/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %builtin/keyword%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
cheat.sh/
commandlinefu.com/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1541981562433.png (548x476, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-uptodate.en.html
ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool
security-cdn.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates
gc-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love GNU/Linux, and I love you!

Attached: OlQEtpn.jpg (600x700, 57K)

I love you too!

Attached: 1537170965192.jpg (896x792, 491K)

what's a good gtk theme that is not Arc, Numix, Materia, or Adapta?

What does this mean? Where do I put this?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-11 using Notepad++ for git inside cygwin.png (749x164, 8K)

>tfw purposely break things so I can learn to fix it

Attached: 1512898659939.gif (400x225, 401K)

>tfw spend my time actually using my computer as a means to other ends because it takes five minutes to install ubuntu and git pull my configs

reposting because im desperate

im currently using ubuntu 18.04 and i started having wifi issues a month ago
its really weird, like my wifi speed is decreasing overtime

i noticed, when i am downloading something i get full speed at the beginning but at some point i will get really slow average speeds like 9 kB/s

but if i open my network manager (which is wicd) and i click on "refresh" to scan for available networks around me it goes instantly back to normal
unfortunately it lasts only a minute or so before returning to 9 kB/s

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Centrino Wireless-N 2230
vendor: Intel Corporation

what should i do? (i did not have this issue when i freshly installed ubuntu)

Is it true that systemd is probably used for and by the nsa/fbi/cia for malicious purposes? I feel kinda scared the memes are getting to me.... in fact they dont even sound like memes anymore

I have no proof that they do, but systemd is poorly maintained and it seems a new security flaw is found every month. Local or not these are holes in your system until those awful maintainers get around to fixing it. This should be a good enough reason to use a init system

I like your style. see what happens when you delete usr/bin

what's the go to email server nowadays ?

Why are you asking about cygwin in the GNU/Linux thread?
That is dumb winshit.

sigh... what init systems are being used and are free as in freedom, inb4 shepherd?

I dont get why is it that systemd is shipped with almost every distro if its so horrible and bug ridden

why cant some idiot just make a computer that just WORKS

pepecry.jpg

Manjaro freezes after 5 minutes of use, looked around nothing works help pls

Remember when Intel ME was just a meme? I 'member

pic for attention

Attached: giornea_pelliccia.jpg (638x1000, 131K)

>until those awful maintainers get around to fixing it.
yeah same goes for the linux kernel with that whole dirty cow shit they pulled back in 2016.
>The vulnerability has existed in the Linux kernel since version 2.6.22 released in September 2007, and there is information about it being actively exploited at least since October 2016.The vulnerability has been patched in Linux kernel versions 4.8.3, 4.7.9, 4.4.26 and newer.

systemd is literally the same development structure and is just as buggy as the kernel itself. best use windows, don't trust the open source.

>List of systemdless distributions
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd

Slackware, gentoo, void are really popular

Slackare devs needs to maintain one of the package managers its has ASAP. Actually, give Slackware the CRUX package manager and you'll get new users in no time.

sigh man those lack userbase, I cant just trade it off for my arch it has a decent sized following and good active development

is it possible to run arch w/ some other init system, man feels like its just fucking impossible to outrun the botnet, every week theres something else thats just closer to the hardware thats fuckin comprimised, why even own a computer in 2k18

I put an old Linux distribution on my Wii, Debian 5.0 (it was all that was available in Wii-hacked form)
Attempting to update or, for example, install xorg throws a bunch of 301: permanently moved errors, I imagine because the distribution is so old that all the places it thinks the files are are outdated.

How do I change what URLs a Linux distribution looks at when it attempts to update/install a program?

Arch has been losing users since they fell for the systemdmeme tho

pretty simple to do. every good package manager has a source list file somewhere.
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-uptodate.en.html

Ignore the memes and use your computer to actually do stuff. systemd is free software and any obfuscated vulnerabilities aren't going to be revealed just to catch you being a sick fuck. Don't worry about it.

