CS college

So, how is the "meme" degree going?

Attached: 1522609028155.jpg (741x568, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis#Thesis_committee
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

halfway done with embedded systems master, how about you?

Not that good OP.

I failed college

Attached: 1538396698595.jpg (2151x2603, 324K)

All the Arabs, Indians and Chinese cheat off eachother, while whites actually learn and do assignment independently.

>So, how is the "meme" degree going?
Working on a couple of publications now, aiming for defence in late January.

>distributed systems teacher name drops from his time at mit constantly
>spends more time talking about stallman than actually lecturing
i pay $8000 in tuition for this shit

i failed operating systems lab

This. Have arab guy who cheats on all assignments pretty much and I'm pretty sure on exams as well, and he acts like he knows everything, yet he just looks stupid and people dislike him for being an asshole.

>have to do weekly assignments
>need 80 percent on every single one to pass
>teacher is vague as fuck as to what he wants, but still marks everything slightly different from his own style of code wrong
What the fuck man?

>be me
>put CS on hold because really uninterested in all the bullshit after having found a job
>cute girl comes up to me, asking for help with her graduation project
>know I have no chance with her anyway
>"yeah just leave it to me dw"
>now I have to fix her terrible Java project while she's out enjoying life

How can I learn to say no?

>tfw couldn't make it through the first year
english essays make me lose hope in this life
what took you down user?
I'm a bum now, no future ahead, gonna keep wageslaving retail

holy shit.

I'm settling for an Associate's cause I don't want anymore debt but also don't want to dropout with nothing to show for it but debt

it's "not that much debt" according to my family, but any debt is too much.

WELCOME TO COLLEGE. the professor is always right.

>finish CS degree this semester
>5.5 years
>100k debt
But you see senpai. I wasnt a faggot and got an internship. Just signed my return offer that is what these self taught fags cap out at.

Defence is shit user. Aim higher

Excellent. 4.0 student, internship at Bell Labs, now a machine learning engineer at a startup in nyc.

all thanks to my meme degree

It's shitty. I feel like dropping out everyday, but I'm mostly alright. 4th semester here and I'm having trouble with Operating Systems. 80% of chance I'll fail it this semester and will have to retake next year.
Anyone in a similar situation?

Attached: 1522891958069.jpg (1600x1555, 524K)

Defence as in defending my thesis...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis#Thesis_committee

you all are too soft to complete college. you have to toughen up and fight your way through education. professors are sadistic nerds. get used to it!

Maybe if you don't value your time

I almost failed a class in my last quarter of college. I just studied and did really well on the final and got a C

What country are you studying in?

Why do you ask?

It seems to be only meme in some countries.
In Japan, my friends who got CS degree either when to medical and precision, semi-conductor companies (like Shimadzu, Hamamatsu, Sony, Panasonic, etc).
I think CS is a useful and interesting field. Like you can literally programming stepper to rotate some internal organ around sensors and buiding its 3D model.

I gratuated Medicine :3

I go to U Waterloo, a tech uni, but I'm doing an arts degree. Nothing is more meme tier than that.

Attached: 1541614179070.png (784x623, 299K)

finished with no student loans
got the same job and now an even higher paying job for less work than someone who went to more expensive schools.

that hurt me
its not THAT bad.
ok it is that bad.

I'll admit its comfy tho. Arent most defense jobs like, 4 days a week? If their pay wasnt shit I'd be pretty down

I'm about to quit my 40k/year job as a glorified help desk guy to go back to college for a degree specializing in cybersecurity.
Convince me not to. The debt will be negligible (or at least worth it) with my current savings.
I understand that what you learn on the job, or by your own motivation, is vastly more important than any meme material you'll learn in college, but it's nearly impossible to get a job in this field without that piece of paper that says you're qualified, even if you're really not.

Attached: Yuru Yuri - Sakurako thinking on couch.jpg (240x266, 9K)

defending a thesis u dips

really badly, I basically lost the whole year and achieved nothing
but I'm gonna get my shit together now, I'm gonna do 18.01 and 18.06 and maybe cs50 during summer and get me out of my brainlet ways

Attached: 1539654587886.jpg (794x1200, 264K)

ENGLISH IS THE EASIEST PART.

