I'm coming from a 2014 MBP that I quite enjoyed, but that died on me in an unfortunate accident...

I'm coming from a 2014 MBP that I quite enjoyed, but that died on me in an unfortunate accident, and it's time for a replacement.

What makes modern MBPs so hated? And what's the best alternative that ticks the same boxes while avoiding those issues?

Attached: 26909-39215-macbook-pro-13-inch-touch-bar-review00017-xl.jpg (1320x743, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8
youtube.com/watch?v=dyW2x5CBh3k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get the air, if you don't care for performance.
Get the Pro if you want the 15 inch.
or a refurbished 2015 model.

MacOS is still worth it.

Memebar, unreliable keyboards and the worst throttling in the business.

I'm in a similar situation, OP. The Air seems to be the best option but I'm a little hesitant because of the processor. I don't do anything more intense than watch 1080p video so it would probably be fine

Needs to be able to handle photoshop/lightroom, and mildly demanding network simulations in linux VMs. I have a desktop PC at home for heavy lifting but I'd be a bit hesitant about the Air. Fucking dual core CPUs in 2018.

What's so bad about the memebar other than it being a bit of a gimmick? It's unnecessary but it's not like it drives the price up that much, I'd say the price gap between 2018 and 2017 MBPs is more so down to the hardware used.

Who would buy a macbook when pic related exists?

Attached: huawei-matebook-x-pro-nvidia-geforce-mx-150.png (851x814, 334K)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Attached: Craplel_CuckBook_Poo.png (1399x818, 385K)

The keyboard is either the worst thing in the world or the best thing since sliced bread depending on who you talk to,

>1 gen and 2 gen butterfly keyboards were getting broken all the time also it takes some time to get used to
>2 cores in 13 inch mbp(until this year models)
>price
The previous gens were shit(I am only talking about current gen) now you have double the cores and they solved throttling and keyboard issues but it's still costs a lot even for apple.

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge & loose at bottom
>flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to non-click touchpads
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX has horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a heavy 95WHr battery
>even XTREME GAMER laptops like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Windows laptops in battery life
>huge battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>abysmally crippled cooling system leads to constant overheating
>constant overheating leads to chronic throttling to 800mhz
>heat exhaust BLOWS HOT AIR ONTO SCREEN
>screen assembly HELD TOGETHER WITH GLUE
>retina meme for "pros" have have glossy mirror screen impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
>same problems as above plus:
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>memetouch emojibar
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life
>no USB-A
>no escape
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>keyboard fails and requires $700 repair if a speck of dust gets under a key
>apple will brick your memebook with T2 killswitch if you go to an independent shop

>it's 2018 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously

>macshit literally has the build quality of a $200 acer for 10x the price
youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Attached: 1512773868472.jpg (656x611, 84K)

I love my computers to come pre-loaded with Chinese RootKits.

I tried the keyboard in a store and after a minute of adjustment it felt perfectly fine to use. Not much travel on them but I likd the way my fingers basically bounce off the keys, I'd rather have a shallow tactile keyboard than a spongy one. Compared it to a 2017 model though and I definitely see why it was hated, I wouldn't be able to deal with the noise on a laptop, these sorts of devices are supposed to be discreet.

>huge glowing "i suck cocks" logo on lid
>"""""""discreet""""""""""

i mean, i love that butterfly keyboard. there isn't anything yet on the market that would be similar enough in feel to it while not being an overpriced macbook?

>macshit literally has the build quality of a $200 acer for 10x the price
I have a 10 year old 200€ Acer Aspire One that's completely functional and still in good condition.

based

>and mildly demanding network simulations in Linux VMs
Get the 15-inch MBP.

>mildly demanding network simulations in Linux VMs
>MBP
Macshit can't even run 1 VM without grinding to a crawl.

>Needs to be able to handle photoshop/lightroom
*INHALES*
AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1541983548928.png (1280x888, 1.08M)

>Memebar
Never was a problem. Touch Bar did nothing wrong.
>unreliable keyboards
Blown way out of proportion but fixed anyway in the 2018 models.

Attached: huge internet fight.jpg (465x261, 48K)

>was never a problem
Because you say so.
>fixed
Zero evidence.
And you conveniently left out the throttling. No retorts in your shill script?

