Why does it exist and how come no one talks about it anymore?

Why does it exist and how come no one talks about it anymore?

Attached: raspberry-pi-b-board.jpg (1200x985, 192K)

People talk about them all the time you deaf cunt

This. Cunt.

Maybe retards stopped buying them without knowing why. Oh wait, that's not gonna happen.

There are at least a dozen alternatives at this point that do something better for the same pricepoint. The RPI is a memeboard for 'makers' who don't understand CPU computing.

It's proprietary and doesn't provide it's own IDE or community and documentation such as open source Arduino does. Arduino also provides a bunch of different hardware options for different uses.

It's a learning tool for people to learn computers
Most people on Jow Forums more or less know their shit

It's also a engineers wet dream since it can be used for so many projects
But again, most people on Jow Forums would rather use a full size computer

I prefer the old adage of daft cunt

No reason to get a Pi over a Rock64.

I actually bought one very recently, but I haven't done anything with it yet.
It actually has an excellent display driver and display controller, which will be useful for some future software development of mine.
Although I already have a home server, so it's useless to me for anything other than that.

Attached: 1452463042847.png (336x377, 128K)

Arduino is better, cheaper, more flexible, and easier. Checkmate, RPi.

>Most people on Jow Forums more or less know their shit
lmao

I bought one so I can shitpost fromy TV

Because I bought a snes classic and hacked it with more games.

I dont use a RPI but I use a rock64 for just a xmpp server and mail server. its pretty ok

>being this much of a dumb cunt

>more flexible
lol

cause it has been nearly 2 years without any new board

Attached: reisen.png (413x599, 256K)

>can't JIT cause can't write to program flash rom unless stay in the bootloader section
>flexible

Attached: you_are_really_hopeless.jpg (337x309, 39K)

Engineers wet dream? As if. Right now my go to SBC for projects is the rock64. But just to name a few, rock/pro64, Odroid xu4, nvidia tx2, and the orange pi h5 line are all orders of magnitude better at everything than the RPI3.

Rock64 love... can actually handle an sdr at 40msps

>thinking a Raspberry and an arduino cater to the same market

The best advantage the Rasp has is the great community built around it and, at least in my country, it's certified by the government to be used in actual products.

I'm so sorry you live in Anthem.

That's not a LattePanda user. Does that look like it can run anything?

>Why does it exist
very literally just to cost $35

>how come no one talks about it anymore?
most people who care about it already got one

the 3B+ was released this year

I bought mine for that juicy 10/100/1000 and 4gb of ram, my orange pi pc just wasn't worth buying over and over when it broke

>tfw Odroid H2 will soon be available
It will blow everything out of the water

>Runs on Intel

Fucking garbage

The product was hyped, all the onions filled goyim decided to buy it, didn't know what to do with it afterwards, and then decided to play games on it or some shit.

>only power in is usb micro
>usb micro contacts have a maximum rating of 1A or so
>had to get a powered usb hub to use the usb things I needed

All of those, except Jetson TX2, are "RPi with [shitty feature]" and when you get it you're in driver hell with unsupported features, undefined behaviour etc. etc.

RPi is so popular that every shitty thing it does is well documented online. For prototyping something quickly it'd be retarded to get the other shit.

>comparing a microcontroller to a single-board computer
The state of Jow Forums, everyone.

There are very few uses for a single-board computer in a home environment. And it runs a generic Linux distro that gives a lot of freedom, which means it is not a turnkey solution. End-users and novice tinkerers lack the knowledge of how to do something with a Raspberry properly and opt-in for an Arduino instead, because it can make an LED blink. You don't need a computer to make an LED blink, in fact you don't even need a microcontroller.

My rPi works as PiHole and I'm writing custom software for my other one that will gather data points from ESP8266 based microcontrollers into a Postgres database and serve a simple web interface. But that is beyond the scope of what any normie can do. Technically I don't even need an rPi, because I can use free AWS Lambda's and S3 to host the stats page, but it's the tinkerer in me that opted in to spend 35$ on a toy.

There are too many toys in the market now, it's oversaturated by this point. I want an RGB bulb that I can control with a remote - buy a Phillips Hue. I want a drone - check ChinkExpress for a 20$ deal, comes with batteries included. Anything that a normie can think of can be built ready made. Where is the justification to tinker and create something anew?

