>25
>slowly losing friends
>loneliness setting in
>all of a sudden, a speck of hope
>old friend from HS contacts me
>instantly remember the good times, small tear down my cheek
>make small talk for a while
>after 5 minutes the hard truth
>"Hey look I remember you do computer science right? I have this project for which I need a website, can you help me out?"

Every. Fucking. Time.
If it's not a website, it's an app. Or a broken laptop. Or a suggestion on which phone to buy.

Goddammit why did I choose to git gud at computers?

Attached: pepe.jpg (225x225, 9K)

Because you never have been the one in control.

Because you're an insufferable asshole

This is a feels thread, you fucking niggeroo.

Tell them to use some website builder shit and say it's better and faster
Then never talk to them again

For me it's boomers.

>hey user, you are good with computers right
>can you help me configure

I mean, I can look over the preferences menu to see if maybe there is an option that looks like it might do what they want or simply Google their problem. But all of this they could literally do themselves. Stupid lazy boomers.

Make some projects and get networking.
People really trust on you because your education.

Usually friend know friend than know money person or company need software.

Same thing happens to doctors,lawyers,account,graphics design ...

give them your rates and wait for their next email

this.

coming out of highschool I would occasionally get calls from assholes "with this amazing idea for a website/app" most of them pussy out when you tell them you aren't working for charity. A few actually paid up and most of those went to shit anyways because the ideas were trash to begin with. But don't ignore the offers or turn them down. I actually got a job as a kernel dev after one of these 'idea' offers and the project was successful enough to add weight to my resume when I went looking for a real job after.

>waaaaah
>why do people want to throw money at me

why indeed, I just want to be loved

They are just people you know. They arent friends. Just trade ur helps with em and ditch the ones refusing to pay u back with their time and patience.

It happened again guys. Literally 6 hours after posting this, a different friend asked me to look into an hard disk replacement for her.
Should I just reply with the obvious joke and tell her to fuck off?

At least
They remember you

Attached: IMG_20181018_082355.jpg (1536x2048, 175K)

boomers are what keeps my tech repair service in business

>be me
stopped reading there

>>be me
stopped reading there

yes

you will always be "the it guy"

> be that guy
> obnoxious nerd
> no friends at all
> have to sarcastically comment on imageboards, fishing for (You)s
> nobody respects an oldfag like me
Why do these redditors always start their posts with "be me"? You don't belong here, fuck off.

>be me
*BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM*
>old friend from HS
*BANG* *BANG*

ahhh, remember to help keep Jow Forums safe boys. Aint no rest for the wicked

Attached: sheriff pepe.jpg (668x722, 174K)

monies is a form of love

Only newfags call themselves oldfags, you fucking newfag.
>inb4 I've been here since 2015 dumb reddit XDXD

But I'm that guy from , address your post to him.

Do you feel in control?

If you need the work then setup a meeting, be professional, and layout your terms. Okay so they want to build a website. Great. Do you even do web devolopment on the regular? I sure as shit don't. I'm stuck in the cages with headphones on working on old ass servers trying to unfuck other peoples mistakes. I don't know HTML at all. Don't feel bad user if you price them out but if they go for it get it in writing and notarized because if they want to hire you go ahead make money doing it.

So your going to web dev for their stupid hipster vape site then tell them it's $100/hr with a minimum 10 hours a week. That will get their attention because holy shit that's a lot of money. You're going to 1099 the job anyway so just set your own wages. If they counteroffer say "Thats my rate. If you don't like it find someone else." You'd be surprised how often someone just signs the paper. Now you have a contract with them to do the work. 10/hrs a week is 2/hr/day. Just to build a fucking website.

Before you all this though you HAVE to make sure that the company is formed legitimately. If they don't have an LLC or Corp setup walk away. Actually run away. Say I don't work with unlicensed and non corporate entities. That's to protect you. Trust me you don't want to work for someone that is too lazy to setup an LLC.

So go out and setup a meeting you might be surprised what happens.

Good luck user. Hope you find some new friends at the bar.

Attached: wha.jpg (746x746, 84K)

Attached: nevadatan.jpg (1000x1370, 228K)

Become a whore, then.

