anymore, which would be a shame if that's the case.

>Just look at the all the work you have to go through to get started on your computer.
Really dude? It's literally three commands to install codecs. You'll spend more time on Windows installing your fucking drivers.

Attached: 1510339516086.jpg (267x297, 13K)

what are you onto retard my first linux was arch and then I moved to Fedora. just werks

what the fuck is a fedy. F29 is my first fedora and so far I've only added nux and rmpfusion if I remember right

The've made Fedora much more noob friendly.
On 29 you don't really have to touch the command line if you don't want to. Installing RPMFusion and third-party drivers can all be done via the software center now, just like Mint and Ubuntu.

In my opinion you don't need RPM fusion unless the default repos don't have what you need. Definitely good to have though, it's your choice to install it or not.
Also keep Fedora Copr in mind, there's a lot of good software there too (such as i3-gaps!)
Fedora has been my daily driver for years now, you made a good choice user

I mean... The Fedora installation process is a lot simpler than the Windows install process. And it is shorter. And after that you're pretty much all set, there's no extra configuration you NEED to do.
I would say I so significantly more config on a windows system than ANY linux system (particularly Fedora w/ KDE)

Attached: 1510103360662.jpg (640x640, 66K)

The only thing I don't like about Fedora is the name.

Don't you need RPM Fusion to install MPV and VLC?

yes

>What is flathub

>flathub
Why though?

Windows update does all my drivers.

The peanut gallery here is all over the place. I’m a Fedora 29 user, getting set up for a noob is easier than they make it out to be:
>use 29, 28 is no longer supported
>set up flathub: flathub.org/home
>Fedy is a good tool but it hasn’t updated for 29 yet. Wait until next week to download it.
>Steam is available in the software center on GNOME. Go to software sources in the app menu and enable “RPM Fusion - Steam”.

The vast majority of the things you’ll need are already available on Flathub. With this, you’ll have a system that’s easier to set up on Windows. Also, your desktop needs to be the default (GNOME). Anything else is for autists.

was planning on migrating from arch to rawhide
>mpv not included in fedora's repos
into the trash it goes

software.opensuse.org/package/mpv
archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/mpv/
packages.debian.org/sid/mpv

why doesn't fedora have it?

Attached: images(5).jpg (278x181, 5K)

one can only hope

Just try to work on Linux a d eventually you'll realize x thing does not work the same.

Because of their relatively strict attitude as to what will be accepted in the official repo.
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items

Used Slackware, Fedora Rawhide and Arch Linux. Compiling everything by hand in Slackware was a pain in the ass but it was the most stable updating software and kernel wise.

when I tried to install flatpaks through gnome-software it didn't work or I didn't have the patience to wait to see if it works so I just installed through terminal. You shouldn't care about friendliness if you can read a little bit. But if you are setting a machine for someone else then be sure is Ubuntu or Mint.

28 is supported for 7 months more dude

>tfw fedora is even more strict on free software than debian and still manages to get an usable os

>>mpv not included in fedora's repos
>into the trash it goes.
It's in the RPM Fusion repo you tard. That's why every post here says install RPM fusion.

There are slackbuilds which automate it for you (sbopkg, sbotools), or alternatively you can just look up precompiled packages on google and you can install those. It's a lot easier now.

Go debian testing, not beta tester for redhat

Unlike Debian testing, Fedora is actually stable, i.e. not a rolling release. But easily upgradable.

I'm very satisfied with your response.

Thanks, user!

What the heck are you on about? Are you implying that "rawhide" is stable?

idiot