Why did skeuomorphism ever become mainstream?

why did skeuomorphism ever become mainstream?

Attached: 5443cb0f6bb3f7bf69baa65b-960-720.jpg (960x720, 135K)

Who?

Attached: 1540217435432.jpg (657x527, 36K)

it related the abstract digital world to the real world, so less tech-savvy people would know exactly what you can/cannot click on

People like what they are used to.

because old people needed their music app to look like an analog stereo otherwise they get confused and don't understand what happening

I still don't know what that word means

Attached: hole-head-cartoon-man-large-hold-his-41571389.jpg (1262x1300, 120K)

Me too, frend.

Attached: 1516580126121.png (657x527, 44K)

Because normies want to use computers

90s aesthetic. 3D, animated icons, everything textured, desktop effects.

t. greedy programmer/company owner who doesn't give a fuck about UI and would rather have some braindead design a flat as shit utter turd of a UI instead of leaving design to competent people

color, look and feel should mirror the physical I/O devices it runs on. slim and silver for laptops, chunky and black for desktops, etc
prove me wrong

It was sort of a relief in the hardware constraints of computers. Up until the early 90's, flat design was technologically necessary. When the breakthrough in hardware progressed, UI/UX designers obsessed over the realism of skeumorphism. It complemented the rise of OOP, and the idea of objects being abstract representations.

Follow any fashion trend, they always repeat. Flat design came back as hardware capability became taken for granted. I'd love to see what's next, but I know it's going to be some form of skeumorphism. In a culture so embedded in irony, it's pretty predictable.

it's stylish and it looked better than the oldschool beveled "3D" controls it was replacing
just like how flat is considered "stylish" and "less busy" than the skeuomorphic controls it replaced

still waiting for bevels 2.0 lol

Skeuomorphism is great and timeless when done right, see Windows 7, better than this flat shit we got now.

It's great, look at how iOS6 is the best of all the iOS versions.

In the end getting rid of all skeuomorphism shenanigans was of advantage for the companies because now with the minimalism design meme it became easy to not only outsource the programming but also the GUI designing to low wage countries since plain blue edgy boxes don't need the same level of artistic skills as simulating a vast amount of different surfaces, making cultural references that the designer should be familiar with etc.

tl;dr
being a cheap fuck won again over artistic values

Attached: disapproving_cheeto.jpg (1640x1365, 578K)

Except I don't care for skeumorphism and artistic values it carries when your icons look like shit under 20px. I'd rather have a clean, scalable vector image to work with that has little to no detail but an outline to avoid horrid aesthetic value and confusion

are there other instances of trends appearing, getting replaced, and then reappearing in the deisgn industry?

when digital graphics try to emulate real-world materials, like the brushed metal in OP's image

Look at how 90s fashion has come back.

Like what specifically? Suits are slicker and more athletic than ever. 90s was baggy as shit. I think you mean 80s

Attached: The_80s_drape_suit_at_Keikari_dot_com.jpg (550x740, 181K)

>why did skeuomorphism ever become mainstream?
Brainlets can't handle command lines. UX designers blow horse dick at their jobs. Who in their right mind ever thought burger menus were EVER a good idea. It served as a reference point for end users before they got pushed off the 'modern' deep end.

Attached: 1537485222895.jpg (800x800, 72K)

C

inb4 this type of shit is the next skeuomorphism

Attached: Philco_PC.jpg (800x479, 29K)

But OP's image doesn't look good.
And how it's related to usability?

Attached: 1516581790059.png (741x568, 29K)

This looks great!!!

Attached: 1515027125107.png (657x527, 225K)

Skeuomorphism is and has always been the best style for GUIs.

/thread

Sure... so what does a folder look like on your computer? What does a file look like?
Since the GUI is a metaphor why shouldn't its elements at least resemble the things they stand for. Go and look at your directory listings. The TLA at the end of each file name is a hint as to what the file is about. You want to lose those as well? It's all a matter of degree.
An androgynous girl might appeal to some but one with all the right secondary characteristics will be more acceptable.

what is a gtk theme with this aestetic

god that looks like shit. I thought tailoring was important to a suit since day 1... or maybe it is tailored but its just autistic. god wtf is that Jesus like this dude is wearing parachute pants on his torso

>back when os x was actually good

steve jobs liked it and when he died apple fired the skeumorph designer and instead went for muh flat design

Attached: first-burger.jpg (1000x630, 81K)

I miss it. Now everything is white and boring.

