Does this game really teach programming?

Does this game really teach programming?

Attached: 1541993315785.jpg (1833x1042, 883K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mw-magister.tumblr.com/post/175629014043/pure-nun-with-sinful-body-help-support-my-work
youtube.com/watch?v=H-U96W89Z90
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Low-key yeah.
I remember fucking with red stone back in the day. I was making from bomb ass shit. It is what got me into programming in the first place.
I rate Minecraft 10/10

it teaches logic gates if you use redstone torches

Only if a person has a mind for it. It's better described as teaching you to build your own basic circuits. Most kids never go beyond opening and closing doors or copying things.

Unironically two standard deviations above my classmates In electrical engineering thanks to this game.

The causation might be the other way around, but it doesn't matter. Minecraft is the patricians choice of game

I would argue it encourages 3 dimensional thinking at an early age.

Come at me but finding the area of a solid say a large minecraft sphere is actually Calculus 3

No. It can teach you about basic circuitry. But I wouldn't call it programming. You can try to get all technical with it, but at the end of the day, it more does good at teaching you to manipulate and reverse engineer.
I suppose the game more teaches you to have the mindset of a hacker, and by relation, a bit of a programmer.

Dark souls taught me quantum field theory.

Niggas have made alus in this game, that’s real programming not your gay ass recursive java programs.

pic related unironically brought me to the programming world
only as a hobby tho, i have no certificates or the likes, but i could get them.

Attached: images.jpg (188x269, 13K)

That's circuit design dumbass, unless you want to call it "programming" the laws of physics.

OK, cool, about 65 players have actually made advanced circuitry.
The average player probably had never used redstone for more then a light switch or to open a door.

No, you have to actively try to create elaborate redstone stuff in order to learn anything. First of all, that's not programming, that circuitry, and second of all, literally no one uses redstone except for a switch or a button to open a door, or maybe some wire to extend the distance.

It doesn't teach you circuit design at all. It teaches you the absolute basics of Boolean logic and that's it.

In real life circuit design there's all sorts of shit you have to consider like fan out and fan in which means stuff needs to be buffered sometimes because of the loading effects of subsequent logic stages. If you are clocking at very high frequencies you need to treat signal traces like transmission lines and do all the proper engineering associated with that like controlled impedance traces with proper line drivers and receivers and etc. like you'd see on a PCB motherboard. Some stuff has changed these days as discrete logic is falling out of favor for PLDs, CLPDs, FPGAs, and microcontrollers but even still proper circuit design covers encompasses more than minecraft ever will. Minecraft doesn't even help illustrate how basic gates actually work. You'd get more out of playing with a circuit sim for a half hour. Even a shitty one like the falstad sim.

Attached: ttl-nand-gate.gif (561x390, 10K)

It's still way closer to circuit design than programming, and there is a significant delay for sending signals down redstone "wires" which lets you do non-combinatorial circuits like flip flops and clocks.

It teaches logic gates in an incredibly clunky way, yes

>about 65 players have actually made advanced circuitry.
you clearly have no clue desu

I unironically started programming because I realised I was spending over half my time with redstone just trying to get everything to fit in physical space, and with programming instead I could just add new code anywhere I wanted

I made a simple calculator with redstone way back when. It teaches basic shit like converting between decimal and binary, logic gates, and storing values.
But teaching actual programming? Nah.

Digital Legos.

Kids have played with blocks for a long time.

Minecraft brought out the autism in me, so indirectly it shaped me into becoming a programmer.

same here bud, made myself a crappy disorganized cpu that ran like crap

Does notepad teach programming?

No. If you want to teach a kid to program with video games, unironically give them GMod and Wiremod.

some games really teach some kind of programming
I used to fuck around with warcraft 3 world editor making scripted events and shit
that's what got me into programming
glad this trend still exists

Attached: 1366189291153.jpg (1600x1200, 378K)

>tfw wasted 2k hours on this shit, and got interested how economics and social engineering works
>tfw became a full blown cynic

>tfw remember explaining to my dad 13+ years ago the systemic effects of Pure essence on the Runescape 2 economy

Okay the update was april 2006 so 12.5 years ago

Always sucked at the redstone logic shit, but I guess trying to mod it sort of taught me something. I remember seeing something like, cow.drop.leather() and I'm like, hmmm, what if I change it?

