Ugh... what could have been

ugh... what could have been...

Attached: still a second-class citizen in 2018.jpg (1634x1155, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB#Using_UEFI_directly
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's wrong with UEFI?

It's not coreboot

What is not?
I have yet to think of a single case in which I said to myself "hmm, bios is not enough to boot my machine, I need a small OS between boot and bootloader for my actual OS..."

That's probably because the only experience you have with bootloaders is dualbooting windows and arch so you can feel like a hacker but still play your games

the fact that the U in it is a lie, which is why the rEFInd codebase is essentially a hundred different special cases and Grub 2 still requires BIOS emulation in 2018

nope, neither windows nor arch. nice try.

It's useful in corporate environments but that's something that closeted *nx shills would never understand.

Patience. Legacy mode will be shifted out the spec in 2020.

>it's grubs fault efi is bad
Check out this freetard

Windows Boot Manager doesn't have this problem.
The macOS loader doesn't have this problem.
In fact, no other boot loaders have this problem.
>but yeah these shitty open sores boot loaders have trouble uefi is obviously to blame

Finally someone who actually understands the real retarded shit Intel has come up with.

I'll add onto the list of stupid ass UEFI designs, include it's own programming language that get compiled into byte code, and requires an interpreter to run on the other end by the OS.

Getting your memory map and controlling the power button could not have been harder.

Attached: 1537220280886.jpg (746x599, 172K)

The only good thing about UEFI is secure boot and half the machines don't let you add your own keys anyway

>don't let you add your own keys anyway
This is actually a good thing - it stops people using shitty OSs, with the endless problems that come with that.

>tfw Open Firmware didn't take over
Drivers could be a non-issue, even on obscure shit like Haiku. But no, we had to switch to UEFI.

>UEFI can't even do bootloading

It could've obviated the need for grub entirely, but nooooooo.

Should I wipe my CSM OS and reinstall with UEFI? Is there any real advantages?

>Should I wipe
>any real advantages?
dude, are you missing something in CSM? if not, why the fuck do you ask for more?

>using GRUB with UEFI
Just boot the kernel directly you fucktard. That's what UEFI is for.

yeah uefi is pretty iffy

it was shilled by Microsoft as a way improve security at boot but all it did was make it harder to run linux on alot of normie laptops :/

Jesus Christ, I bet most people here are freetards with 2008 hardware that does not even have uEFI.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB#Using_UEFI_directly

>it's UEFIs fault that OEMs are retards
How again? When UEFI itself does not have that problem.

citation needed

you know, because

If it were mandatory in the spec you'd have half a chance of OEMs not disabling it.

I don't get what it's so bad about it. With UEFI I don't even need a bootloader, just use a startup.nsh file in /boot, it just werks.