*Blocks your path*

*Blocks your path*
Off to coding boot camp for you.

Attached: 4457288F-EFA5-43FD-921F-CC02EDDAA5A0.jpg (1585x1600, 479K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mathsisfun.com/calculus/integration-introduction.html
youtube.com/watch?v=aw_VM_ZDeIo
youtube.com/watch?v=DRFyNHdVgUA
youtube.com/watch?v=V6nTsxumjgU
youtube.com/watch?v=Sku6tgmHXXs
tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/IntegralsIntro.aspx
instagram.com/acidjazzsinger
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But I've already taken
Calc 1,2,3
Differential equations
Linear algebra
It's not hard, you just need to study it

Math only becomes interesting when you understand the huge underlying body of logic needed to actually prove things formally, and how that can be built up from some simple-ish axioms and definitions.

If you can't even pass lower division math courses you don't belong in CS.

Just today I finally passed Calculus after my third attempt.
>tfw im actually proud of myself, now time to learn linear algebra

Calc is only bad if you're dealing with a college with genuinely poor instruction or one using their math dept as a money maker. A lot of clapistani colleges abuse the fact that they can use it to bilk money out of kids with course retakes because they can turn around and say the kid is bad at math. Meanwhile, the Central yuro kid who already knows the stuff already wipes his ass with the exams.

Attached: 1424828920480.jpg (462x462, 79K)

In retrospect calculus wasn't really that hard and I'm not sure why people, including myself, have/had so much trouble understanding it. Calculus seems so intuitive now but back when I was learning this stuff at uni it seemed so obscure.

Weird how that works. Doesn't really matter now. I've passed all my basic calculus a differential equations courses a long time ago so it's not something that concerns me anymore.

Attached: 1541548845981.png (1200x960, 584K)

at some point math stops being busy class work and becomes an art form. My intelligence only brought me to finishing calc 2 and I was just barely good enough at it to understand how beautiful it is and how god-like it's applications are.

What the actual fuck?
Why do people think this is hard?
Limits are really simple. I had a harder time learning C then I did learning Calculus.

>register for calc 1
>professor is pissy old lady
>15-25 hw questions three times a week
>quizzes on stuff she didn't cover
>still thought I understood the material but was getting fucked on these quizzes
>dropped the class

I'm attempting it again this spring with a professor who has solid reviews on ratemyprofessor so fingers crossed. Then onto Calc 2 and discrete math.

Attached: fuck.jpg (500x256, 16K)

Forgot to add she had us remember vocab definitions of certain principles to the letter and would take off points if you didn't word it exactly.

Fuck her.

I think the issue is that there's a lot of memorization, and if you don't manage to see the beauty and usefulness in it it seems like you are just rote learning obscure algorithms for some shit you won't ever encounter in your life (which is admittedly kinda true).
Also calculus is probably the first course when you begin to understand things a little more in depth than just moving some terms around and substituting a few variables.

Yeah, my point exactly. Getting past that initial phase when everything kinda seems like a random string of symbols you have to apply some arbitrary rote memorized algorithms to is the hard part.

Similar experience. Never take an old lady math teacher.

Calculus made me realize I'm not as smart as I thought I was. Passed it on my third try and it broke my spirit

I would recommend obtaining and reading the No Bullshit Guide to Math and Physics if you find your college courses lacking. I read it long after I got my degree, but it made me realize that math didn't have to hurt.

I'm feeling that way with discreet math right now, my exam grades aren't bad and the concepts are pretty simple, however I'm having difficulty fully understanding how we "proved" some things. I thought calculus wasn't too bad though, if you stop thinking of it as difficult and just realize it's a lot of plug and play, it gets easier. (With the exception of multivariable maybe, setting up double and triple integrals correctly can be very challenging at first).

Tfw when calculus exan final is in 2 weeks and i have no idea hoe to do integration, area under the curve or that volume stuff

Check out this website, It breaks everything down into very simple terms and I found it very helpful when I took cal 2 specifically.

mathsisfun.com/calculus/integration-introduction.html

Dunno what university you went to but that wouldn't be too useful over here. Not a shitton of proofs, no needlessly complicated and quirky exercises, no memorizing formulas for doing things quickly.
Learning the concepts is pretty easy, the devil is in the details.

Yeah, I think it really clicked for me some time after I finished my courses and actually had to apply what I learned in the course of some control system design work I was doing.

It's all induction.

Nah, he's fucked. You can't learn calculus in 2 weeks even working 12 hours per day lol. Unless it's a very basic course.

