Could someone please explain what's the deal with everyone being so resistant to embrace Libre Office and always citing...

Could someone please explain what's the deal with everyone being so resistant to embrace Libre Office and always citing lack of compatibility or format breaking?
My job doesn't require a lot of writing, and although I understand how spreadsheet compatibility could be an issue, I can't see what kind of complex shit could be written in MS Word that would require you to stick to proprietary software.
I mean, anything related to publishing is generally done in some Adobe software anyway, what is everyone doing in MS Word that is so complex in terms of formatting?

Attached: LibreOffice-Writer[1].png (400x516, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML

MS's proprietary "open" XML changes every fucking version so they can vendor lock-in users

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

If you use ODF, you don't have this problem

They aren't. Most people that use word are fairly technically illiterate and asking them to use different software is like asking them to learn a foreign language. My dad refused to use anything but some old shit like word 1998 for years until it was so broken that he switched to libre (mostly since micro$hit tries to charge subscription fees for office now)

It used to be that people would e-mail you a Word doc. That doesn't even happen anymore.

Excel >>> Calc

I use It, but It os a little shitty when I have to exclude some lines in the middle of a table.

>micro$hit tries to charge subscription fees for office now)
Isn't that only for Office 365? I'm pretty sure standard ones are still on pay-once model. Also
>not just installing cracked version

>It used to be that people would e-mail you a Word doc. That doesn't even happen anymore.
Now they email you a Word docx. Sometimes a pdf.

He probably just lied to his father to convince him to use freetardware.

Just use LaTeX.

just use Word Online or Google Docs

These people go through payed education to learn Microsoft's office tools for years. Do you think they are capable to switch? When they "invested" so much time and energy to learn MSO in the first place?

It's because we rejected her

Attached: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (725x1000, 84K)

>Could someone please explain what's the deal with everyone being so resistant to embrace Libre Office and always citing lack of compatibility or format breaking?
1. tech illiterate normalfags refusing to use anything they used before
2. Jow Forums retards thinking they NEED ms office. Protip faggot: you don't.

because its shit

I use LibreOffice for home stuff, but I must admit it still does have some stability problems every now and then, either hanging up for a few minutes doing fuck knows what or simply crashing to desktop.
It's not necessarily problem with the LibreOffice itself, but it's an open source application that depends on other open source resources and somewhere in this long chain of dependencies something is certainly fucked up.

Writer is mostly ok. Impress is a pile of fucking dogshit that breaks entirely on its own. Calc lacks basic functionality in several areas.

its shit, use latex

this! except it always bugs me that its unironically 4gb

Surprised to see no one mention Draw: it's relatively easy and fast to draw flowcharts and diagrams with, which can be nicely embedded in a LaTeX document if you wish.

I only use Draw as a Visio alternative.
But Calc cant compete with Excel. I need Pivot Charts all the time.
Some people on here said that SoftMakerOffice is a good alternative to MS Office because its perfectly compatible and its available on Linux.
Before switching to Linux I tried a cracked version of Softmaker 2018, and while it really has perfect compatibility, it doesnt have the pivot chart feature yet.
see: forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?t=16614
Once Softmaker 2018 comes with pivot charts, I will switch to Linux and unironically buy the Softmaker Linux version.

They're retarded and don't realize that format breaking only happens because LibreOffice doesn't ship with Microsoft fonts and are too stupid to just sudo apt install mscorefonts or whatever.

>reject blob of triangles
>destroy LO

Can tell you don’t have a real job.
Letter writing, resumes, excel integration, designing brochures, eBooks, 3D models, charts, inserting references for academic work, Outlook integration, Mail Merge, plus its powerful review tools.
>WAA STOP IMPROVING THINGS
Wrong. The most common attachments are .docx, .doc. .pdf and .zip.
This
>payed
Clearly you didn’t even get a free education.
Cringe
>Jow Forums retards thinking they NEED ms office. Protip faggot: you don't.
Well yeah, you don’t need Office to work at McDonald’s or jerk off in your NEET basement.
That’s not the reason, dumb Lintoddler.

Look, mom! I've answered to all of them!

Imagine being THIS much of a seething NEET

Attached: B12552C6-D153-48F8-9C72-5B97A96EEB24.gif (200x200, 102K)

Excel counterpart is shit.

stupidity and microsoft paid schools to teach that shit to children

Excel's ubiquitousness is the actual confusing thing, schools don't use it, and it literally has no purpose in a business environment.
Any usecase it may have can be fulfilled by middle schooler tier programming knowledge.
employees who cannot program at a middle school level should not be employees

>
Excel's ubiquitousness is the actual confusing thing, schools don't use it, and it literally has no purpose in a business environment.
Hello neet

Python, or some other babby language, and/or a database of some description can do literally everything excel can and a metric fuckload more at that.
I hate to advocate for python, but despite the fact that most scripting langs are garbage, they're not feces shoved in a blender and fed to the partially senile, like excel is.

Other than being a way to advertise just how retarded you are, what purpose does excel serve?

>doesn’t understand that excels integration with .NET, SQL, VBA etc as well as Pivot etc is what makes it industry standard.
Just google Excel jobs.
Over 100+ in Greater London alone, some paying as high as £500 per day

>Most people that use word are fairly technically illiterate
yes, millions of chemists and physicists writing manuscrips are illiterate

some people just have bigger fish to fry

In my Physics class we used the shit outta it. I set up a few macros for giving me the standard deviation n sheit. I still use it to this day for shit like that

>That’s not the reason
Yes it is, retard.

Wait, I just realized this is a bait.
>Can tell you don’t have a real job.
Less than 5% jobs require you to have an office suite. So you've just proven that you're an unemployed shill or work in an irrelevant low wage field.

