For those who don't know, on friday GNU icecat left pre release and the stable releases for icecat ESR 60.3 is now available. Are you going to upgrade Jow Forums?
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2018-11/msg00000.html
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/BROWSER.md
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Helpers)
github.com/gdriggs/icecat-win64
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Heck yeah!

Might be good.

I still don't understand how a GNU project has such a good logo.
But yeah, I'm upgrading once it's available in the repos.

so this thing basically never gets security updates

How easy is this to use for a brainlet?

it's literally firefox with extra privacy OOB. If you can use FF, you can use icecat.

so its GNU rustcat now

Waiting for it to reach the repos

Attached: Waiting.png (630x330, 44K)

Depends, does it support my favourite addons such as ublock origin and umatrix?

Yes it does. You don't even have to use the default extensions if you do not wish to.

Do I have to compile them or does it support them OOTB like regular firefox?

Just install it like you're using firefox. Icecat is based off firefox and results should be exactly the same. Maybe an obscure addon might work funny, but I don't know about that.

Just an advice: if you install icecat, disable GNUJs

Brief guide into installing IceCat for the completely clueless github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/BROWSER.md

>if you install icecat, disable GNUJs
Even after years GNUJS still doesn't work properly and can break a ton of sites.

maybe thats because many sites use nonfree js

How do I build from source because all this is confusing?

Just install precompiled nigga

I usually like to pretend I'm a famous developer and other people's code is mine when compiling.

>disable js*
ftfy

If you are using Fedora, GuixSD or Void Linux, they already have a package for it. Otherwise install the precompiled version or use your distribution package guidelines to build it.

Do I have to do anything special? Can I just pacman -Syu and get the update cause I dont know whats the big deal otherwise

IceCat is on the AUR

yea I already have it, im just saying when the updates roll out pacman -Syu will grab the updates right?

No, either you use a aur helper to update the aur package (wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Helpers) or check it yourself every time

Oh ok, so just download the snapshot and makepkg again?

Should I pacman -Rns icecat first or should I be ok just letting it overwrite

There should be no problem to override the package

Thx kind sir

Available on Manjaro repositories? I might check it out on Android too

. . . you just extract and run firefox-bin

>all these idiots itt
figures you'd the paranoid bunch

It'll be very soon.

hate to be the goy to ask, but what's the difference between waterfox and gnu icecat?

Icecat isn't compiled on Intel's botnet c++ compiler

Waiting on it

Attached: Screenshot_20181111-153122.jpg (1440x2243, 507K)

Should one compile with GCC or clang now? I mean is the difference noticeable? whats the actual difference

Can some kindanon let us winfags know when a wangblows binary is available?

Winjews and Macshit stopped having support a long time ago.

Use Qutebrowser if youre windows like I am for my gaymen pc

You'll have to compile it yourself because the GNU project stopped offering windows binaries. There are unoffical binaries available so results will vary.
github.com/gdriggs/icecat-win64

Whats better: git or bin?

tarball?

Anyone have screenshots?

Any answers for this? also whats the command to compile with clang

GCC OPTIMIZATIONS
C
C

Well thats why im asking, apparently FF moved from gcc to clang because its optimization is better than gcc for this particular task.

Can someone please elaborate.

Firefox is using fucking rust and they took their own meme too seriously, of course they are going to say that, they want you to use rust!

Probably clang. At this point, clang is pretty clearly driving the compiler sector and GCC is just playing catchup while trying to coast on years of compiler-specific optimizations present in legacy software.

Speaking of fake news

Okay thanks, on the general topic of compilers could you please explain to me whats the general difference between say clang/gcc? What are their respective goals and why is it that in school, we compile with gcc rather than say, clang?

Is gcc just targeted for general use, say your helloworld.c program where clang is used for purposes xyz?

Really confused

Both are for the same general use case. The reason you use gcc in school is because it's been around much longer and clang probably didn't exist or wasn't used when your curriculum was developed or your professor last left his private bubble.
GCC was written in an older era in the history of compilers, and we've learned a lot about how compilers should be structured since then. LLVM was an effort to create a modern and extensible compiler backend because gcc was a horrific mess under the hood and nobody wanted to touch it to build new languages on it. Clang was created as the C/C++ frontend for the LLVM backend, and it turned out that it was nearly as good as gcc. After a short time of tuning and improving LLVM/Clang, it started surpassing gcc, and gcc started copying features and optimizations from clang, which is where we are today. Both compilers perform approximately the same, but new improvements tend to come from Clang devs and then get copied by gcc devs these days.
There are reasons for this, and they mostly stem from the gcc codebase being an unmaintainable mess (though that is improving, thanks to the incorporation of some architectural research that came out of Clang)

The tl;dr is that for now, it doesn't matter which one you use, but Clang is leading the pack from a technological standpoint and nobody knows how much longer gcc can keep up.

