Arte da capa 1.1.1.1: Faster & Safer Internet

>Greater privacy
>By using a secure connection, 1.1.1.1 makes sure no one can snoop your DNS queries.
Some ISPs use DNS queries to sell your data. Cloudflare will never sell your data or use it to target ads. Period.
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudflare.onedotonedotonedotone

キター!

Attached: unnamed.png (180x180, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-1111/
blog.uncensoreddns.org
dns.watch
adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html
support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172576-How-does-Cloudflare-make-money-
quora.com/How-does-Cloudflare-make-money-with-their-1-1-1-1-DNS-service
nlnetlabs.nl/projects/unbound/about/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>no one can poopity scoop your DNS queries
they are not even encrypted

They're tho, TLS.

Mine are

Attached: DNS.png (1824x808, 106K)

>unbound
redpill me about it. is it worth?

I think it's worth it. I have block lists for ads and malware. I also use ublock origin on browsers to block js and make the pages look better but blocking at the router for all devices outside of browsers is nice.

The only sane choice.

>Cloudflare will never sell your data or use it to target ads. Period.
How do we knowing they're not full of it. That said, it's better than Google's DNS.

If it's free, you are the product. Period.

Exactly my thinking

Just like linux and bsd

This can be true without any spying. Or are you suggesting that Linux and bsd don't have any users that donate.

>This can be true without any spying.
So why can't that apply to cloudflare as well?

Who is donating code or money to cloudflare. I'll wait.

Business customers who pay them?

blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-1111/

Attached: Screenshot_20181112-213804_Firefox.jpg (1080x945, 301K)

blog.uncensoreddns.org
dns.watch
adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

If you use anything else you are a cuck

This is a terrible way of thinking. It's not free, it's a public service. You can access it for free, but they pay to host it. The thing is though, is that they're hosting a DNS service, that they themselves probably want and need to maintain anyway.
You being on it benefits them only insofar as it probably gets you to CF hosted sites more reliably, which are not likely to change often anyway I would assume.

The whole thing just seems like a problem with centralized systems. Needing to point to a single DNS instead of something like DHT, seems like the only reason people get skeptical. As if you can't trust the single party, which maybe you shouldn't. But what options do you have? Use something distributed and zero trust? Would encryption even help here since they own the server?

They are still providing something for free. Is there an incentive to buying something from them if you use 1.1.1.1? If not, they make that money from free users some other way. This isn't rocket science.

>Not running your own recursive resolver

>It's not free, it's a public service.
LMAO
>You can access it for free, but they pay to host it.
No shit
>The thing is though, is that they're hosting a DNS service, that they themselves probably want and need to maintain anyway.
>Implying a public service is as expensive as an internal one
>it probably gets you to CF hosted sites more reliably
Then they solved a problem that didn't exist
>The whole thing just seems like a problem with centralized systems
>Solving a decentralized system for looking up domain names (anyone can run their own recursive resolver) with a centralized resolver
>Use something distributed and zero trust?
What are you even talking about

This thread has been brought to you by paid CloudFlare shills.

Attached: sage.jpg (512x527, 119K)

Do any other DNS services get professionally audited?

>What are you even talking about
>Then they solved a problem that didn't exist
The problem seems to be DNS not actually being as distributed as the name implies. You seem skeptical to trust cloudflare for some reason, the fact that the system relies on you to trust them, is inherently bad.
What alternative do you have besides manually setting up and maintaining a local DNS instance?
This is something that should be taken care of by the network layer of the OS automatically.

>This is something that should be taken care of by the network layer of the OS automatically.
Are you suggesting that the OS should look up domain names using magic? You know how DNS works right?

>Are you suggesting that the OS should look up domain names using magic?
I'm saying the configurations and mechanisms are archaic, only remaining because of legacy.
I would honestly rather see a system wide DHT, utilized by multiple applications instead of domain names. Node/Peer ID's are more specific and permanent than domain names and ephemeral IP addresses.

DNS should be deprecated.

>arte da capa
what

>shilling for clourflare again

kek

Just run a recursive resolver if you don't want to trust cloudflare. It's not that hard. Just don't have it be public for obvious reasons.

> It's not free, it's a public service

Now this is a shill post.

The fact that this isn't the standard, is what is bothering me.
This should be part of the OS setup in a more involved way than just picking "A" server after selecting your interface.
You can boil these down to a TUI style human friendly 3 page ncurses questionnaire easily.

>do you want to try using *curated DNS server* over *your router*?
>>Why? They might be faster than your ISPs, but might not work if you live in China.
And have some automated test to see if it fucks up or is incompatible with your network.
>do you want to try to encrypt queries?
>>Why? FBI.

The big difference in regards to software, is that things like free programs last forever. A free service does not. When they lose all their money, the service ceases to exist.
The question is less, "do they use my data for funds?" and more "how do they currently get funds and what does it cost them to host dns?".
It's silly to jump to the conclusion that just because something is publicly accessible, that it is inherently malicious. There's no basis.

Do you honestly think the NPCs want to have anything to do with answering questions for their DNS? They already dislike remembering their own passwords and WiFi networks. They just don't care. The only people who do care, are those who don't need a questionnaire.