>lack userbase
>not being a user
>not creating a userbase by being the userbase

Attached: pengy.jpg (640x640, 39K)

>without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd
Stay away from my Devuan you filthy casuals

>starts TWO posts with 'sigh'
Go away

Attached: IMG_20171113_18424.jpg (2592x1944, 1.08M)

>delete usr/bin
>usr/bin
>usr
Well nothing happens because there is no "usr/bin" in my $HOME.

systemd is free as in freedom

there is nothing wrong with ubuntu anymore (outside of systemd), so why dont you use it (unless you use debian or mint)? it has the most support (along with debian and mint for obvious reasons)

They don't have much to do with their computers or away from their computers so they need their computers to be something to do.

makes sense, if you have nothing to do take on personal projects, like getting arch to actually work

1. I had to compile too much, Ubuntu and Debian won't help if you have conflicting dependencies
2. I use computers with low specs, need to do memory intensive stuff anyway
3. Security nigger, do you speak it?

>look at me
>I am using systememe
>apt won't work because systememe-update is running
>LOOK AT ME!

best distro for an old laptop which i just want to use as a media consumption pc like web browsing and data storage(anime). have been using manjaro but im having issues with wifi after closing the screen, xfc performed well but i wasnt able to fix screen tearing, ubuntu mate had bad performance (both 32 and 64 versions). keep in mind im a noob so i wont be doing gento or arch. 2008 laptop centrino 2 vpro with 2gb of ram at 2.26ghz

The one I use, no seriously, is deluxe edition

guys

Attached: 1519187119937.jpg (750x823, 125K)

1 - fair
2 - xubuntu, lubuntu, or debian minimal
3 - i am fairly certain there is a hardened version of debian, if not, isnt kali also very security oriented along with being a pentesting distro

>kali
Oh no, you didn't suggest that for personal security

postfix or exim for smtp, dovecot for imap / pop.

I loved lubuntu, lightweight and friendly for noobs, now I use Devuan for temporal setups and it saves me from time to time

cute

kde p gud

Attached: 1541284288056.jpg (472x605, 241K)

i dont know about kali because im not a l33t google hack_r, isnt it a security and pentesting distro?

what? im confused

Pentesting yes, but not for personal security. The defaults are pretty unsafe and you can add the kali repo to debian anyway.

kate too

Diary 11/11/2018

>been full time Linux for years
>want to try video games I played 5-10 years ago because going through crisis
>don't feel like messing with gaming in Linux
>install Windows 10
>3 games in
>all cause blue screens or randomly stop responding

All of the games are dead anyways.

thanks for the enlightenment, fren
yeah, just add the kali shit to debian, a full distro for kali is pointless. just like how linux mint is pointless, it's literally just ubuntu with the cinnamon desktop created for the distro. why not have canonical create a cinnamon flavor for ubuntu, cubuntu or something.

AppImages will make gaming great again user, don't worry

Not defending Mint but I recall they have their own tools and tweaked packages. But I agree, they should put all in a repo and collaborate upstream more.

>Debian 5 on a Nintendo Wii
impressive but why

Try the new Wine wrapper in Steam.

upboat

I don't like new games though. It's all massively shilled thanks to Twitch and encourages micro transactions. The only game I like anymore that has any morals is CS:GO. You can buy skins but that's it. Nothing that gives you an advantage over other players.

I haven't played it in ~6 years and I was terrible. Finally got a rhythm back and was about to finish a match with a positive KDR and it blue screened. Atleast I have Minecraft, even though I've owned it since 1.4.7 and have hardly ever played it. I just like modding.

99% of blue screens has to do with memory allocation or drive failure. Either an important file is corrupted or you're out of memory and Windows is too stupid to fix the issue so they force you to restart.

I am disappointed at new games too, garbage to be honest. From time to time I found some worth it to watch for the cutscenes, they are on youtube anyway.

But GNU/Linux serves very well for what I do want to play, as a gaming system is evolving. One youtuber has a channel dedicated to that and is actually impressive. If I only had the time...