TL;DR fake news

It’s not fake news

Very interesting thanks!

>Unmaintanable mess.

I tend to see this term being brought up almost everywhere for packages like Xorg (supposedly being replaced by wayland(?)) in that the project's source code is so horrible that it stifles extensibility.

Why is that? I would have thought that smart people making software and having it still be relevant in this day and age when it was developed decades ago would be smart enough to be clean with the source and plan ahead to make the software easily extendible and comprehensible for future change. I guess my question is, is this just the natural course of software or is it just a coincidence that all this software is just unmaintainable anymore because it was developed when computational science was still naive?

Many large open source projects started a long time ago as small hobbyist projects. They both never expected to grow to their current size, and also weren't developed against the design paradigms that are instilled into developers these days as common sense. It is certainly possible to build software in a way that is maintainable and scalable, but the methods of doing that in the best ways haven't been around forever. Some software was just written before anyone really knew how to write big software because hardly any of it existed. You see a lot of replacements going on these days (Wayland replacing Xorg, Clang replacing GCC, Firefox Quantum replacing the old parts of Firefox like XUL) because people have recognized that maintainability is a known factor nowadays, and we can do better than we could back in the days when it wasn't.

The driving factor, of course, is that we know so much more about software design now than we did a couple decades ago (and we still have a ways to go)

Can someone give me a tldr on what the new option to connect to "tor" is? Whats the point of connecting to "tor", why is it encouraged and how does it work?

I heard somewhere a while ago here that apparently tor is compromised by the fbi/cia so you aren't even truly anonymous on it anymore (whatever it is)

Is it possible to use MinGW to cross compile icecat so that it can work as a windows executible? I'm guess theres more to that else someone would have done it by now

Good sarcasm.

Mac brainlet here. I want to try the browser but they don't share precompiled versions for Windows or macOS.

Windows and mac isnt supported after rougly v45, so unless is possible you literally need a gnu+linux environment

TOR is not compromised.
Is a hammer compromized if it cannot fell a tree? No. Likewise as long as you use TOR smart, avoid honeypots, and use CommonSense(2018 Pro) you should be more than safe from FBI. In other words as long as you dont do loli, pedo, bestiality, or anything the FBI would be monitoring actively then you should be more than fine.

you need proprietary tools to compile recent Fireofoxes for windows and osx, such as Visual Studio. FSF refuses to use those, thus no Icecat binaries other than from GNU/Linux. If you grab the source tarball and follow the build instructions from mozilla about how to build FF on windows/osx you should be able to compile it.

what exactly is tor? im getting the feeling its different to a vpn, but what exactly does it do? is it licensed under GPL btw?

So i'll end up needing visual studios? Ive got clang installed but it also seems to depend on visual studios..

TOR is chain-proxy with multi-layered encrypted packets. At each node to/from the end-point in the network, the packet has 1 layer unwrapped and keeps doing this until it gets to the end point.

I dunno how VPN works though, all i know the normie explanation about how it "travels through a tunnel" or some shit like that.

How to install on debian? Its not in the default repositories

Follow github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/BROWSER.md
make sure you verify the GPG signatures before unpacking

The absolute state of Jow Forums.

Attached: 1541523259126.png (800x800, 271K)

What did he mean by this?

>is this just the natural course of software
Mostly this. It's very rare for software to survive changing requirements for decades without turning into an unmaintainable mess.
The exception is software with a well-defined and unchanging purpose, like grep or a lot of other small command-line tools. Those mostly don't go bad. Anything big spoils over time.

Nah, people knew how to write maintainable software for a long time, but they mostly failed at it. There isn't much evidence that people are doing better now. I doubt the average Node project is going to fare better over time than the average C project did back then. Probably it will be worse.

>as root copy and rename folder as /opt/icecat
wat do? I tried that and it says i cant put "/" in filename