I changed it to cow.drop.diamond() and it actually worked, I released it online and people thought there was something wrong with me.

you can learn programming ingame but it doesn't teach you shit because there's no tutorial for the stuff

Computers are just a circuit, programming is just making a circuit.

Fuck yeah dude. The Warcraft 3 editor was like a shitty unity engine without the hassle of making your own models. I remember people having made fps games that played similar to n64 games. I was so sad when starcraft 2 came out and the map editor was so limited.

Only if you add a mod like OpenComputers, and even then you're not learning lua, you're only using it.

Circuitry first then coding, but certainly.

Attached: 4-bit redstone computer attached to Small-scale Internet.jpg (1366x718, 279K)

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 27K)

I would use it to make deadly traps for other players that killed them with no possible escape so I could loot all of their stuff. Simple circuits though, sniffed from youtube videos. Those were the days.

Mods like RedPower and ComputerCraft always had me interested. Back when Tekkit was a big deal I was always loading programs other people had made into the computers and playing with them. I had a dream of automating many processes with ComputerCraft turtles and imagined it being hugely complex and interesting to watch.

Sadly enough I went back and made my dream come true a few weeks back. Used blocks to determine the direction and give commands to the turtles along their path (e.g. pull items from chest, dump items, ect) and ended up with a pretty efficient auto mining, smelting, sorting, and crafting setup. I was proud for a while but realised what I had done wasn't all that hard. I guess learning how it was done took the magic out of it for me

Attached: 154197903451.jpg (800x1067, 89K)

Fucking hell sauce me up dude

mw-magister.tumblr.com/post/175629014043/pure-nun-with-sinful-body-help-support-my-work

I loved my computercraft turtles. They mined, they built whole structures just by their own scripts and laid down torches/lighting in the most efficient manner. One time I had over 60 running at once and had to toss in chunk loaders just to keep them all moving.

I wouldn't say programming as much as problem solving. That is if you actually want to do things that require it.
I have done many technical projects in minecraft before moving to code, but I can't say the game made me want to learn coding. Minecraft was simply the first medium that allowed me to create things. My friends also used to play the game but dropped it just like any other game. I played it constantly for 5 years like an autist until I realized my skills are worthless.

Also taught me to never copy first until I have made a working solution.

Attached: 2017-01-17_16.32.53.png (1600x900, 1.63M)

RedPower is the shit
I remember not being that much into coding back than so didn't use CC for anything complex
But RedPower could do the same with "mechanical" stuff

You guys ever feel the same way though? Back then programming a turtle seems like a huge feat.
Now I know how do to it I kind of feel underwhelmed.

still fun to bully kids with it though. Most servers still haven't sorted out the turtle perms properly.

are there any mods that let you automate everything ingame?
It's disappointing that you can automate sugarcane production but not mining

yeah the old tekkit packs are basically you choosing to automate stuff with either magic or technology or both

Have they been updated for modern minecraft?
I don't think I could go back with all of the quality of life changes

Little big planet >>>> Minecraft

>I used to fuck around with warcraft 3 world editor making scripted events and shit
same here, but with starcraft
i also got into webdev because of muonline and lineage2. made my own servers and websites locally to test shit out

youtube.com/watch?v=H-U96W89Z90

yes

notch was a great inspiration that you could make original stuff (and loads of cash) with a small (1 person) team, in the early minecraft days.
I haven't "played" minecraft in years, but i guess the game itself is still "open" and "easy" to mod.
So yes.
Also great soundtrack.

Modded Minecraft is doing very well currently. Lots of kitchen-sink type modpacks allow you to automate pretty much everything. I prefer Expert packs for progression and added difficulty. I suggest FTB Infinity Evolved Expert for 1.7.10 or Enigmatica 2 Expert for 1.12.2. If you are up to the challenge, GregTech New Horizons for 1.7.10 is one of the best (and most difficult) modpacks out there with massive amounts of automation needed to progress.

yea but people used them to make ticking bombs, redstone signals ticked so fast and abundant that they collapsed servers.
Much like a chicken farm spawning thousands of eggs and fedding those chickens and because they never die eventaully servers collapsed

It is what motivated me to do a CS degree after high school.

Little big planet is okay, but come on man.

Was there ever anyone autistic enough to make a mod that compiles VHDL files to minecraft red stone?

The teknik modpacks were always too autistic for me. It seems like it turns minecraft into a resource management simulator. I'm more of a world edit and world-generation mod kind of guy.