/spg/ - Smartphone General

Mate 20 Pro Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Huawei-Mate-20-and-Pro-batch-2-8-1340x754.jpg (1340x754, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=9000#show
gizmochina.com/2018/11/12/miui-10-v8-11-8-beta-rom-opens-doors-for-google-camera-app-support/
youtu.be/7OgxWJ4Ewx8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just bought a Doogee Shoot 1. Very impressed.

I have s8+ for a year. It's all scratched up.

Redmeme Note 5 3GB RAM or 4GB
4GB costs like 40-50 Euro more. Is It needed when all I do is go on Social Media and browse the web?

So do I just ditch the backup I made before I installed Lineage OS?

oneplus 6 64gb, mi8 64gb, asus 5z 64gb or a samsung s8+?

Attached: jewitter_check.png (666x768, 63K)

Any Ausfags import an expensive phone?
I was thinking about trying to snag one of the 10gb Mi Mix 3 when its out but I'm assuming that will be more then $1000 AUD and I wanna know what sorta shit I would be getting into with GST or any other import fees.

Attached: xiaomi-mi-mix-3-the-palace-museum-editionjpg1540458317.jpg?v=1540458317.jpg (595x699, 97K)

When does an Android become obsolete? As in how many versions does it take till apps aren’t supported anymore?

Attached: Vnmrxmx.png (371x228, 126K)

Is this good?

Attached: Screenshot.png (1179x504, 451K)

>So do I just ditch the backup I made before I installed Lineage OS?
Yes. I'm not sure if the restore process will succeed and it's generally advised to use Odin for flashing Samsung firmwares.

The redmi 5 is €137 on amazon right now.
Should I bite? Or should I take the 5 plus for an additional 40 bucks? What about the Honor 6x/9 Lite, the Cubot X18 Plus and the Moto G6 3/32 (don't need more)?

Definitely not. 3 gigs is enough. I have a phone with 3 gigs and never felt like I need more ram. Save yourself 50 eurobucks user.

OP6

my s9 has no scratches and I use it without a case
I also drop it once a day

Mi A2 Lite should be around 150€ for the 3/32 storage version

>What about the Honor 6x/9 Lite
Locked bootloaders, soon to be three year old devices at this point, HiSilicon Kirins instead of Qualcomm Snapdragons, just about average or slightly above battery capacity.
>Moto G6
Snapdragon 450 and horrible battery life to boot.
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=9000#show
Redmi 5 Plus is your best bet, but why get it over the Redmi Note 5 3/32 GB?

gizmochina.com/2018/11/12/miui-10-v8-11-8-beta-rom-opens-doors-for-google-camera-app-support/
Native Gcam support on Miui.

i'm still on 5.1.1 lollipop and it continues to work, but i don't use any normie apps that much so i can't say if some cool new apps refuse to work

I fucking pulverize mine with a sledgehammer daily and it's in perfect condition

I drop atomic bombs on mine daily and it's like new you fucking noob kids. get on my level

It's so weird because I also don't have a case but I babysit mine. Even at work I put in on my wallet, not the desk directly most of the time. But still those rounded edges on the back look like shit.

Ah yeah, forgot about that
Not interested in bootloaders.
A friend of mine works at a repair shop and he always complains about the note series phones being pieces of crap that break after a few months

Answer me!

THREADLY REDPILL:

enjoy your 'innovashun' and 'curridge'
i.e.
>notches
>phones so thin and bezels so thin that you can't ever grip the phone properly, making drops more likely
>glass sandwich for more fragility
>lack of 3.5mm jack - carry dongles instead!
>lack of micro sd card slot - use da cloud and stream everything
>no SIM card slot - hurr durr le smart sim!!!
>high and higher pixel densities which are pointless because we're already at the point where you can't discern any more - even 1080 is the max anyone needs - 1440 is a meme that simply taxes the chip and thus the battery more
>smaller and smaller batteries (but we made it more 'efficient', goyim! less is more hehehe)
>no more fingerprint sensor - either it's under the screen, or it scans your face instead

>and now...FOLDABLE SCREENS! "i need a foldable screen!" (said no one). Just another solution to a problem no one had in the first place. That'll be three thousand dollars, goyim. You should buy it, don't you want to fund future INNOVASHUN?? You're holding humanity back, you're halting PROGRESS!

Face it, we reached peak smartphone about 3 years ago. Everything since then has been about making phones worse, not better (and more expensive for an ever worse experience)

Attached: 230.jpg (490x586, 14K)

>linux 4.9 on my Mi A1
Fast as fuck.

Attached: Screenshot_20181112-140847_Paramètres.png (1080x1920, 151K)

>Not interested in bootloaders
What does this have to do with the rest of your post which doesn't at all relate to your question about the Redmi 5 Plus, etc.?