Attached: macshills.jpg (4500x3000, 1.6M)

>t. street shitting ipajeet

Attached: 1524932268932.png (690x793, 159K)

but user the logo isn't glowing since a few years already

>Touch Bar was never a problem.
It's true though. It doesn't slow down the workflow at all, and only serves to make certain tasks a tiny bit faster. Adjusting volume and brightness no longer requires taptaptapping or holding, you just drag it to where you want in one very swift motion.
The same thing applies to tasks like scrubbing to a particular part of a video or song. You don't have to move your mouse or use the number line or arrow keys anymore. It's just faster in a way that hotkeys can't really make up for. And you'd think the lack of tactile feedback makes the Touch Bar harder for touch typists to use, but actually muscle memory tends to take over once you get used to it and it doesn't slow you down at all. And the esc and fn keys are still there, they're just virtual. You can make the Touch Bar only display function keys if you want.
There's nothing to complain about with the Touch Bar, really.

>fixed
>>zero evidence
The complaints over this issue were never that plentiful to begin with but the legitimate complaints have almost entirely subsided.
youtube.com/watch?v=dyW2x5CBh3k

You realized you just posted an article from The Outline, right? A news source fronted by Joshua Topolsky, who is infamous for pumping out highly sensationalist headline articles. Not to mention that The Outline is brand new, meaning they need as many page views and clicks as they can get, and since Apple hate is often extremely popular with viewers, articles like these are only inevitable.

2 rupees have been deposited at your designated shitting street Pajeet.

vacuum sealed argument

I wouldn't be able to develop iOS apps, since Xcode *only* runs on apple hardware.

no one cares about your fart apps poojeet

weird. i'm typing on my 2011 mbp 15". i do java dev as well as ios and android dev on it. i've never had a problem with this machine. maybe i got lucky and didn't get any of the shit you listed. or maybe you're a lying sack of shit.

That video.
>The S key is almost totally broken on my 2015 MacBook,
Funny, because the butterfly switches didn't show up until 2016. MacBook Pros were still using the traditional scissor switches in 2015.

Surely someone wouldn't just go on the internet and tell lies, would they?
I wonder how many people actually complained to Apple about the keyboard, and not to Twitter.

Attached: 2015 macbook pro.jpg (620x413, 108K)

do you realize how fucking dumb you sound saying something like that? like, we *all* know what a native-english speaker sounds like when they talk/type. but you, somehow, haven't figured it out yet.

wow, is that the best response you can come up with? i have a feeling fart apps actually appeal to you.

>*all*

Attached: BACK TO REDDIT.png (314x54, 2K)

Wrong board. Back to with your manchild fruit toys.

Attached: 1530881057468.png (400x1650, 367K)

>this pic again
Literally all those things belong on Jow Forums. It's threads about what you're supposed to do with them that belongs on other boards.

>Back to with your manchild fruit toys.
said the thinkpad user

A librebooted Thinkpad X60

keyboard and emoji bar are shit

the rest is ok

Then there's absolutely no point to this thread. You've already made your decision, you're stuck with the MBP.

Yeah the 2011 was good, that's why Apple had to deprecate it, no more updates for it. Gotta love planned obsolence.

Google "hackintosh". Set one up.

OP here
that ain't me

Applies to both. There's no better alternative, you either live with the Apple's faults, which they refuse to fix for years just because they don't want to say they're wrong.

Alternatively, just move to a cheaper, more powerful laptop with some other OS. Windows is great for "just werks" and has all of the creative suite that Apple has. Linux systems can require effort, but they're endearing, and they can be fun to learn about, much like a hobby in a way.

>Alternatively, just move to a cheaper, more powerful laptop with some other OS.
I'm just looking for one that's also still portable, has a good keyboard and trackpad, and doesn't come with a 200 nit, 65% sRGB, 1080p dogshit display.

>>OSX has horrendous battery management
Then why does the MBP 15 twice as long as the X1 Extreme with a similar sized battery and slightly longer than the XPS 15 with a bigger battery?

Attached: thingken.gif (220x309, 30K)

>and doesn't come with a 200 nit, 65% sRGB, 1080p dogshit display.
Macshit displays have always been atrocious chinktrash at their price range.

Attached: 1523490102739.png (689x679, 449K)

not him but I also have a 2011 mbp 15"
I was really sad when they deprecated it. I guess I'll use it till software stops working then install linux on it

>good keyboard
Stopped reading there, because the 2016 and beyond keyboards are absolute trash. The rest of your sentence must be filled with distasteful opinions.