Hang in there. Have hope. My BS was Math, and I didn't feel the magic key turn to discrete, vector calc, or diff eqs until after I took real analysis. The problem is you can't start there until you have some exposure to lots of formal math concepts in the other courses. But... toward the end of RA I remember having a eureka moment when helping a friend with his vector calc homework. Suddenly all the esoteric stuff made sense because I could tie it back to one of the proofs or theorems we studied.

i guess its only bad if you go to a bad institute
and fuck .. trust me, i got to Swinburne

What about physics?

I swear to God it has a solution, but don't want to expend the whole day solving it.

An infinitesimal gap will never cause the boxes to break apart because the sideways force on the boxes would be infinitesimal. You could probably compute what would happen if they were a finite distance apart and take the limit of that as it approaches 0, but really the scenario is a troll like those questions are.

Unironically this.

You don't ever use Calculus in programming unless you're doing physics.

user
You also understand, there are in fact some people out there who will not ever get it, no matter how much time they sink in or mentorship they get.

Sure induction is one of the major ideas but that's like saying calculus is all derivatives.

I think 2 weeks is more than enough time to learn integration, which is what he said he was having trouble with.

This kills the cs monkey

Attached: math exam SampleWritten.png (698x1576, 88K)

I really struggled through my linear algebra class and didn't really get the core concepts. Years later I took a 3D graphics course that was all about linear algebra and very quickly it all made perfect sense. Why the fuck wasn't it taught like this to begin with? A math concept that takes me hours to understand makes sense right away if it's expressed as an algorithm.

It's been around...7 years since I graduated from uni. I feel like I've forgotten a lot of calculus.

Like this for example
Some of it looks familiar, some other parts don't. The most complicated math I've needed on the job was geometry (CNC machine programming, the software side not the actual machining side).

i skipped every calc 3 class and passed with a 60. this is at a school ranked in the top 20 for math and cs.

CS math is a gatekeeping thing. Most only involve memorization, and you probably won't ever use it in your career. You'll forget most of it 3 years after you graduate. But it's necessary because some day one of you might run into it, and by that time an old lightbulb will go pop in your head and you can say "Oh I have dealt with this before", and you'll be thankful for that.

This is all trivial, literally any person who did CS at my uni should be able to solve this.

>*Blocks your path*
Leveled on the first take all three. Now I dream of fucking Calculus

I get it, I just don't practice it.

you pretty much just had to ask to pass at my university and they'd pass you for calc 3. they failed most calc 2 students though. fucking weird math dept.

My college professor didnt forget to remind us 26345346 times every lecture that what we are studying is basically high school math, then failed to solve every second problem he demonstrated on blackboard.
There werent any books for my course, he didnt have anything prepared, failed more than 75% students on exams, while I know at least about 7 people who found out he marked their tests wrong.

Bailed out of that shitty school, went rather to Informatics Economics instead, the way people were treated here is 100 times better.
My only regret is that there is no physics here :/

I hate it when the questions are easy but I still struggle with it because it's been years since I actually used any calculus/linear algebra.

It takes time to become familiar with all the weird little edge cases and to build up the experience to know what method to apply

I would probably fail at 1.(4) because of imperial shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=aw_VM_ZDeIo
youtube.com/watch?v=DRFyNHdVgUA
youtube.com/watch?v=V6nTsxumjgU
youtube.com/watch?v=Sku6tgmHXXs

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/IntegralsIntro.aspx

Highly ranked almost never means being harder for undergraduates. It just basically means it's an older institution and has published more research papers.
In fact Ivy League colleges tend to be easier so trust fund kids can actually get their degree.

Already forgot how to do optimization and related rates lol :)

But they give you the conversion, and you should be able to work in even made up units if necessary

Do you include number theory in with this?

nah, average graduating GPA was under 3.0 and you need to score in the top 99.8% percentile on the SAT to get in. Not an ivy league with legacy admission either.

So much this.
In my uni the most asshole teachers are the ones that keep their job the longest.

Attached: download.png (208x243, 9K)

calc-based physics 1/2 are required here

>Linear Algebra
>Calculus
>Logic
>Physics

Attached: DPR pp_3045.jpg (225x224, 6K)

I've done all that as part of my physics bachelor degree. Where should I start learning programming? I have a C book and Elixir book on the way. Good?

Interesting choices. Since you're a physicist you'd get the most mileage out of Python imo. You can learn it all online.