He was laughing at himself in that post.

I have a RPi that I use as a small Samba server for my household. Makes it easier to copy files around for my family.

No, he's the state of the current newfags on Jow Forums

If you dunno pic related, you are a new fag.

Attached: battlestation_current.jpg (2048x1184, 318K)

overpriced and underpowered piece of shit

>for that juicy 10/100/1000
>1000

LMAO

Because it can now run a real OS.

Attached: raspi speccz full.png (1280x1024, 411K)

>64 bit OS
>32 bit OS

The x86 software emulator of win10 ARM only supports 32bit .

nice, what can you do on it except maybe open notepad?

Play Fury3

my ex bought it so I just use it for adblocker and vpn.

just bought one to drive a digital signage display.

What the fuck are you doing if you're trying to JIT code on an 8 bit microcontroller

did you even think before posting jesus

Attached: DVLZwoVUMAAx5X0.jpg (271x274, 13K)

? My old orange pi pc only supported 10/100 and I have internet thats higher than that. So I bought something with 10/100/1000.

>Rock64
>4gb ram
>$45

Jesus. Too bad it's £70 in the UK.

underdocumented chink clones of pi

Does anyone else have a Pi3 B ?
Im running raspbian and the youtube experience is garbage out of the box but Im not sure if its the specs ?
480 can be passable but most people nowadays are used to 720 and 1080 and it just shows me a comic book of gifs for those ranges.
is it the os ?
is it the specs ?

These things aren't made to be used as a main pc. It barely has 1GB of RAM, do you think it has enough graphics power when its purpose is to be without a display?

No networking suppourt

I want to use it as a side pc that does simple things, browsing the internet and maybe launch a single simple programme, it does that satisfyingly well so far. .
I dont want more than that.

Trips of truth

Pi any good for a torrent seed box and plex server?

>torrent seed box
Sure, but its ethernet is limited to USB 2.0 speeds
>plex
Not that great, since it's limited to USB 2.0 speeds

Pi is just a little bit too slow for anything useful

No gigabit, no USB3, no SATA, no M.2, etc.Generally they're good for shit like mail servers and IRC servers but anything beefy you want something more. And once you get that something more you turn the Pi off since you can run what it was doing on the more beefy machine.

Why is there toilet paper?

Like? Chink ones have no support and get flaming hot. I don't know about any non-chink ones with comparable price.

>usb micro contacts have a maximum rating of 1A or so
Or more like no. GPIO 5V is fused at 2A.
>had to get a powered usb hub to use the usb things I needed
Because you used 1A brick instead of 2.5A+.
Off yourself.

The TX2 is good, but also really fucking expensive compared to an RPi.

>no one talks about it anymore?
Check

They proud members of a cultural tribe that supports ingroup, violent, tribal thinking and making outcasts of anyone that doesn't fit their ideology.

They have convinced me, so I don't support them anymore :)

I haven't used mine yet, got it as a gift. Are you using the hdmi?
I find it hard to believe that a chromecast has clear video but a pi 3 b doesn't.

HDMI to VGA converted because thats the monitor I have available. Maybe its Debian but a fully loaded and buffered video turns into a gif collection and its turning me off right now.
Now that you mention it, it becomes even more puzzling since I've got a chromecast too and that thing pumps yt content so well and its relatively small.
Maybe i need to add more extensions or addons software side ?

>comparing a general purpose single board computer with a single purpose streaming dongle
There's a reason these things are cheap. They are good at only one thing. And they do that thing very good.

>JIT
>on a 8bit micro-controller
you need help

The RPI got a Broadcom VideoCore IV GPU, meaning it can decode H264 at 1080p60. There is a whole bunch of APIs in order to use the hardware components of the GPU (OpenMAX IL and MMAL). However, despite FFmpeg supporting HW decoding through MMAL, Raspbian doesn't include a MMAL-enabled FFmpeg. You have to rebuild it yourself so you can use mpv for example... Also, display will be on the framebuffer directly, so no HW-decoded videos in a window. Otherwise, there's omxplayer too, which used OpenMAX for decoding.

thanks!
I always assumed hdmi had minimum requirements. I guess with an experimental board anything goes.

I'm still frosty my usb c on my pixel 2 won't do video out.