>>What about the Honor 6x/9 Lite
>Locked bootloaders, soon to be three year old devices at this point

what are some midrange smartphones with good cameras?
I'm willing to sacrifice CPU, RAM, GPU, memory, even NFC just to get something with an acceptable camera that doesn't cost as much as a flagship

maybe try an lg v30? recently got one for 300$ new from ebay, with google cam its a great phone for the price.

Why don't you just get an actual camera?

Moto G5+ with GCam

Attached: IMG_20181019_232624.jpg (3145x2267, 2.75M)

You would think I do have a reason to get a smartphone with a good camera and not just an actual camera because I'm posting this in a smartphone thread and not a camera thread

You are asking to be ripped off. Mobile hardware is simply inferior. Something different was only tried with Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom.
youtu.be/7OgxWJ4Ewx8
Your best bet is any recent phone with camera2api support and Gcam.

I'm not talking about some camera-specialized phone though, just a smartphone that has a camera as its strong point (in the middle price range)

Get the Moto.

Does the SD 845 support Quick Charge 2.0? My Pocophone charges fine with any of the QC 3.0 chargers I got, same with any chargers that don't support Quick Charge at all.
But when using a Quick Charge 2 charger it just charges for 5-10 seconds, then disconnects, reconnects, charges for 5-10 seconds and then repeats that forever.

Quick Charge tech is backwards compatible so a QC4.0 compatible phone will fast charge with a QC2.0 charger (at QC2.0 speeds), and a QC4.0 charger will fast charge a QC2.0 compatible phone (at QC2.0 speeds). I guess your QC2.0 charger is simply broken somehow.

Is it worth paying the premium for a LTE Band 71 phone on T-Mobile USA if I'll keep the phone for at least a year? Lost my iPhone SE last night.

If so I'll be restricted to either:
LG V30 ($200 on Craigslist; but I'd have to really check it out or ask for proof it's paid off)
LG G7 ($400, eBay/Craigslist)
Galaxy S8 Active ($300 on eBay)
Galaxy S9 ($400, eBay).

Requirements: Expandable storage
Budget: $400
In order of importance: Good radio/telephony, battery life, camera, and durability.

Buy a DSLR you dumb zoomer

Yeah, shame. It worked fine on other phones. Maybe it just shits the bed when coupled with Xiaomi.

My Xperia XZ Premium seems to be missing/skipping touches randomly and frequently, what can I do short of sending it to Sony for repairs? The last few devices I sent to them, they gave it back to me with the issues still persisting.

Meizu 16 6/128 $350 on aliexpress

What's the life expectancy of non-removable batteries in the 3000-4000 mAh range? If I don't on raping them with social media and +20 background apps, that is.
I'm upgrading from my ancient, rackety S3 mini and didn't notice non-removables became the norm overnight

Attached: 1484523646740.png (620x640, 260K)

Batteries typically have about 85% of their original capacity after 2-3 years. In other words it's a non issue since people replace their phones so fast anyway. It's not like 2010 where your battery was at 50% after 18 months

Should I buy Nokia 7.1 or is there any better phone for same price?

That's a bit like asking for leather heated seats in a Dacia car. They sorta keep the premium stuff in the premium phones to some extent. So yeah not gonna happen unfortunately. Also a lot of the fancy advanced processing, high framerate recording, HDR and such requires the more expensive SoCs.

I guess Galaxy S7 or S8 would be the best option if I really want a decent camera? how about the cheaper Samsung phones like A7 2018 etc?

source: your ass

phones lose up to 20% per year. my 2 year old phone has 66% battery health according to accubattery.

the only difference is samsung flagships after the note 7. samsung went crazy with battery security so their new batteries degrade by 5% per year of use.

Well that makes sense since I'm talking about the only phones that matter.

Tho you should still avoid going 100-0-100-0 all the time since that will fuck up your battery after a couple of years.
Try to keep it above 20% and you should have a good time.

What about be a good upgrade from redmi note 5 pro? Need one with good touchscreen response at least

Just get a used Pixel 2

My 4850 mAh Mi Max is now at like 90% capacity after like 2 years and a few months. If you don't fall for the glass back meme it's generally quite easy to replace the battery if required.

Definitely go for a phone with as big of a battery as possible and an efficient cpu. I think only charging every 1.5-2 days really helps keep your battery in shape. Also having more capacity than needed for a day allows you to charge to 80 or 90 percent if you want, which also reduces damage done.
Also if you have a really weak

I dunno, guess it's a good phone. Personally want to pay less but it's still new.

Also this is true in addition to
It's pretty good to just charge your phone when it's at 40% and you're near a charger anyway instead of waiting til you're at 10% or so. No need to even charge it to 100 either. Better if you don't.