Probably has more to with it being slow and shitty as fuck. Also, Writer is as close as LibreOffice gets to Office. It's not even playing in the same league in any of its other components.

>inserting references for academic works
who the fuck uses an office suite for that.. use latex already

> Calc cant compete with Excel. I need Pivot Charts all the time.
Calc can do Pivot Charts all the time.

10 years academic here, using word for everything same as everybody else that I know of

Most people using MS Office can't handle any icon or other thing being in a different spot and have no desire to learn anything new even if it costs their employer $100 a year.

It doesn't matter that various parts of the Office suite are terrible as compared to the competition and/or fully imitated minus the icons. Unlike learning anything new, it doesn't very much feel like their problem.

Typical for most academics, actually. Even they generally learned just Word or something in school. Only very few could theoretically handle LaTeX or such right now.

And the first world universities pretty much all got deals to make Microsoft Office cheap enough that nobody really worries about it vs. the upset among staff when anything changes or Word is not available.

Even most academics aren't that great, and usually if they're great it's in exactly one way which doens't necessarily include elevated computer literacy.

Nothing holds a candle to one note. It has permanently delayed my switch to Linux.

What the fuck does it do? It's just a notepad on cloud, isn't it?

Libre is okay. I also use use. The hobbyists that use Linux prefer open office because it's prettier.

t. Never worked in an office ever

Fonts != formatting.
It is unacceptable that layouts get fucked and tables break in FreetardOrifice.
Even Kingsoft doesn’t have this issue.

Everywhere that doesn't use MS Office uses Google Docs. LibreOffice can't even compete with a webapp.

Microsoft bribes aside, Libreoffice is really fucking slow and resource hog. It still uses fucking java and starts for a whole 10s from ssd.

It doesn't even take 7s off a HDD here.

And sure, .NET trash is more convenient on Windows when it's already loaded... the usual Microsoft sitaution.

Office is THE standard in the corporate world. Libreoffice is fine for personal use, but still sucks compared to Office. The moment you have to interact with the outside world, you are basically forced to use Microsoft tools.
Sorry to pop your bubble, virgins.

I think they might have made a more basic cloud style version recently but what I'm talking about is the full on desktop OneNote program. You can have multiple notebooks with multiple tabs with multiple subsections which you can put notes, tables, screen clippings, all sorts of stuff. When you copy and paste things it will automatically include a little note of the time and the URL the text came from. Things like that, it's just the best program for collecting and organizing notes ever.

Open calc
Type on stuff
Oh it's all wrong
Hit del
A fucking context menu opens up

So mad i aint even greentexting. Libre office ui and usability is premordial tier.

Wait, I just realized this is bait. Even my shoddy part-time warehouse shift lead job requires extensive and very regular use of Excel, especially pivot tables, or we would be very running a highly inefficient operation.

Its interface and icons look like shitware from the 90s and it's slow as fuck.

Attached: 1541270810724.jpg (1920x1200, 824K)

>Letter writing, resumes, inserting references for academic work
Both can be done in Writer
>excel integration
I said needing excel was understandable
>designing brochures, eBooks, 3D models, charts
Why would you do any of those in Ms Word?

So it's basically word? You can do all that there.

I need it at work because we have 365 exchange, regular exchange and years and years of work, macros, automatic sheets and stuff are on office.

Makes our life more easy and the goddamn rich owners of the place sign every check. Why we would switch to librestuff ? Great at home tho.

>inserting references for academic
Can tell you never had a real education. I am sorry but no serious academic uses the brainfart that is Word.

>eBooks
You have to be mentally ill to design an ebook in word, it's the most retarded idea imaginable.

And word is basically notepad. No.

>And word is basically notepad

I don't even use text editors that much, but it's absolutely not, if you don't use all of the Word's functionality it doesn't mean it's not there

Other than possibility a desire to use extensions like MathType, I cannot possibly justify the knee jerk reaction that Office zealots have for LibreOffice. Common arguments against LibreOffice include:

>I opened a docx file in LibreOffice and LibreOffice displayed it wrong!
>Muh Microsoft Ribbon Toolbar*

docx doesn't work perfectly in LibreOffice because it is by design. Microsoft says "FUCK YOU". Intercompatibility of docx does not appear to be problem if you are using "Open Strict XML Docx" or whatever it is called.

ALTERNATIVELY you could stop being a damn baby and use .odt because .odt works everywhere (except Office 2007 which borks .odt 2.0 but works fine for .odt 1.0).

Regardin the Microsoft Ribbon Toolbar, you can configure LibreOffice to use it instead of their setup. I put a * because many Office users were buttmad when Microsoft introduced the Ribbon Toolbar. It is for this reason that many Office users continue using Office 2003, despite a severe lack of support.

I followed your exact steps and did not run into the problem that you did. I am thinking that either you did not adequately describe what you did or that you are a twit.

>muh tells me the date I added a note
Basically the only thing different, and you can do that manually in less than 5 seconds.

>one example is everything it can do
>saving 5 seconds, hundreds of times through automaton isn't the entire point of software

Ive met a stunning number of physicist and chemists who dont know the first thing about technology, and are functionally tech illiterate. Just because youre in stem doesnt mean youre suddenly also a tech guru, im not sure what point youre trying to convey. Tech literacy isnt hard, with enough time i feel anyone can learn it, chemists and physicists arent special.

>inserting references for academic work
lil babby cannot into references for academic work without doing it the microsoft way

Attached: Bibliographic.png (1025x526, 67K)

>It still uses fucking java and starts for a whole 10s from ssd.
Are you sure you aren't running everything off of a micro SD card? It doesn't even take 10 seconds off of a harddrive

Works on my machine.

>or work in an irrelevant low wage field