EGPU

is it a meme? is it better to buy a cheaper laptop where a processor wont bottleneck and will have a longer lifespan than the GPU, or just buy an expensive laptop and buy a new one when you want to upgrade?

Attached: meme.jpg (1600x1200, 197K)

Laptop for portability, desktop for raw performance, so yes, egpus are a meme

Nevermind I figured it out.

uh... what?

Based

I've found a Asus ROG Strix GL502VS with a GTX 1070, i7-7700HQ 8GB RAM for 1300EUR. I was wondering if I'd be able to at all find a eGPU set-up with a 1070 and an almost equivalent processor that wouldn't bottleneck my performance for under that 1300EUR price.

I can get an Aorus Gaming Box with a Gigabyte GTX 1070 for around 620EUR on Amazon, which leaves me with around 700EUR for a nice-ish laptop. It honestly doesn't have to be cutting edge or have the best screen, just needs Thunderbolt 3 and to have a processor with a longer lifespan than the eGPU, that way I could just buy a new eGPU for my next upgrade instead of a brand new laptop.

The fuck should I do?

It looks like he has figured it out

You need a decent laptop so you can plug the eGPU in and run it

It's a nice solution if you want a small laptop to play games but not melt whule sounding like a jet engine, provided you have no qualms about tb3 bottlenecking your card and being chained to a power outlet.

If you're the sort of person to buy a real bulked out gaming laptop which lasts for an hour gaming, you're probably better off just doing that though.

It's meme for a few reasons. But poorfags with old thinkpads and donated gpu from gamer friend will tell you it's the greatest thing.

thanks. thoughts on this?:

Using a thunderbolt connection you'll suffer a performance loss such that a gtx 1080 becomes somewhere between gtx1060 and 1070. Lots of actual tests online. It's not recommended as a futureproofing solution. Get a laptop and stick with it, else go with a desktop.

eGPU is not meant for gaymers, but data scientists in mind. CUDA and Tensorflow go along very nicely.

Totally not a meme if your desktop dies and your laptop only has onboard graphics.

so basically... egpus are a meme

Seems retarded unless you have extremely specific needs. You don't get portability with it anyway, so I'd just go with a desktop and in case I have some reason to need a mobile computer I'd buy something focused on portability and battery life instead of getting something with a fast, high-TDP CPU so it doesn't suck shit with games.

Gaming on a laptop is a pain regardless. It overheats, it's noisy, cooling system is almost designed to fail after year of heavy use and mobile CPUs are still quite crippled versions of desktop ones

>eGPU is not meant for gaymers
Yes it is. It's marketed to them.
>CUDA and Tensorflow go along very nicely.
And it's shit compared to proper GPU-server, which real scientists use.

if you always on the move like using ur laptop for work/school an eGPU would be a viable solution if you into gaming since u won't be carrying a huge ass laptop with you everyday

Based

Redpilled