Also install accubattery, it's a pretty good guide and a way to monitor your battery's slow march towards death.

why would it be better to not charge to 100%?

why would a battery want to be not fully charged?

the closer you get to 100% the more wear the battery suffers.

charging to 80% equals 0.15 cycles in wear
charging to 100% equals 0.90 cycles in wear

where did you read this? i've never heard this before

i've heard discharging is bad but not that charging is bad

Every word of this post is correct. God damn it

All those changes are thanks to Apple and everyone else copying them
fuck you Jobs you should have burned the company

>aquarius X2 4GB/64GB version could be had for 265€ in hurrmany
>i fucking missed it

i hope black friday brings an equally good deal because i'm definitely pulling the trigger when it's that cheap

time to repair
my XZ's screen cracked in May, they returned it in 2 months, I had the same problems as you. The screen was not responsive in the middle and it would skip and run amok all by itself, I gave it back in late July and I have yet to receive it.
Next time my Sony phone has any problems I'm tossing it out and buying a new phone, it's not worth the hassle.

forgot to add:
only reason I stuck with Xperias was because they had bezels, no notches, 3.5 jacks and I liked their interface. If Sony keeps fucking up with the XZ4/XZ5 I'll have to buy chinkshit. Short of Samsung, I don't think anyone else makes notchless phones except some of the chink brands. Crying shame, really.

>Short of Samsung, I don't think anyone else makes notchless phones
Not anymore I'm afraid.

Do xperias still have god tier battery life?
My is 4 years old now, and still going strong. Used to be able to get multiple days out of it, but I still get about a day and change now with Stamina.

I kind of want to upgrade though, it just seems dated compared to newer phones though it still works fine

You can trivialize and put a negative spin on literally anything.
It's a poorly constructed post filled with shit opinions and you'd be stupid to take it seriously

Attached: 1234134.webm (1080x1920, 1.21M)

Should I buy a refurbished V20? From Aliexpress?

>Should I buy a refurbished V20?
if it's manufacturer refurbished, sure
>From Aliexpress?
lol no

most interesting thanks

What do you guys think of the Samsung A5 (2017) I could buy one at Costco for 377$ (CAD bux) I don't really like the ui skin they run on top though. How hard is it go get stock android ? Also is there a good dust proof case for this phone

Get a Galaxy s7

god no, get a Nokia 6.1 if you any affordable stock android

Is there a better phone out now than the S9+? I'm thinking of trading mine.

My XZ gets great performance and it takes less than 2 hours for a full charge, I love it. Shame about the shit experience I've had with Sony servicing. Also
>4 years old
don't batteries degrade with time? Get the XZ Premium, it's the only legit Xperia left. Or get a chink phone.

yes, the LG V40

t. Apple shareholder
let me know when they start remaking phones with no notches, without shitty fingerprint sensor placement, with 3.5mm jacks and with SIM/SD card slots
it's not just shit opinions it's the direction things are going in thanks to Apple

What's so good about LGs?

>headphone jack
>mSD Support
>OLED screens
>not samshit

Oh, mostly boomer features. Got it

>LG
you must be joking, right?

technology is changing and have been forever, how is this news to you?
>phones have to be only as they were in 2014
good thing that you're a nobody and your shit opinion doesn't matter

Should I cancel my pocophone order and go for meizu 16 instead? They cost almost the same

does somebody know cheap phone i can get for my grandma?

Yeah, tell her to get the Ligma phone

I remember reading about cellphone battery life and most people recommending 20-80% charges, seems like that shit was correct

ligambalss hahahahaha

Attached: 1495050119743.gif (295x270, 1.73M)

>reddit

Attached: bladerunner-624x438.jpg (624x438, 25K)

>clear plastics are back
Nice !

Attached: mi-8-pro-01.jpg (900x506, 49K)

>...but it's just decoration
Oh...

Attached: file.png (703x437, 367K)

Is this entirely the fault of that bald youtube faggot?

Moto Z3 Play, LG V30, or Samsung Galaxy S9?

S9

Is 128 GB overkill or is 64 good enough?

Even for $200 more than the Z3/V30?

well that's retarded

Well he's pretty damn popular so he probably had some impact
*scrapes metal surface with razor blade like a fucking sociopath*

just ordered this, what now?

Attached: lg-v30-en-plata-de-64gb-y-4gb-ram-h930.jpg (600x600, 25K)

Depends on your usage habits
Do you take a lot of photos/videos? Do you listen to mp3/flac and don't use streaming services like Spotify? Do you need to have 15 different big games and movies on your phone at any given time?
If Yes then 64gb might not be enough.
I personally just got 6T with 128gb, and I know that I won't be filling even half of it over next few years