Funny that you should say that. I've tried learning python, both on my own and by following the MIT online course, the one that used to use SICP and scheme, but now they teach using python. But it feels like I am learning python, not programming. People say C is verbose, but I don't know if it's me being weird but I like the verbosity, it feels like I can follow the compiler/code more easily and can see what's going on. In python it seems like a lot of the stuff that's happening is hidden behind functions, like a black box, input in, output out. And once you know what kind of input gets you the output there is no need to know the contents of the box. Is this what you call abstraction?

This is the litteraly the only class I'm good in

Is it public or private?

Jow Forums passed discrete math, right? You should be able to do this

Attached: math oral exam questions.png (666x892, 88K)

>made it in with a 58% in the retard math
Outta my way fag

Attached: 6955074.jpg (244x244, 8K)

Pretty dumb questions, most of these are just "definition", really easy or really badly posed, and then there are a couple of ones with "that weird trick that you never use again" and 13 isn't even a question.

Pretty easy, that's precalc stuff.
They're guidelines for an oral exam. A student won't be asked all of them, they're just things you need to prepare.

how the fuck is that even 14 ~16 year old maths

This, you're better off knowing the pleb filter shit before you get to college and getting your credits on admission. If you wait until you're in college to try and learn calc from a person who genuinely doesn't give a shit about teaching it to you, you wont learn it (unless of course you have the ephiphany to skip the lectures and learn the material from YouTube videos).

good work, user

sounds like something that needed to be brought to administration. guy still teaching there?

I'm not American so I don't know about the American educational system but isn't calculus for children?

Is calculus generally a term used by americans? I'm sure we learn this here in australia but no one ever says calculus. I haven't studied any maths for quite a while but quadratic formulas are part of calculus right? And other functions?

This kills the CSfag

Attached: media_ad6_ad6cc9eb-3cba-4dc7-8406-329f760afeaa_image.jpg (700x215, 40K)

f(x)

Or graphics programming

i survived math all the necessary calculus
> how about choosing this incredibly hard course instead of some easy GPA boosting assignment
fuck off, i am gonna have a degree and you can all suck it.

Reminder that mathematics is the ultimate brainlet filter.

Attached: 1539394135605.jpg (1024x1004, 60K)

Not so fast.

Attached: 89ebff5a-8b0d-4680-9f21-0f36f187f828..png (2448x1440, 68K)

Attached: IMG_20181113_161649_696.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

>it's upside down
well, guess the world will never know my genius.

>tfw failed calculus and transferred from CS to software engineering
And I regret nothing, walked out of uni $80k/yr with a full time offer from my university managed work placement.
I think they're worried I'm going to leave so I just broke 6 figures in a pay rise 2 years in.

Attached: asuka.jpg (720x960, 154K)

Oh god not episilon theta proofs I fucking studied my ass off so I wouldn't have to see this shit again

Idk what all this is
T. 2nd line helpdesk

we do
and you don't have any

The eternal Aussie strikes again!

Imagine failing calculus. Like jesus christ how? I can understand failing physics or even algorithms and data structures but calculus was piss easy for someone who has gotten B-s and C-s in math their whole life.

did anyone ever find the source of dis

instagram.com/acidjazzsinger

Attached: 14073359_1144358722303762_1960840164_n.jpg (640x640, 62K)

*blocks you're path*

Attached: 29066665_482515108813475_3066375834760014002_n.jpg (960x720, 326K)

Thank user, you are an angel.

I don't recall ever using calculus after college (graduated in 2012).
Has anyone else?

Depending on the course and rigor level expected, calculus can be pretty easy or exceedingly challenging for somebody who doesn't have a lot of math experience.
It's not a clearly delineated thing that would be pretty much the same everywhere as, say, learning C would be.

Wrong

Holy shit, someone finally found her. Wasn't she some mystery that seemed to have vanished except for that and some other pic? Think I read a post from some user that had tried every thing to find her.

>I have difficulty understanding multiplication and addition

bruh...

Can someone give us a rundown of the full story again?

it's a dude

>he actually needed to "study" math to get it

you didn't?

>he didn't just learn the fundamental thereon of calculus and then derived all necessary subsequent thereoms on the spot during the test

Attached: namaste_qt_alternative_girl_meme.jpg (1174x1280, 758K)

I can't do that in the time it takes to finish the test and solve every problem

My CS degree didn't even have any mandatory calculus courses, probably because they realised calculus is actually useless for CS. Only linear algebra, statistics, and most logic stuff were the required courses from the mathematics department.
I did end up doing a first year calculus course anyway, but it was pretty boring.

Attached: 1374578017276.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

>implying doing a 2x2 matrix multiplication is hard

Are you retarded?