Is E-ink and ereaders obsolote with the rise of big screen amoled phones? For example, manga and novels

Is E-ink and ereaders obsolote with the rise of big screen amoled phones? For example, manga and novels

Attached: 1541799421817.jpg (1440x1035, 84K)

LED's emit light

e-ink reflects light

you don't seem to understand either tech and are probably just a viral marketer attempting to shill products.

Well, which is better?

OLED obviously

Was it ever relevant? I don't think the industry is ever going back on LED, just improving on it.

eink is better for reading dipshit

For reading mango? Why

Attached: 1541073594869.gif (540x674, 268K)

what phone on the right?

E ink has no color options and shit resolution.

All AMOLED screens have true blacks

galaxy s3

e-ink/e-readers also last about a month without a charge, even when regularly using the backlight, which is completely optional

No, the whole thing about e-ink is that it doesn't emit light, OLED doesn't change anything about that.

it's more than good enough for text.

Is there any good OLED tablet with reasonable price? Android or Windows.

>tablet
>android or windows
lmao

Mango is black and white. Text is black and white. Self emitting screens will be more tiring to look at than e-ink. Because of your post I went to borrow the kindle of my sis (had to update it to work amazon is a trash company) and it's much more comfy than on any other screen. I wouldn't buy one just to read manga though. It's also unable to replace an actual book. Hol up - it's useless trash. Interesting technology either way.
Didn't you wanna create another iPad poor thread street shitter?

300dpi is not enough for you? Are you an ant?

lol

Not OLED, but Mi Pad 4 (or Plus for 10 inch) is currently the best Android budget tablet.

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-Pad-4-Banner.jpg (850x445, 51K)

>E ink has no color options
it's meant for reading books. have you seen a book, user?
>shit resolution
good enough for me.

Attached: 1539800019795.jpg (554x439, 106K)

>useless
How does it compare to paper?

why mva panels arent used in phones?

Because they're strictly worse than IPS?

Not any of them, but did you not see the discussion? They are talking manga.

There are a ton used, but recently not as many. (big reason is old tablets are not becoming outdated so no one is buying new ones)

Try the dell venue android tablets. They have a grip on one end and an OLED screen with more than enough resolution for manga.

Why did Apple even bother with a non OLED screen in 2018?

>Is E-ink and ereaders obsolote with the rise of big screen amoled phones? For example, manga and novels
No, of course they aren't.
The point of E-ink is a passive screen, which is pretty much neutral on the eyes.
Neither OLED nor any other active display could ever make E-ink obsolete.

>E ink has no color options and shit resolution.
Yes, it has no color, although that may change in the next couple of years, but this is completely irrelevant for text or black and white images, which these devices are supposed to display.
But the Resolution on modern devices is by far more then enough.

So that they can maintain their 80% profit margins. That $800 phone costs less than $200 to make.

>800$
What year is it?

How close is eink to the real thing or real blacks?

My cybook has 313dpi and I can't tell difference from printed books, even with the magnifying glass.

>How close is eink to the real thing or real blacks?
From the "print" quality it is really good, but the "feel" is of course different.
The point of E-ink is that you really have "real blacks".

It's designed for reading novels. You don't need color and the resolution is more than adequate for the font size you should be using. If you're trying to read technical PDFs on your 5'' Kindle displaying an entire page at once, yeah, it's not going to be pleasant, but that's not what it's intended for.

Wait, I cant use this for technical books?

Attached: 1538973785768.jpg (480x519, 52K)

you can its just that tech books tend to favor larger pages and a kindle screen is very small so you'd be turning pages back and forth all the time

>"as you can see by figure 1.3 blah blah blah"
>turn 10 pages
>look at figure
>go back 10 pages

isn't manga black and white? i suppose if you have to render images then dpi is kind of important but i assume there are e-readers with higher dpi. i use mine old pocketbook and it does the job fine.

Are ranobe considered books?

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 15K)

If any of you nerds here actually read manga you know that most illustrators do color specials of a first chapter. Not to mention front covers and artwork inside official books.