>whenever some friend of a friend or distant cousin finds out you're a "programmer"
>OH THATS COOL WE SHOULD MAKE A VIDEO GAME IVE HAD THIS IDEA

Does it ever stop?

No, that's why I'm also at computers.

i don't think that's how that works user. unless you want to wind up loved while being dead in a ditch with you bits cut off and shoved into your throat

starting greentexts with "be me" has always been a Jow Forums thing you fucking newfag

Ok first of all, nice dubs. Second, I don't need to take up a shitty webdev job, because even at 100€/h it's almost never worth it. I've been there so many times, especially when I was a kid.
They agree to the initial terms, "ok whatev just tell me how much it is", maybe even pay you on time upon delivery, and then the fucking tech support begins. And they're sneaky at that: the request is never small enough to tell them "do it yourself", but it's also never big enough that they can't play the "make me a friendly favour" card.
Once, I picked up a job for a charity-type thing for old people, which was just a basic website in wordpress. They kept coming back for 5 years, with their "but we don't have money as an association" and their "do it for the poor old ladies", making you feel guilty if you didn't do it.
Friends are even worse, often offering to pay with "shares" of whatever shitty startup they're building.
(contd.)

>imagine being at computers

My point is not that I need to make the fucking 1000€ with a side job. I make almost 40k/y doing a phd in Switzerland, I'm living the life. The point is that people in general don't see you as nothing more than "that guy who knows stuff about the 'puters XD".
There's no point in telling them that you moved on with your life. They don't realize that a high-end education in CS means that, if anything, you're LESS prone to code their shitty app. They just want to suck your soul out of you, take what they can, and then move on because you're literally part of the infrastructure.
Think about it. You're not someone that builds, or thinks, or contributes to a project with computers. You ARE the computer, to them. You're nothing more than a smart keyboard that does what they don't want to think about.
(contd. because now I want to get it all out)

And don't even get me started about the "tech advice" and laptop repairs.
First of all, fucking use google, bitch. It's literally the effort of typing 5 words on a keyboard and clicking the first link.
Second, make your own opinion about stuff, BEFORE coming to me for help. But no, they decide to scratch their normie itch with a new phone, so they just contact the personal shopper (me) to choose it for them.
And the best part? If it works, then they have their new cool gadget to show off. If it doesn't then it YOUR fucking fault. Like you made the phone with your own hands.
Same holds for repairs. I've had a person telling me that the issue they had with their laptop was because I didn't clean it properly a year before. A fucking dinosaur from 2000 with WinME.

All the "the internet doesn't work"s, "the ipad is acting up"s, "this assignment is too hard"s. FUCK. THEM.

I just want to have a normal life, with normal friends, not being the IT support for people that don't care about me.

well you're either hideously ugly, anti-social or smell bad/look sketchy. You should be able to still make lots of new friends despite your career choice, blaming CS for your lack of friends is a meme.

hey user i get it i really do. but again if someone wants to come to you for "professional advice" then give them a quote. they are literally asking for your professional opinion on something in your field. which in my mind means you need to be paid for your services.

>fucking tech support begins
support is different from development. that's a different fee. "oh you need on site support? that's $500/hr." price it out! you want people to stop begging for your help. price it out! you don't work for free at your job why would you do it for other people?

>nothing more than "that guy who knows stuff about the 'puters XD"
not much you can do about that unless you get another hobby. for example I love hockey. going to hockey games is a great way to meet new people with similar interests. if you don't want to get into sports try something else. you dont' need to be "that computer guy" if you don't want to be. if they keep pressuring you into working for them basically go "i'm not at work and i don't want to work for you unless you pay me what i'm quoting. if not then fuck off"

>normal life, with normal friends, not being IT support
see above... but once you figure out how to have a normal life please report back because i'm 33 and i still haven't figured that part out yet.

again good luck user but it sounds like you need a beer and play some fucking vidya

I obviously have social problems, yes.
Doesn't change the fact that people are shit

You're probably right user, it's just that life just feels really shitty lately.
I just want to escape the void (if that even makes sense as a sentence).
Thanks for the advice tho

anytime user

Attached: no-prob.jpg (468x720, 47K)