Windows dev switching to Linux

I got hired away from MS and I get to use whatever OS/tools I want at the new job. I'm a linuxlet but I can learn anything easily enough. Which distro should I look at using?

>inb4 gentoo

Attached: 1PsZBU06d4Mkh4aXD9olzcg-1.png.jpg (600x450, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/img2tab/okiomov/blob/master/macos_okiomov.sh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install gentoo

Mac OS.

Arch

Unironically.

Attached: apple unix advert.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

>you can expect things to work, and they just do
It just werks

debian

and it does!

Tell that to my macfag coworkers who are afraid to even upgrade their brew packages in fear everything will break again and they'll waste time trying to make their work setup usable again. macOS is marginally better than Windows (besides having possibly the worst interface out there).

void is the best distro but it lacks documentation. if it's a problem, choose arch.

Developers should be rounded up and forced to describe how a device obtains an IP on a network.
Anyone who can't answer should be gassed.

>DHCP
>Dora the explorer
>Discover
>Offer
>Request
>Ack

OP here, I'm a former sysadmin

>forgot image

Attached: dora.jpg (980x490, 66K)

What do you or your work require from an OS and the tools associated with it?
If you are a programmer then gcc/clang+some editor and the man pages are all you'll ever need, all of which are available in every major distro.
I use Debian, it gets out of the way of my work after the initial setup of the environment. But I had enough time to check out different distros and choose the one that responded best to my needs.
I tend to recommend Ubuntu or mint to noobs, but you're not tech illiterate and so it depends on what I asked you previously.

That shouldn't be the job of developers. That sounds like sysadmin/intern stuff.
Make sure the network is up, that's all.

Depends, what are you developing? What do the other members of your team use, and will your choice have an incompatible toolset?
I really like MacOS for work, it's got everything I need and I don't care about bloat or botnet because it's not my laptop.

Whatever most people at your workplace use. Mint or *buntu if you want something that just werks.

Fedora or Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a good choice for everyone, as they have the largest community, and with that, community support. Every package you might want will be available somewhere (often under the form of ppa, alternative repository). One drawback is that they tend to be a little more bloated than others (useless stuff and custom technology).

Fedora is a good choice for developers, as they aims power users and devs. Software like Vagrant, docker, .. are present in the distrib repository and should be up-to-date.

Gentoo/Arch are both time consuming, especially if you're not a confirmed linuxian. They are very good choice to learn inner details of Linux environments, but a poor choice for being quickly productive.
Debian is "Ubuntu without Ubuntu bloat". It's especially stable, but the GUI is less polished than Ubuntu, and packages can be a little old. If you need the last release of your language from 2 month ago, it's not a good fit.

Also, I advise you to try several DE in a virtual machine before chooosing one.
KDE, Gnome, and XFCE are the 3 most important, and each one have its good and bad points.
It can be more important than the distrib selection.

Mint is *buntu without the *buntu handle.

Mainly programming but with some SRE type work, i.e. automating deployment of code to test/production
Dunno what the rest are using, haven't started yet
>just werks
Probably safest, can't justify dicking around with my OS too much
>Hey user, have you finished that project yet? Our go-live is next week.
>No but I wrote a custom driver for the laptop you gave me, now I can finally connect to the wifi

Attached: 1541921739489.jpg (554x439, 106K)

Sage advice, maybe I'll start with Fedora

>Probably safest, can't justify dicking around with my OS too much
I'd imagine your IT department will be happy to set you up, assuming you use the same distro as everyone else.

Ubuntu/Mint is it for you, especially since you won't be having the time to dick around with your OS.
mentioned fedora as suitable for developers. I don't have experience with that particular distro. Won't IBM's buying of Red Hat have consequences, bad or good, for the end user?

Is there a recommended way to go about this that doesnt involve freezing package versions? I am managing a team of macfags and introduced homebrew because it was the best package manager I knew about on the system, though I knew it was kludgy going in.

Offtopic: Kudos to mac os vm script guy from a few days ago for making it super easy to get my own mac environment up for testing.

>IT department
Boy that'd be nice. At MS they just threw hardware at you, if you were too brainlet to set it up you had to go sit in line at TechLink for 3 hours with all the marketing folks who needed help installing Adobe Reader.

>Offtopic: Kudos to mac os vm script guy from a few days ago for making it super easy to get my own mac environment up for testing.
Care to share?

Eventually the acquisition of Red Hat will impact Fedora one way or another, but it will probably not be visible before a year. These things are slow.

FYI: If they allow you to pick your own OS, everyone else will be using Mac. My old company was like this. The only people using Linux were a couple Network guys.
>Don't be an autist on your first day user.

Anything from Debian to Ubuntu suits your programmer's needs.

>im dumping over 90% of my market
SMART

not him; some Jow Forums user shared it, the thread should be still in archives.
github.com/img2tab/okiomov/blob/master/macos_okiomov.sh

Thanks for doing the work for me.
The script doesnt quite do as it advertised (one key OS install), but it worked well for me, with the exception of one hiccup I had to intervene over.

mint cinnamon or elementary OS. The latter is slighly better for programming, it comes with some tools pre-installed.

pure linux without "non-free".

Nice. Thanks.

Just use Ubuntu/Mint. Fuck all these meme distros.

When in doubt Ubuntu/Mint is a good way to go, but the other distros have valid use cases and often times are the only way you can satisfactorily solve a problem, I wouldn't use CentOS even if it were the last distro left in the world, I would however if I were to be employed as a sysadmin. I'll never use LSF as an application programmer, but as a kernel or driver developer I'd consider it a good learning opportunity. You get the drill.