This

Brushed stainless is really the only part I didn't like

Won't happen until Wayland is done.
Not even kidding - they can't go back to native-like controls now since it would stifle Wayland adoption.

Skeuomorphism was clearly a mistake. My work colleges and I all agree that "flat" icons and "hamburger button" menus are 100% better and user friendly. Also some people complain that having gui take up >2gb is "bloated", well the only thing i have to say about that is GET A NEW COMPUTER YOU MORON IT'S 2018.

Now with that out of the way i'm away to have an avocado latte. Chow darlings!

Attached: hipster.jpg (225x225, 9K)

because it looked good.

it was a nice way to hide your body if you don't have any form
today's trend of tight-fitting would go well for those who are Jow Forums

>getting this buttmad over UI

FUCK OFF NIGGER CIA FROG POSTER AND EAT MY SHIT FROM MY ASS AS IT DROPS

When you go from shitty 486 CPUs to 1ghz monsters in a rather short period of time, you given some freedom to make colorful and detailed UIs

Mean

Attached: 1531111051940.jpg (793x786, 54K)

That's not skeuomorphism. Skeuomorphism does not mean shiny.

Tbh it's not that bad when it's not tacky and exaggerated.
Windows 7, iOS 6, and Microsoft's fluent design aren't that bad.

If you imagine a UI as a real life object, OP's image would look tacky as hell, with all the blue glass and brushed metal, but if it looks like a well-designed real life object, then it doesn't look bad inside a screen.
At most it might be a gimmicky design depending on the case..

Attached: 1497112901776.jpg (796x443, 31K)

When you're not 100% familiar with the program, flat design where buttons are just flat text or symbols can be distracting because you have to stop and look for the buttons.
Tech illiterate people can really have a hard time distinguishing buttons from text.
Skeumorphic design makes it immediately clear and intuitive where things are.

An acceptable compromise is to make buttons look distinctly like buttons instead of simple unclickable text, Like Ableton Live does (outside the black parts).

Attached: Dealer-Live10-Suite-ArrangementView-Clips.png (2880x1800, 479K)

>brushed metal
>not skeuomorphic

ableton has a goat tier ui, the only itearion of flat desing that's actually usable, wish more software follows it

I don't know if it even has a name besides classic, but the Redmond style of UI design of old Windows and old Gnome/KDE has always been my favorite. No bullshit, no bells and whistles, just straight and to the point. Yet still pleasant to look at, unlike OSX and modern Linux themes.

Attached: FKUN86RHVGXJACF.png (800x600, 56K)

it was impressive at the time

>skeuomorphism
97% of the time when someone uses this word, they just want to hear themselves talk.
Kind of like entry-level readers using "kafkaesque" at every chance, left & right.

is there some place that gives info on apple skeuomorphism design principles? or skeuomorphism design principles in general?

Because the core concept of software - virtual objects running in a simulated universe - was still relatively new at the time. So most people hadn't yet grown up with these things.
As a result, software designers had to use increasingly on-the-nose visual metaphors for guidance as these platforms became more popular.

Skeuomorphism was just plain-old butt ugly. Simple as that.
Minimalism wins yet again.

Minimalism or flat design? Because flat design is shit.

PBR shaded compositor with realistic shadows when

At least not until tomorrow noon, that's for sure.

>I need everything to have textures and look like real life object to stimulate my low IQ make-pretend imaginaishun needs, when I click on a button it needs to FEEL like a button, when I raise the volume up it needs to FEEL like I'm doing it to an actual radio huuurrr duuuuuurrr
That's why.

Attached: 1513007204881[1].png (866x900, 95K)

Happening right now with
>music
incorporating analog synths along with digital and recording with tape by some indie artists
>fashion
90s and '00s revival
>Tv/movies
Remakes,reboots, and sequels to classics
>Toys
Colorful and more abstract play just like in the 80s

List goes on

Windows 10: RTX on

>Huurr Durr
I know you're trolling but flat design has its issues, like when a link or button is depicted with text that has no discerning font or color. Or when buttons are blending in with the negative space instead of standing out to the user. Terrible use of space for look of simplicity