Comics are for brainlets.

Web comics are the topic here, so that's what I'm going off of.

No, they server different purposes.

It's not a decent tablet unless it dual-boots Windows and Android.

Just get cheap chink tablet then.

No? Any time you're reading something black and white, e-ink is objectively better. Especially something with a frontlight. Given that theyre only 80 on sale theres really no reason not to have one if you are interested in ebooks.

>Reading
>Color option
For what purpose?

color photos in textbooks, color-coded graphs, colored comics, etc.

Imagine this. You are in a completely unlit room and in front of you are two boxes, each with one tennis ball sized hole in it. Both holes are covered in pieces of white paper. One of the holes has a light behind it, and the other hole has a spotlight shone on from the front. The amount of light the spot light hole is reflecting is exactly the same as the amount light passing through the other piece of paper. There would be no difference between the two pieces of paper to your eyes.

Oh it's this chucklehead again.

Imagine this. You stare the entire day against a moderately lit wall or you stare the entire day against the flashlights of a car.

The issue with your whole argument is that it doesn't reflect reality, screens work, because they are much brighter then the light around you, which is what makes them damaging to your eyes, your dark room misses the most essential variable here.

>screens work, because they are much brighter then the light around you
Not true. If you take an e-reader and a phone both displaying a page of text and put them under a lamp, turn the phone's backlight down until the amount of light reflected and emitted by the phone screen is equal to the amount of light reflected by the e-reader, the phone will still be perfectly readable.

>turn the phone's backlight down until the amount of light reflected and emitted by the phone screen is equal to the amount of light reflected by the e-reader
In other words, you turn the screen of the phone off, because that is exactly what you need to do to achieve that, this and nothing else.

No, because the phone's screen reflects almost no light, so in order for the reflected + emitted light of the phone to be equal to the reflected light of the e-reader, you would need to have the backlight be fairly bright.

Please google diffusion...
>No, because the phone's screen reflects almost no light
I can use my phone as a mirror but not a piece of paper.
You are completely ignoring diffusion, which is the reason why, if you shine a flashlight at a piece of paper it doesn't become as bright as the flashlight.

>so in order for the reflected + emitted light of the phone to be equal to the reflected light of the e-reader, you would need to have the backlight be fairly bright.
Assuming the paper was a mirror, yes.

In reality paper is not mirror, if causes the light to diffuse, just shine a flashlight against a white wall and then directly into your eyes.

>Please google diffusion...
Backlights aren't just immediately behind the screen, there is a diffuser sandwiched between the light and the screen. The light being emitted by the screen is just as diffuse as the light being reflected by the e-reader.

>I can use my phone as a mirror but not a piece of paper.
Glare is a separate issue which only become relevant if you hold the screen at specific angle.

>Backlights aren't just immediately behind the screen, there is a diffuser sandwiched between the light and the screen.
So?
What does that even mean, except a slight decrease in brightness at an increase of viewing angles.

>The light being emitted by the screen is just as diffuse as the light being reflected by the e-reader.
A claim without any evidence.

The fact to the matter is, leaving your misunderstanding of physics aside, that the difference is easily recognizable to most people, just like shining a flashlight in your eyes gives you a headache so does shining a phone.

>So?
>What does that even mean
A diffuser in front of the backlight diffuses the light it's emitting.

>A diffuser in front of the backlight diffuses the light it's emitting.
Obviously.
But what does that have to do with anything, the diffuser just decreases the phones brightness per area of a cone around it, looking at it the diffuser just makes the phone a bit less bright, it has nothing to so with anything.

So first you tell me to look up what diffusion is and claim that e-readers are better than backlit screens because the light they reflect is diffuse, and now that I've explained to you that backlights emit diffused light, all of a sudden diffusion is irrelevant?

that new ipad pro looks good for reading manga

You missed my point by a fucking mile, but keep ignoring the rest and go in on this strawman the size of the moon, surely this will be a productive discussion.