I don't disagree but there are many profit models that use "whales" or other premium members to support a large amount of free users without the need to take anything from them. Most websites and products choose to do this model as well as some other in tandem which is why it seems like they're always taking from free users.

>I don't disagree but there are many profit models that use "whales" or other premium members to support a large amount of free users without the need to take anything from them
Usually never lasts unless they profit off of it somehow. For example, Twitter used to have zero ads because they had so much investment. Not true anymore.

>*curated DNS server* over *your router*
fixed:
>>*curated DNS server* instead of *your routers dns server IP most likely*

And I don't mean to argue for or against DNS here. I'm only saying that the state of things should be better. If we have all these protocol extensions and standards, but are not using them by default by now, we should consider doing so, or using something else that supersedes this system.

It's too stupid to me, that something as critical as name resolution, is so fragile and also has privacy concerns for the sake of compatibility, built in.
The fact that name resolution is a critical part of networking to begin with, is a bit silly.
I really think the content addressable stuff is going to take off eventually. And things like domains will be more often represented as media, like images and QR codes, instead of a human friendly string. Why should it need to be? Just direct me to the resource I'm trying to locate, I don't care who hosts it. If I want to locate a peer, I can use their identifier instead of conflating these 2 constructs.

It's all ass.

>Do you honestly think the NPCs want to have anything to do with answering questions for their DNS?
No, which is why they need SOMETHING friendly.
And regardless of if you or I can do it, we need the majority of the network if we ever want to see things change. We can't just keep adding optional extensions and workarounds as a global collective. There has to be a better way. Shit like CORAL existed and was fast as shit.

>Usually never lasts unless they profit off of it somehow
Yeah no shit. I play a gacha game for example and have spent zero actual dollars on it but about $2700 in in game currency. No ads, no surveys or cooldowns. I play the same game as everyone else because a handful of people spent a shitload every month. Like I said though most companies try and get as many sources of profit as possible to keep themselves going. Another example would be an artist using patreon. I get the artwork but don't pay anything while others fund it and maybe get perks because of that.

>tell some third party every site you visit
lmaonade

>No, which is why they need SOMETHING friendly
If something can be configured in zero steps, the NPCs will always opt for it.
Source: any popular software

Yes, thats how DNS works...
>inb4
>I pull from roots servers
Is that not a third party too?

But cloudflare literally can't make money off of 1.1.1.1 since it's public, free, and the same for everyone. It's not like you can pay for perks or better speed as you can in those mobile games. It's not comparable.

At least it's harder to track. Only your ISP can know.

>cloudflare literally can't make money off of 1.1.1.1
I should add that they could make money if they tracked users and sold the data.

support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172576-How-does-Cloudflare-make-money-

ISP's have a lot more to lose if they do dodgy shit, what does some free service have to lose?

Nope not trusting it

Meant to post this

Attached: thanks reddit.jpg (1080x1137, 357K)

>Cloudflare operates off of a freemium model, which means we offer both free and paid services to users. Users that upgrade topaid Cloudflare plansget more advanced caching, customization and security features than free plans Cloudflare can also monetize our service by offering a number of popular web applications through theCloudflare app store.
Explain how this works with a simple DNS service that treats all uses the exact same no matter how much money the user spends. 1.1.1.1 DOESN'T have special perks for paying users. What is hard to understand about this? It doesn't matter how they make money with other products.

Researching traffic is a form of tracking. And they are researching ALL the traffic not just the junk. Also, they only promised it would be for research for the first few years after that they will actually be given the IP. No one knows what they plan after. They might even drop the whole thing (I doubt it though)

quora.com/How-does-Cloudflare-make-money-with-their-1-1-1-1-DNS-service

=1

>Argument 1
Doesn't actually answer the question
>Argument 2
Publicly? Seriously? I don't know a single person who learned what cloudflare is because of 1.1.1.1. Either they are into DNS and internet infrastructure and they already knew about cloudflare or they don't care.
>Argument 3
It doesn't even make that much sense. DNS actually has extremely little traffic relatively speaking compared to every other thing cloudflare does.

The REAL reason they are doing this is because it is extremely likely cloudflare will be given the IP to keep at the end of the loan. This time, no research restrictions.

this shilling is just so fucking obnoxious
nlnetlabs.nl/projects/unbound/about/
here's how you actually fucking protect your goddamned dns privacy

>encrypting your DNS, then sending it to botnet

Attached: 1539962088816.png (684x733, 547K)

>running your own resolver
it looks like an overkill to run it standalone on your pc. maybe it's okay if you have a raspberry or something.

>Running it on your PC
That's indeed retarded. I have it on 2 Raspberries.

Reminder that CuckFlare is a MITM and often breaks SSL. They also glow in the dark

how about you google the definition of what a public service is

>The REAL reason
Fuck off, you don't know shit. Also, scroll down to the other answers from the people who work there.

Source?

>anime
Can't take you seriously.

They get audited every year by a professional 3rd party company. Until that ends, you're full of shit.

if you want encryption and you don't have a single board pc it's either running it on your pc or giving up on encrypted dns.

thats like saying facebook cant make money because its public and free

and if you mean public as in no registration needed, that doesnt matter, see google, youtube

so this is safe or not?

No, get a job

>get a job
?

Why not read the audit reports? Don't listen to a bunch of neets who spew opinions and speculation.