You write on 4chin all day, how can you not pass English with a B.

>teacher says we get extra credit if we find error
>email teacher
>um user you're wrong look again
>don't understand
>ok.png

stallman is an actual looser, no way this is true.

>mfw passed operating systems with flying colors on first try

Attached: 1539507381962.png (1293x1293, 1.61M)

>don't do anything
>delay it as much as possible
>uuuuh, sorry.png i was busy

I was enjoying it-related crap as an hobby. Now 1st year in college and really concidering stopping and taking something like aviation tech, or electronics. IT is starting to annoy the fuck out of me.

>gratuated
ur patients are screwed

Steven, kys

good thing I'm not Steven

My degree is called cyber defense, and I'm not learning shit because my advisor found a way to fill all my requirements with classes I took like a decade ago in a failed attempt to get a CS degree.

My degree is going to be worthless as fuck I'm doing my best to go above and beyond in my easy as fuck classes to try and learn anything. Community college is a joke.

Pic is what happened when I was younger.

It's goood to have some savings as it's really difficult being too broke to even afford coffee but in the scheme of things 40k isn't that much, nor is even 100k.

Pic

Attached: Academic Transcript - birthdate removed.png (1036x2761, 479K)

Finished it some time ago because I am not a filthy zoomer.

Why'd you fail out of CS if you even got a B in calc 2?

I will unironically do this.
Thanks

But if you said you would help her though that's kind of a dick move unless she's a stacy who does these things a lot.

>internship at Bell Labs
this is the dream

i unironically hate you

Shit bro, are you in Central Florida? that looks exactly like my old CC's transcript page.

lol you burned out pretty hard my dude, every class you took after you got calc out of the way should have been fuckin easy in comparison
I hope it was at least because of the housing market crash in 2008 or something

Is Bell Labs still good? Fulltime at IBM Research

Currently a 4.0 senior. I have no idea how people fail.

It appears to be producing worthwhile research. To me, Bell Labs, IBM, and Microsoft research are all working on cool things

English, really? You are one of the nogs writing essays in ebonics aren't you

Or he could do something like "oh, sorry, looks like I won't have the time that I thought I would to work on it. Good luck though." Gets him out of it, and she still has time to work on it so she can't blame him if it goes to shit.

Go to office hours and tell him he is being vague af. Either he will explain shit to you or you go to his chair. You're an adult, act like one

Masters or Phd?

Going pretty well but my schedule next semester is fucked up. Not looking forward to having to take Discrete Math and Biology II at the same time, and I don't have a choice because almost all of my uni's CS classes are full despite being required for my degree.

This.

If I want to be a sysadmin or some other low-hour shit, what certs should I get before I finish college?

Textbook Arab. Do you think they realise people don't like them? Like as individuals.

Pretty good. I just finished my 16-month internship and starting 4th year now. I've more or less been guaranteed a job after I graduate.

Are you in accounting? I have a friend who is still doing the AFM program and for some reason they are grouped in with the Arts Faculty, even though accounting is about the furthest thing from arts that I can think of.

I used to go to Waterloo but found it to be a fucking toxic, soul-crushing environment. Everyone in the CS program was a hyper-competitive asshole, but were usually not very smart, and more often than not they resorted to cheating in order to get ahead. The profs were more like retired industry people rather than academics, so they usually were not keeping up with new research, just tended to teach what everyone already knew. Also most of the student body was Chinese and would actively exclude Caucasians, so the pool of people you had to be friends with was extremely small. After second year, I transferred to the University of Toronto and never looked back. The student body and the profs are both a lot more professional and academically oriented. The PEY at U of T is arguably better than the 4-month co-ops. In my opinion, Waterloo's opinion of itself is highly inflated. They think they're some top tech university like MIT or UC Berkeley, but their research output is pitiful compared to those schools; they remind me more of a glorified community college. So I wouldn't feel bad for doing an arts degree there, sort of comes with the territory.

2008 was not a good year was it?

The right answer is A+ or CCNA or MCSA. But honestly, with Cloud computing taking over IT you're going to go farther and get paid more by mastering Cloud platforms (some offer certification). Go for Cloud Architect, Solution Architect, or DevOps. They usually don't write a lot of code but they handle the higher level system shit, which is delegated through cloud API very commonly now.
You're in college? You might still be able to sign up for AWS Educate for free and get certed.

