Imagine being an Xfce dev

Imagine being an Xfce dev.
You and a couple other dudes have slaved away (for free) for years porting everything Xfce to the abomination that is Gtk3. It has been very frustrating but you're finally almost done... And then Gnome's nu-devs deprecate all of Gtk3 in favor of the shiny brand new Gtk4 (it's totally different and breaks everything with it's new "paradigms" btw). They won't accept any patches to Gtk3 and you're left with a turd in maintenance mode.

I guess it really takes an autist to do such things

Attached: xfce.png (1200x1200, 331K)

>xfeces
but if i were one of them, i would just port it to Qt
just like lxqt

Based mouse, how can we help (significantly, not just by slaving away too)?

>xfce

LIPSTCK
ON
A
PIG

gnome and gtk in general are the reason people don't adopt linux on desktop. Can't blame windows people being shocked by how barebones and inefficient it is.

I supose their wizardly level is way higher than mine, but it if were me I would used the porting to create abstraction layers to change to qt or whatever in case this happened.
I sure hope they did, it's my favorite DE

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

>And then Gnome's nu-devs deprecate all of Gtk3 in favor of the shiny brand new Gtk4
source?

GTK doesn't support API from one version to the next one. People should not use such tools made by amators.

>amators

Use the bounty system to pay them money for fixing issues or adding features.

I wish I had boatloads of money, I'd just bankroll XFCE to port to QT and develop all their shit there. Fuck GNOME and fuck GTK.

gtk is the standard

I thought Gnome is easy for normies?
It's basically a freetard version of OSX isn't it?

Remember normies don't care about customization.

Who gives a shit, either switch to QT or make a new fucking toolkit. GTK is also firmly in the stranglehold of GNOME and RedHat and they're developing it to fit their needs, and their needs only, deliberately deprecating shit that they don't use to further the gap between them and other DE's. Fuck them and I hope they all die in hellfire.

>It's basically a freetard version of OSX isn't it?
It wishes it was.

They don't deserve a correct spelling, they're a plague.

It tries to look like it yes, but it's:

>Slower
>Uses far more resources
>Has retarded defaults (doesn't sort directories first)
>doesn't have any kind of trackpad/gesture use like osx
>no thumbnails in filepicker
>Single Click to open requires dconf-editor
>Has retarded padding and scaling making it useless on small/mid resolutions.
>Doesn't have icons on Desktop (I always turn them off, but jfc)
>Icons are shit

And there's more I just can't remember.

Both GTK and Qt are extremely awful in their own ways.
Someone needs to write a UI toolkit which doesn't fucking suck.

Attached: 1406803019377.jpg (1280x720, 103K)

Yet everyone follows gtk no matter what. The top normie distro (Ubuntu) still uses GNOME as a standard desktop. Most DEs are based on GNOME/gtk. So, cry more. Nothing will change.

wx

Sepples garbage, and just a wrapper over other UI toolkits, inheriting their shit.

First time hearing about xfce and it sounds fucking stupid. Why are they trying to make a desktop when they can’t even make their own widget toolkit? Just use gnome, that’s what Linus uses.

Why are you trying to write user interfaces in c++anyway, that’s what HTML is for

Who said anything about Sepples? That language is fucking shit, which is the primary reason why Qt is shit.

In that case there is Tcl/Tk.

We should just all use GNUstep.

never gets old

GNOME Devs are the fucking cancer of Linux.

honestly I bbelieve Linux needs consolidation.
Every other user enviroment is developed by one company and is interanlly consistent and works with itself and it's components
On linux you have X, Wayland, KDE apps, GNOME apps, different window managers and all thos heaps of shit that don't work with each other.

To provide a competitive experience to the user with proper scaling, no screen tearing and so on somebody needs to consolidate control over development.

Or else people will abandon it to Fuchisa once that comes out and I bet my ass it will have a de that does scale to high resolution and doesn't suffer screen tearing

>somebody needs to consolidate control over development
At that point you might as well just use something else.

I have high hope for google's Fucksya
It indeed is an evil botnet but i expect it to be less fucked than Windows.

>GNOME apps
Name 3 that are not part of gnome itself.

And that's a shame because multimonitor scaling applies only to them.

>And that's a shame because multimonitor scaling applies only to them.
I don't understand scaling

I have something like 230PPI screen and simply changing the font size in xfce is more than enough for me.

we don't have these issues on windows.

You have many other issues, though.

Posted from my 3.5p DDR4 retina display running "dusty keyboard" Mojave.