I honestly can't play a game longer than 10 minutes without getting bored anymore. I haven't even touched my Xbox One in a year. I just like lurking around the Minecraft modding scene and playing first person shooters every now and then. I honestly need to do something. I'm learning more about programming than Minecraft but I keep distracting myself with YouTube. Right now I should be finishing a Coursera course but I'm watching 5 reasons why Chumlee is the richest Pawn Star's cast member.

recent convert from gnome 3.
it's pretty neat i'll say, not 100% into the whole environment since i use mate on my other machine, but it's a fine DE.

There are like Xbox emulators for GNU/Linux, PS3, PSP, you name it. Sadly, none of that gaming attracts me anymore.

And what a coincidence, I plan on getting back to Coursera too.

I can't tell if it's working. I'm using apt-get, and when I apt-get update I'm getting a couple 404 errors and mostly Ign responses, which Google tells me means that those things are up to date already, and so are being ignored. However when I try to install xorg it says it can't find the package.
My current sources.list is
deb ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool main contrib
deb security-cdn.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates main contrib

I know I'm connected to the Internet because I can ping Google.

I wouldn't mind a N64 emulator with Madden '00 or something. Now I'm trying to consider whether or not I should go back to i3 or try something different.

>install Windows 10
Why not just pirate Windows 7?

I'm setting up my first low spec Ubuntu VPS with VNC.

Do I use ubuntu 14 + xorg + openbox [OR] Lubuntu Desktop? Which one would use the least amount of resources?

Well, Mupen64Plus exists and I think MAME does N64 too.

Are you certain that mainstream Debian supports Wiis

is lubuntu botnet?

It's a long story.
I've got a shitty projector that only takes composite video input, and I need to project some videos on it, either from a web browser or from internal memory.
None of the computers I have have a composite video output, and the VGA to composite converter I have doesn't seem to work since its special VGA->box->monitor cable got chewed up. I do have a Raspberry Pi with a composite output, but it's one of the early models so it's pretty weak, and after getting Raspbian installed on it I couldn't get the USB wifi to work, and then when I tried to increase the resolution a little bit it started failing to boot, or at least to give video output of any kind, immediately so I got fed up with it. Then I realized that I had a spare Wii, which both has a composite video output and a large modding community, so I thought I'd try and turn the Wii into a makeshift Linux PC so I could use a web browser or video player on it. The Wii does have its own web browser, but besides my website for some reason not accepting the connection from the Wii, this is also a semi-professional setting and I'd rather not be using the Wii's shitty built-in browser for it.
I could just go buy a non-shitty projector but that would cost money.

>connecting to a VPS with VNC
maybe i am missing something, but why?

Not him but gc-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page

I'm pretty sure it doesn't and in fact xorg may not even work correctly since there was a version of Whiite made specifically so that it could be bundled with the x desktop. I tried to get that, but all the links I could find are dead except one, which seems to be corrupted as the tar extraction keeps failing.
Still, that shouldn't stop me from installing xorg, and I'm pretty sure there should be SOME way to get this all to hook up. The hardware's strange, but the OS is still essentially Debian, as far as I know.

Because HTML bootcamp didn't teach ssh -X or tmux

Alternative is Xming + Putty (connecting from Windows)

Those are the only 2 methods I know, so basically a limitation of my skill level

Thanks for the story. I still recommend the rpi for its modern software and advanced hw video codec.

The os could be garden variety Debian but the system architecture is probably too alien to get packages from debian.org

maybe just trying going without gui on a vps?
or just do it in a vm if you really needed gui.

Do you think a Raspberry Pi version 1 model B+ would be capable of streaming Internet video at a decent resolution?
If I'd have to buy the newer model for $35, I might as well just get a decent projector for $60 and use my laptop with it.

I need to run chrome on it, which I guess I could do without a gui. It runs like trash over Xming though. How would I fix that?

I've been trying to install Devuan this weekend but it doesn't seem to detect my ethernet cable. Can someone help a fellow user? T-thanks.

