Microsoft doesn't like steam making money on their platform

>Microsoft doesn't like steam making money on their platform
>next update makes it so you can no longer run steam on any version
>the only games that are even functional require the windows store

What's to stop MS from doing this, knowing that they're rich enough to evade any anti-trust or monopoly lawsuits? They could do this with anything, really. Not just games.

>malwarebytes/kaspersky is getting too popular
>Microsoft makes it so the next update auto-deletes any files from them
>you have to use windows defender, as it's now your only choice

Attached: windows-10-s-wallpaper.jpg (3840x2160, 952K)

you're fucking stupid OP

They tried that with forcing Windows 7 users to 10.
It didn't work and just made everyone mad.

I think that you just described windows rt.

They got the market share that they currently have from working with third party developers which in turn is the main reason that consumers and businesses use it. Once they burn that bridge there is no turning back.

It didn't make a difference though. Nobody got sued, and now Win 10 is common place. So even if they did something, what could you do about it? Your average normalfag can't make the switch to linux, as they have too many programs dependent on windows. Win 7 and win 8.1 aren't even manufactured anymore, so they can't down(up)grade to those versions.

Plus, if Disney is any indication, no legal loophole can hurt them as long as they slip a few million dollar bills to the right people.

They've already begun burning that bridge. Look at mandatory updates for example. Now they're screwing over neurotypicals who don't know how to disable windows updates, and it's causing brickings and software failure left and right. Yet their influence is so massive that they can shrug it off and laugh to the bank.

legally they can't because of anti monopoly laws but they could easily make it harder for software like steam to run on windows by warning users about the true fact that it spies on everything you do.

This is one of the likely reasons valve is pushing steam for linux so that microsoft can't fuck them over. Anti viruses are snake oil security that deserve to get killed.

Yup. Windows could just straight up not follow government regulations and there's nothing anyone could do about it. They are literally too big to fail and the majority of home computers use their operating system. They could leverage their "service" and allow their country to continue operating..

What is the government going to do? Ban windows? How are they going to do it? LOL.

If they were going to do that, it would be safer to just gradually break legacy apis (ie win32) until people are forced to port into UWP. My guess is that they will do this anyway eventually, but no one will know whether it's deliberate or just incompetence. Probably a bit of both desu.

The only tricky part of this is that if they ruin win32 support too quickly it would put them in an awkward position where wine/proton would run legacy exes better than Windows. Assuming that they know that compatibility is the main force keeping them alive, they will need to do it slowly.

I want this to happen
>m$ bans steam
>gaben puts all money in proton
>Linux becomes the main sustem for gamers

>Legacy programs at hospitals, factories, and governments start malfunctioning
>The sky is falling in the corporate world
>Many corporate lawsuits
>People just roll back to or dual bolt between 10 and 7 or 8.1
>Microsoft loses a good chunk of its corporate reputation because windows 9x antique interface software is now broken and people don't want to change shit
>People move Mac because microsoft "changes things too often"
>Apple has even more control over the pc market in both hardware and software and deflects sherman cases cause it's too big

They're already doing this much more intelligently anyway. Xbox and MS accounts are now tied together, so games purchased are available on both, making people more likely to just stick with their MS/Xbox account. It's a pretty smart move from them to disincentivize their current Xbox users from becoming Steam users if they decide to go PC gaming. And the small handful of Windows Store exclusives they have might actually bring some people in.

this is what linux fags have to delude themselves with to justify not using a functional OS

>microsoft
>abandoning legacy users
>ever

I hope they do this. Most of the people using windows I know are only doing so for much games at this point anyway. They'd probably switch to Mac before Linux, but it would be worth it to see windows burn

>Win 7 and win 8.1 aren't even manufactured anymore

"Manufactured"? It's software. You can make unlimited digital copies of it.

That shit's illegal as fuck.

>What's to stop MS from doing this,

The greedy publishers will retaliate with supporting Linux.
They could even unite their Battle net Origin and steam on that occasion.
That would kill MS to death.

it needs activationing which doesnt work anymore

Updating win 7 to 10 you lose nothing, and gain a lot.

If they removed something significant from the customers, such as third party software support customers would just leave in droves.

