Good linux distros?

Good linux distros, and what makes it good ~for you~ (i-if you have the time to write about it)
this is essentially a counter-thread to the one yesterday asking about the worst distro you've ever used.

Attached: k5d98zzqo7w11.jpg (960x540, 73K)

gentoo

Arch
I get all of the new shit quick and without effort

Debian. It's universal.
Debian sid on my desktop
Debian stable on my servers
and it's available for a large number of architectures.

openSUSE
It just works.

CentOS - the enterprise networks I deal with are all redhat based. Kernel is way behind, but stable as fuck.
Other daily driver: Gentoo - great for development and testing once you get the hang of portage and layman. Learn lots, lets me keep up with changes to the kernel that CentOS won't see for 5+ years.

Arch
>Best user repository
>Helpful community
>Latest software so I don't have to worry about software patches and features being late
>Rolling so it's install once and leave forever
The biggest con is the installation difficulty, but it's a trade off, and I think there are 3rd party installers for it now anyway.

That being said, I do also like Kubuntu as an easy just werks thing I can throw on a computer.

Wtf you're literally me

Ubuntu MATE

GuixSD:
pros:
- functional package management and system configuration
- ability to roll back packages or entire system
- install multiple versions of the same package
- reproducible builds
- no root required to install packages
- possibility to create portable binaries
- free as in freedom
- no systemd
- uses guile scheme for packaging, system configuration and services
- active community

cons:
- not stable yet (as in api changes etc., it actually runs really stable)
- small userbase and community
- slow servers, few mirrors
- some useful packages might be missing (but packaging stuff is easy)
- some useful services might be missing (but creating services is easy)
- no lvm support (just use btrfs)
- somewhat hard to install
- free as in freedom means limited hardware support

None
Install Windows

By GNU/Linux standard, only Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu are "good". Everything else is a sad meme for people trying too hard. But if you go by real world standards, then all distros are bad; they are server OSes for machines that perform a narrow set of specialized tasks, and have nothing to offer to common users.

he's a funny guy!!

The aur us seriously compelling. All of the software I use is in it. Well almost all. I am just worried about the general maintenance Arch requires. I need my system up and working so I can use it

Void

i have the opposite problem, i getting sick of updates breaking small things on my system (like my window manager when i updated some c library) that i need to spent the whole afternoon fixing. FFS, i just wanted a stable arch distro that allows me to still use the AUR

fedora

Does the AUR give such problems?
I don't use it, because I don't really feel like checking if the package is trustworthy, and stuff doesn't break on my system.

This, made the switch for webdev streetshier status and liking it so far. Just need to grab Photoshop and all done.

i'm a brainlet who doesn't check the packages so i can't really speak about the trustwhorthiness of them but i've never had any problems with aur packages breaking. :p

this

Stop with macacoposting, please

Debian is the most stable, but I really want to try Antergos. The AUR would make my life so much easier.

Devuan with XFCE: no systemd and XFCE is absolutely god tier

How is
>no root required to install packages
a good thing?

typing sudo and a pass word is too much work

no need to add users to sudo so they can install software
they're not gonna be able to do any damage to the system because they don't have the privileges and they don't have to ask the admin to for permission to install their favorite text editor or whatever

Jesus Christ I'm so glad I dumped everything GNU a while ago, if that's what their mentality is

What about everything linux?

Do you know of many functioning linux distros that don't use GNU coreutils?
openBSD

Debian
It has never broken on me from the beginning through my noob years til now that I am a confirmed veteran user. What is more, when everything goes wrong with some shitty project of mine, Debian will not. It is there doing its thing, I can count on it and that's all that matters.
In my university years windows would wait until I had some report due midnight or when some project needs finishing and would shit itself sending me in panic mode to panic city. The thing woulda been the end of me If I had stayed with it.

He is clearly referring to Android, Routers, TVs and all the other shit that uses Linux.

>Ubuntu MATE
ugh

I just tried Manjaro and felt disappointed that I couldn't get the fan speed management to work properly, what distro has everything set out of the box?, I used to have Debian but ever since I'm a wagecuk I don't have much time for fiddling with small details and fixing shit, is mint any better?, I just want something that works for browsing and development but I want my hardware to work out of the box (ryzen + asus motherboard + nvidia1060).

slackware