What practical use is there for >16GB RAM in the current year?

What practical use is there for >16GB RAM in the current year?

Attached: PC-wont-accept-RAM.jpg (729x448, 65K)

running virtual machines to run videos that run ads on sites that pay you ~50% of what they make from the ads you watched in order to generate an extra $400 or so per year

If you have to ask, you dont have to bother

speccy threads

Tmpfs for storing shit you don't want to save, browser caches or image thumbnails. Faster than NVME and doesn't wear it.

Running eclipse

Go on pls

try running intellij

Browsing web.

Butt loads of docker containers hosting bitcoin miners

photoshop, hugin, imagemagick, disk cache

wind waker 4k with custom textures
also chrome

Infinite browser tabs
Really any sort of work that requires computers. Aside from those that could be done with a calculator and a typewriter

Opening 13 tabs in chrome

>le chrome ram mayme
You're so smart and funny! Please have my babies, user-sama!

Attached: 1523002703948.jpg (480x480, 64K)

DRAM has unlimited endurance, and is a far better cache than NAND or a mechanical hard drive. I've have my entire system loaded in ECC RAM every minute of the day if I could. When I'm working in CAD, just zooming and moving around larger files lags at times, and its because it has to reaccess permanent storage. If I could keep everything loaded in RAM it'd perform much better.

faggot :)

Compiling big projects without terrible disk trashing.

Creating an object that stores a 100th dimensional array of strings that are greater than 500 characters each

CEMU

>16GB
Nigger get at least 32

I nearly max out 16GB of ram when composing Orchestral music with East/West samples.

Music production

games xD

bideo gaymes

everyone itt means this

Bet that $400/year really goes a long way in India, doesn't it.

Kys fgt

RAM Drives

>8GB
Web browsing, Netflix, Gaming, etc.

>16GB
Photo and video editing, multitasking with games open, heavy music production

>32GB
Virtual machines, RAM disk, Big databases, 4K editing, 3D rendering

Nevermind I figured it out.

You mean ff right? Chrome is not even that bad.

pm sent.

Fucking Adobe.
t. 22gb used

>8GB
>Gaming, etc.
Forza Horizon 4 needs ridiculous amounts of swap (like 12GB) to work on my PC with 8GB of RAM.

>What practical use is there for >16GB RAM in the current year?
DCS World multiplayer needs 32 GB to run smooth

Kek
A whole 400$/year

400 bucks for just having to write down in taxes that you got some side income doesn't sound bad.
Clearly the better deal would be for the site operator keeping 50% of all of their peons earnings though.
Though yet the better deal would be getting paid by the companies that want their product known, while you're giving some garbage metrics about how well your company is providing brand engagement to consumers through ads provided all over the place.
Probably even better than that is being on the bankroll for the advertising company and not even putting effort into verifying metrics and just passing the report on about how well you're doing what was asked of your job.
Then to go even beyond that would be to own the ad company and use your vast wealth to, by comparison to your moneybags, cheaply hire some incompetent fools to thieve money from companies trying to pay for recognition.

tl;dr I wouldn't be above stealing fragments of money from ad companies and then just blocking their ads when doing regular browsing

star citizen.
i dont play but 32 is recomended. 40 if you want to avoid swaphell.

Grow up.

Why? Sounds boring.

I agree *bro-hoof*

>wanting to become a normalfag
>>>/reddit/

Virtual machines. Qubes, more specifically. With Whonix, Debian, and Win7, all compartmentalized and safe the way it should be.

Also, if you only buy used thinkpads like you an eco-practical person should, you can save enough money to splurge on RAM and an SSD. I spent $240 and have a 2.7ghz i7, 16gb RAM and a 140gb SSD.

Did you get my invite?

8 GB is more than enough for most people. You can even get away with 4 GB but 8 GB should provide more wiggle room. Unless you have a specific use case, I see no point on going over 8 GB.

>[npc face]
>198X: Why would anybody need [big number]
>199X: Why would anybody need [big number]
>200X: Why would anybody need [big number]
>201X: Why would anybody need [big number]

infinity or die trying

If you run windows, even 7 but especially 10, 8 gigabytes isn't fucking enough! Just using a few chrome tabs and a spreadsheet at the same time gets pretty close to 8gb. I couldn't believe it. Of course with Debian the baseline is wayyyy lower and 8gb goes a lot further.

I got banned by the admin for necro a thread about a very specific problem that wasn't in the search result besides the thread I posted in.

windows 10 starts disk swapping heavily on 4 GB of ram, you definitely need minimum 8 GB to not commit sudoku at the end of a work session

Thanks, so i should swap out my disk for a larger one?

>If you run windows, even 7 but especially 10, 8 gigabytes isn't fucking enough!
Fuck off RAM shill. Literally half of the world uses 8GB for Windows and they are totally fine.
Only reason I got 16GB was because I do video editing but before that I had literally no problems running shit on 8GB. No difference in games either.

Ryzen CPU's have bad compatibility with 2x4GB RAM and need dual modules to be fast. So the only option left is 2x8GB.

I'm running 3 instances of a game server, allocated about 8GB per instance, using about 6GB per instance, and 8GB left for rest of the system.
Also, when I was digitizing and restoring my old family photos Abobo Photopoop would occasionally complain about running out of RAM

Literally none since 99.99% of games dont need more then 8GB.

a ramdrive

Loading your shitty website that has 100 unique javascript animations computed in the CPU.

wrong

Attached: file.png (605x858, 67K)

every year devs are even shitier at programing and game devs go full retard with engines that don't understand so games and programs end up with memory leaks or loading to much assets into the memory so eventually you will it cap and the computer freezes so having 8g more helps, the costs of having a bit more ram isn't that big do.

running windoes and chrome

Afaik Chrome uses RAM for caching, so...
See

storing your mums weight

If I have 32 GB RAM how much should I use for a ramdisk on Windows?

I have 192GB of ECC DDR3 in my main Linux server with XFS mdraid RAID10 for physical disk and it's so fucking fast. My entire system -is- effectively RAM cached. Compilation workloads almost never hit spinning rust and I have no need for fancy tiered caching of static web content or databases.

Webpages.