I don't think Tennessee Tech in in Central Florida my dude

It's going pretty well actually. Managing to maintain a first class grade in my 2nd year of CS without doing too much work, got enough time to work out at the gym and play games daily.

guys is 23 too late to start university?

Depends, if you're studying the same major as me kys

It's never too late. My grandma got her bachelor's in her late 20s

Funny, I had one in my school in PA as well. We also had an Indian who was the exact same way, except he was dumber than the Arab and got caught and expelled.

how are you even alive if your grandma is 30

Sort of the same deal with my dad. He actually started out as an auto mechanic before going back to school around the age of 26. He was 31 by the time he graduated with a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. In my program, we actually had someone who was around that age just STARTING.

I always laugh at the Jow Forums threads where people complain that 22 is too late to start College

CS is a meme
CE is where it's at

i'm failing scripting with powershell

help?

its fun, since my college doesn't suck at assigning us projects to code.

Attached: 1535761798154.jpg (533x800, 118K)

delid this
>wanting competition for ur shitty ass major

Imagine being a CS plebian instead of s EE supreme master race ,Id kill myself :^)

*snap* cringey

same. Most jobs want experience to show for college. It's better to get that instead of a useless bachelors where it isn't needed.

cyber security is nice. How much do you have saved up?

English is very easy. The math kills most people/

Reminds me of this guy at school
>is a tutor who just sits around the math learning center handing out life and school advice to freshmen like he knows it all
>Couldn't even do an easy adder lab in verilog
>went so far as to try to steal old files from the lab computers and badger my friend hours after we turned it in
>still continues to give life advice and brags about getting extra time for tests because "'"'"'disabilities"'"'"'

I may have sucked at all my classes, but building an adder from a truth table is easy as shit. And it's even easier to just type "adder" into Google and translate the first picture that comes up into verilog

I have a MSc, so I'm doing a PhD.

Discrete is not hard

Wish I took Biology or Chemistry instead of Physics. I find physics p hard.

I have a degree in "Latino-centric" studies. Any questions about "meme" degrees?

I'm dropping the MA for a bootcamp. I'm saving myself from working in McDonalds even if I'll get to be "only" a frontend, I'll be grateful. The only job with that degree would be tutoring and "teaching" in pre-elementary school.

My school was filled with Asians. Most of the Indians were cool and a few Arabs that were actually Americans were cool as well. All of the Chinese/Koreans cheated on everything when not smoking. You could always tell when a c++ lab took me like 40 minutes and they were all still ching chong bing bonging at each other about how to make their code look different from each other and the professor looked pissed every time he/she had to help them with something

why did you waste your money on that?

any particular reason you're going into research? am current britfag MSc student, thinking of doing same

Anyone got an internship lined up for this summer? I'll be at Bloomberg in NYC.

>why did you waste your money on that?
Euro.
"Too smart for school" left me with poor scores on our counterpart of SAT. Now, I got the top grade on my diploma, anyways. 2 fair, not nepotism-practicing professors told me to drop out and that they'll give me recommendation for adult school for computer oriented stuff as it'll be better for me as they know they won't be able to help me to stay in academia and that probably I could aim higher for more ambitious stuff with my capabilities.

With my grades, I was able to participate in an exchange program to some Latin American countries, but I declined, because I'm too poor to waste money. For rich kids it's an attraction, but for me it was a huge expense with nothing received in terms of employability. At the bootcamp at least I can talk with people who work in the field. Some offer part-time jobs for the best participants.

Can confirm, all the brown people at my uni work together in groups of 5+ in labs

>Waterloo for arts
Holy shit, you could've probably gone to u of t
Pathetic

I am brazilian and this happens here too.
In uni, I know a group of guys who always copy each other code to the teeth.

>any particular reason you're going into research?
I'm not, I'm started working at the company I did my PhD in collaboration with in September and got about three-four months of my PhD left.

The reason I went for a PhD is simply that the jobs I got with a MSc were mostly boring and menial.

Nah, he should make the bitch get screwed.