I removed all my shit and win10 is just graphically bland windows7 with voice activation and a built in searchbar. Fuck not being able to switch the A.I. controllers default browser and search engine from Edge/Bing

Daz loader and KMSpico still do work.

> Updating win 7 to 10 you lose nothing

You lose privacy, a good UI, and a relatively bug-free system.

I mean, seriously, the QA at Microsoft has gone to shit. Bugs in Windows 10 aren't getting fixed.

>not using win7

Enjoy your keyloggers

Win10 comes with a keylogger built in.

Also, emulating a KMS server isn't hard.

Faggot.

>awkward position where wine/proton would run legacy exes better than Windows
Remember Vista? I 'member.

>complaining about keyloggers and other shitware in windows
the state of (You)

microsoft forcing everything to be sold through their store would bring a fuckstorm of angry massive software developers and publishers the likes of which they've never seen. if said software is on both mac and windows then boom; it's now a mac exclusive if the developer decides making and maintaining a native UWP build has no ROI from the users that would pay for it.

also selling subscription-based software through the windows store immediately lowers the profits the publisher would get if they didn't change the price. then they have to consider how many customers they would lose if they marked up the price to compensate for microsoft's royalties. and enterprise customers would be lost because no sane company would provision PCs with the fucking windows store for license management and software installation. autodesk and adobe alone would scream a cry of a million donalds when they realize that they just got relegated to the equivalent of the status of iOS app developers and have to suck microsoft's dick endlessly just to maintain a customer base that had already shrunk from before the store became an absolute requirement.

basically everything would go to hell but it would be fucking hilarious to watch

Imagine being this dense.

what is there to gain? the only thing i know is that 10 is a bugged piece of shit that forces everything on you

I don't want desktop compositing, neck yourself

do you have a link to either of the most recent ones? I've got that stupid watermark on mine and can't get it removed.

>What's to stop MS from doing this
The fact that their entire user base wouldn't use an OS that literally cannot perform its main function (providing a platform for other software to run on) and either migrate to something else or more likely stick to an older version of Windows and nuke the update system.

>the true fact that it spies on everything you do.
can you explain? I once left the steam client on idol with an activity monitor running and it didn't look like it was sending any packets.
Gamers should be more concerned about the individual games themselves. Street Fighter V had a rootkit a while back and I think it was a controversy with the Total War community over the games having advertising spyware.

I really should set up a pass-through for a graphics card but I'm not sure if my motherboard even supports. I only have one graphics card and I don't want to reserve my good one for an operating system I hate.

Attached: 1488077284134.jpg (421x500, 47K)

>microsoft forcing everything to be sold through their store would bring a fuckstorm of angry massive software developers and publishers the likes of which they've never seen

Don't be silly, they wouldn't go that far. First it would be a setting like Android, with scary warnings about viruses when you turn it on. The setting would also reset itself randomly as Windows settings are wont to do.

Later official exe support will probably become a Pro+ feature, but Home users will be able to use a registry hack to reenable it, so the power users won't freak out completely. I doubt they would ever remove the registry hack entirely, but it will start to break frequently and cause issues, like disabling updates does today.
In the end it won't matter, normal users won't mess with that registry garbage for long, so software publishers will have to move to the store anyway to target them. Then the power users will have to grudgingly follow the software. At that point Windows will have been successfully xboxified

>what's to stop MS from doing this
Being not retarded like you, OP.

Attached: 1525652874628.png (3000x3000, 945K)

>windows bricking a pc
man youre retarded

And steam and GOG will provide linux variants of games and the only sector outside of business propping up windows will collapse.

Source?

I want this to happen
>>m$ bans steam
>>gaben puts all money in proton
>>Gaben fails. Linux and Proton cease to exist

fuck steam, faggot. GOG or go home.

Attached: 2313212.jpg (1064x768, 426K)

What stops Gaben from selling valve to microsoft?

The thing is that as rich as Microsoft may be, it depends on a lot of far richer companies to continue writing software for Windows. It's important to remember that Linux's lack of propietary software isn't a constant.

the FBI then arrests the entire board of Microsoft and replaces them with someone not retarded
/thread