I tried running chrome without the gui from Putty. It runs (very poorly), but here are the errors I get in terminal:

[1763:1763:1112/021615.504486:ERROR:browser_dm_token_storage_linux.cc(93)] Error: /etc/machine-id contains 32 characters (32 were expected).
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 86: unknown element "blank"
[1763:1809:1112/021620.663812:ERROR:bus.cc(394)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
[1800:1800:1112/021621.030269:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(429)] GLX 1.3 or later is required.
[1800:1800:1112/021621.030516:ERROR:gl_initializer_x11.cc(147)] GLSurfaceGLX::InitializeOneOff failed.
[1800:1800:1112/021621.036413:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(184)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization

(google-chrome:1763): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport 'disabled' for address 'disabled:'
[1763:1763:1112/021639.188155:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(980)] Lost UI shared context.
[1763:1763:1112/021650.927520:ERROR:input_method_base.cc(146)] Not implemented reached in virtual ui::InputMethodKeyboardController *ui::InputMethodBase::GetInputMethodKeyboardController()Using InputMethodKeyboardControllerStub

what is your end goal trying to run chrome on a vps?
sounds from this post like you just are making the vps into a proxy in a convoluted way.

I just do. That's the only requirement.

X11 over the network is unbelievably terrible and inefficient. It's no surprise that it runs like complete crap.
Use a proper VNC or VNC-like solution.

That definitely explains things. I have tightVNC viewer on my PC and vncserver running on the VPS. VNC session connects, but I get a gray desktop with an "X" cursor. Nothing happens after that.

Lubuntu Desktop is installed, and everything works fine from console.

>pull PR cause it adds functionality i want and dev has said he will pull it in the next release.
>every time i compile the package it pops up my text editor telling me to tell the dev why im using a PR
How do i stop this nonsense? I dont even have a github account.

It's too slow to do streams in the browser in software.

Is the interface detected and the driver loaded?

>>every time i compile the package it pops up my text editor telling me to tell the dev why im using a PR
What? Post a link to the project in question.

Is there way to have a DOS like environment in linux (IE normally command line, but can open actual graphic programs)

(Slackware 14.2)
Can anyone help out with configuring vsftpd? When I try to access it (through both console and Waterfox), it doesn't seem like anything is coming up, despite the FTP folder being populated. That, and I would like to change the domain from "example.org" to something else. Sorry if it sounds like a load of bullshit; I'm a complete brainlet when it comes to doing anything FTP related.

Attached: fglthelp.png (1023x767, 104K)

GNU/Linux is primarily a command line operating system. What you're describing is the default.

I have Windows on my hard drive. I it’s a 512MiB FAT32 for EFI and the rest is NSFT with Windows on it.

Can I just shrink the NSFT partition and create an Ext4 partition or would that risk corrupting Windows? Should I defragment first? Also will the FAT32 partition work for Linux hootloader? It is flagged boot and esp.

I plan on installing Manjaro.

I am not familiar with FTP, but are you sure you configured the appropriate port, have the service actually running, and the server is not locked down for your user?

Yes, yes, and yes. ;u;

I keep having problems with TF2 running natively: I get these repeated openGL errors, i.e. "This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension _____"
Also I have another series of unique erros at the bottom
"OpenGL: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6 (3.0.0)
GL_NV_bindless_texture: DISABLED
GL_AMD_pinned_memory: DISABLED
GL_ARB_buffer_storage: AVAILABLE
GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode: AVAILABLE
AppFramework : Unable to load module engine.so!
Unable to load interface VCvarQuery001 from engine.so"
Anyone know how to solve this?

Attached: retard.jpg (600x368, 58K)

It's usually installed with a graphic environment though, and when I use things like ubuntu minimal or arch it won't boot graphic programs like non command line browsers

>Can I just shrink the NSFT partition and create an Ext4 partition or would that risk corrupting Windows?
Do it from within windows. It's far less likely to mess anything up.
>Should I defragment first?
I don't think it's required.
>Also will the FAT32 partition work for Linux bootloader?
The EFI system partition has to be FAT32.
You probably don't need a separate /boot partition.

What about playing video files/slideshows from internal memory? What kind of display resolution do you think it could get?

Then it sounds like your firewall

Why not just use a graphic environment and just have a terminal window open in full-screen most of the time?

What bootloader should I use for dual boot? I always used systemdboot but that’s Linux only on my laptop. Want to keep Windows on my desktop in case I ever get the itch to play video games.

Can you post a screenshot of your partition table?